Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:35pm
My shop removed the IFD540 and did the upgrade on the bench. Went perfectly, as described in the instructions.

It had to be reinstalled and powered up to complete the MLB100/SkyTrax100 update, however, so don't be surprised about that.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 12:09am
Per the SIL:

• If doing the update on the bench both power must be supplied to connectors P5001 and P5002 on IFD540s and P4001 and P4002 on IFD440s. Failure to supply power to both connectors will result in a failed update. The failure notice on the screen will appear as shown in the picture below. Should this happen you can correct the error by powering off the IFD using the IFD power switch, avionics master switch or the circuit breaker. Make sure that you leave the USB drive in the USB port. Once power is off ensure that both P5001 and P5002 on the IFD540 and P4001 and P4002 on the IFD440 are connected to a reliable power source. Turn the IFD power back on using the same method used to power off the IFD and the update will resume.
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 12:03pm
RE: jeppesen JDM and Mac OSX

Any update ?
I use JDM and a mac and I want to be sure I can get NavData and charts before I upgrade my 540.

Anyone?

Edited by twalterhome3 - 28 Mar 2017 at 12:03pm
Tim
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:49pm
If i understand correctly, you will need to call Avidyne and get the beta version of JDM for macs in order to download compatible data.
Ron L
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:57pm
http://ww1.jeppesen.com/no-wpr/jdmmac/index.jsp  Maybe? for you mac users
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

There is very definitely one subscription for all Avidyne units in an airplane now and the IFD100 is included in that.

I understand this to mean that if one already has charts in the IFD540, then the IFD100 has them too. If Jepp refuses without additional payment, then Avidyne has a serious contractual problem with Jepp.

Having said that, the "one subscription" seems to be the key, with Jepp interpreting this to mean the bundle subscription only (as presented on their web site). If one orders individual items (e.g. navdata and charts only, without obstacles, terrain, or JeppFD), then all bets appear to be off and the IFD100 becomes a subscription like any other.

Edited by chflyer - 29 Mar 2017 at 3:55pm
Vince
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:01pm
The other issue is how they allocate their subscriptions; that is, they provide x number of licenses for "devices".  An iPad mini which carries an instance of FD Mobile and an instance of IFD100 uses two licenses; so the typical allocation of four device licenses can be used for two tablets, not four devices.
David Gates
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The other issue is how they allocate their subscriptions; that is, they provide x number of licenses for "devices".  An iPad mini which carries an instance of FD Mobile and an instance of IFD100 uses two licenses; so the typical allocation of four device licenses can be used for two tablets, not four devices.

I downloaded the IFD100 app on all three of my iPads last night.  The Jeppesen license popped up saying 1 license.  It showed that on all three iPads as I let it update the data.  I only get Navdata but it let me also have the terrain and obstructions that come with the unit.  I also went to Jeppesen and downloaded the Mac beta for JDM.  My bird is in the shop getting 10.2 and the SkyTrax100 so I haven't downloaded the current Navdata for it  and it still shows it available.

Are we going to have to update the IFD100 every time we do a Navdata update on the IFD540?

My partner has his own iPad.  How can he use the IFD100 without me giving him access to my Jeppesen account?  We are partners in the plane but I'm the one that paid for the new panel and Jeppesen account.  He is strictly a VFR pilot and has no intention of doing IFR.  He didn't mind me spending what I wanted in the airplane, he just wasn't going to contribute.  It works out OK since I have a firm Buy/sell agreement and I feel that I will be buying him out in the next couple of years.  In the mean time, we split the hanger rent, annual, insurance, and maintenance on all things not related to the panel.
Woo Hoo!!!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 1:27pm
I got this reply from Jepp about getting charts on the IFD 100. Ridiculous!!

We can certainly upgrade your subscription. To do so we would need to collect the difference in pro-rated subscription cost which would be $315.84. (This is Full US pricing)

The Services Suite Plus bundle allows us to customize the chart coverage. For Example we could set up your Nav Data as East Central US and a North Eastern or Eastern US chart coverage. Do you utilize Full US charts or would a smaller coverage area be something that would interest you

Edited by teeth6 - 07 Apr 2017 at 1:31pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 1:35pm
This is why we need Seattle Avionics right now, if not sooner!
Sauce
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 4:54pm
+1
dkit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 11:34am
Same complaint.  10.2.0.0  Latest version FlyQ.  Retrieve flight plan from Avidyne works fine.  Send flight plan to Avidyne does not work.  What am I missing?
dkit
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by dkit dkit wrote:

Same complaint.  10.2.0.0  Latest version FlyQ.  Retrieve flight plan from Avidyne works fine.  Send flight plan to Avidyne does not work.  What am I missing?

Did you ask FlyQ? Is the feature supposed to be there in your platform now? The API exists with 10.2, but the software developer has to implement it. 

Same issue with FltPlan for android, not available yet, but it is out on iOS.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:38pm
Orest and Dkit,

I spoke to SA about FlyQ - they still have yet to work out the "upload" and v10.2 WiFi streaming of ADSB data to/fr our Avidyne... FP download does work OK.

FltPlan.Go (for iPad), does work perfectly in both directions!  What a relief to be able to upload complex FP's from home to our X40's.  However, FltPlan.Go's use of the 10.2 WiFi stream for ADSB Wx/traffic is very limited. Surprisingly, it does allow simultaneous link of Avidyne WiFi and Stratus box Wifi, but ADSB box info didn't display Wx or Traffic... 

Happy days - Thank you Avidyne - Hopefully now with the new & improved IFD100 with Traffic issues plus no App crash with FMS-Routes, I will go to hangar today to test ability to upload FP's too.  If this works, we hfinally have reached Nirvana!  Just need Avidyne to contract with SA for our 540 approach charts.

Tom W.  
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

FltPlan.Go (for iPad), does work perfectly in both directions!  <snip>  However, FltPlan.Go's use of the 10.2 WiFi stream for ADSB Wx/traffic is very limited. Surprisingly, it does allow simultaneous link of Avidyne WiFi and Stratus box Wifi, but ADSB box info didn't display Wx or Traffic... 
I don't follow.  What do you mean by "simultaneous link of Avidyne wifi and Stratux box wifi"?  

Your iPad can only be connected to either the Avidyne wifi OR the Stratux wifi.  Are you absolutely certain you weren't only connected to the Avidyne?  That would explain why you weren't getting Wx or Traffic from Stratux.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Your iPad can only be connected to either the Avidyne wifi OR the Stratux wifi.  Are you absolutely certain you weren't only connected to the Avidyne?  That would explain why you weren't getting Wx or Traffic from Stratux.

No, actually with 10.2 the IFD can be put into a remote mode, so that it will connect to another hot-spot instead of creating one. 

So you can have one local network, where the Stratux is providing the hot spot, and the IFD and your tablet are both connected to it. All three devices could communicate simultaneously.

You set that up on the maintenance pages, simple to do.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Apr 2017 at 3:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

No, actually with 10.2 the IFD can be put into a remote mode, so that it will connect to another hot-spot instead of creating one. 

So you can have one local network, where the Stratux is providing the hot spot, and the IFD and your tablet are both connected to it. All three devices could communicate simultaneously.

You set that up on the maintenance pages, simple to do.

* Orest

I know that is possible, but it was not clear to me that was how n7ifr had it configured.  He didn't say "both the iPad and the Avidyne were connected to the Stratux", he said "the iPad was connected to both the Avidyne and the Stratux".

If he thought he was in the former config, but actually only had the iPad connected to the Avidyne wifi, it could explain the behavior he saw.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Apr 2017 at 3:53pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 3:55pm
Well, I didn't know how to set this up, but it worked automatically.  
.  First "connected" with FltPlan.go to Avidyne directly (didn't specify the 540 WiFi name... just Connected via  FltPln.go).
. Then noticed couldn't stream ADSB on the Avidyne channel, so used drop down ADSB on FltPln.go tab

Worked, except still no Metars or Traffic displayed.

Good News on updated IFD100 - Nirvana, almost.
. All traffic is displayed, even with Speed vectors.
. No App crash using FMS-Route page
. Pre-existing User Wpts now synch across platforms.

So, no need to upload FP's from other Apps with IFD working.  With ADSB streaming, no need for my Stratus Box or "FF".  

Only "inconvenience" I noticed is inability within IFD100 to control iPad Time-Offset, so stuck using UTC Times - should be a simple Avidyne fix.

Question on Jepp Chart Display on IFD100 - Looks like if our Jepp Subscription isn't current with Database, No Display... is that expected?

Tom W.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:05pm

... I know that is possible, but it was not clear to me that was how n7ifr had it configured. 

Ah, understood.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Apr 2017 at 4:06pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:40pm
So...is it possible to be connected to both the FF Stratus and the IFD at the same time (I assume Stratus is something different??).  As of now I go to my WiFi setting and switch back and forth between the IFD and the Stratus depending on which one I want to use at the moment.  If it's possible, please describe how to set it up in configuration.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:49pm

Sounds to me like it didn't actually work automatically.

I think you're only connected to the Avidyne wifi, and there's no connectivity between your iPad and the Stratux.

I don't have 10.2, and I don't have an iPad, so I can't tell you exactly how to do this, but I think you need to take action to make the Avidyne connect to the Stratux network, and also make your iPad connect to the Stratux network as well.  When all three devices (Avidyne, Stratux, and iPad) are talking on the same wifi network (hosted by the Stratux), you should be able to get the METARs and traffic you're missing.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Apr 2017 at 4:50pm
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:58pm
Allegedly you cannot get the IFD100 to work with an IFD540 using a stratus network because of some limitations of their networking protocol ?

I haven't tried it, but that's what people over at beechtalk are saying.

So if you want to use the IFD100 app with the IFD540 and Foreflight with Stratus, you need to keep switching networks.
Seems like a lot of hassle.

Tim
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:25pm

Sounds to me like it didn't actually work automatically.

I think you're only connected to the Avidyne wifi, and there's no connectivity between your iPad and the Stratux.

I don't have 10.2, and I don't have an iPad, so I can't tell you exactly how to do this, but I think you need to take action to make the Avidyne connect to the Stratux network, and also make your iPad connect to the Stratux network as well.  When all three devices (Avidyne, Stratux, and iPad) are talking on the same wifi network (hosted by the Stratux), you should be able to get the METARs and traffic you're missing.

I was using FltPlan.go "connected" with my #1 IFD540 WiFi.  Then, within iPad FltPlan.go, tapped the ADSB Tab which immediately recognized my Stratus-l box WiFi (without requiring switching the iPad WiFi-Avidyne WiFi still connected in iPad settings).  Then within FltPlan.go, all ADSB Wx product Colored icons were "on", but alas, never were displayed within FltPlan.go App.

For those with the Avidyne ADSB box (Skytrax100 - aka MLB100), at least now with IFD100 all ADSB Wx & Trfc is on the IFD100 now - not convinced though that TFR's are streamed in v10.2 WiFi.

Tom W.
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:57pm
My MLB100 and IFD540 now share Traffic and Wx with IFD100 after latest IFD100 app upgrade.

I did not check the TFR but will next time I am at hangar
Ed
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:15am
Tom/n7ifr,

If you go to your wifi settings, you'll see the iPad connected to the in-panel IFDx40 wifi network (access point), but the Stratus wifi network will appear in the list underneath along with any other wifi networks in the vicinity. However, you will only be able to communicate with the connected wifi network so you won't have any iPad communication with the Stratus until you make it the "connected" wifi network, at which time you'll lose communication over the IFDx40 wifi network access point.

Based on previous forum comments and info from Avidyne, the way to make this work is to set up the in-panel IFD to be a "client" on the Stratus wifi network (access point) rather than being the wifi access point itself. If you then also connect the iPad to the Stratus wifi network the in-panel IFD will communicate with the iPad IFD100 across the Stratus wifi access point.

Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Tom/n7ifr,

If you go to your wifi settings, you'll see the iPad connected to the in-panel IFDx40 wifi network (access point), but the Stratus wifi network will appear in the list underneath along with any other wifi networks in the vicinity. However, you will only be able to communicate with the connected wifi network so you won't have any iPad communication with the Stratus until you make it the "connected" wifi network, at which time you'll lose communication over the IFDx40 wifi network access point.

Based on previous forum comments and info from Avidyne, the way to make this work is to set up the in-panel IFD to be a "client" on the Stratus wifi network (access point) rather than being the wifi access point itself. If you then also connect the iPad to the Stratus wifi network the in-panel IFD will communicate with the iPad IFD100 across the Stratus wifi access point.

Vince,
Thanks for your input.  I was about to start experimenting with this, but after speaking at length with Seattle Avionics - FlyQ - I realized that they now interface with our Avidynestream.

I may not even need to use the Stratus-l network at all (will sell on e-bay).  FlyQ allows streaming of the IFD540 ADSB link, so both IFD100 and FlyQ can feed off the same stream - Life is Good.

Tom W.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 3:04am

We have a bid to do the Android work that is being re-worked by the bidder.  If that comes back attractive, we'll pull the trigger.   I met with him at Oshkosh and we're both optimistic.   We'll see.

AviSimpson,

Whatever happened here? Hax a contract been signed and work started?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Here are my definitions:

Backup file definitions:

CHECKLISTS generates a file BKyymmdd.xx0
CONFIG        generates a file BKyymmdd.xx1
WAYPOINTS  generates a file BKyymmdd.xx2
ROUTES        generates a file BKyymmdd.xx3
SETTINGS     generates a file BKyymmdd.xx4

Digits "xx" start at zero (00) and will increment (01) if/when
 more than one of that file type is saved in the same zulu day.

Confirmed.  The file type value is the order that they appear on the IFD display.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

We have a bid to do the Android work that is being re-worked by the bidder.  If that comes back attractive, we'll pull the trigger.   I met with him at Oshkosh and we're both optimistic.   We'll see.

AviSimpson,

Whatever happened here? Hax a contract been signed and work started?
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:49am
+1
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:01am
It seems Jepp has now partnered with FF and from what I have read if you have a Jepp subscription with approach charts, you will be able to install them in FF for no additional charge.  It's strange that Jepp is requiring an additional $350 for a "bundle plus" for us to be able to install the charts on the IFD 100
moakley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moakley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:38am

Just a NOTE to all 540 owners, getting the 10.2.0.0 update.....

1. The update is free, but my avionics shop does charge for their time to update it, WHICH IS LENGTHY. They said 2 hours.  (As an avionics tech myself, from the KX days,  I opted to help.  Most of it is sitting there and waiting for stuff to finish uploading. I was a bit surprised to see a bunch of FPGAs getting re-programmed.  This is actually electronic re-wiring of the unit.)

2.  After three (3) attempts to load the complete 10.2.0.0 update, they called Avidyne.  My unit was one of the first 540s and Avidyne said they would "exchange" the unit. This was 4/21,  two weeks ago today.

3.  I called my dealer today, they said they called Avidyne, to find out where the exchange unit was,  Avidyne said they were still waiting for my unit.

So.....

If you find yourself in this situation,  make damn sure your avionics dealer and Avidyne are on the same "wavelength". 

I only have a Twin Comanche but I still figure it costs about $55 per day, JUST to keep it flight ready.  That is about $770 worth of downtime as of today. 

And speaking of rotating out equipment for exchange......

I have a friend who got exchanges on an Aspen and a Digi Flow last month.  BOTH units had to be exchanged a second time!  They are sent in for a reason, but QC'd by the mfg (with nothing repaired) only to fail *again*, in *your* plane.  All of these very advanced electronics are a pilots dream..... as long as they run.....

Myron Oakley
Blue Sky Aviators, LLC
Turbo Twin Comanche N8689Y
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:57am
I was nervous about this, but the last Q&A at https://foreflight.com/support/jeppesen-support/ confirms that you can just use your existing Avidyne Jepp subscription to get Jepp charts in Foreflight.
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:02am
Gang-
I did my 540 last week, and it takes a good deal of time.  My shop pulled the unit to do it on the bench.  A few notes to make sure you minimize the time spent.

1) I would plan on about 4 hrs, and more if things don't go quite as planned.

2) The upgrade will wipe out the last Nav data base, so it has to be reinstalled after the upgrade.

3) This is important, prior to 10.2, to upgrade the Nav database, you didn't have to check the update on the screen, the IFD "saw" the data base on the thumb drive and sucked it in.  NOW, you have to check the data base on the screen that you want to upload, or it doesn't get uploaded, and the thumb drive thinks it as been uploaded, so it is another call to Jepps to reset the download to the thumb drive!  Did that twice before figuring it out.

4) Used the IFD 100 on a extended cross country, it is very nice indeed.  

5) ADSB is great, BUT it's doesn't show everything so keep the eyes out the windows!

All in all, I'm  an very pleased with my Avidyne suite  IFD 540, APX340, and MLB 100.  Finally, I would like to thank the support staff, they have done a great job over the past few years when I needed help, Christine you know who I mean!

Tom G
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by TomG TomG wrote:

Gang-
... NOW, you have to check the data base on the screen that you want to upload, or it doesn't get uploaded, and the thumb drive thinks it as been uploaded, so it is another call to Jepps to reset the download to the thumb drive!  Did that twice before figuring it out.

They changed the default to OFF for the update, so you didn't update by mistake.   

But, I don't see what you're seeing, just booting into the database update page for me, doesn't mark the files on the USB key as "used".

My routine is to load any updates in JDM onto my USB key, as soon as they appear. Then, when I see an update notice on the IFD screen, I pull the key out of flightbag, and just update the ones that are out of date. That means that some new databases are left on the USB key, and perhaps not used, until the next time I do an IFD update. They remain usable for me.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 May 2017 at 12:33pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:44pm
FINALLY!!  

Installed 10.2 today with my A&P.  It took 80 minutes from power up to completion.  Then we updated all the config data that got reset.  We did have to cycle power once (the instructions say some IFDs will need to do this).

Now it's time to play...
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:49pm
For those in Europe, it seems that the Avidyne statement about support for IFD540 Europe VFR charts in 10.2 is wrong. At least Jepp is refusing to quote me such a subscription with the statement that they are not supported on 10.2. 

Edited by chflyer - 08 May 2017 at 2:50pm
Vince
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

For those in Europe, it seems that the Avidyne statement about support for IFD540 support for Europe VFR charts in 10.2 is wrong. At least Jepp is refusing to quote me such a subscription with the statement that they are not supported on 10.2. 

I received your email and have passed it along to my Jeppesen contact to get it straightened out for you. Sorry that it hasn't been as smooth as we would have liked.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:57pm
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:03pm
I did the 10.1 update with my A&P with no sweat. Could those who have done the 10.2 update comment on the relative ease compared with going to 10.1? I don't recall having to mess with any config screens when I did the 10.1 update...

Thanks,

Rolfe

flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:31pm
Here is something to consider.  I did the 10.1 update myself no problem.  10.2 is more involved and there is a risk of bricking the unit.  My dealer warned me that he has bricked units, but that Avidyne replaced those units.  He didn't want me bricking my unit and paying $1,200 - whereas if he bricked it (after doing multiple upgrades) Avidyne would likely replace it at no charge.  I gladly paid him to do it.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:50pm
Even when following the procedure correctly, the unit may still brick. It is a very long delay (weeks) to get it back from Avidyne. Plan accordingly.
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:19pm
That is what I meant.  You could do it correctly and brick it, but you will probably be charged.  If an experienced dealer does it, Avidyne will probably assume it was done correctly but still bricked.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

I did the 10.1 update with my A&P with no sweat. Could those who have done the 10.2 update comment on the relative ease compared with going to 10.1? I don't recall having to mess with any config screens when I did the 10.1 update...
The steps for the 10.2 upgrade are quite simple - it's not like trying to follow the steps for changing a cylinder if you've never done it before.  On the other hand, it's not like a well-designed gizmo whose manual you don't have to bother to read.  For the 10.2 upgrade, you definitely must read the SB "manual."

The explanation for how to perform the steps are detailed and easily understood.  After reading through the instructions and becoming familiar with what is to be done, doing each step one at a time, with care, the risk of bricking the unit will be as low as your ability to follow instructions can make it.  The substantial cost and inconvenience that results from doing the upgrade in haste, or guessing what the next step is asking you to do, should be sufficent incentive to keep you from choosing that quicker method.
jonesronc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:43pm
I did the 10.2 upgrade 15 May 2017, it took about 1.5 hours with no problems except two of the LIO checksums at the end of the process didn't come up.  I called Ms. Chris Evans, who is apparently the upgrade guru, who had me reboot, and they came up fine.  I called Tech Support prior to the upgrade, who recommended doing the upgrade during customer service, and "for Heaven's sakes, if there's a problem, don't turn the power off".
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:07pm
I couldn't seem to get the Avionics shop to do the update.  I'm not sure why, but maybe it was just a scheduling issue.   So I asked my A&P, and he agreed to do it.  Because he's not a dealer, he had to contact Christine Evans at Avidyne (she is in tech support and is an A&P herself.) to arrange to download the SB and to get a download link for the upgrade software itself.

My A&P put one of his guys with me, and from start to finish it took about 3 hours total.  This included calling Christine, leaving a message, waiting for a call back (which she did promptly), discussing the procedure and potential pitfalls, then waiting for the download from the drop box link that Christine e-mailed the tech - which took quite some time, doing the actual update itself, and finally entering in the configuration items that were reset during the process.  I had taken photos of all of the configuration settings a few days prior, so we didn't have to bother with that.

The actual update took right at 80 minutes from the time we inserted the memory stick until we were able to remove it.

I sat in the plane and babysat the update.  There was one point where I had to confirm that I had backed up the configuration data, and there was one point at which I had to power down the unit and power back up.   

When all was said and done, I took a test flight to confirm everything still worked (Fuel flow integration, DME channeling, ADS-B position, etc.).  I reported that back to my A&P and he filled out the form and e-mailed it to Avidyne, and made the logbook entry.

We took it slow and easy and it was indeed very easy but slow!
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:06pm
Thanks to everyone who responded -- gives me something to consider. I was comfortable following the detailed instructions for 10.1 and it sounds similar, if a little more so. I will check my avionics shop schedule -- usually they are swamped -- and go from there. 

Rolfe

ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I couldn't seem to get the Avionics shop to do the update.  I'm not sure why, but maybe it was just a scheduling issue.   So I asked my A&P, and he agreed to do it.  Because he's not a dealer, he had to contact Christine Evans at Avidyne (she is in tech support and is an A&P herself.) to arrange to download the SB and to get a download link for the upgrade software itself.

My A&P put one of his guys with me, and from start to finish it took about 3 hours total.  This included calling Christine, leaving a message, waiting for a call back (which she did promptly), discussing the procedure and potential pitfalls, then waiting for the download from the drop box link that Christine e-mailed the tech - which took quite some time, doing the actual update itself, and finally entering in the configuration items that were reset during the process.  I had taken photos of all of the configuration settings a few days prior, so we didn't have to bother with that.

The actual update took right at 80 minutes from the time we inserted the memory stick until we were able to remove it.

I sat in the plane and babysat the update.  There was one point where I had to confirm that I had backed up the configuration data, and there was one point at which I had to power down the unit and power back up.   

When all was said and done, I took a test flight to confirm everything still worked (Fuel flow integration, DME channeling, ADS-B position, etc.).  I reported that back to my A&P and he filled out the form and e-mailed it to Avidyne, and made the logbook entry.

We took it slow and easy and it was indeed very easy but slow!

I did this exact procedure, including help from Christine. My A&P stood by for support, but really, all you have to do once the download and install starts is push a few buttons. It went just as smoothly and without a hitch as described. I would recommend DIY to anyone. 

Larry
kansasdoc
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:01pm
This week, my avionics shop (Aerial Avionics at RHV) canceled the planned update of my IFD-540 to 10.2. Reportedly the last two units they updated both had to be returned to Avidyne for repair or replacement. The shop says they're not willing to perform new updates until the cause of this is identified and resolved.

Is this what is meant by "bricking"? If so, it seems like a serious issue for those of us seeking to update our units...

Thanks! 
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:37pm
Hi GMSutton,

I was one of those units. This is what they mean by bricking. Right now, only the factory can fix the issue. Aerial Avionics believes Avidyne will come up with a field repair at some point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic