Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 4:28pm
Was able to attend Sun n Fun yesterday and wear Simpson out with questions .... (Nice meeting you man!) ...Here is my take based on what I learned. I drank a lot of beer last night to celebrate surviving flying in and out of Lakeland so could be 100% wrong on everything....
The IFD 550 and IFD100 were both on display. SVS was in action on the IFD540. All VERY cool stuff. 10.2 is the real deal. Avidyne CEO currently has strong feelings against any 540 to 550 upgrade program. Although incredibly cool I'm not sure I'd pay a bunch of money to upgrade to 550 anyways.... I think those of you with a PFD/mfd combo or those of us with stratus really already have a backup ahrs ...just my initial thought..... The foreflight to IFD wifi transfer will be a foreflight button push each time you want to update route. If you are using avidyne wifi the GPS /adsb weather is all real time but the flight plan sync requires a button push (or two). The IFD100 is a mirror and therefore changes occur on the IFD100 in real time when a change is made on the IFD540 and vice versa. The caveat here is the FAA will prob have an issue with panel changes occurring without some type of "confirm changes" box to keep you from accidently flying off course. There is still a technical explaination (over my head) and therefore hope for those of us with Stratus wifi to somehow also be using avidyne wifi on the same device without changing wifi networks....but once again as phenomenally cool as the IFD100 is I'm thinking I will still be using only foreflight the majority of the time.
Can't wait for 10.2 to allow my Freeflight adsb traffic / wx info to display on the IFD!!
Didn't get into looking at the the software specific changes of 10.2 on the IFD ...the avidyne booth was rocking (as it should be)!!
My closing remarks asked about the Avidyne PFD development ....no details on this...in discussion stage for most part...but I'm excited about it because I don't yet have a PFD and am excited to its possibilities of integrating with the IFD....is the IFD 540 the "MFD" for the avidyne PFD?? I mean we really wouldn't need another MFD with all the capabilities of the IFD (ESP those of us with the 500s)...Am going to wait and see how this develops but have to imagine the challenge here for Avidyne is to develop it soon enough that there is still a good market for it and people haven't already gone with other options.....
That's all I got ...
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by sikhpilotmd sikhpilotmd wrote:

How about getting the updates on the ipad over the air via LTE and then uploading it to the panel mounted IFDs? Eliminates the need for remembering to bring the USB fob with the latest updates

That is our hope and intent for a future release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the quick answers.  I am very stoked!! I have all sorts of ideas for the IFD-100.  I may do some kind of dock for a small iPad or Windows tablet.  That would be in addition to the iPad mini I use for Foreflight which is attached to my yoke.  

This is all good stuff!

One more question:

What about the possibility of bringing in ADS-B data (TIS-B and FIS-B) via WIFI from something like a Stratus or Dual XGPS190?

Coming soon. We had to pull Stratus support out about a month ago. It wasn't working well enough to our satisfaction but we expect to get back to it soon if all goes well.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:41pm
Thanks for the pirep
So when is the whiz bang stuff coming out?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Steve/Simpson:<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Will the IFD100 cross-sync with the panelmount IFD such that the same active flight plan will be shown on both displays?</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
Yes, the IFD100 will operate as a separate IFD that shares data with the panel mount IFD, just like two panel mount IFDs do.  So yes, you can have the panel mount IFD on one page and the IFD100 on a different page.<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">This leads me to a new feature request, then:  An option for a page with nothing but datablocks in it.  There are a number of datablocks I would like to have available at-a-glance that don't fit onto the MAP display.  I like the scrolling datablock feature addition from 10.1, but having a whole page full of datablocks on a secondary display would be even better.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">And being able to pull up multiple IFD displays simo on that IFD100 would be nice, too, but I understand that may not be possible since that's outside the scope of what the 540/440 software supports.</span>

We'll see. I'll add it to the candidate list but those two might be a pipe dream. But never say never....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:45pm
This is al really great.

But ... What is the plan for MLX770 support ??

I also keep on reading on other forums .. The lack of EASA certification. Where is that currently at?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Com freqs are a little different.  We don't have a Swap function on the IFD100.  We are debating adding one (there are real pros and cons to each position).   So in that case, you can use Freq List on the IFD100 to find a freq and push it into standby but you can't get it into Primary and then over to the panel mount IFD.  Note that with dual panel mount boxes, you don't share com freqs between the two IFDs either.</span>

I vote for the freq swap function.  I understand not swapping from the 100 to the 540 primary (although that option would be nice).

Yeah, we'll probably change to do both. Maybe initial release of IFD100, maybe a follow-on release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Cool Aviation Consumer Avidyne demo with Tom Harper on Avweb today!!

A few pictures are worth a thousand words, and that SVS stuff & IFD100 look way cool, even for us guys who won't be putting up the $$ to get the full SVS in the 550's. The real winners will be the guys who can only afford or want the IFD440. They'll get the extra IFD540 real estate on the tablet!

All really great stuff, and Avidyne just needs to be aware that they now have 100's (??) of IFD owners out here with sweaty palms just waiting to get our hands on 10.2 and the IFD100 app. :-)

Not hundreds, thousands!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Absolutely amazing.  Much more than anyone could have hoped for.  Take THAT *armin!!
I would have fully expected that some features would be more than $0 to activate. It not cheap to engineer these enhancements and get them approved.  Can you say which will incur a cost and the approximate amount?

You can make assumptions...

TAWS is an option.

Radar is an option.

Probably video is an upcharge.

BUT what is important is what they have said is NOT an upcharge.

• Syn Vis
  • IFD100
  • WiFi/BT
  • Full keyboard function
I am sure they understand their business plan.

I personally  am rooting for them.

Steve mentioned that the only items that are extra charge are those listed in his initial post under item 1. Video is not in that list, but rather an extra item which suggests that it is included in 10.2 at no extra charge. Perhaps Steve or Simpson could confirm when one of them comes up for air from SnF.

Video is on the options list up top. It does cost extra. And it does require a different hardware variant of the 5-series boxes - needs to be a video-enabled hardware version.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I noticed an earlier post regarding Foreflight but it didn't really answer whether this new release will enable Wifi/BT connection with FF. Can flight plans be uploaded form FF to the IFD? Can wx info from the IFD be pasted onto the FF map? Apologies if this was answered somewhere else. 

Release 10.2 enables all of that. But yes, it will require Foreflight to update their app to use that new capability.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

With the extra space on the IFD100, I would think it would be nice to see the full flight plan information.  There is plenty of space for the full flight plan and still a lot of map.

Now if we can get somebody other than Jepp for charting to bring the prices into the real world...

Agree, I was also wondering whether v10.2.0 had improved the Jepp Chart Display, like TRK Up option, or display of Low Enroute info - or better yet, NACO chart subscriptions...

Tom Wolf

No dice.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by sikhpilotmd sikhpilotmd wrote:

Thanks for the pirep
So when is the whiz bang stuff coming out?

Just as soon as it is done and signed off by the FAA.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by wsh wsh wrote:

This is al really great.

But ... What is the plan for MLX770 support ??

I also keep on reading on other forums .. The lack of EASA certification. Where is that currently at?

We are working on international datalink support now.

EASA certification is any time now. They won't give us a firm date but they are really, really close.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:09pm

Android will, as always, lag (maybe a lot).
Not sure why it has to be "as always".  Count me as another Android user who feels left out in the cold, here.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:23pm
It's all about available resources and internal priorities. We don't have anything against Android platforms but the harsh reality is they are a tiny fraction of aviation oriented platforms and apps. We try to prioritize our precious resources in the way that makes the most sense. Of course we don't want to alienate any group and we acknowledge the Android crew does feel left out. I actually had a very encouraging discussion with a professional aviation app maker yesterday at SnF who might be able to crank the Android apps out for us. We will be pursuing that possibility with more detail in the coming days.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:26pm
Responding to 310Pilot:

Thanks for the report.

Agree that 540-->550 doesn't make $22K of sense for those of us who have PFD/MFD already.  How many AHRS do you need?

BUT - rather than swapping out boxes, for those who don't - If I were an Avidyne product engineer I would think about a peripheral box containing an ARS which would feed ARS data to the 540.  And I'd price it around 6K, giving the lowly 540 owner a pathway to pitch enabled SV if desired.

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:39pm

Responding to 310Pilot:

Thanks for the report.

Agree that 540-->550 doesn't make $22K of sense for those of us who have PFD/MFD already.  How many AHRS do you need?

BUT - rather than swapping out boxes, for those who don't - If I were an Avidyne product engineer I would think about a peripheral box containing an ARS which would feed ARS data to the 540.  And I'd price it around 6K, giving the lowly 540 owner a pathway to pitch enabled SV if desired.

The Avidyne Product Guy is talking to the Avidyne Sales Guy and the Avidyne CEO Guy about reasonable upgrade paths for 540 owners who want to upgrade to 550s. We think we will have an interesting solution but it's too early to provide any definition publicly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 6:57pm

It's all about available resources and internal priorities. We don't have anything against Android platforms but the harsh reality is they are a tiny fraction of aviation oriented platforms and apps....

Of course, you will need to decide how to parcel out your resources.

But you have to be careful how you define the universe you are supporting. By definition, only iOS folks use FF. But, just because FF is ignoring android, doesn't change the fact that there is a 6 to 1 prevalence of android handsets, and now some 60%, and growing, of tablets are android out there. 

FltPlan, iFly, WingX support multiple platforms. There are many that support android only as well.

Just something to chew on.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It's all about available resources and internal priorities. We don't have anything against Android platforms but the harsh reality is they are a tiny fraction of aviation oriented platforms and apps....

Of course, you will need to decide how to parcel out your resources.

But you have to be careful how you define the universe you are supporting. <span style="line-height: 16.8px;">By definition, only iOS folks use FF. But, j</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">ust because FF is ignoring android, doesn't change the fact that there is a 6 to 1 prevalence of android handsets, and now some 60%, and growing, of tablets are android out there. </span>

FltPlan, iFly, WingX support multiple platforms. There are many that support android only as well.

Just something to chew on.

* Orest

I'm not going to get pulled into a religious war over platforms and OS. Android is a great platform. I don't use it and never will but who cares?

I just said we're pursuing a path for Android support that looks promising. We are platform and OS agnostic. We had to start somewhere on building our app and we know iOS so that's where we started. That's not where we are going to finish.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 7:15pm

I just said we're pursuing a path for Android support that looks promising. We are platform and OS agnostic. We had to start somewhere on building our app and we know iOS so that's where we started. That's not where we are going to finish.

All good.

* Orest

TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 10:07pm
1) Does this version now include full TMX-670 support?
2) Working on international datalink..... Will the MLX770 be bricked or support this future?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 6:55am
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

1) Does this version now include full TMX-670 support?
2) Working on international datalink..... Will the MLX770 be bricked or support this future?

1. IFDs support TWX670 but I bet you're asking about TWX full color mode ("light bright") and if so, no.
2. TBD.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TMac Heritage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMac Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:14am
Would someone at AVI support please post a detailed description of "in-trail" SV including any limitations. I understand that it has no attitude reference but beyond that details are lacking. I'm trying to help a customer make the 540/550 decision.

TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 10:53am
Question: New Art 2000/2100 radar support: Is this the same as the EX600 or a subset?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by TMac Heritage TMac Heritage wrote:

Would someone at AVI support please post a detailed description of "in-trail" SV including any limitations. I understand that it has no attitude reference but beyond that details are lacking. I'm trying to help a customer make the 540/550 decision.

A YouTube video of a short hop (perhaps even simulated) with the SV in trail would be extremely instructive.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:33am

Originally posted by TMac Heritage TMac Heritage wrote:

A YouTube video of a short hop (perhaps even simulated) with the SV in trail would be extremely instructive.

The guys in marketing are full up at the show this week and won't be able to produce anything new this week.

Here is a decent video from Aviation Consumer where you can see it in action:

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

Question: New Art 2000/2100 radar support: Is this the same as the EX600 or a subset?

Same digital radar set.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TMac Heritage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMac Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 1:23pm
Thanks AviJake!

The youtube video clearly shows the difference between "in-trail" SV and attitude based SV. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 1:32pm
I'd like to see how it portrays runways on takeoff and approach; i.e., compare its appearance to that of my Aspen SV, also to see how the absence of the FPM on the exocentric view impacts its utility.

Edited by ddgates - 07 Apr 2016 at 1:33pm
David Gates
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 1:50pm
cool IFDs advancing faster than my wallet I like the AHRS in the 550.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 2:33pm

I'd like to see how it portrays runways on takeoff and approach; i.e., compare its appearance to that of my Aspen SV, also to see how the absence of the FPM on the exocentric view impacts its utility.

I'll see what I can cook up.  I have GoPro mounts in the test airplane that I can use to film the IFD550 on takeoff, approach, landing.

Just need flyable weather up here (no good today, forecast crummy Friday) and I'll see if I can film something good that we'll convert into a postable mpeg/youtube link.  I bet that's mid-week next week at best.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Thanks.

Just wondering, could you not do it in sim mode which is a part of the unreleased 10.2?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 2:43pm
Yes, I can.   I just prefer the real-world show/tell over the antiseptic demosim world but if the weather doesn't clear, maybe we'll go that way.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
Sounds great.  Congrats Steve on all the headway Avidyne is making.
David Gates
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 3:09pm
I would like to see what the airports look like on IFD540 as well as IFD550 for take off and landings with its version of SVS.

I am also  interested in the data base sync progress/ method with our IFD540's and the IFD100 as well
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 3:12pm
I do expect to post a draft of the IFD550 Pilot Guide next week which contains stills of everything you guys are asking for so far.

You will update the IFD100 databases in a similar way that other apps update their databases.  You will click on some update buttons which will download the data over the ether from a server.   The nav database in the panel mount must match that in the IFD100 for the two apps to share flight plans, just like what is required for two panel mount IFDs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm
So  if I have current chart / obstacle / data base subscription for my IFD540 then the same data ( Charts and all) will reside on my copies of IFD100?
Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 5:00pm
Not exactly.   You will need to take action to update the IFD100 databases just like with the panel mount box.  We do not (yet) have a means to auto transfer (via Wifi) databases.

You can certainly have different databases on the boxes but just like with two panel mounts, if the nav data is different, then flight plans won't share.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:11pm
Are there any limitations regarding the SV if the terrain/obstacle database is not up to date?
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 8:40pm
What's the word from Jepp?  Are they going to want more money to put the data on the 100?  What about a plane with a 540 and three partners?  Can they each use their own iPads?  Extra cost for each 100's for data for each??
Jim Patton
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 9:15pm
I would suggest that if your Jepp database is current that should suffice.

The IFD is an extension, not another primary device.

Charging more for a database to make the IFD100 work is a deal breaker, period.
David Gates
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 11:39pm

Charging more for a database to make the IFD100 work is a deal breaker, period.

Agreed.
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:50am
It's Jeppesen. They have a soft spot for us GA guys.:)k
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 8:53am
Maybe it's time to be able to chose Seattle Avionics or Jepp for data
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:15am
Whoa, easy guys.   Let's not let some rumor spread about data costs nor jump to any wrong conclusions.

There are no strings attached to the IFD100.   It will be a free download for anyone.   It won't be of much use if you don't have at least one panel mount IFD to connect it to via WiFi but no strings or up-charges of any kind.

As you may recall, we partnered with Jepp to create a cockpit-wide subscription capability.  No matter how many Avidyne boxes you can stuff into your airplane, there is one charge.   That includes the IFD100 app - it's just another Avidyne box so it is part of the cockpit-wide package.  The charge of course is dependent on what set of data you want/need for your flying.   I use global data for nav, obstacles and charts in my test airplane but others select very narrowly segmented options so your $ rate will be specific to your selections.

In fact, you get 4 "seats" for mobile devices as part of that subscription.  That means you could have 4 IFD100s in that tail or 2 IFD100s and 2 Jepp Mobile Flight Deck apps and so on.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:31am
Steve:

does the ifd100 app work as well on the surface pro 3 as it does the iPad?

Thanks

David 
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:47am

Steve:

does the ifd100 app work as well on the surface pro 3 as it does the iPad?

Thanks

David 

Yes
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:51am
Last Q.

Stylus needed to use or finger touch ok on Surface?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 11:11am
Fingers fine.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm

As you may recall, we partnered with Jepp to create a cockpit-wide subscription capability.  No matter how many Avidyne boxes you can stuff into your airplane, there is one charge.

I'm not getting that mileage and it's not what Jepp quoted me, or what I am paying for just navdata. I have an IFD540/IFD440 pair installed in my aircraft and Jepp has a separate subscription for each, with the 2nd at a discount. So the price for 2x IFD's in one plane is less than 2x 1 unit, but still 35% more than the price for just 1 unit.

So the question about an additional charge for the IFD100 subscription is justified, and I'll believe it's no additional charge when I can run it. I'm a sceptic here. What you say is probably true for charts, but not for navdata only.

It is correct that Jepp allows 4 devices running a Mobile FD subscription, but that is a different subscription than the in-panel IFD's. I don't have an Jepp IFR Mobile FD subscription, only the VFR version because the IFR version in Europe needs a private gold mine (something north of $1500/yr). It sounds from what you say that the IFD100 needs a Jepp Mobile FD (IFR) subscription in order to get the data.

Edited by chflyer - 08 Apr 2016 at 3:00pm
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic