Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.2.4.1
    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:17pm
I notice a new release for the IFD 100.  Is there a new release for the panel mounts coming also?  What will this provide?

Edited by teeth6 - 14 Oct 2019 at 9:19pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:45pm
FYI - if you're using an older generation iPad for your IFD100 (mine was an original iPad mini with iOS 9.3.6), this IFD100 update (version 10.2.8) may not fully function as I experienced. All of the previous IFD100 versions had been fully functional on that iPad mini. I started a thread regarding this issue in the IFD100 section of the forum a few days ago. To be quite honest, that original iPad mini's primary function was to run the IFD100 because, unlike most other apps, it still could run the latest version of the IFD100 app (until this most recent update). I knew its continued days of usefulness were very limited.

I can report that this IFD100 update runs flawlessly on newer generation iPad Pros, and now my new iPad mini (5th generation) running iOS 13.1.2 connected to an IFD540 running software 10.2.3.1. There is a list of new features and fixes for this update in the App Store. For my setup, the one functional fix I noticed was the returned ability to edit the Designated Fix point on the IFD100.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I notice a new release for the IFD 100.  Is there a new release for the panel mounts coming also?  What will this provide?
It's a minor release containing several bug fixes and no significant new features.  It's close, but I'm not exactly sure when it will be out.  We wanted to get the IFD100 out sooner just because it contained a few significant bug fixes (particularly the ability to show 429 traffic).  I'll have release notes once the release is imminent.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

(10.2.4.1) ... It's close, but I'm not exactly sure when it will be out.  .... I'll have release notes once the release is imminent.

Well, that is news!

Did I just hear trumpets??

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Oct 2019 at 1:39pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:51pm
Think it was a saxophone. 😂
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:28pm
If the IFD100 app updates to 10.2.4.1, will it stop working with an IFDx40 running 10.2.3.1?
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:49pm
The IFD100 app update advertises compatibility with with IFDx40/IFDx45 software 10.2.4.1 and earlier. I personally had issues with the app update on vintage original iPad mini (see IFD100 thread); however, on newer iPads, the app has worked flawlessly for me connected to my IFD540 running 10.2.3.1.

BTW - Avidyne suggested another solution that may have worked to get the old iPad mini to work for me with the IFD100 update; however, I had already moved on with a replacement iPad by that point.

Edited by dmtidler - 15 Oct 2019 at 10:51pm
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:35am
It looks like im having this same issue with an old ipad. Id rather keep the ipad - is it possible to redownload the older ifd 100 software version?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Rmurphy5 Rmurphy5 wrote:

It looks like im having this same issue with an old ipad. Id rather keep the ipad - is it possible to redownload the older ifd 100 software version?
Nope, that's an Apple thing...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:59pm
Pity it's not flagged as a potential issue as then I would have avoided redownloading the app! 
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
should the SVS view be available on the ifd100 app as well as the 440 unit? I can't remember if it was on the ipad before the update. At present i just have map and chart tabs. Thanks 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm
yes it should
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm
Thanks Teeth, i thought so. Do I need to select an option somewhere? I couldn't see anything obvious in the settings. 
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:45pm
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:47pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
Sorry but I'm not sure why the SVS page doesn't appear on the app.  I didn't think that there was a setting on the app to enable that.   Perhaps, Steve will reply
Fuz16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuz16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:49am
I would check you app settings on your iPad settings.  Make sure you have it set to the correct one.  I have an IFD550 and have it set in my app settings to the 550.  Hope this helps. 
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:55am
Thanks Fuz, ill go check that now, thanks 
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:06pm
Yes thats set ok. Its a very old ipad so i guess the update is the issue. Very annoying as it was ideal for the job until now. I despise Apple products so buying a new one will hurt!

nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:32am
I posted this on the other 10.2.4.1 thread to allow those with older Ipads to be aware...

Yes, unless you are running the OS 9 limit that applies to the older IPads, if you are using an older IPad do not download this update for the 100, it will make your IPad virtually unusable in the cockpit....

Specifically, iOS support for each regular iPad model follows:

Ipad mini 1    (OS 9.35)
Ipad mini 2    (12.XX)
Ipad mini 3    (12.XX)
Ipad mini 4/5  Current system.....

iOS 3.2-iOS 6

iOS

5.x

6.x

Original iPad

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

iPad 2

No

Yes

Yes

Partial*

iPad 3rd Gen

No

No

Yes

Yes

iPad 4th Gen

No

No

No

Yes

Later iPad models cannot run these early versions of the iOS at all. The original iPad cannot run any subsequent versions of the iOS, either.

iOS 7-iOS 13

iOS

7.x

8.x

9.x

10.x

iPad 2

Partial**

Partial**

Partial**

No

iPad 3rd Gen

Partial†

Partial†

Partial†

No

iPad 4th Gen

Yes††

Partial+

Partial+

Partial++

iPad 5th Gen

No

No

No

Yes

iPad 6th Gen

No

No

No

No

iPad 7th Gen

No

No

No

No

iOS

11.x

12.x

13.x

iPad 2

No

No

No

iPad 3rd Gen

No

No

No

iPad 4th Gen

No

No

No

iPad 5th Gen

Yes

Yes‡

Yes♦

iPad 6th Gen

Yes

Yes

Yes♦

iPad 7th Gen

No

No

Yes

Sauce

Edited by nrproces - 12 Jan 2020 at 8:33am
Sauce
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
so will an ipad mini 3 work ok?
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:15am
What OS is the Ipad mini 3 running?

On an iPad

To find software version installed on your device, go to Settings > General, then tap About.

Any iPad mini 2 or later has a 64 bit processors.

This basically means any iPad released on/after November 2013.

In terms of iOS devices generally any device with an Apple A7 or later chip will be 64-bit.

Your Ipad will run 12.x.x but some features are not supported or other details should be reviewed.

and lastly, you can "jailbreak" your Ipad, but that is for a different day or conversation.

Edited by nrproces - 12 Jan 2020 at 10:35am
Sauce
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:54am
I was going to buy an ipad mini 3 and thought it might be sure to run the software. Is that not the case?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:57am

I was going to buy an ipad mini 3 and thought it might be sure to run the software. Is that not the case?

You might be better off getting a 4, now that the 5 is out its price should be going down.

I got a deal on my 4 mini, that and Jepp's move to FF and the IFD100 app finally forced it. But still, it really galled me to have to buy an overpriced tablet, essentially a single purpose device, just to run Foreflight.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Jan 2020 at 10:59am
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:59am
Thanks for all the help. I was thinking a 3 as it is a bit smaller and where i have the m ijni mounted the neater the better.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 11:00am
If you want to ensure that your system will run, buy an Ipad mini 5 and trade in the old one. I would wait for a couple months if you don't need it immediately and get a refurbished one from apple. Here are the relevant URL's, but like I said "jail breaking" is an option if the Ipad you are considering is really inexpensive.  (less than 100 dollars or so)

https://www.apple.com/us/shop/goto/trade_in#tradeup-app

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad

Edited by nrproces - 12 Jan 2020 at 11:05am
Sauce
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
AFAIK - I believe all the minis are the same length and width; my mini 5 was the same length and width as my original mini. There may be slight changes in depth as well as ports, camera, and side button locations.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
The 5 is just enough different that I had to order a new RAM cradle for it -- you can force a 5 into the old one, but it really puts a lot of pressure on it. Also, the camera is positioned slightly differently, I believe.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Sorry but I'm not sure why the SVS page doesn't appear on the app.  I didn't think that there was a setting on the app to enable that.   Perhaps, Steve will reply
On your 440, is the F500 option enabled?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 3:12am
hi Steve, im not sure but this all worked before updating the ifd version and a nav update on both the ifd and 440. Is that an option that is set at purchase? Sorry for the bad photo but I took it by chance the other night. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:44am
Try doing the "factory defaults" thing on your IFD100.  Do that by starting the IFD100, touching the gear icon in the upper right corner, then touching the yellow exclamation point at the bottom.

Then, reconnect the IFD100 to your IFD440.  After the two have had time to communicate, you should get a blue alert saying "Config Modified" on the IFD100.  Once you get that, completely close the IFD100 app and restart it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:54am
I will try that Steve. I notice that when i have the ifd open it will have 25mhz for the setting of the radio while the 440 is 8.33 mhz as required here in the UK. I would have expected the ifd to mirror the settings in the 440? 
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:28pm
Hey guys!

Been awhile since I've been around. Looks like lots of great new features added.

I've actually been busy flying and having fun with my 540 and ifd100 ;) , so I'm still on 10.2.2. I can't remember how I downloaded last time without having a dealer portal account, but I think someone sent me a direct link.

How do us mere mortals get the 2.4.1 build, and do I need any incremental updates from 10.2.2.0?

Thanks!

Jim
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
I believe the latest release for your IFD540 is 10.2.3.1. The latest release version of the IFD100 is App Store version 10.2.8 which shows as S/W Ver: 10.2.4.1 on the IFD100 AUX-SYS-Software Status screen.

AFAIK - Avidyne has not released 10.2.4.1 for the IFD5xx-4xx yet. There are no incremental updates to go from version 10.2.2.0 or 10.2.2.0.A to version 10.2.3.1.

I believe the logbook signoff requirements are covered at that download site should you decide to not have an Avidyne dealer perform the software update.

Regards

comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:03pm
Ha, the guy on the video is TJ! And looks like 10.1.x or higher works for 10.2.3.1 

Thanks for the link!

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:43pm

I will try that Steve. I notice that when i have the ifd open it will have 25mhz for the setting of the radio while the 440 is 8.33 mhz as required here in the UK. I would have expected the ifd to mirror the settings in the 440? 
Some (most?) settings don't transfer between boxes.  Perhaps that one should - I'll talk to our IFD100 guy.  Until then, you'll have to set the IFD100 to do 8.33 as well.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Rmurphy5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rmurphy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 4:29am
When i do change it it says Config Modified and wants to be restarted. Is that normal for any setting change? Also in the 440 i have a user profile called 'Rohan' but the ifd only ever has user-1. Is it supposed to copy the setting profile over? Im guessing not based on what you said about the frequency. It would be good if it could. 
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
Any news, my baby is in for its two year checks, hoping I could get er done at the same time.
Sauce
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:29pm
No news yet.  It's been submitted, just not signed off.  Still hoping for January, but I realize that only lasts a couple more days...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:14am
Thanks, appreciate the news...
Sauce
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:26pm
will they upgrades still require installation sign-off and A&P-IA approval in the logs.? 

I see Garmin has a new G5 software upgrade available for download available to everyone. 
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:56pm
FYI - Even though the G5 updates for certified aircraft are available for download, the Garmin support site has this statement regarding updating the software on the G5’s:

If you have a G5 for Certificated Aircraft, please have its software updated at an avionics shop. Software updates change the functionality on the unit, which for certificated aircraft, require a logbook entry.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 3:20pm
It's released and available!  I started a new thread.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic