Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pchetham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pchetham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 10:27pm
Thanks.
PMC
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:05pm
No one wants 10.2 more than Avidyne.  They have no reason in the world to be purposely delaying the release.  No amount of complaining or questioning here will speed up the process.   I love the 540 I have now and when 10.2 comes,  it comes.  In the meantime, I tell everyone I can about how great the 540 is because 1) I truly believe it and 2) when Avidyne succeeds, we all benefit.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:08pm
+1

My 10.1.0.2 setup works very well... I'm very happy with it... I would rather have a bug free release later than a bug-ridden release sooner... esp for avionics...  my 440's are not my iPhones... ;-) 

George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 11:38pm
You are correct, but Avidyne has been uncommonly clumsy with the roll out of 10.2.  They are the ones who announced its almost immediate availability in April 2016.  It is their web site that still says it was approved by FAA in January 2017.  These are unforced errors and do not give either owners or potential purchasers confidence that Avidyne has their s#it together.  In fact, it reminds me of the personal computer business of the 1980s, where vaporware was the rule of the day.
NotarPilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotarPilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Gary L Gary L wrote:

I bought my 440 in Sept with assurances 10.2 would be out at month end or October at the latest. I lost my ADS-B out in the bargain (have a Garmin 330ES). Ok fine I'll cope for a month.
Well, the slope of my aviation frustration curve is climbing ever more steeply and the slope of my aviation participation curve is diving. They are soon to intersect. Wanna buy a Cardinal RG?

What are you asking for it?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Gary L Gary L wrote:

Understand, but I was connected to a GNS430W with it until last September and that was ADS-B compliant.

It looks like we are in the final turn, we just don't know the course length!

Regardless, doubt that you'd really want your 430W back in the plane, all things considered. ;)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Thinwing Thinwing wrote:

1976...huh..me too ,but if you are through you are through...regardless your tspd is currently defaulted to mode s...same as mine awaiting Garmin adsB+ protocol contained in 10.2 ...atc doesn't at this time know or care the difference..

From the March 2017 AOPA Magazine

genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

Originally posted by Thinwing Thinwing wrote:

1976...huh..me too ,but if you are through you are through...regardless your tspd is currently defaulted to mode s...same as mine awaiting Garmin adsB+ protocol contained in 10.2 ...atc doesn't at this time know or care the difference..

From the March 2017 AOPA Magazine

sorry, this time I hope the screenshot comes through

Thinwing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thinwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
Enforcement in 2020 still lots of time
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 11:26am
I have a concern about the 10.2 delay and my warranty.

I believe it has been posted in this thread that the 10.2 install costs will be covered while under warranty and with the original owner.

I was an early supporter of the 540 and had a May 2015 install/purchase date.  

Obviously the end of my 2 year warranty is within sight, but the release date of the 10.2 is nowhere within sight.  I have (to my regret) actually delayed/avoided a few minor avionics squawks thinking that the squawks could be addressed at the same time as the 10.2 update while the aircraft was at the avionics shop.  Like many, my patience is running thin  (no finger pointing here for Avidyne/FAA: facts are facts). 

What are other early install customers thinking about this timeline?
Let's not go into the discussion about the additional 2 year warranty with contract signing.
Bonanza F33a
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:34pm
I don't think that installing the new software, even if you had to pay for it, would burn a hole in your pocket. It's not the financial consequences that weigh much on Avidyne clients, it's this inability to get this thing through with the FAA that is bothering. An almost 1 year delay has nothing to do with the FAA being inefficient, it is clear that when Avidyne made the announcement about a year ago the software was not ready. I don't buy any conspiracy theory. I am sure that Avidyne is at least as eager as us to get the product out asap, but if it hasn't happened yet, most of the delay is to blame on them.
Having said that, I am looking forward to the new software and I like the boxes more than I liked my Gs.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:21pm
Previous software revisions have been easy for pilot to do and AI to sign off.

Doesn't seem to be a good business model for Avi to pay for updates on a continuing basis.

Delays? Beaten to death.

As one evaluates 10.2 timeline, I think Avi expected to have it closed out and done before they were actually able to do so. To blame FAA assumes that FAA has had the submission for some time, which I don't believe is the case.

So I think it all comes down to Avi resources, which is a chronic issue.

Did Jake leave avi? I hope not.

Edited by ddgates - 28 Feb 2017 at 3:23pm
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by tomd tomd wrote:

I have a concern about the 10.2 delay and my warranty.

I believe it has been posted in this thread that the 10.2 install costs will be covered while under warranty and with the original owner.

I was an early supporter of the 540 and had a May 2015 install/purchase date.  

Obviously the end of my 2 year warranty is within sight, but the release date of the 10.2 is nowhere within sight.  I have (to my regret) actually delayed/avoided a few minor avionics squawks thinking that the squawks could be addressed at the same time as the 10.2 update while the aircraft was at the avionics shop.  Like many, my patience is running thin  (no finger pointing here for Avidyne/FAA: facts are facts). 

What are other early install customers thinking about this timeline?
Let's not go into the discussion about the additional 2 year warranty with contract signing.

I would think at most your shop might charge you two hours, maybe $200, to update 10.2 when it's ready. Pretty insignificant when you consider the features. We all want it yesterday, but it will be worth it when it comes.

Edited by LANCE - 08 Mar 2017 at 6:08am
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:05pm
AviJake is still here, he is working on projects and what not.

We want 10.2 to be released as bad as you all do, it's been a long journey with roadblocks, speed bumps and misc items as you know and may not know.

Some positive news is on the horizon but out of fear of jinxing it, I won't say anything further. What I can say is that we are at a stage that hinges upon one answer and indications point to an answer we were looking for.

Release 10.2 is a free update from us. The labor for the update is not covered by the warranty, however, we have rolled in new features on the back end that should reduce the time and effort it takes to complete the update.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:17pm
Thanks for the optimism. Here's to a positive answer. 👍
Bonanza F33a
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:07pm
It may be the IFD 550 that is having the issues rather than the 10.2 update itself. 
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:13am
I just want my tee shirt this year!!! See you at OSH. :-)
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:39am
Can we just do it ourselves? It will be downloadable to the Avidyne FOB, correct?
Sauce
mmozur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmozur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 10:43am

Sure would be awesome if the release happens in the next few weeks...  my plane is going into the shop in a week or so to do some upgrades.  Adding an IFD 440 to go along with the existing IFD 540 :)

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:34am
Once it happens, they should tell us it happened.

I predict that in the future Avidyne will be less prone to discussing anything not-yet-certified.

David

ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:01am
I think we're very, very close to release. New 10.2 features update just posted on the Avidyne website:

<https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/helpcenter/articles/ifd-software-10-2-0-features>
Ron L
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:36am
Very cool. Could someone suggest how #13 (designated waypoint info) might be useful? It seems to be a favorite of Jake but I'm having trouble seeing where it would be used. When might you want nav info to a single saved waypoint not in your flight plan?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:58am
It looks like the IFD100 got bumped?

EDIT: Still there. I just missed it.

Hope release comes soon.

Edited by ddgates - 05 Mar 2017 at 12:08pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

I think we're very, very close to release. New 10.2 features update just posted on the Avidyne website...

Boy, we are real sleuths!  ;)

* Orest

ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 10:26pm

Boy, we are real sleuths!  ;)

* Orest

That we is, ain't we. LOL!
Ron L
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Very cool. Could someone suggest how #13 (designated waypoint info) might be useful? It seems to be a favorite of Jake but I'm having trouble seeing where it would be used. When might you want nav info to a single saved waypoint not in your flight plan?

Hi teeth6-

I like this feature. I have been asked in the past for my distance and bearing to a point not in my flight plan. I cannot recall the exact circumstances, but several times I have found it useful to load a waypoint into the #2 GPS, and this would allow me to accomplish the same thing using the 540.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 10:02am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

For general situational awareness.  For example; in my local area (Y19), when in the practice area which starts a few miles southwest of the field and extends out some distance, it is useful to know your distance and bearing from the field when both giving and receiving position reports.

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:09am
In December I predicted approval on Valentine's day, looks like I was about 3 weeks off. Wish Avidyne was giving away a new 550 for "closest guess", however, I would be happy with the tee shirt they owe me...
GDC25
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:16am
You may be reading too much into this. In December Avidyne posted a document online that 10.2.0.0 "WAS" released in January 2017!!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:20am
What may be a clue is that last week Seattle Avionics released a version of their FlyQ app which requires 10.2 for Avidyne functionality.
David Gates
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:26am
Jepp updated its JDM software to accommodate 10.2.0.0 a couple of months ago, we though the release was imminent then.  Hopefully it will be released soon so they can start working no the EX5000 software updated to be able to display ADS-B traffic and weather from the Avidyne Skytrax.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 1:58pm
The FAA has just granted STC/TSO approval for Release 10.2. This applies to the IFD440, 410, 550, 545, 540, 510.

Avidyne Sales and Marketing will have info on how to get it in your airplane shortly (most are deployed to various trade shows right now).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:00pm
Congrats!
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:01pm
Wow, congratulations!!!
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:31pm
Is today April 1st?

HaHa just kidding.

Congratulations to Avidyne!
Bonanza F33a
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

The FAA has just granted STC/TSO approval for Release 10.2. This applies to the IFD440, 410, 550, 545, 540, 510.

Avidyne Sales and Marketing will have info on how to get it in your airplane shortly (most are deployed to various trade shows right now).

Are you sure he isn't down in Texas just for the sunshine?  It's been awfully cold here in the Northeast lately.  Compelling reason by itself.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 3:26pm
Great News
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:47pm
More good news, the iPad IFD simulator has been updated for Release 10.2, and all the manuals containing 10.2 are online now on the Avidyne website.

Thank you Jake and Simpson.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 6:15pm
Terrific -  Thank you Jake, and congratulations to all.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 6:47pm
iPad Sim up and working (:>).  Been searching for the PC Sim but all I can find is 10.1.  Any help?

Jim Patton
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:00pm
orbiting at a waypoint!!!  OH... 10.2 is Cooool... Love the IFD simulator... works great!

glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

You may be reading too much into this. In December Avidyne posted a document online that 10.2.0.0 "WAS" released in January 2017!!!!

Thinking about buying a lottery ticket on the way home tonight, want me to pick you one up as well?
GDC25
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:57pm
If I'm running an earlier version of the simulator, how do I update to the new 10.2 ?
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

If you are signed up to receive our eBulletins, http://www.avidyne.com/contact/insider.html, you will be notified by email when 10.2 is approved. We will also let our dealers know as well.

If you have signoff authority for something like this for your aircraft then you can do it. We highly recommend that an Avidyne approved dealer does the upgrade. It is a free update and there is a provision to cover labor under warranty for the time it takes to do the update. 

I just want to confirm that what AviSimpson stated here is true before I head over to the local deal to get the upgrade installed.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:15pm
Search IFD Trainer in the App Store.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:25pm
From the above, my take is:

v10.2 is now "approved", but not yet released for consumption.  Hopefully available soon for our shops to install... 

The new Avidyne iPad simulator is very cool though.

Tom W.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

From the above, my take is:

v10.2 is now "approved", but not yet released for consumption.  Hopefully available soon for our shops to install... 

The new Avidyne iPad simulator is very cool though.

Tom W.

It's already available for Dealer download on their site.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

If you are signed up to receive our eBulletins, http://www.avidyne.com/contact/insider.html, you will be notified by email when 10.2 is approved. We will also let our dealers know as well.

If you have signoff authority for something like this for your aircraft then you can do it. We highly recommend that an Avidyne approved dealer does the upgrade. It is a free update and there is a provision to cover labor under warranty for the time it takes to do the update. 

I just want to confirm that what AviSimpson stated here is true before I head over to the local deal to get the upgrade installed.

Not correct, there is no provision for covering the labor. I was incorrect. We did make some improvement on the update itself so the update should take less time than others in the past.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 9:36pm
Not correct, there is no provision for covering the labor. I was incorrect. We did make some improvement on the update itself so the update should take less time than others in the past.

Appreciate the clarification,  although I just today insisted to my Avidyne Dealer (in PRC, Az) based on previous Avidyne statements, that the "free update" install would be covered by Avidyne...

Tom W. 
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:35am
Hell of a deal in any case.  BH
BH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
  Share Topic