Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Does the 16W updgrade require a 28V input, or is it available on 14V systems?

16W is for  28V only.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm
I thought I saw in the thread (but can't find it again), that the ifd540 with 10.2 will allow ads-b wx from a stratus.  

Nexrad, pilot reports, tags and meters, all of it?

Did I get that right?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 8:38pm
No, you did not get that right.    It was an "almost" for 10.2 but in the end, we had to pull it out when we couldn't get it to work reliably enough.   We're quite hopeful that we'll get it all figured out and include in one of the next software releases for the IFD series.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm
Yep..I figured that about SVC but 440 will send nice map to ipad via ifd100 but will it send svc to the GMX200 mfd screen...nice and big!!! I already have lots of GDL88 stuff that works with my 440. Is 10.2 adding other things to that?
Khuffine
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 10:53pm
It would be really nice to be able to connect the iPad running Foreflight to the IFD so we can upload and download flight plans and changes and to have the weather and traffic from the Stratus display in Foreflight.

Being able to display the traffic and weather on the IFD is less important if it is available on the iPad.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

No, Rel 10.2.0.0 does not support XMD-76/A from HUT. 

Steve -- For those of us with Cirrus aircraft with Avidyne Entegra panels, the new IFD's inability to process data from the same HUT XMD-76/A that feeds the Avidyne MFD has been a bit of a surprise.  While I will probably always use the MFD to display NEXRAD weather, having the appropriate weather flags appear on IFD waypoints would be nice, not to mention other advantages.

Steve -- Re-asking this, since it was missed earlier:  

Is this just an IFD software issue that might be fixed in 10.3? Or is there a hardware incompatibility designed into the IFD series that will prevent it from ever working with the HUT XMD-76/A receiver?

Reading the draft pilot's guide reminded me that if I had a GDL-69 as my Sirius/XM weather receiver, the XM weather would display on my IFD440.  The Avidyne EX5000C MFD and the Garmin GNS430W don't have any such incompatibilities, hardware or software, with the HUT receiver.  Puzzling since so many Cirrus with Avidyne MFDs - a natural market for swapping out 430s for IFDs - are equipped with the HUT receivers.
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 4:32pm
I'm struggling trying to find a solution for that very issue myself. I have the heads up Technology receiver for my MFD and its not compatible with the IFD540. I want the weather on the 540/440 but to my knowledge from the research I did including contacting Avidyne tech support there is no solution for XM weather that is compatible with both the 540 and the EX5000 MFD.
dpcraig
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by dpcraig dpcraig wrote:

... I want the weather on the 540/440 but to my knowledge from the research I did including contacting Avidyne tech support there is no solution for XM weather that is compatible with both the 540 and the EX5000 MFD.

As to the IFD series: right, we know it doesn't work, at least right now.  My question to Steve is why.  When he answers, I'll have a follow up question.

As to the EX5000, however, that's not right.  The Heads Up Technology XM weather displays just fine on my Avidyne EX5000 and always has.  If you have one, you should get it checked out if it's not working.  There is something about the software or hardware design of the IFD series that differs from the Avidyne EX5000C in a way that causes the IFD boxes to reject the HUT input that the EX5000 (and Garmin 430) accepts. The question is why.

Edited by Catani - 14 Apr 2016 at 5:10pm
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:27pm
I have XM on the MFD through my heads up technology receiver which is not compatible to the 540/440. The reference to both is I cannot find a solution to provide XM from one receiver that will accommodate both the MFD and IFD.
dpcraig
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 7:08pm
Heads Up Technology XM weather on IFDs sounds like the subject for it's own thread??
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 10:03pm
I believe I read somewhere here that Avidyne does plan to address this. I have not seen any details, as to why there is an issue.

* Orest

Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:26am
You need to replace your heads up xm with the avidyne mlb700 receiver and antenna you can purchase them cheap and should be a relatively easy swap. It will display on both. Just did this
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm
I see Bendix digital radar can be displayed on the 540 with the software upgrade. Will my RDR150 be able to as well? I am hopeful as my installer mentioned that the EX600 which also displays digital radar can display that from a RDR with a converter.
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:30pm
No. Not in the cards to display the rdr150 on the ifd540. It is on another thread here but not enough room in the chassis of the 540 for the equipment.   Only the digital units on the 540
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 7:50am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I believe I read somewhere here that Avidyne does plan to address this (XMD-076 support). I have not seen any details, as to why there is an issue.

* Orest

New thread just started on this topic.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

No. Not in the cards to display the rdr150 on the ifd540. It is on another thread here but not enough room in the chassis of the 540 for the equipment.   Only the digital units on the 540

Correct.  Digital radar support only on the IFD-series.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 8:51am
For those interested, some action shots are posted over on the IFD100 topic from a flight I took yesterday with Rel 10.2 and the IFD100.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:53am
So the EX600 has an internal analog digital converter? I thought this was being done with an external converter between the radar and EX600, not internally.
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:55am
Internal. There are different hardware variants based on the type of radar support required.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
Subject: Version 10.2.0.0   
Question:  When???

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:15pm
Just as soon as we and the FAA sign off on it. (That's all you're getting out of me...)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:24pm
If you need any pens ....  ;-)

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2016 at 7:24pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Subject: Version 10.2.0.0   
Question:  When???

The FAA will sign it off as soon as they get their flux capacitor charged.  Or maybe, given the nature of the device, slightly before.

Seriously, Steve has tried in the past to predict when things would be completed but the FAA has never done what he predicted.  He's given up, and rightfully so.  Other companies solve this by not announcing anything until it has FAA sign-off.  Avidyne tells us in advance which gives us useful information but leads to situations like this where we're all waiting for the firmware to release.  It is frustrating but I prefer it this way.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:52am
Steve and Simpson are too polite to say it, but we need to just stop asking. I have confidence that when they hear that it's been approved they will tell us right away. 
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 7:02pm
I was just going over the pilot information packet for the AOPA fly-in at Beaufort, NC.  I input all of the lat/lon info into my Foreflight to get a good map of the arrival route that I will use.  Then I realized that I am going to do it all over again in the IFD540.

The only way that I could figure out how to do it in the IFD simulator was to create waypoints out of the lat/lon coordinates and then insert them into the flight plan.  What a pain.  The methodology to enter the lat/lon coordinates is not user friendly at all unless I'm not doing something right.  Is this the only way to do this?

It would really be nice to have 10.2 so that I won't have to go through this all over again once I'm in the airplane but that's the way it goes.

When 10.2 comes out and I do upload a flight plan from Foreflight to the IFD and it contains waypoints that are not in the IFDs database like in this case, what happens to the route?  Will it create those waypoints, just skip over them, or blow up?

I remember reading in the 10.2 information that you will be able to save your preferences in the sim and upload them to the IFD.  Will that apply to waypoints that were created in the sim also?

Thanks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:30pm
You can import waypoints into the IFDs now, from the sim-IFD, but there are a couple of gotchas.

I did request, some time ago, and proposed a simple way for such additions, lat/long waypoints and other special waypoints. Borrowed the method from Honeywell FMCs.

Don't know if it is in the request database, nor how it might be doing there.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 May 2016 at 9:34pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 4:33pm
Yes, it's in there.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Steve,
The v10.2 manual (draft) is great - good job.
I am wondering re page 5-10 - OBS Mode ops, it states
OBS Behavior in Dual IFD Operations    For those installations that include dual IFDs that are separately wired to two different nav indicators, the #2 IFD will automatically switch into OBS mode when #1 IFD Nav Source has been put into OBS and the #2 nav indicator will flag invalid.

But conversely, might it be possible by switching instead the #2 IFD Nav source into OBS mode, can IFD #1 remain separate and continue to display current flight plan and guidance for HDG Bug/AutoPilot?

Thanks for info.

Tom Wolf

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 7:43am
The draft r10.2 pg is super, and I geatly appreciate having it available while waiting for the product. Is there any chance of having the sim available with r10.2 also in advance? It would help setting up configs, practicing, etc. Similarly, any chance of the IFD100 app being released before r10.2 approval?
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:53am
Maybe a little bit before but it's a big effort for us to update/load it so we're trying to make sure there are no more changes to it as a result of our or FAA testing.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:01pm
Hi Steve/Jake,

Gracious for all the help and advance info. Regarding subscription decisions, I use the following in my C172:

-IFD540
-AXP340 (ADS-B out)
-FlyQ EFB IFR subscription on iPad
-Dual XPGS170 (ADS-B in for FlyQ)

Thus I use the iPad for my traffic and weather and the IFD540 for flight plan and nav/com. The FlyQ subscription has all the charts and approach plates included in the subscription. Thus, I think I would save a fair amount of money by buying the nav data from Jeppesen a la carte for the IFD540 rather than the bundled package deal for the Avidyne.

With this in mind, will I be able to enjoy full use of the IFD100 with the a la carte option, or should I buy the bundled Avidyn/Jeppesen package? My concern is the licensing from Jepessen and will it stretch across both the IFD540 and the IFD100 app.

Also, can I expect some future integration of the Dual XGPS170 ADS-B data with the IFD100, or with he IFD540 directly? If ultimately I can get ADS-B traffic and weather from the Dual to integrate with the Avidyne unit and app, I don't see a need down the road for FlyQ at all.

Thank You,
Gerald

Edited by gherb - 11 May 2016 at 1:02pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:03pm
I'm having very frequent and regular meetings with Jepp working through the details of the subscription variations.    I think it's best to finish those up before trying to answer individual scenario/situations.   That might be another few weeks - we'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
gherb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:03am
Originally posted by gherb gherb wrote:

Also, can I expect some future integration of the Dual XGPS170 ADS-B data with the IFD100, or with he IFD540 directly? If ultimately I can get ADS-B traffic and weather from the Dual to integrate with the Avidyne unit or app, I don't see a need down the road for FlyQ at all.

Sure, I understand. Any thoughts on the second question? I know it may be a bit premature, but if you have any insight...

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:58pm
It should "just work" with Release 10.2 (but I haven't tested that specific configuration and as we keep saying, no two companies have implemented the "Capstone" protocol the same way).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:07am

It should "just work" with Release 10.2 (but I haven't tested that specific configuration and as we keep saying, no two companies have implemented the "Capstone" protocol the same way).

Should that be interpreted to suggest that 10.2 is going to permit the import of ADS-B data from non-panel mobile devices?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Should that be interpreted to suggest that 10.2 is going to permit the import of ADS-B data from non-panel mobile devices?

I was going to ask that very same thing.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I was going to ask that very same thing.

* Orest

Great minds and all that.... <g>
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:51am
Well sort of.  We haven't found any two that are the same protocol and patience is wearing thin.

It's supposed to work but since we're in formal test-for-credit now, our willingness to make a change based on testing of those boxes has an extremely high bar to clear for Release 10.2.   We are focused on the features that we declared are supported in 10.2 for that testing.   If, at the end, we conclude that we've tested so-and-so non certified mobile source of that data and it works, then great.  But for now, no promises.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:39pm
Very fair.

I don't know of any panel navigator that imports non-certified ADS-B data, maybe others do.

My own bias (DISCLOSURE: I HAVE A "SKY-TRAX" ALREADY MOUNTED) would be to get the maximum functionality and utility out of your own gear (Read: MLB100) including downstream compatability with Aspen MFDs.

Edited by ddgates - 14 May 2016 at 12:48pm
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:21pm

Well sort of.  We haven't found any two that are the same protocol and patience is wearing thin.

It's supposed to work but since we're in formal test-for-credit now, our willingness to make a change based on testing of those boxes has an extremely high bar to clear for Release 10.2.   We are focused on the features that we declared are supported in 10.2 for that testing.   If, at the end, we conclude that we've tested so-and-so non certified mobile source of that data and it works, then great.  But for now, no promises.

Have you posted what flavor of the protocol you are expecting?  If so, the stratux people could modify the protocol on their end to match.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:23pm
I was reading the following out of the 10.2 draft pilots guide:

TAWS INHIBIT CONTROL
The FLTA and PDA functions of TAWS (visual and aural) can be inhibited via pilot control. This comes in handy in some scenarios like VFR flight in an area of significant terrain, VFR low altitude flight and airfields that are not in the on-board database or designated as a user waypoint airport.

The manual inhibit control is the FLTA On/Off selection in the User Options page. This on/off control applies to FLTA and PDA simultaneously.

An alternative means to inhibit the TAWS FLTA and PDA functions is via an external switch that can be optionally installed somewhere in the cockpit.  

I am very interested in the external switch to inhibit TAWS FLTA and PDA.  Next time I'm in the shop, I'd like to have that installed and wired up so I'm ready when 10.2 rolls out.  I don't see switch in the installation manual.  Do you have a date for an updated install manual?  Will that have to wait for 10.2 certification?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:13am
I am reluctant to publish a draft of the Install manual since that is FAA approved data as opposed to the Pilot Guide which is not.

I'll probably put the IM up a week or three prior to cert.  I'll have to look at the draft on Monday so see which discrete in that is but it should be the identical pin as the Garmin GNS-530 used for that function.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:06pm

I am reluctant to publish a draft of the Install manual since that is FAA approved data as opposed to the Pilot Guide which is not.

I'll probably put the IM up a week or three prior to cert.  I'll have to look at the draft on Monday so see which discrete in that is but it should be the identical pin as the Garmin GNS-530 used for that function.

Understand.  I'd think that verifying the wiring is the same as the 530 would be plenty due to the plug and play capability.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:05pm

I'll probably put the IM up a week or three prior to cert.

I would advise against that.  It's never a good idea to circulate nearly-approved data.  Just wait for that stamp and then let fly.  There is minimal benefit to the marketplace by having preliminary data now rather than approved data in a matter of days or weeks.

TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 4:08pm
Agreed 100%, then if the FAA has issues, you don't have to back track.....it worth the wait.
Tom G
hamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:15pm
I don't see Helicopter approaches on the list, was advised it was coming on 10.2, has that been relegated to 10.3?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:20pm
Neither.  It's scheduled for a minor release called 10.2.1.0 right after 10.2 is finished.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
hamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:22pm
Great, thanks. Makes it a valid option for IFR Helicopters now.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 12:47am
I was thinking about 13 “Designated Waypoint Info” datablock.  I think this is going to be a great capability and I was a supporter of that feature.  Although having this capability will be very useful in certain circumstances such as the example I posted at the time, I think that the majority of the time you'd be more interested in a waypoint in the flight plan.  Those datablocks exist as well, but when I look through the plethora of datablocks, there are so many that you can't pick them all.

Originally I was thinking about just suggesting a checkbox to allow the designated waypoint box follow the active waypoint in the flight plan, if you manually entered a point, it would stop following the flight plan until you reselected the follow flight plan box.

To expand on that, maybe there would be a way from the map page (not going into settings) to change the type of waypoint box it is.  Direct/Along flight path, Designated/Active/Next/Destination/Nearest, maybe those could be LSKs when you touch the box.

You could do the same for ETE.  You add an ETE datablock using the setup page (keep the whole list of datablocks in the setup page), but from the map page, if you touch that datablock, right now it does nothing, but it could show an LSK that allowed you to toggle through Destination/To Waypoint and similar for other datablocks.  The datablock LSK could be time dependent so that after ~3 seconds it would revert back to the Land, Nav, Wx Overlay LSKs.

This seems to be a clean way to condense some of the datablocks and still provide all of the same information.  I think the only downside from a user perspective would be that for the designated waypoint block, you'd now have to touch it once to select it to bring up the LSKs then a second time to activate the keyboard to change the waypoint because otherwise the keyboard would cover up the LSKs.  This seems to be a minor downside compared to the enhancement I think it would bring.

Edited by brou0040 - 11 Jun 2016 at 12:48am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:29pm
Whoa, there was a lot in there.

I get it.  I'm not sure we'll ever do it but I do get it.

One minor point, you can put all of the datablocks up and touch scroll the list up/down to expose them when you want.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
  Share Topic