Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B IN ON IDF100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B IN ON IDF100
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:48am
In the IDF100 Webinar, about 28 min in, there was a discussion on Weather and Traffic being displayed on the IDF100 from the Stratus Box. I cant seem to make that happen.

I am running TWO Ipads, a Mini running IDF100 on the pilots side and a Gen 7 Ipad running Foreflight on the co-pilots side. I have this configured using the Stratus II as a server. Both I pads work as advertised this way, and I can send and receive Flight Plans from Foreflight to the IDF440 and reverse.

What I cannot do is see ADS-B traffic and weather generated by the Stratus box on the IDF100. Displays
on the Ipad running Foreflight, but not on the IDF100. Is their a specific setting on the IDF100 software that I am supposed to setup? The IDF100 Webinar was not clear (to me) how to set this up. Is their a later version of the IDF100 software? Probably not, as I re-downloaded the IDF100 App from the Apple Store and the results are the same. My 7tg gen Ipad is running IOS 13.5.1, but my minis are running 12.4.7 which I guess is the end of the line for IOS upgrades on these older (2yrs?) Mini ipads. Should that make a difference?

Thanks

Claude Allen Green Cove Springs, Fl
Claude
PredFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PredFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:30pm
The IFD will display ADS-B with a Stratus 3, but not simultaneously with Foreflight.  My understanding is the Stratus will deliver data in GLD-82 mode or Foreflight mode, but not both at the same time.  Apparently the IFD prefers GLD-82.  I returned my Stratus 3 to Sporty’s for this reason, as the WIFI connectivity to the IFD-100 has been problematic.
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:04pm
I'm using a Stratux ADS-B in and I'm able to get traffic/weather on the IFD100 app and also on FLYQ-EFB. Basically entered Stratux in the network configuration page and then closed out, rebooted and went to user options to change from LIO to Stratux. Did not need to do anything to the IFD100 app as far as settings. Double check your user options is on the right wifi in the user options and also that you're running the same (date) database in both IFD440 and 100.
The traffic presentation on the IFD100 is sort of OK but not as good as the usual apps. I find that FLYQ is glitchy with it's ADS-B connection when going through the Avidyne. Since FLYQ has a better traffic presentation I switched the user setting in the 440 back to LIO and reconnected the FLYQ direct to the Stratux.
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:36pm
FlyBuddy,
If you've already got the Stratux, I've been having even better luck running the Stratux to USB->serial (Capstone High Speed) into the back of the IFD on a serial port. No changing networks - I let the IFD be the host of the WiFi. Ipad can run Foreflight, IFD100, etc... IFD shares all of that data seamlessly to the apps.
Some question if it's "legal". You can plug a non-certified Garmin 496 or 696 into a panel mounted box via the serial cable Garmin provides - and the cable is just 4 wires with a connector that plugs into your handheld. I've basically done the same here. (Except I'm experimental so I can do more without question).
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic