Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aural Warnings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aural Warnings
    Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:19pm
My IFD 540/440 installation was recently completed, along with the AXB 340 Transponder.  The MLB 100 was installed today.

The 540/440/340 stack replaced Garmin WAAS units that were working and correctly connected, and that gave me traffic and terrain warnings, including the aural warning of "500" feet when indicated.

However, I cannot receive any aural warnings from the Avidyne installation.  They are enabled in user settings, and the aural volume is up.  I get neither aural warnings of terrain or "500 feet", nor do I get the "double pings" when aural volume level is changed.

I do get visual alerts for terrain, so the software is "sensing" the alert.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Are there possibly missing connections, even though the previous Garmin units were annunciating properly?

Thank you,
David
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 6:28pm
On the 540/440 you need to have an additional audio out wired to your audio panel to get audio annunciations. Details are in the install manual.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:19am

What audio panel do you have?

The IFD sends out alert audio on pins 52 & 53 (HI & LO respectively) of P1001, and this should be wired to an available audio input port on your audio panel.  Since you have two IFD units, I would just wire up #1.  There's no advantage in hooking up both of them.

It seems like most upgrade airplanes (from brand G equipment) never had these wires installed originally.

My IFD installation was "from nothing" and I hooked up the wires described above, and mine works as expected.

David Bunin

AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:29pm
Thanks, David. 

I have the Garmin 340 audio panel, and we will check the pins.  Someone else told us pins 37 and 38, but the pins you suggest also have terrain audio announce.  Do you have external TAWS, or are you using only the internal 540 database?

Thanks for the help,
David
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 8:00am

Just the IFD in my airplane.  No external TAWS for me.

There are two different alert audio outputs (37/38 and 52/53).  I did a significant amount of research while designing my installation, and decided that the 52/53 output would work better with my audio panel.  The output impedance is different giving improved volume control and clarity.  It was an instance where Avidyne found a way to improve on what Garmin had done, and I wanted to take advantage of that.

I also get terrain warnings from a portable GPS.

David Bunin

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 9:19am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Just the IFD in my airplane.  No external TAWS for me.

There are two different alert audio outputs (37/38 and 52/53).  I did a significant amount of research while designing my installation, and decided that the 52/53 output would work better with my audio panel. ...

Interesting. What audio panel do you have?

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 1:02pm

I went with the PS Engineering PMA-450, and very happy with it so far.  I have the alert audio connected to a Switched Input port, which I leave switched on all the time (so far).  I will switch it off when I fly into an airport that isn't in the database (grass/dirt/bush) to avoid nuisance terrain alerts while landing.

I have the IFD standby comm audio wired into another switched input, and I turn that one on and off quite a bit to use the feature as necessary.

Aside from the front panel pilot/user interface, the PMA-450 is technically similar to the Avidyne audio panel (APX-240?) so my information in input impedance and other technical factors for the Alert audio interface should transfer nicely between the two products.

David Bunin

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 1:33pm

I went with the PS Engineering PMA-450, and very happy with it so far ...

David, thanks, I have the PM8000BT. will double check which IFD540 outs my audio was patched from. I have it input to one of the four unswitched inputs.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Oct 2015 at 1:34pm
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 2:05pm

I went with the PS Engineering PMA-450, and very happy with it so far.  I have the alert audio connected to a Switched Input port, which I leave switched on all the time (so far).  I will switch it off when I fly into an airport that isn't in the database (grass/dirt/bush) to avoid nuisance terrain alerts while landing.

I have the IFD standby comm audio wired into another switched input, and I turn that one on and off quite a bit to use the feature as necessary.

Aside from the front panel pilot/user interface, the PMA-450 is technically similar to the Avidyne audio panel (APX-240?) so my information in input impedance and other technical factors for the Alert audio interface should transfer nicely between the two products.

David Bunin

Not sure when you got your PMA-450, but mine had to be RMA'd for some new hardware/firmware. The music inputs would not power cycle nicely (first 3hr leg was fine, refuel and next 3hr flight nothing would come through).  I spoke with PS at KOSH and it was a known issue.  They gladly fixed in a day (new hardware and firmware).  Overnighted it on Monday had it back Wednesday AM.

BTW, my IFD standby audio works perfectly with it (minus the IFD not muting it).  I don't think the APX-240 has common hardware/firmware with the PMA-450.  I recall PS showing me @ KOSH how the APX board had a minor change from the 8000 series.  In fact PS showed me how they modified the board for the second knob for the APX.

Now, on topic.  How do the warnings sound to everyone else? Mine sound extremely "tinny" and 1980's ish.  I have to really listen hard to understand it.  "Airspace Ahead" is particularly hard to understand. I was expecting something like I hear in military jets or maybe a Boeing/Airbus cockpit.

Edited by roltman - 16 Oct 2015 at 2:07pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 2:17pm
Yes, given that these are supposed to be a real person recorded, they don't come across as well as I had thought they would. Perhaps they were compressed a bit too much.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 1:23pm
I purchased my unit in May this year.  I think I went through Aircraft Spruce and took advantage of their ability to pre-fabricate the harness to my specifications.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic