Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ifd 540 apparently corrupts USB Jepp data drive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ifd 540 apparently corrupts USB Jepp data drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ifd 540 apparently corrupts USB Jepp data drive
    Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 11:55am
My IFD 540 was recently at the factory to have the USB port socket replaced - the factory one broke without provication. 

When the device came back to my shop, all the settings were wiped out - no biggie, but seemed unusual given the only work requested was to replace the socket.

The dealer graciously re-input all my settings from my photo records.

All good so far - until I put my current Avidyne-furnished USB drive into the newly replaced socket. The IFD entered into a reboot loop without reading the drive's loaded data. It turned out that the drive had dozens of corrupt files on it that were not there when the drive was loaded on my PC. 

The dealer made up a drive and loaded the data from the current Jepp site. This drive loaded on the IFD OK. 

So, we reformatted my Avidyne USB drive, and loaded the data to it, but not trying it on the IFD.

Several days ago, I installed the current Jepp data on my Avidyne drive and transferred it to my IFD - all was good.

Yesterday, I loaded the new Jepp data onto the USB drive and put that drive into the IFD. I did not watch the upload because I was pre-flighting for a pending trip. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, however.

Upon powering up for the flight, the Obstacle file was one iteration old, not the current on from the drive. I chose to make the flights in severe clear and, while on the ground on layover, I tried to re-load the USB drive. Instead of reading the drive, the IFD went into a reboot loop.

Today, I find that the USB was again corrupted. Ran low level format (8 GB drive, FAT32, 4096) and ran chkdsk - no errors found.

I have advised the dealer and Jepp of this situation. Jepp said to call Avidyne - waiting for callback. Jepp reset my download count and I have transferred the data onto the Avidyne drive - again.

I am going to airport to try the load again.

Anybody else have any corruption issues - apparently by the IFD?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 12:32pm
get a new thumbdrive, not worth screwing with it.

any size will work as long as it is formatted as FAT32.

as a point of reference the North America obstacle and nav databases total less than 20MB combined, profile backups are less than 50KB each.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 12:59pm
I understand your point - but I like to know what causes things. It seems unlikely that the drive is causing the corruption -  I have already made a second 16 GB drive as a backup. 
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:36am
thumb drives can fail and they can fail in weird ways.

Also keep in mind a reformat on a thumb drive is typically nothing more than rewriting the ToC (Table of Contents), even a full format doesn't do much more than that either.

Of course the other possibility is there is something on your PC causing the corruption when the data is written.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic