Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

As you may recall, we partnered with Jepp to create a cockpit-wide subscription capability.  No matter how many Avidyne boxes you can stuff into your airplane, there is one charge.

I'm not getting that mileage and it's not what Jepp quoted me, or what I am paying for just navdata. I have an IFD540/IFD440 pair installed in my aircraft and Jepp has a separate subscription for each, with the 2nd at a discount. So the price for 2x IFD's in one plane is less than 2x 1 unit, but still 35% more than the price for just 1 unit.

So the question about an additional charge for the IFD100 subscription is justified, and I'll believe it's no additional charge when I can run it. I'm a sceptic here. What you say is probably true for charts, but not for navdata only.

It is correct that Jepp allows 4 devices running a Mobile FD subscription, but that is a different subscription than the in-panel IFD's. I don't have an Jepp IFR Mobile FD subscription, only the VFR version because the IFR version in Europe needs a private gold mine (something north of $1500/yr). It sounds from what you say that the IFD100 needs a Jepp Mobile FD (IFR) subscription in order to get the data.

Yikes - none of that sounds correct to me.   I will forward your note to our Jepp handler but you should do the same.   There is very definitely one subscription for all Avidyne units in an airplane now and the IFD100 is included in that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 3:45pm
I just forwarded the info to my contact.  Hope to hear back soon (it's 1:45pm local where they are).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 6:59pm
I have the european mobile fd including 2x ifd.

The ifd s is one small addon price.
You can now also get a smaller version .. I believe 2 devices.. Saves a lot .. Or you canshare your devices..
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:48pm

In fact, you get 4 "seats" for mobile devices as part of that subscription.  That means you could have 4 IFD100s in that tail or 2 IFD100s and 2 Jepp Mobile Flight Deck apps and so on.

Can you clarify this?  Do you need to have the full Jepp bundle that includes mobile devices (Mobile FlightDeck) in order to use or get data onto the IFD100?

In other words, I have Full USA IFR navdata only, will I be able to load that navdata to the IFD100 and have it sync with my IFD540?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
Reference chflyer's issue, I recommend you call Jepp customer service. Here is a cut and paste from the Jepp rep:

Hey Steve, the way he describes his subscription, sounds like he did not order the bundle. The discounting he describe is our standard discounting for dual Nav/Com/GPS.

The VFR bundle package is €1457 in Europe, but that has more to do with the VFR app included and prices in Europe are generally higher. If the customer doesn’t want the VFR app, they can certainly subscribe to the VFR NavData and Obstacles. Combined, that’s $545 US; so probably in the low 600s in Euros.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In fact, you get 4 "seats" for mobile devices as part of that subscription.  That means you could have 4 IFD100s in that tail or 2 IFD100s and 2 Jepp Mobile Flight Deck apps and so on.</span>

Can you clarify this?  Do you need to have the full Jepp bundle that includes mobile devices (Mobile FlightDeck) in order to use or get data onto the IFD100?

In other words, I have Full USA IFR navdata only, will I be able to load that navdata to the IFD100 and have it sync with my IFD540?

No, the IFD100 is INCLUDED in the Avidyne bundle option. This is going to be a recurring question and we'll work with Jepp to ensure their website showing pricing options as clearly as possible.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:10pm

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">In fact, you get 4 "seats" for mobile devices as part of that subscription.  That means you could have 4 IFD100s in that tail or 2 IFD100s and 2 Jepp Mobile Flight Deck apps and so on.</span>

No, the IFD100 is INCLUDED in the Avidyne bundle option. This is going to be a recurring question and we'll work with Jepp to ensure their website showing pricing options as clearly as possible.

Alright, before I jump to conclusions, I had two questions from different directions in my post, which did you say no to?  I originally read this to mean no to my second question regarding will it work with a navdata only subscription.  Is this what you meant?
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
I am only getting the Nav/Data from Jep so since it is not a "Bundle" I would have to buy the mobile data
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 8:26am
This may become "mute" with the IFD100 anncmnt but will I sure wish my JeppView could swap flight plan data with the IFD --either through the IFD100 app coming soon -- or directly to the IFD440. k
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by kgrant kgrant wrote:

This may become "mute" with the IFD100 anncmnt but will I sure wish my JeppView could swap flight plan data with the IFD --either through the IFD100 app coming soon -- or directly to the IFD440. k

Jepp is working on integration (e.g. flight plan sharing) between their mobile apps and the IFDs.  I don't know when they'll be ready but we have weekly telecons and that is one of the topics each week so it is definitely WIP.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 9:21am
I'll ask the marketing guys for the two companies to re-publish a page dedicated to bundling and pricing options for the Jepp data.  I'm sure they will need some time to dig out from all the new action items they picked up at Sun-n-Fun but we'll get this re-published.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 12:27pm

Originally posted by kgrant kgrant wrote:

Jepp is working on integration (e.g. flight plan sharing) between their mobile apps and the IFDs.  I don't know when they'll be ready but we have weekly telecons and that is one of the topics each week so it is definitely WIP.

While you're on the conference call, you might ask Jepp to hire a high school kid to build them a website that actually works... (tongue only partially in cheek).

Rolfe

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
Quote While you're on the conference call, you might ask Jepp to hire a high school kid to build them a website that actually works... (tongue only partially in cheek).

They know that their website is awful and they are working on a replacement.  If they hired a high school kid it would be done by now.  But, being Jeppeson they probably required detailed specifications and a design that reaches all the way to the individual text fields.  So we'll have to wait.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 12:33pm

Reference chflyer's issue, I recommend you call Jepp customer service. Here is a cut and paste from the Jepp rep:

Hey Steve, the way he describes his subscription, sounds like he did not order the bundle. The discounting he describe is our standard discounting for dual Nav/Com/GPS.

The VFR bundle package is €1457 in Europe, but that has more to do with the VFR app included and prices in Europe are generally higher. If the customer doesn’t want the VFR app, they can certainly subscribe to the VFR NavData and Obstacles. Combined, that’s $545 US; so probably in the low 600s in Euros.

Steve,

1) He confirms my suspicion that the multiple-IFD pricing only applies if charts are ordered (i.e. bundle). For those of us with only IFR navdata on the IFD's, the 2nd IFD comes with an additional charge.

2) It also appears that the IFD100 is only supported if the bundle (i.e. charts) are purchased from Jepp. I see no indication in any of the exchange here that the IFD100 is useable for those of us with only Jepp navdata subscriptions (i.e. no bundle).

These are the 2 critical points still needing definitive combined Avidyne/Jepp statements.

Edited by chflyer - 10 Apr 2016 at 12:36pm
Vince
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm
Since I have terrain, charts on my Dynon displays I do not need the bundle all I need is Nav Data. Unless there is a way to upload Nav data to the IFD100 for no extra charge I won't be able to profit from this app
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 12:45pm
Having mortgaged my children's inheritances to populate nav data on 2 IFDs and 2 Aspen PFD/MFD:

Ordering navdata from Jeppesen is chaotic - I would bet that the "bundle" is more often than not overlooked to most IFD users, and they end up a la carte, with charges all over the map as well.

I would like to see as I think Jake is suggesting a posting which says "this package has these features and these limitations, costs this much, and is ordered through SKU XXXXX".

Frankly as well, we should start a navdata thread here on this board, and the Jepp sales manager should monitor and respond to it, just as Jake and Simpson respond for Avi products, (and G* does on the Beech board for G*'s products).

Essentially Jepp has a monopoly in terms of providing data services for IFDs.  They should act accordingly, or a competing entity should enter the playing field.

Edited by ddgates - 10 Apr 2016 at 12:46pm
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 12:57pm
+1

Excellent suggestion!!

Vince
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 1:18pm
What I got out of Jepp when I called was something like the following.  We fly mostly in the western US, so the Western US package seems the most appropriate.  (I ditched the notes, and this is from memory.  I'm pretty confident these numbers are within 10% of what I was told.)

1-time navdata update:  $160
1-year navdata only subscription:  $550
1-year navdata and charts subscription, one device:  $850
1-year Avidyne "All-In" bundle:  $1250

If this is accurate, using the IFD100 promises to be quite expensive except for those who already have two devices and need more than nav data.   I will note I called Jepp twice in a single day, talked to two different people, and got two different stories.   I am assuming the answers I got on the second call were "better", only because I was able to challenge the conflicts relative to the first call.

I'm looking forward to a clear posted enumeration of the purchasing options.  But I've warned my wife she probably won't want to pay the price to use the IFD100.

Jon

GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 1:57pm
I've been working with Jepp to renew my subscription for several weeks. Their pricing is indeed quite confusing. Even their reps often don't understand their complex pricing structure and it's not unusual to get several different price quotes for the same data subscription!

While "bundled" services can generate cost-savings, I'd encourage everyone to ask for a-la-carte pricing and compare the difference. For example, most bundles for the IFD540 include Jepp charts. I didn't want them, so I had to go a-la-carte to delete them. That generated a significant cost-savings over the bundle price. Of course, YMMV depending on what you want in to install in your unit.

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to ba able to use Seatle Avionics Data as a second choice for USA coverage
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

I paid $1100 and change for a 1-year, 1-device navdata + chart subscription last month. I'd love to know what SKU would have gotten me that for $850.
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 10:32pm
I was all ecstatic and doing the happy dance...until I got to the last couple of pages here.  I have an IFD 540,  Aspen 1000 pro, STEC 30 combo.  I fly two iPads, each with their own Foreflight subscription.  One is an iPad Mini and the oher is an iPad Air.  I just purchased a new iPad Pro 9.7" to replace the Mini.  I was planning on using the old iPad Mini to run the IFD100 software.

The problem now seems to be that my Jepp subscription is only for the NavData.  I have charts on both of my iPads in Foreflight where it is much easier to see them.  I always use the approach plates on Foreflight because the iPad is much closer and much easier to read and manipulate. I pay $395 a year for the eastern US navdata.  The full package is over $1000.  Since I don't use the charts on the IFD 540, it seems a terrible waste of money but nowt it sounds like unless I have the full package deal from Jepp, the IFD100 will not work for much at all, especially flight plans.  That is a lot of money to pay for having the integration of the IFD 100 and pretty much a deal breaker.  From the rumblings here, it sounds like I'm not alone in this.

Please tell us that Jepp is not going to hold us hostage to buying the entire package and more than doubling our subscription fees just to add the IFD100?  I would like to think that since, in reality, there is still just one device and the IFD100 would be useless without it, we are still talking about one subscription here.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 7:27am
I think some are jumping to conclusions that may not be accurate.  We have been told the IFD 100 will be a free download.  From my experience, if you NavData that  is in the same cycle between 2 IFDs, they will cross sync.  Charts have noting to do with that.  When one IFD has a different Nav Data cycle, they will not cross sync.  To me, it sounds like anyone with a Nav Data plan will be able to use their IFD 100 and have it cross sync with their panel mount.  Time will tell.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 7:36am
You are absolutely correct that the IFDs will sync flight plans as long as the navdata cycle installed in them is the same. However the navdata needs to be retrieved from Jepp. That is the problem, as Jepp is charging separately per device for each set of navdata, EXCEPT for those who have purchased the bundle including charts.

So at the moment it is clear that Jepp will charge for a navdata plan for the IFD100 if they are consistent with their current position on 2x IFD's in the same plane.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 7:53am
I think the frenzy we've whipped ourselves up to on this forum is unwarranted.

Everything syncs between the IFD100 and the panel mount IFDs exactly as it does with two panel mount IFDs.  The only thing that requires consistent databases between the units to sync is nav data.

For those of you who pay for Nav data and are legal to fly IFR using the IFDs, you will have the IFD100 Nav data upload sync'd with your IFDs as part of your Nav Data purchase.

For those of you who don't pay for Nav data and use the expired data on your panel mount IFDs, all you have to do is ensure the nav data cycle on the IFD100 is the same expired cycle to allow nav data to sync.   We of course don't recommend using expired nav data for flight operations but if you choose to do so, we'll ensure you have the same cycle of nav data on your IFD100.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:18am
So you are saying that the IFD100 gets its navdata from the panel-mount to which it is connected via wifi, and doesn't need a separate feed from Jepp? Is this how you ensure the nav data cycle on the IFD100 is the same cycle as the wifi-connected panel mount unit?

I'm confused in that I understood that panel-mount IFDs do NOT sync navdata between themselves, only flight plans. Navdata is manually loaded separately via USB for each IFD, and this manual load needs to be the same cycle for flight plans to sync between IFDs.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:23am
IFDs do NOT sync Nav data - they check to see if the Nav data is the same cycle and if they are, then they allow flight plan data to sync between the IFDs.

This is true if they are panel mount IFDs or mobile device IFDs like the IFD100.

I will explain how you get the data into the IFD100 at a later time - don't worry about it now - it will all work out just fine.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:24am
Steve, further up the string you said you had to pull support for the stratus interface.  Would that interface include the AHRS in the stratus 2 along with traffic and weather?  So for those of us with a 540 we would get real synthetic vision?

Edited by tony - 11 Apr 2016 at 8:25am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:27am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Steve, further up the string you said you had to pull support for the stratus interface.  Would that interface include the AHRS in the stratus 2 along with traffic and weather?  So for those of us with a 540 we would get real synthetic vision?

No.  We have no intention of taking non-certified AHRS data from the Stratus and using that to create a dynamic out-the-window SVS page on the IFD540.

Traffic and weather transmission - yes.
AHRS transmission - no.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:32am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I paid $1100 and change for a 1-year, 1-device navdata + chart subscription last month. I'd love to know what SKU would have gotten me that for $850.

Hi paulr-

The ~$1100 quote you mention is consistent with what I just paid to renew a full US navdata plus chart subscription, without Mobile FD. The $850 that AzAv8r referenced was for a western US subscription, so perhaps that is the difference. Alternatively, if you have a western US subscription that includes Mobile FD, that could be another reason for the difference.

I agree that the Jeppesen pricing and bundling structure is confusing. I talked to two Jeppesen representatives last week to process my renewal, as I wanted to explore some additional options. The first one was fairly new and did not yet have a clear understanding of all of the alternatives, while the second was 100% on top of things.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 8:37am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Hi paulr-

The ~$1100 quote you mention is consistent with what I just paid to renew a full US navdata plus chart subscription, without Mobile FD. The $850 that AzAv8r referenced was for a western US subscription, so perhaps that is the difference. 

No doubt you're right. I missed that detail when I was skimming AzAv8r's post-- I saw "$850" and my brain said "TILT".

Online services and retailers who offer simple, clear pricing have definitely spoiled us when it comes to services such as Jepp. Compare the difficulty of figuring out the cost of a Foreflight, Seattle Avionics, or DirecTV subscription and you'll see what I mean. I think only the mobile phone carriers make it more difficult to know if you're getting a square deal.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 10:37am

I will explain how you get the data into the IFD100 at a later time - don't worry about it now - it will all work out just fine.

Steve - You have always been a man of your word on this forum, and I will keep the faith on the IFD100.

In my eyes, the 10.2 announcement has really propelled the Avidyne into the lead in the feature race.  I was completely blindsided by the synthetic vision!  I generally think that synthetic vision on an iPad is more of a gimmick than anything else, but I think I may use it on the panel-mount box on occasion - time will tell.

I will say that the idea of the IFD-550 with the ARS built in is sort of a bittersweet revelation for us early adopters.  On the one hand, I think it is awesome because it provides a certified ARS that could be used as a backup in the event of a vacuum failure.  On the flipside, after laying out a big chunk of change on the "latest and greatest" from Avidyne, I find out that there is now an even better model that will be out only two years after my IFD-540 was installed, with no apparent upgrade path.  I probably wouldn't have popped for it anyway, but it just feels weird.  I was encouraged to read that there is some discussion at Avidyne about an upgrade path for the early adopters.

But don't misunderstand me, I am super stoked about this new release!  Probably more than anything I'm happy I'll finally get the “Active Waypoint Direct Info” datablock!!    

Thanks again for all your hard work and especially for the awesome forum!
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:29am
Even if i cant use IFD100, due to cost from Jep, the latest update is great allowing full use of the keypad and the ability to transfer flight plan from Foreflight.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 1:21pm
I spoke with Jepp Sales this morning.  I explained we have a subscription for the "Western US Nav Data" through late summer 2017.  (we don't need current IAPs on the 540 or paper charts.)

I asked, "How much will it cost for each of our three partners to load that same Nav Data we have paid for onto their iPads so they can use the new IFD100s?"

He said most of the staff will be returning to the office from SnF tomorrow or Wednesday, that the IFD100 was was just announced last week, and that Jepp has not decided how to deal with this.  He suggested Jepp didn't know it was coming??  He promised to get back with me as soon as possible.  The implication was a week or so??
Jim Patton
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 1:31pm
Steve's response hints that they have a way of transferring the navdata from the panel-mount IFD to the IFD100, which would eliminate needing to retrieve the IFD100 navdata directly from Jepp.

I guess we just need to wait until the IFD100 app and 10.2 PG are released to see how that works.

Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:54pm

Steve's response hints that they have a way of transferring the navdata from the panel-mount IFD to the IFD100, which would eliminate needing to retrieve the IFD100 navdata directly from Jepp.
No, Steve explicitly stated that the devices do NOT sync the nav data.  He simply said we should cool our jets and he'd explain how to get the nav data into the iPad/IFD100 at a later time.

IFDs do NOT sync Nav data - they check to see if the Nav data is the same cycle and if they are, then they allow flight plan data to sync between the IFDs.

This is true if they are panel mount IFDs or mobile device IFDs like the IFD100.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:39am
I didn't say "sync" of navdata, and already stated and Steve confirmed that nav data is not sync'd between any IFDs. A one-off transfer of nav data from a panel-mount IFD is not the same as sync'ing. 

Since there is nothing about this in the new draft 10.2 manual, the only other option without Jepp involvement would be IFD100 direct navdata retrieval via an internet server, similar to other aviation apps.

Despite Steve's statement that only one navdata subscription is needed for all IFD units related to one airplane, Jepp's reply to his query was clear that this only applies if a full bundle is purchased including charts. For us poor folks who can only afford navdata, we need to pay for each IFD. If we are to avoid an additional Jepp charge for each IFD100 installation, Avidyne needs to provide a way for us to access the navdata without going through Jepp.

I was just trying to imagine how that might work. His statement alone doesn't reassure me that it will not be without an extra charge, if only navdata is needed, as it hasn't worked out that way for 2-unit panel mounts.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:38am
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

I spoke with Jepp Sales this morning.  I explained we have a subscription for the "Western US Nav Data" through late summer 2017.  (we don't need current IAPs on the 540 or paper charts.)

I asked, "How much will it cost for each of our three partners to load that same Nav Data we have paid for onto their iPads so they can use the new IFD100s?"

He said most of the staff will be returning to the office from SnF tomorrow or Wednesday, that the IFD100 was was just announced last week, and that Jepp has not decided how to deal with this.  He suggested Jepp didn't know it was coming??  He promised to get back with me as soon as possible.  The implication was a week or so??

Jepp definitely has decided how to handle it and knew it was coming for a long time.   I meet with some of their senior staff next week in Germany and will make sure they know how important it is to train their crew and have clean messaging/pricing available.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 7:42am

Despite Steve's statement that only one navdata subscription is needed for all IFD units related to one airplane, Jepp's reply to his query was clear that this only applies if a full bundle is purchased including charts. For us poor folks who can only afford navdata, we need to pay for each IFD. If we are to avoid an additional Jepp charge for each IFD100 installation, Avidyne needs to provide a way for us to access the navdata without going through Jepp.

I was just trying to imagine how that might work. His statement alone doesn't reassure me that it will not be without an extra charge, if only navdata is needed, as it hasn't worked out that way for 2-unit panel mounts.

I would encourage folks to not try and imagine a solution.   You will have to put some faith in that there will be a solution that will work.  I can't elaborate right now.   Understand?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 11:42am

As you may recall, we partnered with Jepp to create a cockpit-wide subscription capability.  No matter how many Avidyne boxes you can stuff into your airplane, there is one charge.

I'm not getting that mileage and it's not what Jepp quoted me, or what I am paying for just navdata. I have an IFD540/IFD440 pair installed in my aircraft and Jepp has a separate subscription for each, with the 2nd at a discount. So the price for 2x IFD's in one plane is less than 2x 1 unit, but still 35% more than the price for just 1 unit.

So the question about an additional charge for the IFD100 subscription is justified, and I'll believe it's no additional charge when I can run it. I'm a sceptic here. What you say is probably true for charts, but not for navdata only.

It is correct that Jepp allows 4 devices running a Mobile FD subscription, but that is a different subscription than the in-panel IFD's. I don't have an Jepp IFR Mobile FD subscription, only the VFR version because the IFR version in Europe needs a private gold mine (something north of $1500/yr). It sounds from what you say that the IFD100 needs a Jepp Mobile FD (IFR) subscription in order to get the data.

Yikes - none of that sounds correct to me.   I will forward your note to our Jepp handler but you should do the same.   There is very definitely one subscription for all Avidyne units in an airplane now and the IFD100 is included in that.

Hi Steve,

I have followed up with our Jepp handler in Europe and have received the following reply:
"If you were to purchase our bundle package the Avidyne Suite / Plus, you are correct that the number of units required does not affect the pricing. However as you have purchased navdata separately you are only entitled to the dual discount which has already been granted in the order xxxxxxx."

This confirms that the one subscription for all Avidyne units in an airplane only applies to the full bundle including charts. The discount they mention above is for a IFD540/440 pair in one aircraft. For Europe navdata only this is 1.36x navdata for a single IFD540.

Do you have a commitment from Jepp that there is no charge for IFD100 navdata only, if the full bundle is not ordered?

Edited by chflyer - 12 Apr 2016 at 11:43am
Vince
cpeltier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpeltier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
Hi Steve,
This is my 1st post and I'm a Baron driver with a GNS480/GMX200/RDR2000 waiting for the right upgrade.
I display Air Data from my Shadin ADC on the data blocks of my 480 and it seems the IFD540 displays most of my important ones except for TAS. I don't have a PFD installed yet as I'm waiting for the right PFD/autopilot combination (PFD4000, DFC90 to play with Century servos would be ideal) so it's not an option to display there. Is there a reason why it's not available for display in a configurable data blocks?

Chris
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 1:52pm
We don't have any datablock for TAS.

We do have an air data calculator that can compute and display TAS.  If the IFD is connected to an EFIS/Air Data source, the data in rectangles should auto populate and then auto compute and display TAS.  If not connected to an EFIS/Air Data source, then the values in the rectangles must be manually entered which then computes a TAS.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm
Chris, I'm in SE NY and have a Bonanza with a couple 540s.  If you need an intro ride to push you over to the Avidyne side, look me up and we can get together.

Edited by Gring - 12 Apr 2016 at 2:31pm
cpeltier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpeltier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:43pm

We don't have any datablock for TAS.
That's a shame that it won't display and update with the data presented to the unit.
You have the wind vector and speed so your performing a calculation with it!

I use it on a active display to alert me if I need to re-lean the engines when in cruise.
If I see a TAS drop it almost always means a mixture adjustment is necessary.
I fly a turbocharged Baron and fuel efficiency is always important!

Any chance of adding that in a future release?

Also, I see support for the GDL88. Does that mean a GTX345 will also be supported?
Is the ADSB support via the legacy GDL90/Capstone mode? Will the IFD540 be an approved position source for the GTX345?

Thanks again!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:48pm
Yes, the TAS datablock is on the candidate list for potential future releases.

Yes, we expect that the GTX345 will be supported in Release 10.2.0.0 but we still have some testing to do before we can spike that ball.

GDL88 support is via the legacy GDL90 interface.

Yes, we do expect the IFD-series to be an approved source for the GTX345.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 5:55pm

Video is on the options list up top. It does cost extra. And it does require a different hardware variant of the 5-series boxes - needs to be a video-enabled hardware version.

I assume an existing IFD-540 can be shipped in for the hardware mod to add video capability?  It's Tuesday,  so any word on the pricing for such an upgrade?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Video is on the options list up top. It does cost extra. And it does require a different hardware variant of the 5-series boxes - needs to be a video-enabled hardware version.

I assume an existing IFD-540 can be shipped in for the hardware mod to add video capability?  It's Tuesday,  so any word on the pricing for such an upgrade?

Prices and upgrade paths exist but I'm not confident I know what they are.  I'm leaving to the Sales crew to address pricing and upgrade processes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 11:50am
I agree about the altitude call outs for single pilot..Love to have 5,4,3,2,1,   Also does my GMX200 which works great with my 440, able to get the SVS projected on its screen? I saw the updates above for theGMX200 but lots to digest. did the 10 to 16 watt Trans come with the update or do u have to pay for it..Or just an unlock?
Khuffine
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by khuffine khuffine wrote:

I agree about the altitude call outs for single pilot..Love to have 5,4,3,2,1,   Also does my GMX200 which works great with my 440, able to get the SVS projected on its screen? I saw the updates above for theGMX200 but lots to digest. did the 10 to 16 watt Trans come with the update or do u have to pay for it..Or just an unlock?

Noted on the altitude call outs.

Are you asking if SVS is on the GMX or on the 440?  Release 10.2 will add the new SVS tab to the MAP page on your 440.  There is no $ up-charge for that.

The 16W upgrade to your IFD440 will have a $ up-charge associated with it if you want to have that done too.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:22pm
Does the 16W updgrade require a 28V input, or is it available on 14V systems?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic