Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

60 day free jeppesen trial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 day free jeppesen trial
    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 1:37am
Just got a 440 and signed up for the 60 day free trial for Avidyne owners.  It says you will here from a Jeppesen rep within 48 hours to get your info.  I have not heard anything.  Anyone have any luck with this?

Thanks,
Yoram
SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:48pm
I'm in the exact same boat. I plan on calling Jepp on Monday.
mfuesting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfuesting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:27am
I am new recent owner, too.  It took them about a week to contact me back.
Also be aware, that in about 3-4 weeks later they will auto invoice you for an annual renewal of the this plan at slightly over $1,000.  I spent 6-8 hours trying to tell them (on the phone and chat text to support) I didn't want the full meal deal renewal and ask that they re-invoice me for the annual $299 data only renewal, but never did get them to do it.  I went on their website and created a new invoice for data only plan and paid that one, and ignored the original invoice.  It's still there in my account, but so far they haven't sent Guido to break my kneecaps.
The data plan works nicely, but there support department isn't quite as good as the chipmonks in my back yard!

Mike L Fuesting
mfuesting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfuesting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 7:08pm
An update!!!

I was taken back by today's response from "The Rapid Response Team" about a week after contacting you.

Over a 2 day period about a week ago, I spent over 6 hours on the phone and on chats with several different areas of Jeppesen support and they told me that they couldn't do anything and I had to contact you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have attached the 2 chat logs from the hours of waiting that actually bore fruit and I got to chat with someone.  Probably 70 to 80 times I was on the chat and would watch my Que # go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to1 and then instead of a helpful chat session, the message "all agents are busy now, try again later" would pop up and I was SOL.  Try again SUCKER!!!  The 2 times I did manage to get through, I was told "Oh, I can't help you, You need to go to this other place to get help with that, which I did and now you are sending right back into that same waste my time HELL HOLE.

I am utterly discussed with your  company's lack of costumer care and even more so, at the attitude you (lack of care and concern) toward your customers!

I absolutely will not waste anymore of my life on something I did not ask for (this all revolves around a "System" auto-generated renewal invoice) or cause in the first place!

If you can't help me find someone who can or will (if that is even possible) and have them call me at 217-918-0602.

Dr Mike Fuesting

Danville, IL

On 8/25/2020 4:18 PM, Rapid Response Team wrote:
Mike,

You will need to contact avidyne not us. Without their approval I can do nothing.

Thank you,

William Stohlton
General Aviation

Ph:  303-328-4030  Fax: 303.328.4153 |
55 Inverness Drive E | Englewood, CO 80112, USA | www.jeppesen.com
www.jeppesen.com | www.jeppdirect.com |  www.myjeppesen.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:13 PM
To: Rapid Response Team <rapidresponseteam@jeppesen.com>; mfuesting Mike-@Gmail <mfuesting@gmail.com>
Subject: Please cancel renewal invoice #221266314

I recently purchased an Avidyne IFD540 navigator and signed up for the Avidyne/Jeppesen free 60 day trial.

I was automatically invoiced for the annual renewal ( Inv# 221266314 for $1,045).

The install of the navigator had major problems and it didn't work properly.

I still don't have my airplane back with a working navigator to be able to use the data subscription at this time.

I am hoping to have it back soon, but they have given me no indication as to when that might actually happen.

Will you please cancel the present invoice now, and then after I have my plane back with a working navigator, I will head back to the web-site and purchase the coverage that I need.

I've attached a copy of the invoice.

Thank You,

Mike Fuesting
Mike L Fuesting
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 2:27am
Mike, this is very frustrating.  Sorry you are having this much trouble.  I have not heard from them yet. 

Yoram
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 9:22am
Mike, stand by and I'll see what I can do from our end.  Just to be sure, you want the $299 nav data only subscription, correct?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mfuesting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfuesting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 10:49am
Yes, the 299 one is the one that I want to purchase.
Thank You so much!
Mike F

Mike L Fuesting
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 4:24pm
I got a renewal notice for $517.51 (tax included).
I asked what $299 would get and they said Navdata only. So I asked what I got for my 517.51 and they said it’s a billing error and the system wouldn’t let them change to the lower price. So I asked how I would pay the $299.
I shot screen shots but I can’t figure out how to post them here. He did say that you go to shop.jeppesen.com/shop and click on the upper RH corner to access your airplane and subscription type. 
I’m thinking pretty 3rd world for a Boeing company....
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 9:19pm
Jepp/Boeing errors notwithstanding, I’ve had my IFD 540 for 5+ years and I renew the NavData online through Jepp (have not been talking to people). Now it is the $299/year NavData. Works fine and it’s all I need.

I already pay for charts, plates, etc. through Garmin Pilot (which is a much larger screen, much closer to me and much easier to read). I don’t need a duplicate in the panel.

Jim
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 11:46am
I still have not heard from Jeppesen on my 60 day trial.  I dislike when something is advertised but then not available or made difficult to obtain.
May have to just sign up for the $299 deal and move on.  Was hoping to use the 60 day trial to have the most current terrain and obstacle data before going nav only.  I am assuming since I have a new IFD440 that those databases are probably pretty current.

Yoram
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by P35Pilot P35Pilot wrote:

I still have not heard from Jeppesen on my 60 day trial. 

I heard from them. They activated my free trial. Then they sent me a bill for something like $700. WTF?

I haven't had a chance to call them yet to sort this out. That should be fun...NOT!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by P35Pilot P35Pilot wrote:

I still have not heard from Jeppesen on my 60 day trial.  I dislike when something is advertised but then not available or made difficult to obtain.
May have to just sign up for the $299 deal and move on.  Was hoping to use the 60 day trial to have the most current terrain and obstacle data before going nav only.  I am assuming since I have a new IFD440 that those databases are probably pretty current.

Yoram
Contact Bryan Kahl about getting the 60 day trial started. (email is bkahl at avidyne dot com).  I'll let him know to expect an email from you.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:06pm
Historically, this 60 day trial has worked out pretty well so I'm curious why these problems are all of a sudden appearing.  I keep pestering my contacts there about stuff for mfuesting and also for teeth6 (on a different subject).  Seems like a trend, though, so I'll turn up the heat.  Thanks for your patience.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mfuesting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfuesting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:14pm
Thanks, Steve
Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend!
Mike

Mike L Fuesting
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:14pm
Thanks for your follow-up Steve. Very much appreciated.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
Following up on my post earlier about the $700 bill.

I spoke with someone at Boeing/Jeppesen, and they said it was for the renewal once the 60-day trial expires. I explained that I was only going to renew the $299 US plan, and he said he would cancel the $700 invoice and send me one for the $299 renewal.

A few hours later, the revised invoice showed up. All good!

Edited by SoCalIFDpilot - 04 Sep 2020 at 5:58pm
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 6:35pm
Thanks Steve I emailed Bryan. 

Have a great weekend.

Yoram
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 10:19pm
So I received a bill today for $449 from Jeppesen.  I am wondering if they started my 60 day trial without letting me know and just took it upon themselves to sign me up for the $449 plan.

Yoram
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 12:53pm
Check the due date. Most Jeppesen invoices are sent 60 to 90 days ahead.

* Orest
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
Yup, it looks like they started the 60 day trial and did not notify me. Invoice shows due date at end of October. My online jeppesen account shows the same thing.  It allows me to download the current and next cycle which starts on Sept. 10th.
Conclusion,  Set up your jeppesen account and request the 60 day trial.  Check each day to see if it is activated.  Once, 60 days are over purchase the plan you want. That should replace any plan they randomly signed you up for and replace the invoice they sent.

Hope that works and helps others,
Yoram
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:06pm
Remember that you are not locked into any product, even though they are paid annually. You can change the level of paid subscription anytime, and will get a proportionate refund or premium.

* Orest

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by mfuesting mfuesting wrote:

I am new recent owner, too.  It took them about a week to contact me back.
Also be aware, that in about 3-4 weeks later they will auto invoice you for an annual renewal of the this plan at slightly over $1,000.  I spent 6-8 hours trying to tell them (on the phone and chat text to support) I didn't want the full meal deal renewal and ask that they re-invoice me for the annual $299 data only renewal, but never did get them to do it.  I went on their website and created a new invoice for data only plan and paid that one, and ignored the original invoice.  It's still there in my account, but so far they haven't sent Guido to break my kneecaps.
The data plan works nicely, but there support department isn't quite as good as the chipmonks in my back yard!

Mike, I was able to get with Jeppesen today regarding your account.  The rep cancelled the $1045 renewal invoice on your account.  No further action from you is required.  He also verified that your $299 subscription is active.

Check your account just for peace of mind, but I expect you'll see that all is OK now.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mfuesting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfuesting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:40pm
Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Mike L Fuesting
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 2:36pm
First Class support!

* Orest
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 3:33pm
It just would be so nice of Avidyne teamed up with Seattle Avionics to offer an alternative.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:41am
Yes, if Aspen can do both, what is the problem with adding Seattle Avionics support as well...Of course we have been down this road before in discussion and a couple of the Jepp/Boeing super fans will be along shortly to "Poo Poo" any thoughts of discussion...
Sauce
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 2:56pm
oh, good Lord. I am not a Jepp/Boeing fan, even a tiny bit, but we have hashed over TO DEATH why SA data isn't a suitable replacement. The IFD has to have certified nav data that comes from an approved source. When you ask "what is the problem," that tells me that you may not have seen all the previous threads that explain exactly what the problem is; I suggest you use the search function and you'll see why this isn't a realistic request.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

...a couple of the Jepp/Boeing super fans will be along shortly to "Poo Poo" any thoughts of discussion...
Always good to preface a discussion by dissing those with alternate views.  That way no one is under the impression that their views will matter.
Bob
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
I currently have a navdata subscription for my 540.  I'm now going to replace my GNS430 with a slide-in
IFD440.  Do you know what I need to do with Jepp to add the 440?
Bob
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:13am
I believe you would add the 440 under your devices on the jeppesen website.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:06am
Yep, just like I surmised, the "boys" come back to knock SA, but since they know little, let their ignorance be on "bright" display....
Sauce
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:37pm
Its not a question of knocking SA, what they can or can't do or what other manufacturer uses them.  Avidyne has said on multiple occasions on this site, Dan Schwinn has discussed on live webinars and  tech support advises that they have no plans to redesign the IFDs to accept SA.  I have nothing against SA but continuing to request it is like banging your head against the wall.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:11am
I guess that "your" continued response is considered "es•sen•tial", so therefore, subject to "your own" ignorance. They don't have to "redesign" the IFD's. 

I will say the same to you, just ignore my posts about SA, it is "banging" your head against the wall.

Edited by nrproces - 18 Oct 2020 at 10:13am
Sauce
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
I love it when those in the know from the company clearly state that SA isn't an option for IFD series navdata and charts and yet someone outside the company continues to insist otherwise, and continues to denigrate those who simply point out what the company has repeatedly said about this.  Sounds like that someone needs to get a different box.  Problem solved.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 18 Oct 2020 at 12:06pm
Stan
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:20pm
Gentlemen!

We have a BIG tent here in our community. There will always be disagreements about what to add and what to change, but in the end Avidyne will have to weigh it up and make the final decision.

They no doubt have heard the requests on Seattle. They do respond to their users. Perhaps one day it will be added, although it doesn't seem likely in the near term. In the mean time let us all save our foreheads from the proverbial walls.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Oct 2020 at 1:21pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:01pm
Exactly, the name calling is a distraction, but it till boils down to "who" is believed, SA says they  can do it, some here say, that it cant be done. The issue is currently contractual, and Boeing wants it that way...If you don't like my message, ignore it.

Edited by nrproces - 18 Oct 2020 at 3:02pm
Sauce
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:20am
OK, we may be talking about two different things but I will try to share what I know.
Jeppesen supplies NavData and charts and terrain and obstructions etc. each is a different database.
Seattle Avionics supplies charts, that is all........... just charts. 

For IFR navigation the certified GPS in your panel requires certified NavData, Seattle Avionics does NOT offer that product at this time. 
I do not know of ANY certified GPS that uses Seattle Avionics for NavData because Seattle Avionics does not supply that database nor do they have approval from the FAA to do so.

Edited by Cruiser - 19 Oct 2020 at 8:43am
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:36am
You need to better inform yourself, a great deal of what you "suppose" is generally accurate, but not all, SA  would be delighted to provide more, "but" the rest is a decision that Avidyne has made concerning the relationship it has with Boeing/Jepp.  I will let you do your own research on that.
Sauce
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:21pm
I've stayed out of this because our position has been very clear that we do not plan on supporting Seattle Avionics charts.

But I must weigh in with a couple of facts.

1. Seattle Avionics does not offer nav data - only charts.
2. Our decision to not support Seattle Avionics charts has nothing to do with our relationship with Jeppesen.

Steve out...

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:34pm
You guys are all feeding the troll.  If you post nothing, he and the personal insults go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic