Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New panel project- IFD + GFC600?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New panel project- IFD + GFC600?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 8:34am
I was a very happy owner of a Piper Saratoga with dual G5’s, GFC500 and IFD550 for several years. I believe I was one of the first IFD550 adopters. Loved loved loved everything about the IFD’s. Totally aware of the the VNAV AP limitation and that nuisance didn’t bother me. 

Now I’m starting over. In April of this year I had a catastrophic engine failure in the Toga and lost the plane, but thankfully walked away without injury.

Just a few days ago I finalized the purchase of a 1969 Aztec D that I’m very happy about (2 engines! Yeah!)

Current panel is vacuum instruments with dual 430W. Avidyne FlightMaxEX500 MFD, GTX327 transponder (2 currrently). GMA 340 audio panel.  DME over the primary instruments (that has to go). Currently jpi 760. Stec 60-2 AP.  It has a bendix weather radar that displays on the avidyne MFD. 

My initial thoughts are glass for primary (dual gi275 or G500 TXI with gi275 backup.

GPS…. I have loved my IFD550 as I’m intimately familiar with its interface. I hate the slow and dated function of the 430/530 units. I’ve had a taste of the good life and have no interest in going backwards.  Right now I’m leaning towards a 750TXI simply for compatibility reasons as I will likely replace the Stec with a GFC600 whenever it becomes certified for the Aztec (it’s on the 12 month list).  I am considering going Garmin EIS as well. 

My questions are how does GFC600 interface compare to the GFC500?  Same VNAV limitation?  Any other gotchas?  

I guess I’m asking if anyone can convince me to stick with an IFD over the GTN.  I’m probably not a hard sell as I have absolutely loved my IFD550. I just know my shop is going to give me a solid WTF? when I want an all G panel except for the GPS. 
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 8:40am
Research this pretty well.  There have been a few on the Beechtalk forum that have not successfully been able to interface the GFC600 with the IFDs.  I’m not aware of any success stories, but I’m not that close to it.
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 9:16am
Check with Martin Pauly on the Beechtalk forum.
He put in a GFC600 with Garmin??? in his Bonanza after 
previously having the IFDs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic