Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:09pm
That photo screams, "Too close for missiles--switching to guns!"  :-)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

That photo screams, "Too close for missiles--switching to guns!"  :-)

Now, THOSE would be really cool STCs!

LOL.

* Orest

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:18pm
Great caption for that keyboard setup.  We called them "rockets" back in the day when I flew Cobras. And indeed, miniguns ruled at 200 AGL.  Love your handle, MysticCobra!
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:44pm
when the IFD100 iPad app comes out, is there a compelling reason to continue using the keyboard?
(assuming you own an IPad)
Bonanza F33a
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 7:55am
Personal preference will answer that question.  Some folks will prefer having the "always right there", tactile keyboard available.  Others may not.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Personal preference will answer that question.  Some folks will prefer having the "always right there", tactile keyboard available.  Others may not.

It may also vary based on conditions.  When it's bumpy, putting two hands on the keyboard may be preferred.  If you can find a convenient place to stash it, I could see using both.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 8:56pm
The tactile feedback keyboard, nicely secured on my yoke, is far more secure and accurate for input than using a tablet or the IFD on-screen keypad, the external keyboard will remain my preference.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Sep 2016 at 9:34pm
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 3:11pm
anyone have insider info when 10.2 will be released?  
Bonanza F33a
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 3:34pm
I suspect that there is no such animal, and that no one will really know until perhaps the day before (Avidyne included), except perhaps someone in the FAA.

Vince
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Thanks Vince...that was my hunch too.  I'll sit and anxiously wait.
Bonanza F33a
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 3:52pm
The best use of the waiting time is thorough study of the draft PG, so that you're all trained up and quick off the block once 10.2 is released. The only problem with that is the need to keep a kleenex handy to catch all the drooling. ;-)

Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm
At the recent KPRC AOPA flying, Avidyne had 10.2 playing on their demo 540... definitely very cool, especially 3D traffic display with"ground shadows" of flying traffic bogies.

I pointed out that on the screen that shows surrounding Metar-flags, that if only all one had to do was to touch the metar of interest to display its textual data, this would save maybe 4-button pushes. 
AV-Simpson made a note to try to include...

He also passed along, "... end of November" as hopeful release date!?!

Tom W.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm
The FAA doesn't get in any hurry to push this great and innovative equipment through. I'm sure Avidyne walks on eggshells around these guys trying to make it through the maze. I have local friends who are traversing this same bureaucratic slough with the intent to get us a certified electronic ignition. I keep hearing, "Soon". This has been going on for over a year now.
swood7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 11:16pm

I have a feature request that I think would be useful, at least somewhere down the line if it's even possible at all. I fly the 757/767 and find the Boeing "turn vector" very useful when intercepting a course. It tells you exactly where you'll be in the turn and can visualize how close you'll be to to the magenta line when maneuvering to intercept. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. It's the dashed white line curving to the right. I don't know if it's possible to program something like that or if it would require a type of internal reference system, but if it were possible I think it would help, especially on airplanes without a flight director. I'd be curious to see what you think!

Edited by swood7 - 07 Oct 2016 at 11:17pm
Sean Wood
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
Great feature, but the Boeing Banana has to come FIRST!

* Orest

swood7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Great feature, but the Boeing Banana has to come FIRST!

* Orest

Haha I've gathered that after reading a few pages of this thread!
Sean Wood
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 1:26pm
For those of you that are not familiar with the Boeing Position Trend Vector, each segment of the vector represents 30 seconds of look ahead at where the airplane will be based on current ground speed and turn rate.

The pictured display is set at a 20NM scale and one minute of position trend vector is shown (two 30 second segments). At larger map ranges, three segments are displayed and at smaller map ranges, only one segment is displayed.

The Boeing Position Trend Vector is always visible in the Boeing map mode display regardless of whether the airplane is turning or not. When the airplane is not in a turn, the positing trend vector is straight and overlays the airplane's track line.

As swood7 mentioned...this is a very useful feature for judging the turn rate (bank angle) required to intercept a course.

In my experience, Airbus glass aircraft do not have this feature (or the Boeing Banana for that matter). I would suspect there may be some Boeing patent issues with this display.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:15am
That's why the Boeing banana will never get incorporated. The avidyne plantain on the other hand is a great idea. What will the avidyne turn rate feature be called? It also seems like a great idea.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 10:17am
There may be patent issues, but (cover your ears, Orest) Foreflight has a very similar feature. It doesn't feature the segments, but otherwise works the same way. I'd assume that if they could figure out a legal way to do it, so could Avidyne.
swood7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swood7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:24am
There are multiple aircraft manufacturers that have the banana bar, though. I never flew it but when I was at the regionals I remember my friends flying the CRJ series mentioning that aircraft has it. On top of that, the CRJ has Collins glass and we have Honeywell in the Boeing, so it doesn't seem to be a Honeywell vs Collins thing, either. Beats me!
Sean Wood
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:26am
Avidyne has the same problem I do at my day job: they can do anything, but they can't do everything. I'd love for AviJake to have enough budget to double his development staff… so tell all your friends to go buy Brand A avionics!
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:48am
The Garmin G1000 has a turn vector as well. 

I'd think that a turn vector requires an AHRS to give the computer the turn rate to calculate the vector from.  The IFD550 comes close with its ARS, but doesn't have the heading piece.  Maybe they can do the same thing with the rate of change of track instead of rate of change of heading.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:17am
FF with a Stratus1 is able to do it, presumably by tracking the track delta-- it isn't getting any AHRS or magnetometer data. I'm sure Steve and the crew will put this on the candidate feature list at some point.
docricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
OK imagination, can the ifd 550 potentially serve as a standby EADI or primary instrument for that matter.
Where is Avidyne going with this?
I would not mind replacing my six pack with a IFD550

Rick
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 11:37am
I don't think so.  

I am trying to decide between upgrading a 540 to a 550 versus the Garmin G5 or Dynon AI "replacements".  (Although, I'll be keeping a vacuum AI for redundancy).

Ken
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:10pm
Anything can be a standby indication.  (An indicator additional to those specified on the airplane's type certificate.)

To be used a "required" attitude indicator (primary, secondary, whatever is required by your airplane's type certificate) the device has to be locked in the mode that displays a horizon.

In other words, you wouldn't be able to use it as anything but the attitude indicator because you wouldn't be able to access the flight plan page or any page other than the attitude indication.

Not very cost-effective.
Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:51am
If I understand it correctly, even with the 10.2 sw upgrade, the MLX-770 weather info will NOT be displayed on the screen of the IFD540. Is that correct ?
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:41pm
David,  I seem to remember that Aspen's STC, a while back, required only specific standby indicators by model number.  It forced me to install an older, noisy gyro driven, electric one instead of a new silent one.  This may have changed since put in my EFD1000 but folks should be aware the Primary's STC can cause sneaky issues with respect to installations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 10:24am
Good point.  That's because the Aspen is replacing an original required indicator.

If you're just adding an indicator (additional to the original required equipment), you can add basically anything that is certified.
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 3:21pm
"you can add basically anything that is certified."

Would you care to define what 'certified' refers to in this sentence?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
subtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 9:25am
Are traffic "horizontal trends" coming as well as a visual notification when traffic is not available?

Edited by subtle - 04 Nov 2016 at 9:27am
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 11:44am
 Hmmmm!I do not see the connection between this and "certified".

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
subtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 11:51am
I am confused by your post.

That said, the connection to this thread is that I am hopeful my two issues listed above will be addressed by 10.2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 3:39pm
I was referring to products that are conformed to a TSO standard that does not tie to an aircraft-level certification (no STC).  Meaning products that are approved at the component level.  Like a vertical gyro (attitude indicator) or an altimeter.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 2:49pm
Anyone interested making informal bets/estimates of when 10.2/IFD100 will become available? Think we'll see it in time for the first anniversary of the announcement?

Without prejudice to Avidyne, it would sure be interesting to understand the underlying reasons why the FAA takes so long to approve a new software release while Piper can get approval of the M600 with a "clean sheet wing design" and G3000 avionics suite within 44 days! There probably isn't just one cause, but still ... the contrast is blatant.

Some possibilities?
- FAA staffing levels of different departments (aircraft vs avionics).
- FAA priorities (aircraft vs avionics ... not necessarily the same thing as the first point)
- FAA comfort zone approving airplane technology vs new electronic technology
- Avidyne tying 10.2 software approval to new hardware approval; i.e. not just a software release.

Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 2:56pm
You are making several assumptions which may or may not be valid.

It is done when it is done.

David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 3:17pm
Sure, I know that. There is a lot of non-public detail behind any new product announcement and development including the timing relationship between the two. This applies equally to Piper, Garmin, and Avidyne.

I agree it will be done when it's done, and have no issue with that. But it would still be interesting to understand (even after that fact) what affects the speed of FAA approvals of this stuff, especially between aircraft and avionics design.
Vince
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 3:20pm
not all ACO's are created the same
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 4:54pm
It would be nice if Avidyne gives us a status update.  But speculating won't do anything.  As to betting on the release date there are already plenty of online gambling sites.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 6:08pm
Avidyne got heavily lambasted, admittedly by a small minority of folks, regarding previous informative posts about product release progress, when dates slipped. That is all par for the course and understandable, but I can fully understand them being shy about doing the same now.

* Orest

MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:21pm
My bet is that it is NOT Avidyne.
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:03am
Avidyne issue or not "G" is pulling away from the pack. They have been on fire with new capabilities on their boxes, They've figured out how to get it done through the FAA process. If they've gone through the same rigors as Avidyne, then it tells me they started they development and certification process long ahead of Avidyne. The capabilities Avidyne is touting as new and innovative are no longer (which we still don't have access too) and are standard features with the competition's boxes, i.e.  flight plan transfer, updating databases through a tablet, voice commands etc. "G" also makes sure that consideration is give to compatibility with legacy equipment, which I see as an issue with Avidyne. BTW - before the haters chime in, I put my money where my mouth is, I invested in a 540-440-AMX 240 and a remote transponder, so I too have a vested interest in seeing the development of the IFD's come to fruition, just hate to see all of us make excuses for them when their competition is cleaning their clock.
dpcraig
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:12am
Along the same lines, I invested in Aspen's Connected Panel that does nothing for me. I have good friends at (the former) SkyTec and have heard the stories on trying to get movement through the government certification process. I'm now watching closely their new "SureFly" electric ignition. Big government keeps moving the target that demands more testing.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:56am
Regardless of whose fault it is, Avidyne or the FAA, a company should not promote or advertise a product or feature until it is approved. 

Avidyne has been promoting MLB100 (now Skytrax 100) compatibility with the EX5000 MFD for a couple of years, but they are now saying that the software revision to allow that is on the back burner as they are working on the IFD 10.2 revision, and it will not be ready till 2017. More realistically, it maybe even later based on prior predictions.
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:03am
I agree, in my opinion, Avidyne didn't pre-announce all these great things that haven't materialized out of the kindness of their heart, they did it to give an impression they are ahead of the technology curve and to stave off competition that was truly ahead of the curve and to the market. The carrot dangling isn't working anymore, the competition is setting the pace.
dpcraig
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Quote: Regardless of whose fault it is, Avidyne or the FAA, a company should not promote or advertise a product or feature until it is approved.

Understand the competitive market, but I don't think "coming soon" is a good business strategy, unless soon is, say, < 3 months.

Just my opinion.

I've learned from this, in a larger business sense, in terms of not previewing things until they are tangible.

David Gates
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 11:38am
I agree...I am losing that,"loving feeling"....Starting to spend money on other things like Aspen, fix up older items and looking to making things that really matter like Engines be the priority. I to wish the new items were not introduced until they are ready. May have no money left for upgrades on avionics. 
Khuffine
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:14pm
I think it will be great when it happens.

One thing to consider is while we are waiting for 10.2 to be released, others are preparing other "goodies" which Avidyne will be playing catch-up about.

Resources.
David Gates
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 10:35pm
It will be great. I wonder when Santa will come!
Khuffine
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We have a bid to do the Android work that is being re-worked by the bidder.  If that comes back attractive, we'll pull the trigger.   I met with him at Oshkosh and we're both optimistic.   We'll see.

How did this bidding go? Do you have any info you can share AviSimpson?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic