Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:01am
I don't have any more information to add, I wasn't apart of that conversation. What I can add is that there is certainly interest on our end, once the dust settles with the 10.2 fury, I will see where we can fit this in.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
210 Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:52am
Maybe a letter writing campaign to your FAA...??? Let them know this is a long overdue update, and there are hundreds of us waiting.

Edited by 210 Driver - 25 Nov 2016 at 12:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

It would be nice if Avidyne gives us a status update.  But speculating won't do anything.  As to betting on the release date there are already plenty of online gambling sites.

Maybe a letter writing campaign to your FAA...??? Let them know this is a long overdue update, and there are hundreds of us waiting.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 9:30am
When 10.2.0.0 is released, will it be customer / local mechanic downloadable?

A few months ago, Avidyne changed the initial Dealer Support web page where the previous IFD update downloads were located. Unless I'm missing another public web page that contains the latest IFD update download, it now appears dealer credentials are required for access to IFD updates.

Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 2:10pm
It you must write to someone, write to your congressman, not the FAA.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Old Bob Siegfried Old Bob Siegfried wrote:

I agree. Writing the FAA will just slow things down while somebody reads the letters. The FAA has its procedures and it's going to follow them no matter what. Pressure from outside won't speed anyone up.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Old Bob Siegfried Old Bob Siegfried wrote:

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Can't Old Bob...Canadian. The 540 sure is a great box though,really enjoying learning its capabilities flying through the States!
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:39am
Quote   Let [the FAA] know this is a long overdue update, and there are hundreds of us waiting.

1: They already know.
2: They don't care (and they shouldn't).

Their job is to review data without bias or pressure.  Sometimes they're really good at that, sometimes not.  But you can only ask Dad "are we there yet" so many times before he just pulls the car over in frustration to bark at you.  Then you're not going anywhere.

It's a lot like being in line at the DMV.  You can't jump the line.  You can't make it go any faster.  You can't leave and go somewhere else.  You just have to wait.  The system doesn't care.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 28 Nov 2016 at 7:40am
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 11:32am
Why assume the people at the FAA who are reviewing Avidyne's work don't care?  Could there be a lot of back and forth going on?  Could Avidyne be taking a lot of time to address questions and generate missing data the reviewers may be asking for?  Could Avidyne actually be experiencing difficulty showing the platform is stable or the data reliable?  Or could it be that the FAA reviewers are actually acting in bad faith out of some kind of animus towards Avidyne and its hapless customers?  Or are they just short-staffed, lazy, inexperienced and/or overwhelmed?  Or is Garmin but not Avidyne willing to pay the personal bribe money the reviewers are demanding as a condition of approval? Or some random combination of any of the above possible reasons?  Who outside of Avidyne and the FAA knows the facts? Will the FAA or Avidyne make public the communications each has had about this issue so that we have actual facts to base conclusions upon?

No, probably not - more likely is that this forever remain a mystery allowing frustrated and imaginary juices to flow in people who will speculate and get agitated.  I wish all communications with government involving proprietary information weren't so shrouded in secrecy.  Surely there is a way to redact what it truly proprietary so we can see what is going on without harming confidential corporate secrets, plans and inventions.  But who would be the final judge limiting what gets redacted just to proprietary stuff, while not redacting all the embarrassing parts so the public gets the whole story?  Would manufacturers ever allow that? 

I am as anxious to get my hands on 10.2 as anyone, but I'm resigned to never knowing the actual details of this specific approval history, and therefore unable judge for myself how it can be improved or whom to blame.  What I do know is that I don't want any experimental primary navigational equipment in my airplane, so I'm not willing to skip the approval process - whoever is responsible for the delays - just so I can have it right now.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

What I do know is that I don't want any experimental primary navigational equipment in my airplane, so I'm not willing to skip the approval process - whoever is responsible for the delays - just so I can have it right now.

Amen.
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 12:18am
David,
My #1 540 displays and gives audio alerts from TAS605, and #2 540 displays MLB100 ADSB.  No separate audio alert AFAIK, but I display the traffic rings on #2 540 as extra alert of proximity.

BTW, the Aspens also display the #1 540 TAS targets.

All we really need is the long awaited TAS "A" and v10.2 software updates - OK, its End of November...

Tom W 

p.s.  It sure would be great if Avidyne would deal with Seattle Avionics instead of Jepp to supply Charts for our 540's, especially since I just broke for their "Black Friday" ChartData1 deal!

Edited by n7ifr - 30 Nov 2016 at 12:24am
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:47am
Apparently Jeppesen believes that the arrival of 10.2 is near.  When I downloaded the latest database revisions, I noticed an alert from them of an upcoming update for JDM to accommodate 10.2  They went on to say "in the next few weeks".
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We are now sufficiently close to completion that it is safe to provide the content of Release 10.2.0.0:

New Features:

1.   1. 1. Added support for multiple options on the IFD-series to include:

a.       WiFi/Bluetooth

b.      FLTA and 500’ Callouts

c.       TAWS

d.      On-board Digital Radar

e.      Video Input/Display

f.        Synthetic Vision

g.       16W VHF Comm Transmit Power

h.      SAR/Special Use

i.         Capstone compliant ADS-B Receivers

2.   .   2. Added support for European VFR Visual Approach, Landing and Area Charts – this is a new chart option in the chart list for those customers who have elected to add that capability to their Jepp subscription.

3.       3. Added support for Digital Radar – a new optional RADAR tab has been added to the MAP page and weather radar overlays are supported on the moving map.

4.       4. Added support for TIS traffic display – adds TIS track lines and TIS related “Traffic Not Available” CAS messages

5.       5. Added support for GDL-88 – added ability to communicate with, and display data from, Garmin GDL-88 devices

6.       6. Added support for GTX-330ES – Adds ability to communicate with, and send ADS-B compliant position data to the GTX-330ES

7.      7.  Added support for Video input and display – a new optional VIDEO tab has been added to the MAP page which displays input from any RS-170 format camera.  The display can support full-color video input and IR camera input and is pinch zoom-able and pan-able.

8.      8.  Added support for TAWS – adds the rest of the TAWS capability to include Premature Descent Alert, Excessive Sink Rate, Negative Climb Rate after Takeoff or Go-Around, TAWS Self Test and associated aurals.   It is likely the TSO approval will be a follow-on approval after 10.2.0.0 release.

9.       9.  Added Synthetic Vision to all IFDs – a new optional SVS tab has been added to the MAP page which displays an “exocentric” view of your airplane against 3D terrain and obstacles along with flight plan information.

10. 10.  Adds support for Search and Rescue and Special Use patterns – provides an option for circular orbits around a point.

11. 11.  Added a new “Direct Distance to Active Waypoint” datablock – this datablock provides a constant snap vector including direct distance to the active waypoint.  This does NOT add a buttonhook type of turn toward the waypoint if not already facing it.

12  12. Added a new “Active Waypoint Direct Info” datablock – Adds a new datablock which displays bearing, distance, time to go to active waypoint using a straight line assumption.

13.  13. Added a new “Designated Waypoint Info” datablock – this is my personal favorite and allows you to designate any waypoint in the system (not just in the flight plan) to be an anchor point and provides bearing, radial, distance, time-to-go data elements.  To change the designated waypoint, just touch on the datablock which pops up a virtual keyboard to type in a new waypoint.  The waypoint selected will survive across power cycles.

14. 14.  Adds Demo mode – this feature adds a means in maintenance mode to put the IFD into Demo mode.  Once in demo mode, a special splash screen pops up at each power up and if you accept it, it puts the IFD into demo mode.  The IFD will “fly” the flight plan entered including any altitude constraints.  This mode is entered if a properly configured USB fob is inserted into the USB port prior to power up.  Great for dealers and even useful for in-airplane ground training.

15. 15.  Added WX-500 Self Test capability – adds a new WX500 self test page to Maintenance mode for debug and troubleshooting purposes

16. 16.  IFD550 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD550 product which will be released at the same time.  The IFD550 contains an internal Attitude Reference System (a set of TSO’d gyros and accels) that computes and displays a TSO’d attitude indication.  Both Synthetic Vision and a traditional blue/brown ADI depictions are available.  The Synthetic Vision view is an “egocentric” or out-the-window view with 3D traffic, 3D terrain, 3D obstacles, 3D flight plan depiction, Total Velocity Vector (TVV)/Flight Path Marker (FPM) depiction, highlighted airfields and runways, and vertical/lateral deviation indicators.

17. 17.  IFD545 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD545 product which is the IFD550 without the VHF com/nav capability.

18. 18.  IFD510 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD510 product which is the IFD540 without the VHF com/nav capability.

19. 19.  IFD410 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD410 product which is the IFD440 without the VHF com/nav capability.

20. 20.  Adds transponder test capability – a new transponder test page/mode has been added to maintenance mode that tests the transponder output signals and gives great feedback to the installer/tester/troubleshooter.

21. 21.  Adds a port monitor capability – a new page has been added to maintenance mode that allows an installer/troubleshooter to monitor all the traffic on the various data com ports of the IFD.

22. 22.  Adds a Terrain database version ID to the SYS page – just like with Nav, Obstacle and Chart data, we are now displaying the version number/date of the on-board terrain database.

23. 23.  Displays Navaids on FMS INFO tab – adds a new sub-tab to the FMS INFO tab that shows nearby navaids

24.  24. Adds new User ID datablock – this new datablock identifies the current User Profile in use. Especially useful in those multiple owner airplanes or the pilots who want to set up profiles for various phases of flight.

25.  25. Adds Transition Level/Altitude Alert – made additions to the FMS Setup page to allow designation of local area transition level/altitude and has associated CAS messages with them as the transition level/altitude is approached.

26.  26. Adds Sidetone Adjust capability – added a new row on the Volume page to provide a means to adjust the VHF transmission side tone level.

27.  27. Adds other new maintenance mode selections and pages – added several new selection types for RS-232 devices, radar calibration page, stormscope test page, IFD550 attitude sensor calibration page, and others

Improvements:

28.  28  Improved WiFi capability – adds two-way WiFi so data (e.g. flight plans) can be sent from an external device/application to the IFD and added more data in the WiFi stream from the IFD to include ADS-B weather, ADS-B traffic, attitude data from the IFD550/545, user waypoints, stored routes, etc).  This also includes support for the new free IFD100 iPad app which is a fully interactive version of the IFD running on an iPad.  When connected via WiFi to the panel mount IFD, virtually all inputs made on one IFD are reflected on the other.  It's WAY COOL!

29. 29.  Adds 16W VHF Transmit power capability to the IFD 4-series – IFD4-series now has the option for 16W transmit power. Fielded IFD440s can be upgraded from 10W to 16W if desired.

30.  30.  Navigation Database upload speeds dramatically increased – Nav database upload times have been dramatically reduced.  For example, 15MB worldwide nav data used to take 7 minutes to upload and now takes 40 seconds.

31. 31.  Full Bluetooth Keyboard mapping – adds all missing mapping to the Bluetooth keyboards.

32. 32.  Additional ADS-B weather products – adds Winds Aloft, Temps Aloft, and TFRs from the MLB100 datastream for display on the IFD

33. 33.  Ability to turn off individual GPS satellite vehicles – individual satellite vehicle numbers can be manually excluded from the GPS solution in maintenance mode.  This should be especially helpful in the southern hemisphere (e.g. Australia and New Zealand) where WAAS and MSAS satellites can be viewed but may be troublesome.

34. 34.  Enhanced GPS signal lock robustness – a number of additional enhancements were made to the GPS lock algorithms.

35. 35.  Allow multiple outputs of the same data stream – previously, you could only have one instance of a RS-232 data type in Maintenance Mode and now you can have up to 6 instances of the same type.  For example, you can now set “Aviation” on all six serial ports if you want.

36. 36.  Configuration Save Improvements – this should help out those customers who use the Windows simulator and configure the IFD as they want and try to save those settings to a USB fob for importing into an actual IFD.  Those settings were not being fully implemented on the actual IFD until now.

37. 37.  Add aural alert to ADS-B traffic TAs – An aural “bing” now accompanies ADS-B sourced traffic TAs.

38. 38.  Improved VOR nav sensitivity – the overall VOR sensitivity was improved which greatly improves Morse Code decode times and accuracy.

39. 39.  Improved enroute transitions - When inserting a SID into the flight plan, the system will generally present only a dropdown containing enroute transitions. When the user selects the transition, a SID is inserted with a runway transition corresponding to the selected runway. However, if there is no selected runway, then no runway transition is inserted. This has led to some users wondering why their SID is "missing legs".  That has been addressed in 10.2.

40. 40.  Added WiFi and Bluetooth logo icons to the top datablock strip – the added logos will be a clear indication which capability has been enabled on that IFD

41. 41.  Moved the WiFi/BT accept dialog box up to the startup sequence – moves that dialog box up to the startup sequence if the IFD has WiFi or Bluetooth enabled and at least one of them configured in User Options to be On.

42. 42.  Depicted GPS signal strength – improves the visual depiction of GPS satellite signal-to-noise ratio bars on the GPS status page

43. 43.  Enhanced Guard Freq swapping behavior – When pressing and holding the Swap key to push 121.5 into the active com freq, the system will now automatically push the previous active freq into the standby slot.

44. 44.  VLOC Yellow on ILS Approach – there were some ILS approaches that were coded differently in the nav database and did not toggle the VLOC nav source indicator to green when they should have.  That has been rectified in this release.

45. 45.  Offer more possibilities when entering a waypoint – instead of limiting dropdown waypoint choices to previously determined most logical choices, all choices with the identifier are now possible.

46. 46.  Improved thumbnail dwell time - adds a dwell time requirement to effect change on the traffic and transponder thumbnails.  This fixes an issue where scrolling the datablocks column could adversely/unintentionally change the traffic or transponder state

47. 47.  Improved Published Holds – there were some subtle uses of published holds that we did not know about operationally.  This change allows selection of the type of hold to be used when there are multiple published holds on the same database waypoint.

48. 48.  Runway length in meters - When meters selected as units in User Options distance units field, the runway length information on the INFO tab will be displayed in meters. Also affects map pop up info boxes and Map Setup page filtering by runway length.

49. 49.  ADS-B traffic symbols – adds the directional indication symbol to ADS-B sourced traffic blips

50. 50.  Cyclic scroll on waypoint lat/lon entry - When entering in lat lon coordinates, instead of preventing a rollover from 0 to 9 as pre-10.2 behaved, now you can twist the knob to go around the horn.

51. 51.  Timer label changes – a few cosmetic changes to titles of timers.  “Departure Timer” is now “Event Times” and start options have been wordsmithed.

52. 52.  Title change of User ID datablock – changes the title of the datablock from “User ID” to “User Profile”.

53.  53. Jet/Victor Airways visibility on map – changed the altitudes at which Jet Airways and Victor Airways are suppressed from view on the map. 

54. 54.  Removed floating “TRK” - In pre-10.2 systems, if you turned off the digital heading box on the Map, we left a floating “TRK” indication.  That is now removed if digital heading/track is removed too.

55. 55.   Map tab hiding info on Charts page – moves the page alignment as required so that the MAP page tabs do not obscure Chart data.

56. 56.  Enhanced virtual keyboard ops during edits - removes a behavior where the virtual keyboard would be removed if you used the space key during edits to the User Profile name.

57. 57.  Improved cursor behavior on Chart list page – prevents the cursor from moving beyond your field of view (below the visible page) when on the Chart list page.

58. 58.  Removes invalid temps from Mx Mode display page – removes some unused or invalid temps on the I/O card sub-page in Mx mode.

59.  59. Improved GPS status flagging – no longer flags GPS position as “bad” when the UTC Invalid flag is set.

60. 60.  Changed default state of maintenance mode updates page - changes the default of all FOB files being selected for upload to no files selected in an attempt to reduce unintended SW/database or updates loading.

61. 61.  KFC225 Nav Arming in Dual IFDs – improves the clarity of which IFD arms the autopilot NAV mode in dual IFD-KFC225 equipped aircraft.

Issues Remedied

62. 62.   Restore missing datablock in top datablock strip – restores the missing Crosstrack Deviation datablock option to the top datablock strip after it had been inadvertently removed a few releases ago.

63. 63.  Fixes Datalink no coverage cross hatching indications – we had some cases where big/gigantic no-coverage cross hatching indications from ADS-B weather were displayed.

64. 64.  Fixed times in G500 and GMX200 - There were some conditions where the times displayed on the G500 and GMX200 were off by an hour due to a bug in our interpretation of the data messages.  That’s now resolved.

65. 65.   Fixed GMX200 Reboot issue – remedied an issue that would cause the GMX200 to reboot after its disclaimer page was acknowledged.

66. 66.  Fixed improper use of pressure altitude on GPS Status Page – eliminates the use of pressure altitude on the GPS Status page for the altitude field and in the Aviation 232 output stream.  It’s GPS Altitude or nothing now.

67.  67. G500 ILS Autoslew course issued resolved – remedied an issue in which the ILS course was not always properly autoslewing in a G500/600.

68. 68.  Altitude Constraint Removal issue resolved – remedied an issue in which the inserted altitude constraint would get removed when inserting an airway after a leg.

69.  69. Remedied and issue in the way arc legs were drawn on Garmin displays - resolved the issue where on MX20/GMX200/G500, Arc legs are not able to be drawn greater than 255 degrees. Most DME Arcs are significantly less than that but it has been found that the Nav database does contain some arcs that are greater than 255 degrees (ex. SASJ OSEBO 4A Departure - GESPA transition)

70.  70. VR leg altitude constraint radial display fix – remedied an issue where the radial on an altitude constraint VR leg would not display 3 digits if less than 100 degrees.

71. 71.  Fixed Next Leg CAS issue – the “Next Leg” CAS message was supposed to be a Delete on Ack message but that was not implemented correctly in Release 10.1.1.0.

72. 72.   Remedied an issue in datablock location display – remedied an issue that caused discrete jumping of display location in datablocks when using User IDs 2-5.

73. 73.   Fixed inappropriate dismissal of virtual keyboard – some of the AUX – Setup pages would get keyboards in places and times that they shouldn’t and this is now fixed.

74. 74.  Fixed AM/PM error in ETA calculation –remedied an issue that typically produced an error in ETA time label (AM was PM and PM was AM).

It has been near completion since April, few weeks is wishful thinking
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 1:36pm
I heard that garmin approves their own stuff because the FAA is unable to be as good as Garmin so they allow them to approve when THEY think its ready for the public..Anyone else heard that??
Khuffine
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:23pm
Garmin has an ODA which has  delegation for PMA's, STC's and TSOA's.

Edited by tony - 01 Dec 2016 at 5:27pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Garmin has an ODA which has  delegation for PMA's, STC's and TSOA's.

Very handy.

* Orest
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:52pm
There's a clue in that 10.2 features post I missed before:
"16.  IFD550 Support – Release 10.2.0.0 software fully supports the new IFD550 product which will be released at the same time."

We all know about the IFD 540 approval delays.  I'm going to speculate that Avidyne has been holding back the software pending 550 approval, if for no other reason than to ensure that any last-minute fixes the FAA requires for the 550 show up in the release.   The SW release process is not something they'd want to do on a monthly basis where outside approvals are necessary.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:39am
I don't know if holding back is the correct term, but it is pretty clear that 10.2 and IFD550 availability will happen at the same time. I think that Avidyne has intentionally linked 10.2 & IFD550 approvals, possibly for internal & FAA interlock efficiency reasons, like the one you mention.
Vince
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 7:37am
Originally posted by catini catini wrote:

Or is Garmin but not Avidyne willing to pay the personal bribe money the reviewers are demanding as a condition of approval?
Originally posted by khuffine khuffine wrote:

I heard that garmin approves their own stuff because the FAA is unable to be as good as Garmin so they allow them to approve when THEY think its ready for the public..Anyone else heard that??

It's not exactly bribe money, but as Tony said, Garmin has an ODA.  Just as the FAA delegates pilot approval to a Designated Pilot Examiner, they also have the ability to delegate certification approval.

Getting an ODA takes years (possibly decades) of product approval history.  Only the largest companies get an ODA (think Boeing, Cessna).  But once you have ODA, your ODA office does the approval for your products, and the FAA audits the ODA office to ensure they are following their procedures and staying within their limitations.  The nice thing about ODA is that it is not subject to government funding limitations, and it is not responsible for approving products for any/every applicant that walks in the door with a gadget and a dream.

Garmin's ODA has hundreds and hundreds of employees working 100% of the time on only Garmin certification projects.  (This doesn't count the number of people on the true "Garmin" side of the wall submitting the applications.)

I believe in economics, they refer to this as a "barrier to entry".

David Bunin

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:23am
Wow, that ODA is the key to the vault.  Amazing it takes hundreds of employees just to accomplish for Garmin what the FAA folks have to do for everybody else.  If it takes that kind of manpower to ensure products are safe and reliable, it's no wonder especially with sequestration and budget cuts that the FAA can't provide same-day service for everyone else.

Edited by Catani - 03 Dec 2016 at 8:24am
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 9:49am
In fairness, Garmin has a broader product line that they have to tend to, including helicopter-specific products, all of the Gx000 stuff, and offerings for both Part 23 and Part 25 aircraft. That doesn't necessarily translate to "hundreds" but I can easily see why they'd need a much larger staff than Avidyne might to get the same product velocity.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

In fairness, Garmin has a broader product line that they have to tend to, including helicopter-specific products, all of the Gx000 stuff, and offerings for both Part 23 and Part 25 aircraft. That doesn't necessarily translate to "hundreds" but I can easily see why they'd need a much larger staff than Avidyne might to get the same product velocity.
Yes, of course, Garmin would require more workers to produce their more expansive product line.  Ferrari doesn't have as many manufacturing workers as Ford or Chevy as another example.  The more widgets you make, the more workers you need to make them.  But that's beside the point.

My point was that, according to Tony and David, Garmin has a separate class of employees that Avidyne does not: those in Garmin's ODA department.  For this class of employee, Garmin doesn't have more ODA staff than Avidyne because of Garmin's size, Garmin has more of them because Avidyne doesn't have any.

Garmin pays their ODA employees to do what FAA employees would otherwise do.  Since the ODA headcount is in the hundreds according to David, Garmin must be paying a lot for this capability.  It also gives you an idea of the scale of QA it takes for just one company's products to assure the products do what they are supposed to do reliably and safefly.  While Avidyne relies upon the FAA for this service, the manpower Garmin needs on its own gives you a glimpse of the manpower the FAA would need to do that job for everybody else at the same speed Garmin can do for itself.  Even worse from Avidyne's perspective, FAA's budget cuts and sequestration and staff reductions have given Garmin an even greater competitive advantage than they would have had otherwise.  Another cross for Avidyne and competitors to bear, not to mention their patiently waiting customers.

Edited by Catani - 04 Dec 2016 at 10:50am
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:31pm

I purchased my IFD 440 through one of Avidyne’s distributors, SteinAir, as a trade-up from my Garmin 430w. Before I swapped out my Garmin 430w for the IFD440 I specially asked about the compatibility.  You can see my question, and their answer (that they got from their contact at Avidyne) below.  HOWEVER, I didn’t learn until later that in fact the Garmin 330ES is NOT supported until version 10.2  Now I’m stuck with ADS-B that is no longer working correctly anymore.  So at this point it’s really irrelevant who’s the bottleneck that’s causing 10.2 not to be ready yet. It’s Absolutely Ridiculous that something which was “now sufficiently close to completion” on APRIL 1st still isn’t available 8+ months later.

----

ME: on the 2nd page of the setup, the RS232 page, I have a couple questions.

Their “Aviation” selection calls out a GTX 327, but I have a GTX 330ES. 

And in my Garmin I have “ADS-B OUT +”. The closest I see is in the Avidyne manual is “ADS-B (Avi)”.  Again, it doesn’t list my GTX330ES either.

Despite the differences, are these the equivalent settings that I will be entering into the 440?

STEINAIR (Their Authorized Distributor): You will set the IFD440 serial # 2 out to Aviation. The list of devices such as the GTX327, is just an example of items that use the Aviation format. It is the same format as Aviation on the GNS430W. You will set serial #3 out to ADS-B (Avi). That is the same as Garmin’s ADS-B+.

OliverBucher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 12:24pm

Hello,

after update the Jeppesen JDM I see as a remark that I need software 10.2. Can I use now the downloaded NavData´s ... ?

Oliver Bucher
Plane: DA40-180
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 1:06pm
Yes Oliver.

This remark just appeared very recently, with update cycle 1611 or 1612 I believe. I have been continuing to update including the latest 1613 that became effective last week and they work fine.

Apparently Jepp feels that they are ready to support 10.2 which is good news even if their way of communicating that is a bit odd.
Vince
GuyRocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyRocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 11:54am
I learned that the hard way too.  I lost ADSB compliance when I swapped my 530W for an IFD 540 in my RV-10.  The equivalent of ADS-B OUT+ is coming in release 10.2.  Both Avidyne and Rob Hickman from Advanced Flight Systems have confirmed this.

Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

I purchased my IFD 440 through one of Avidyne’s distributors, SteinAir, as a trade-up from my Garmin 430w. Before I swapped out my Garmin 430w for the IFD440 I specially asked about the compatibility.  You can see my question, and their answer (that they got from their contact at Avidyne) below.  HOWEVER, I didn’t learn until later that in fact the Garmin 330ES is NOT supported until version 10.2  Now I’m stuck with ADS-B that is no longer working correctly anymore.  So at this point it’s really irrelevant who’s the bottleneck that’s causing 10.2 not to be ready yet. It’s Absolutely Ridiculous that something which was “now sufficiently close to completion” on APRIL 1st still isn’t available 8+ months later.

----

ME: on the 2nd page of the setup, the RS232 page, I have a couple questions.

Their “Aviation” selection calls out a GTX 327, but I have a GTX 330ES. 

And in my Garmin I have “ADS-B OUT +”. The closest I see is in the Avidyne manual is “ADS-B (Avi)”.  Again, it doesn’t list my GTX330ES either.

Despite the differences, are these the equivalent settings that I will be entering into the 440?

STEINAIR (Their Authorized Distributor): You will set the IFD440 serial # 2 out to Aviation. The list of devices such as the GTX327, is just an example of items that use the Aviation format. It is the same format as Aviation on the GNS430W. You will set serial #3 out to ADS-B (Avi). That is the same as Garmin’s ADS-B+.

RV-8
RV-10
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 10:55pm
All I want for xmas is 10.2 and ifd100 under my tree😜
Khuffine
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 11:34pm

You just might get your wish...

...in 2017.

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 1:18am

+1 !!!
cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:55am
+2!!!!!
jkturner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkturner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 4:26pm
+3!!!!!!
JT
N927BC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 4:45pm
I think we all have a good chance to get 10.2 for Christmas (2017)
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:12pm
Dreamer!

Nice to see your confidence though.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:23pm
Old Bob you crack me up! Can't beat someone that just puts it out there, I'm guessing a chocolate bunny with a sim card inside from AviSimpson... 
GDC25
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:23am
AV jake/AV Simpson:
Give us Holiday Hope.  

At least give us another Avidyne promise for a "Target" date.  

How about a new Target Date New Year's 2017 Resolution for v10.2 to fix some of the very old squawks in present 540's and for the even longer overdue promised and "paid for upgrades" for TAS "A".  

Breath holding getting very old.

Tom W.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 12:23pm
Bah , Humbug.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 1:44pm
Waiting hasn't been fun and I suspect we will have some more fun yet in that context.

-BUT-

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL THE AVIDYNE STAFF AND PARTICIPANTS ON THIS BOARD.

It's snowing cats and dogs (?) in Northern Arizona so would not be flying anyway.
David Gates
OliverBucher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 12:25pm

Hello,

in the newest IFD540 FAQ document from Avidyne (27.12.2016) is a interesting statement about the 10.2

Release 10.2 must be finished :-)

Cause I am from germany and my english ICAO Level is only 4. "was approved" must be the past or?

But now I hope that it will be released in January. I am waiting hopefully for the European VFR Charts. Due to the Jeppesen Data bundel, I have at the moment no VFR Approach Charts avaiable. Or I must pay a realy high price for the additional subscription.

Greetings Oliver

Oliver Bucher
Plane: DA40-180
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
Oliver, your observations appear to be spot on. Of course the FAQ could still be updated, yet again - let's hope not.

* Orest
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
You are quite correct. 

The verb tense is clearly wrong, but Avidyne has two weeks to render it it mostly-correct.  Let's hope they make it!

(Explaining my nit-picking of the FAQ -> "Mostly-correct":  Even if they release in January - please, please, please - the past-tense can never be correct for a statement overtly labelled to be valid on a date prior to described event.   Until we master time-travel.)
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:13pm
As of 27 December 2016, Avidyne appears to have considered January 2017 to be in the past.   ;-)

Seriously, this is very good news indeed and we should perhaps expect a press release within the next two weeks, announcing availability.

I notice that at the moment there is nothing in the Apple store yet related to the IFD100. There are a lot of open questions about how the IFD100 and panel-mounts will be kept in software release, navdata, waypoint, FPL, etc sync. So there must be some doc updates also in the works, perhaps even an IFD100-specific manual ???

Vince
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 1:58pm
Let's hope this isn't 'fake news.' 

However, as much that has been discussed and as long as this has taken, some of us will be disappointed, considering the posts on the 'what I wish for in the next update' thread.

If all the changes proposed back in April are incorporated, let us be wishful for future updates, and I fly just an old 182.
Be happy! Your choice.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:30am

Being new to Avidyne equipment (somewhat regrettably at this point, I have to say), maybe my expectations haven't been sufficiently beaten down yet, and to the rest of you this may be a ridiculous question. Why isn't AVIDYNE joining in on this forum and keeping its Customers informed on what's going on???
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:33am
In general, they do and they have. But in the past, similar threads about software releases have gone a bit wonky. Avidyne doesn't have, and can't guarantee, an exact date for the release because they're waiting on the FAA. With past releases, when AviJake mentioned possible release dates and they were missed, some of us got out the torches and pitchforks. So although AviSimpson answers posts in a lot of *other* threads, I suspect there's been a conscious decision by the Avidyne brass to refrain from posts about 10.2 availability until it is 100% done and ready to ship. I can't say that I blame them. It'll be done when it's done.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 9:43am

Yes, I can see their point on that.  And If this were simply 'cool new features' that I was waiting on I guess I would be more understanding.  But I'm frustrated by being in the position now where my aircraft's ADS-B is no longer working correctly (Nov 25th post).  I would think that Avidyne would have a relationship with the FAA that would keep them in the loop and provide them with more insight to the FAA's schedule. Perhaps Avidyne is as frustrated with the FAA as I am with this situation.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

Perhaps Avidyne is as frustrated with the FAA as I am with this situation.
I am sure that is the case, or at least frustrated that the process takes as long as it does, even if there might be good reasons for it.

Certainly there are no meetings at Avidyne World Headquarters where they're sitting around congratulating each other on how another month has gone by without 10.2 hitting the street.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:34pm
+1 on the comments above.

Consider also that Avidyne is perhaps the only major avionics manufacturer that provides this kind of active forum presence. You have to give them full marks for that.

I am sure that it will be Avidyne itself, that will be the very happiest when 10.2 releases.

* Orest
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:11pm
I give Avidyne "full marks" for their responsiveness, and for being one of the only major manufacturers to be so open with their user community.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:16am
Sorry for the delay in posting an update, I was hoping to post an "all done and ready to go" post but we can't (as AviJake would say) "spike the ball" just yet. With the holidays and a recent personal vacation, I wasn't able to get a post out sooner to you all so I apologize.

We are very very very close to FAA approval. With a release this big, there are many steps and submissions that needed to be made. It's too close to call for an approval date right now, we have our final flights with the FAA test pilot. We are at the stage were a bad weather day could push the expected date and unfortunately, we are in the season of frequent bad weather.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:29am
That's Great news and A Big Thanks for the update!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
  Share Topic