Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:40am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Has anyone used the Demo mode available in 10.2? The Pilot Guide indicates that the IFD will boot up into Demo mode if it is started with a USB fob inserted containing a dummy file named "DEMO", with no file extension or quotes. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how to create such a dummy file that will safely cause the IFD to boot up in Demo mode?

I don't yet have the 10.2 software so I can't test it myself, but since the pilot guide doesn't specify anything about the content of the file, it sounds like only what its directory entry looks like is important.  If that's true, then you could save a file with any content from any application with any arbitrary filename, and then use Windows Explorer to locate the file and rename it to:

DEMO

One way to do this would be to use your favorite word processor (if using a Windows PC, you could use Notepad), start a blank document, type the letter "a", then save the file to your USB thumbdrive with the name DEMO.  Exit out of the word processor and use Windows Explorer to locate the DEMO file you just saved.  It will almost certainly have a file extension tacked onto it (.doc if created by MS Word, .txt if created by Notepad, etc.).  Right-click on the file name ("DEMO.txt" or "DEMO.doc" or whatever it ended up being) and choose "Rename", then delete the extension (including the period), so that the filename becomes

DEMO

Then, follow the Avidyne instructions to insert the USB drive into your IFD, power it up, and watch it boot into Demo mode.

Edited by MysticCobra - 15 Mar 2017 at 1:43am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Thanks Gring. Have you experienced any bugs as yet?

I have only flown one flight and tested an LPV approach, the TAWS callouts, the Airspace aural, and the basic functions.  I forgot to check the new Syn Vis page and my alternator failed into the flight so it was cut short.  I've since repaired the alternator wire that broke, but the 3 feet of snow and 50mph winds are preventing me from flying further.

But, no, no bugs noticed on the one flight.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:54am
Thank you
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

One way to do this would be to use your favorite word processor (if using a Windows PC, you could use Notepad), start a blank document, type the letter "a", then save the file to your USB thumbdrive with the name DEMO.  Exit out of the word processor and use Windows Explorer to locate the DEMO file you just saved.  It will almost certainly have a file extension tacked onto it (.doc if created by MS Word, .txt if created by Notepad, etc.).  Right-click on the file name ("DEMO.txt" or "DEMO.doc" or whatever it ended up being) and choose "Rename", then delete the extension (including the period), so that the filename becomes

DEMO

Then, follow the Avidyne instructions to insert the USB drive into your IFD, power it up, and watch it boot into Demo mode.

Thanks. This process worked fine. I just created an empty text file and removed the .txt extension, and the system worked as advertised. If one's computer is set up to hide file extensions, it might take a little more effort.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 5:42pm

I’ve flown several legs including two LNAV practice approaches now with 10.2 – no real issues. The only outstanding item my avionics shop is working on is the new ‘ADS-B Degraded’ message in the traffic thumbnail indicated in the photo below. Although I can’t tell that it had any impact on performance.

I have had the full ‘Dream Panel’ configuration well over a year now and I am a big fan of these products.

A few random comments about 10.2…

Navigation Databases now upload in a fraction of the time it previously took.

The upgraded ADS-B traffic functionality with direction indication and updated symbols is nice.  It even displays the other aircraft tail numbers in certain modes. Still trying to understand what drives the tail number display to work because it didn’t always display them.

The Direct Distance to Active Waypoint datablock will resolve most of my issues and complaints about not being able to manually cross sync.

I used the Bluetooth keyboard prior to 10.2 with limited functionality and I have to say the full functionality of the keyboard may be one of the best benefits of 10.2. I tried almost every function during my flights and it seems to work as advertised.  Not sure that I will use the keyboard for everything it can do (like COM Frequency changes) but it worked as advertised.

For those that use muscle memory you will note now that the ADS-B Weather has winds aloft information the right inner knob controls the WINDS FL XXX (see photo) to choose what altitude level the barbs represent that are shown on the screen.  (Previously this inner and outer knob zoomed the range in and out. Now the range is zoomed on the outer knob when you have winds aloft enabled on the screen.)

You also have to choose between Winds Aloft or Radar – you can only display one per unit.

In case others missed this - we also discovered in this process that the AXP-322 transponder was officially approved for ADS-B back in November so I submitted my email request for a Performance Report and received it within a couple of minutes indicating everything was working flawlessly.

Mike

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by mgrimes mgrimes wrote:

The upgraded ADS-B traffic functionality with direction indication and updated symbols is nice.  It even displays the other aircraft tail numbers in certain modes. Still trying to understand what drives the tail number display to work because it didn’t always display them.
Are you sure the targets in question actually had tail numbers?  I'm pretty sure the ADSB system can incorporate a target that was identified only through a primary radar reflection + Mode C altitude.  In that case, the system doesn't know the tail number of the target, so there's no way that tail number could be provided to you for display.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:09am
What we call ADS-B is four different services, only one of which is actually ADS B. ADS_B sources usually transmit their tail number, so a recipient of those services (direct ads-b reception, aircraft-to-aircraft) has the tail number, to display or not. aDS-R recipients get transmissions from the other band, rebroadcast by the ground station. iirc, this uses the same over-the-air protocol, so it includes the same information. TIS-B, on the other hand, contains radar info uplinked from ATC. This is probably the bulk of the traffic info you see today if you have ADS-B. They only know the tail number if you are under ATC control- IFR, Class B, or Flight following. And I don't know if that information is currently fully shared with TIS-B. So I'd expect most traffic to NOT show a tail number.
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

So I'd expect most traffic to NOT show a tail number.

I flew with Garmin ADS-B (GDL39 to an area 796) for a couple years and now about 2 years with a Stratus 2S. Up and down the west coast I've tended to see 50%+ targets with N-numbers. I was surprised how many in fact. As you'd think, towered airports tend to have more and smaller community type airports a little less. Regardless, it's very comforting to see where an aircraft is (and distance, speed) when you match the often vague radio call to an N-number on the screen. Most of the LSA and Experimental planes have been upgraded for a couple years.

Edited by TomH - 16 Mar 2017 at 1:48am
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:18am
I concur. That's the answer. The traffic with no tail numbers displayed were ADS-R targets. Thanks!
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
In the Pilot Guide, there is this statement about Wifi...

"The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode where the IFD acts as a "server" or  access point, or, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-ForeFlight network). "

But, this is the Only mention of "Stratus" that I can find in the entire manual. 

Does anyone know how I tell the IFD440 to attach to the Stratus Wifi server?

2005 Vans RV-7A
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

"The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode where the IFD acts as a "server" or  access point, or, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-ForeFlight network). "

But, this is the Only mention of "Stratus" that I can find in the entire manual. 

The WiFi setup is detailed in the install manual, beginning on page 118.  The particulars of connecting it as a client to a Stratus (or other device) begins on page 122.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

The WiFi setup is detailed in the install manual, beginning on page 118.  The particulars of connecting it as a client to a Stratus (or other device) begins on page 122.

Perfect.  Thanks!
2005 Vans RV-7A
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
For anybody who has done the 10.2 upgrade...

The service bulletin contains many clear cautions about not trying to restore any saved settings from 10.1.x.x versions.  However it doesn't say anything about whether or not data like user waypoints, routes, or checklists get wiped out during the upgrade (I will assume they do get wiped out).

Is it okay to restore those other three things as long as I don't try to restore the Settings?

One more detail to track.  Be sure you write down (or take pictures of) all of your Routes, Waypoints, and Checklists before you take your plane in for the 10.2 upgrade.

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:14am
In my upgrade experience, the checklists remained, the configuration in the maintenance pages remained.  I did not have any user waypoints or routes, so I can't speak to that.

The datablocks were reset, the FMS Setup and most of the User settings were reset.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:33am
Thanks Gring!  That's good intel.

Anybody else have a PIREP on waypoints or routes?

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:48am
User waypoints stayed saved in my upgrade.
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:07am
I have received a "Traffic Sensor Fault" on several occasions. After some time, I could see traffic again, but the fault stayed lit in the Alerts page. After some time, it finally cleared itself. Is there a way to clear Alerts off the Alert page?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:26am
Interesting. I see that quite a bit with the previous software but 10.2 was supposed to address that.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:51am
Question for users and Avidyne:

What about "Cross Sync Failure"?  Is that corrected in 10.2?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:37pm
Oddly, the only thing that disappeared in the maintenance setup pages, was the GPS antenna height. Something to explicitly check.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Oddly, the only thing that disappeared in the maintenance setup pages, was the GPS antenna height.

The service bulletin mentions that one.  Here is the list of things that the SB says get erased:

Quote Specific items that will reset to default values includes:
o GPS antenna vertical - Settable in Maintenance mode.
o All settings on the "Main System Config Page" - Settable in Maintenance mode.
o All Datablocks -- Settable in Flight Mode
o All Volume settings -- Settable in Flight Mode
o All "User Options" -- Settable in Flight Mode
          NOTE: Do NOT download the user options and transfer to the IFD after the update.
o All FMS Setup values -- Settable in Flight Mode
o All Map Setup values -- Settable in Flight Mode

I guess it just wasn't clear to me if Checklists, Waypoints and Routes data were included with "User Options".

From the sound of it, I'm think I'm just going to pretend that none of the Save/Restore functions are transferable from 10.1.x.x to 10.2.x.x.  I'll write down (or take pictures of) EVERYTHING, and whatever DOESN'T need to be reset or reprogrammed manually afterwards, I'll just consider that a bonus.

... and of course I'll share my experience here, once I have some. 

David

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Question for users and Avidyne:

What about "Cross Sync Failure"?  Is that corrected in 10.2?
There was a "Cross Sync Failure" fix in 10.1.2 or 10.1.3. What software level were you at that you experienced issues?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:39pm
Just noticed it yesterday when flying.  Been happening for a short while.

Questions:
 -will there be a cross sync error if one gps has lock and the other doesn't?  Rebooted IFD#1, got GPS lock and C-S error seemed to clear.
-if GPS position goes to AXP340 out of box 1 and it doesn't have lock, cross sync from #2 wouldn't provide it, would it?

Thanks

David Gates
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:03am
Is there any feedback regarding the improved VLOC auto identification in 10.2? Is that noticeably better?
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
After upgrading to 10.2 the sensitivity of the VLOC ID feature seemed much better.  I think that I was decoding VOR's at twice the distance compared to 10.1.0.0.  
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:15pm
I just got back from another flight and I tested a few of the times of concern here.

1) Hold, I did several user defined holds ad several VORs, both in NM and in time, and they were drawn appropriately and when I flew them I received the appropriate turn anticipation annunciation (no GPSS in my airplane to test).

2) The VOR ident seems much faster that previously, but I only tested two VORs in close proximity so the furthest away I was was about 20NM.

The Crossync error occurs with releases before 10.1.3.0 and happens when the IO board boots up out of sequence.  My dual IFD system has one of these boxes and is missing MOD 14 so it may be a combination of software and MOD version.  The issue was fixed in 10.1.3.0 and is fine with 10.2.0.0.

You can tell if your unit has the issue because the CDI and GS needles will go full deflected left and down upon startup. 
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:23am
Thanks for the replies Freff and Gring. Looking forward to the update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:01am
My update was successful yesterday morning.

For the record, all of my Routes, Checklists, and Waypoints survived the upgrade without any data loss.

As expected, my User Options were erased, but to my amusement the customized user NAME remained.  So the IFD knew my name, but couldn't remember who I was.  Boy, I've been there.  Shake a hand at a business meeting and in my mind I'm a total blank on the individual.  Fake it until you make it, right?

I am still seeing the pre-ADS-B traffic format from my MLB100, but I'm sure that's just a matter of changing a config setting for the serial data input.  I'll do a little reading on that.

Given all of the dire warnings in the service bulletin, I used my pickup truck as a continuous source of external power.  Over the course of the upgrade (including prep time to make sure I had pictures of every possible screen with a setting first) my idling truck consumed nearly a quarter of a tank of gas.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:43am
There seems to still be a communication disconnect between Jeppesen and Avidyne on charting support in 10.2. Or Jeppesen sales staff still don't seem to know about 10.2 support for Europe VFR charts.

The Avidyne tech support portal list of 10.2 features (here: http://https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/helpcenter/articles/ifd-software-10-2-0-features) includes the following:
" 2. Added support for European VFR Visual Approach, Landing and Area Charts – this is a new chart option in the chart list for those customers who have elected to add that capability to their Jepp subscription."

When I requested a quote for this coverage from Jeppesen, I received the following reply:
"At present Jeppesen is still working with Avidyne regarding the VFR terminal charts as these are not supporting the IFD models Avidyne has experienced some technical issues rendering some VFR charts in flight mode due to sizing. We hope to have this resolved sometime this year."
!!!! :-( :-(

I've asked them to reconfirm. They replied with the following:
"My information is correct as per our technical assistance. I contacted them prior to emailing you as I too was a little unsure of the status of VFR services and its software versions. The issue has been resolved with other Avidyne units but is still not working for the IFD units"

Simpson, could you please clarify the status of this? Supported or not with 10.2?

Edited by chflyer - 19 Mar 2017 at 8:55am
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
Gring:

Would the I/O board boot sequence also affect fuel data and/or traffic sensor?

Would it explain that rebooting IFD#1 cleared the cross sync failure?
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:32pm
More fun.

After the 10.2 upgrade, I went into the Maintenance Mode to Save (backup) my data to the USB.  The first thing I noticed was that "Select All" doesn't work.  You have to select each file individually for saving.

Now that I am home, and transferring the files from the USB to my archive, I notice that there are five files on the USB, when there used to be four. A review of the User Data Backup/Restoration Procedure from the Pilot Guide (rev 3) starting on page 6-42 does not indicate any changes in functionality.  The only part with revision bars is a note that they recommend you also have an independent backup, such as pictures of the screens, which I did and do.

I already had a little truth table in my archive that I'll paste here:

- download CHECKLISTS generates a file BKyymmdd.0x0
- download  SETTINGS  generates a file BKyymmdd.0x1
- download WAYPOINTS  generates a file BKyymmdd.0x2
- download   ROUTES   generates a file BKyymmdd.0x3

Digit "x" starts at zero and will increment if/when more than one
 of that file type is saved in the same zulu day.

Now, there is also a new file BKyymmdd.0x4 on the stick.  I guess when I go out to the airplane today, I'll have to look closer to see what  the new file type might be.  Good thing there is just one that's new.  Process-of-elimination should produce the answer in just one attempt.

MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:07pm
Dang! I first flew yesterday after a long maintenance and winter. I flew the GPS approach into Granbury and forgot to even look at the synviz. :-(
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

Is there any feedback regarding the improved VLOC auto identification in 10.2? Is that noticeably better?

Dramatic improvement. Navs are IDed just as fast on the IFD as on my SL-30.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I already had a little truth table in my archive that I'll paste here:

- download CHECKLISTS generates a file BKyymmdd.0x0
- download  SETTINGS  generates a file BKyymmdd.0x1
- download WAYPOINTS  generates a file BKyymmdd.0x2
- download   ROUTES   generates a file BKyymmdd.0x3

Digit "x" starts at zero and will increment if/when more than one
 of that file type is saved in the same zulu day.

Now, there is also a new file BKyymmdd.0x4 on the stick.  I guess when I go out to the airplane today, I'll have to look closer to see what  the new file type might be.  Good thing there is just one that's new.  Process-of-elimination should produce the answer in just one attempt.

Well darn.  One step forward, one step back.

The new thing on the IFD screen is "CONFIG".  I'll make the assumption that "CONFIG" represents the settings in the Maintenance screens whereas "SETTINGS" represents the configuration of the User Options screens.  Everybody clear on that?

To prove my theory, I saved (again) only the CONFIG file so that there would only be one file on the USB stick with today's date.  I expected it to be BKyymmdd.0x4

Sadly, it is BKyymmdd.0x1 which, of COURSE is the file type that used to be SETTINGS, but now is CONFIG.  Sigh.  I'll have to test them all again to sort it out, which for expediency probably means taking a computer to the hangar.  Otherwise it could take four separate trips.

I wonder if the order they appear on the IFD screen is the sequence of the file type extensions.  CONFIG is the second thing on the screen.

The adventure continues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

Dang! I first flew yesterday after a long maintenance and winter. I flew the GPS approach into Granbury and forgot to even look at the synviz. :-(

You didn't miss anything Mark.  Our part of Texas doesn't offer anything worth seeing on the synviz screen anyway.  I checked it, and the only thing noteworthy was a "tower" off to my left, and a traffic target out ahead of me (in the pattern at the next airfield down the road).

Head out to Guadeloupe sometime and THEN take a look at synviz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 3:31pm
Here are my new definitions so far, assuming the screen order is the file sequence:

Backup file definitions:

CHECKLISTS generates a file BKyymmdd.xx0?
CONFIG        generates a file BKyymmdd.xx1
WAYPOINTS  generates a file BKyymmdd.xx2?
ROUTES        generates a file BKyymmdd.xx3?
SETTINGS     generates a file BKyymmdd.xx4?

Digits "xx" start at zero (00) and will increment (01) if/when
 more than one of that file type is saved in the same zulu day.

My guess is that if I saved ten CONFIG files in the same zulu day, it would be BKyymmdd.101

Edited by DavidBunin - 19 Mar 2017 at 3:32pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Gring:

Would the I/O board boot sequence also affect fuel data and/or traffic sensor?

Would it explain that rebooting IFD#1 cleared the cross sync failure?

I believe it would.  Mine fails the traffic, weather, etc.  My fuel data is connected to my other one.

The good news though is 10.1.3.0 and later fixes the problem.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:52pm
Thanks. Eager to see. Airplane at avionics shop now.
David Gates
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
"38.  Improved VOR nav sensitivity – the overall VOR sensitivity was improved which greatly improves Morse Code decode times and accuracy."

I have to say that this item got done well and I'm really impressed!
I have a Bob Archer antenna in my RV7A's wing, but with my GTX430 it didn't work for crap.  I couldn't get a reliable lock on the VOR/Localizer/GS to save my life.  Even coming down the GS was a gamble on whether it could stay locked in.
But now with the IFD440 running 10.2, the same setup is pulling in signals from the ILS localizer 20+ miles out. 
The IFD440 is Far superior in receiver sensitivity!

2005 Vans RV-7A
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:49pm
When is the IFD 100 expected to be available?
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:31pm
My airplane is going under the knife tomorrow to add the SkyTrax100 and the 10.2 update.

Two questions:

It was said on this forum that the Mac version of the Jeppdata software would be available by the time 10.2 was released or else the beta version would be available.  I have seen neither so far. I am concerned since I understand that the new version of JeppData is required to download data for 10.2.  What gives?  I suppose that I can always download and use the Windows version but I am concerned there that I might screw up my download count on my subscription.

I was just told today that there is no interface between the SkyTrax100 and my Aspen EFD1000 Pro.  When I fly, I rarely look at my IFD540 after I have the route and/or approach loaded.  Almost everything I need is displayed on the Aspen.  Course info, waypoint info, map underlayment, approach guidance.  What I was hoping for was to be able to see traffic and to a lesser degree, weather on the Aspen.

Is it possible to get that from either the SlyTrax100 or the IFD540?

Bonus question, how about that IFD100 app?  Is Apple sitting on it?
Woo Hoo!!!
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

When is the IFD 100 expected to be available?

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1253&title=release-status
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:07pm

Can any of you help with connecting my IFD440 to my Stratus 2s?  
I believe I've got it configured correctly, but I don't see anything on the IFD440 that would indicate that it's actually making the connection.

I would have expected to see Weather Radar showing on the 440, as well as N-Numbers (just like they do for ADS-B equipped aircraft on my iPad running Foreflight.
I was also expecting to see Metars/etc on the INFO tab.
But nothing.   I don't even see anything on the 440's screen (like an icon) that tries to show that it's connected to a remote network. maybe it doesn't have anything like that (but should if it doesn't)

Below you can see the ID of my Stratus, and unless my eyes are missing a typo I think I have it entered into the 440. btw - no, i don't have a password so i'm leaving that field blank.

I thought I'd run this by the group before I bothered tech support, just in case I'm making an obvious mistake.

2005 Vans RV-7A
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:03pm
You did it correctly. The IFD will not display ADS-B data from the Stratus, only from the Skytrax 100.  
I had the 10.2 upgrade done yesterday, configured the Stratus for wifi. What it does, it will allow you to use the Stratus with Foreflight.  When Foreflight updates the app for 2 way flight plan transfer, you will be able to do that (they do have the capability with Garmin Flight Stream, nice feature)
I tried Fltplan GO app, and it did the 2 way flight plan transfer, disappointed that Foreflight doesn't yet.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

The IFD will not display ADS-B data from the Stratus, only from the Skytrax 100.

It always seems to come down to marketing wiggle-words doesn't it  : (

From Flying magazine:

“ForeFlight has taken advantage of Avidyne’s open-architecture wireless interface, opening up many possibilities for transferring and displaying of data in the cockpit including mapping, flight planning and display of ADS-B weather and traffic as we move forward,” said Dan Schwinn, Avidyne’s president and CEO."

2005 Vans RV-7A
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:43pm
I believe that eventually foreflight may display ADS-B weather and traffic coming from the IFD if the Skytrax 100 is installed, as it does currently with the Garmin GTX 345 via Bluetooth, but not vice versa.  

I don't believe any of the Avionics manufacturers or the FAA will allow display of traffic and weather on the panel from non FAA certified equipment such as the Stratus.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:46pm
Check it out, I just noticed that the IFD100 is now available on the Apple store!  :-D
2005 Vans RV-7A
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:52pm
Someone had mentioned that earlier but wondering if it is possible to set up the data blocks on the IFD 100 or does it use the same data blocks as the IFD it is paired to?
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:02pm
I was able to fly with it today and it does allow you to have a completely different setup for datablocks. From my perspective it seems to share GPS, Flightplan (FMS), and Frequencies but everything else seems to be independent.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:57pm
Question for Simpson (or someone that knows):

Can the update to 10.2 be done on the bench?

If so, that may eliminate some of the worry about external power, or the battery running down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic