Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

APPS Using WiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: APPS Using WiFi
    Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 7:31pm
We have been told for the longest time that commercial App developers were developing Apps to leverage the 540/440 WiFi, but secrecy was maintained pending FAA approval of the WiFi.

Ok, so now 10.1.1 includes bluetooth and WiFi approval.

What/where are the apps?
David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 5:33pm

I did the 10.1.1.0 upgrade today, and after the upgrade I observed a new wi-fi network in the airplane.

I expect Avidyne to leave app announcements to the app suppliers.  If we don't hear anything before the holidays, I say we bury the Foreflite user's forum with queries.

David

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I did the 10.1.1.0 upgrade today, and after the upgrade I observed a new wi-fi network in the airplane.

I expect Avidyne to leave app announcements to the app suppliers.  If we don't hear anything before the holidays, I say we bury the Foreflite user's forum with queries.

David

I agree, but we could speculate.  I heard somewhere that Seattle Avionics Fly-Q was being postured to work with the IFDs wifi, and highly expect that Foreflight will, BUT both have said "We cannot comment..."; well ok, guys, the WiFi is usable to you now....
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:55am
That's right.  The app providers will now announce what they have at their discretion.  Most seem to want to wait until you can download the update from the applicable App store.  It could take a few days, or it may take a few weeks for them to come out with announcements -we'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 8:54pm
I hear crickets...

I had hoped for some app vendors to embrace the 540 wifi output, and contacted what I thought would be an early adopter. Their response? Are the 540s selling enough to justify this?
Conclusion, maybe wrong, not a lot of real interest from an app vendor point of view....

I hope I am wrong.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 12:11am
Happily, you are wrong.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 6:05am
Good.

Not the first time.

Happy holidays.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic