Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

APU to update database?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twicetwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: APU to update database?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:45pm
I am a new owner of an IFD540 and am so unhappy about the process to update the database.  It takes so long that I need to use an external power source to update it?  That's just crazy.  I should have done my research before buying this unit.  With Garmin, I just slipped in the data card. So what are my options?  Track down and borrow an APU every time I update the nav data?  Or buy an APU?  What are you guys doing?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
The navdata update takes perhaps 30 seconds, the obstacles 10 seconds.

The charts do take longer, depending on your subscription, some don't have charts at all. I have Cdn + US charts, and that can take four to five minutes.

When I have a chart update, I either (1) leave the plane hooked up to its battery trickle charger, or (2) let the update run after I startup. By the time I've taxied and done the runup, it is done.

Note that, the update process was significantly sped up with one of the recent firmware updates, be sure you are right up to date on the IFD. There are expected update times in the PG, double check that you are in the ballpark. If not, there may be an issue with your data card, or something else.

I do have a ground cart in the hangar, but that just doesn't seem necessary, other than for firmware updates.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Oct 2020 at 4:59pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:23pm
FWIW - I have North American charts and they take approximately 7-8 minutes to update with IFD s/w 10.2.3.1. I normally use an external power supply for the charts updates in the cooler and winter months. 

On my 12V Piper, external power will run the electrical system with the aircraft master switch off. I purchased a 12V Shauer external power supply/battery charger several years ago from Aircraft Spruce (the Piper version is currently $235) that I wired in parallel (through the connectors) to my most recently removed 12V aircraft battery on a non-metal cart. I wired the battery in parallel to the power supply for three reasons:
  1. The cart battery backs up the external power supply in case of shore power failure to the power supply during an IFD database or firmware update. If shore power to the power supply cannot be restored and the cart battery's voltage drops too much (this would probably take at least 30 minutes), I still have the option to then turn on the aircraft master switch to maintain electrical power from the aircraft battery.

2. The cart battery acts as an electrical accumulator with the external power supply and dampens transient voltages that may be generated from the power supply.

3. The power supply will maintain the cart battery's full charge while powering the airplane.
I also incorporated a switch on the positive line from the cart battery. With this setup, I am able to plug external power into the airplane with the cart battery switch off, then turn on the cart battery thus powering the airplane electrical system with the controlled activation of cart battery switch. My last step is to turn on the Shauer external power supply which then powers the airplane and keeps the cart battery charged. I reverse those steps for removing external power. 

This setup also allows me to power the airplane externally just using the cart battery or the external power supply if needed.
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:29pm
I have full Jepp service with charts. MY entire update may take a total of 4-5 minutes. Are you reloading terrain every time or just the current updates?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic