Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rant about IFD self-bricking on failed update :(
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rant about IFD self-bricking on failed update :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rant about IFD self-bricking on failed update :(
    Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 6:40pm
I was really looking forward to a flight today to visit a friend a few hours away. Got to the plane and updated my databases using JDM on iPad and my BadElf Wombat, which has worked a million times before. This time though for some reason, my IFD540 hiccuped during the update and it failed.

From that point on, no updates would succeed. I tried two different nav database revisions from Jepp, two different USB sticks, reformatting them, etc. and the update would always fail. The data was good, since I could move the USB stick to my IFD440 and it'd read/update without any issue.

I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Avidyne support today, and the best they could offer is that it may need the internal storage formatted, and I have to go to a dealer for that. So flight cancelled, plane pretty much unusable for IFR (no redundancy), and now I've gotta burn some gas, time, and money to get a dealer to hopefully get this IFD going again.

Whose idea was it to design the IFD to self-brick when a database update fails? Maybe a feature request for 10.4 to remove the self-bricking feature? Honestly not sure I'll keep these IFDs long enough to see 10.4 though. :(

Edited by jimmyz80 - 08 Jun 2024 at 4:24pm
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic