Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

If you are signed up to receive our eBulletins, http://www.avidyne.com/contact/insider.html, you will be notified by email when 10.2 is approved. We will also let our dealers know as well.

If you have signoff authority for something like this for your aircraft then you can do it. We highly recommend that an Avidyne approved dealer does the upgrade. It is a free update and there is a provision to cover labor under warranty for the time it takes to do the update. 

I just want to confirm that what AviSimpson stated here is true before I head over to the local deal to get the upgrade installed.

Not correct, there is no provision for covering the labor. I was incorrect. We did make some improvement on the update itself so the update should take less time than others in the past.

Thanks for clarifying that AviSimpson.

So given that, and that I have an RV (Experimental) on which I have signoff authority, how do I go about getting the upgrade so that I can do this myself?

Gene

jrouault View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrouault Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
I am in the same situation and have the same question
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:55am
For those operating as experimental, contact our tech support directly and they will set you up with 10.2.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

This is simply one example that describes IFD behavior.  What if the Missed Approach hold was in a different direction than the PT where you may need different altitudes for the protected airspace due to terrain, towers, etc?  When you fly the VOR RWY 9 into RAL then the VOR into AJO, it completely deletes the Missed Approach hold.  It maintains the HILPT for the next approach, but this time it is 1500 feet lower than it is supposed to be, and the hold is on a different heading (although not by much) meaning the protected airspace is not the same.

I don't think it would be too difficult to figure out something to do with duplicate waypoints - what do other systems do?  If nothing else, have a gap and require manual sequence.  I still stand by my statement I made in June of last year on this topic.  "I think it would be appropriate to have all of the approaches fully populated and stand alone.  Sure, this may show redundant points, but you are actually using redundant points as part of your flight plan, so it would be intuitive.  Meaning, the missed should have stayed the way it was and not included the IAF of the next approach in the missed.  The VOR approach should have included TTE as the IAF in the procedure.  This would eliminate the issue I was having and I believe would be more intuitive.  All I would have had to do was hit direct to the IAF (which is what I was trying to do)."  My quote was based on a different example regarding the VOR approach, but the context is similar.

Regardless, what it is doing is unsafe.  See my link for another reason I think this should be an AD.  If you miss the window to exit the hold, you cannot go direct to the IAF to get back on track because the IFD moved the IAF to the missed of the previous approach.  You end up very confused and it is not intuitive that you have to back up in the flight plan and delete a previous approach to a previous airport to resolve your current issue.

Congrats to getting 10.2 out, I'm very much looking forward to it, but I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed the issue above hasn't been corrected in 10.2.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a safety of flight issue that has been raised and not addressed.

Edited by brou0040 - 09 Mar 2017 at 10:36pm
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:34pm
10.2 & MLB100 4.1.0 installed today.  On the way home I flew through Medano Pass in the Colorado Rockies at just aver 9,500' with 13,300' peaks less than 3 miles away on either side.  SVS IS COOL!!!!! Next step is to learn/understand all the new profile options and decide how I want things arranged.  Happy!!!
Jim Patton
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

10.2 & MLB100 4.1.0 installed today.  On the way home I flew through Medano Pass in the Colorado Rockies at just aver 9,500' with 13,300' peaks less than 3 miles away on either side.  SVS IS COOL!!!!! Next step is to learn/understand all the new profile options and decide how I want things arranged.  Happy!!!

What improvements are there with 4.1.0 on the MLB100?
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:59am
MLB100 UAT 4.1.0 changes (from 4.0.9) according to service bulletin 601-00000-002:

• Added ADS-B Out + protocol as GPS source for MLB100. IFD 440/540 Software Release 10.2 supports the ADS-B Out+ protocol.

• Relative target altitude for ARINC 735 Traffic Protocol is now computed using target’s primary altitude relative to ownship’s altitude of same type (pressure or geometric).

• Resolved occasional data fail reported on IFD 440/540 when duplicate index was added to ARINC 735 Traffic Protocol intruder file.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:11pm
Er...  So what does the "ADS-B Out +" protocol do for us?  (MLB100 doesn't do ADSB-Out....?)

Will previous MLB100 software versions still work with IFD v10.2?
MarcosMarchese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcosMarchese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm
I am Mac user of JDM software version 3.1.2.

My IFD540 is currently SW 10.1.3.

I noticed in previous posts that this JDM version is incompatible with 10.2 NAVDATA.

There is no new release of JDM for Mac at this moment. AviSimpson mentioned Jeppesen is going to share a Beta version of JDM. I didn't find anything yet in Jeppesen's website.

Can I upgrade to 10.2 ?

Or should I look for a Windows Version of JDM ?

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:49pm
Just looked it up, the ARINC 735 Traffic Protocol is for TCAS.  The ADS-B Out protocol is for the NavWorx units with built in GPS, as the Avidyne MLB/Skytrax 100 does not have the option for built in GPS and ADS-B out
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
Just talked to twin lakes aviation. They said with paperwork and download it will cost me 4 hours labor to use a usb card. This sure is anticlimactic after waiting a year and finding that lots of the advertised items,( gdl88,fore flight ) are not listed now. How about the 16 watt transmit. Charges for that too??i k ow it was tough but hope this not a nickel and dime thing.
Khuffine
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by khuffine khuffine wrote:

Just talked to twin lakes aviation. They said with paperwork and download it will cost me 4 hours labor to use a usb card. 

That's absolutely absurd - you need to find a new avionics shop to give your business to!

I upgraded mine today and it took a total of 1:20, from the time I turned it on and pressed Proceed, until it was complete.  And for the first 1:19 it did its thing all by itself without Any intervention by me at all. Then at 1:19 it had me cycle the power, and at 1:20 I was running 10.2.

Evidently they need 2:40 to make a log book entry  :-/
And even then they're charging for an hour of time they will be off working on someone Else's plane and charging them for the same hour too.

TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by genelee59 genelee59 wrote:

Evidently they need 2:40 to make a log book entry  :-/

Something to consider is that if you have more then one unit they shouldn't be done simultaneously. So that's 2:40 of the 4 hours... plus checksum and settings verification and as they say, paperwork. I mean no disrespect but the shop does deserve to be paid for their time. If you know them well and have done business with them before perhaps ask the shop manager to split the difference? Especially since the tech doing the work will likely be able to multitask while each unit does its thing.  

The alternative is DIY. I suspect if you call Avidyne they would likely provide the software to you so that you and your A&P could do the work thus saving the trip and the 4 hours (not sure what your local A&P charges). From reading here my interpretation is that's an approved method. While there are gotchas to the install, Avidyne has been very helpful historically and would likely walk you through it if that's the path you choose. I'm sure their goal is for all owners to have the software but just want to make sure it's done correctly. As many have reported if done correctly it's about as simple as next-next-finish.

Edited by TomH - 11 Mar 2017 at 12:25am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 7:42am
There is no question that 4 hours is appropriate for a shop to charge. Breaks down as follows.

1) Preparing the USB - .25
2) Saving user settings and configuration - .5
3) Actual update - 1.5
4) Verification - .25
5) Manually configuring the unit and setting user preferences - .5 - 1.0
6) Completing the upgrade paperwork and log book entry - .25

Don't forget the time it takes to bring the airplane into the hangar, connect to ground power, and back out again.

I have two IFD540s, and while previously I would update them simultaneously, I followed the directions exactly and did one at a time, so that increased the length of time as well.

Edited by Gring - 11 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:53am
I might really be in deep. I'm still running 10.0.3 something like that. I postponed the update 10.1 because 10.2 was just announced, and I thought I'd consolidatie the updates. Bad choice I guess.
Bonanza F33a
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 8:56am
Tom:

You might consider doing the update to 10.1.x yourself, getting a quick signoff from your AI, then having your shop do 10.2.

Would save a few pennies.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by tomd tomd wrote:

I might really be in deep. I'm still running 10.0.3 something like that. I postponed the update 10.1 because 10.2 was just announced, and I thought I'd consolidatie the updates. Bad choice I guess.

Yes, I;m pretty sure you can't update directly to 10.2, you would have to update to 10.1 first.

* Orest

genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Yes, I;m pretty sure you can't update directly to 10.2, you would have to update to 10.1 first.

* Orest

This is a quote from the upgrade procedures document
"If the IFD is not currently at SW 10.1.0.0, 10.1.1.0, 10.1.2.0 or 10.1.3.0 do not proceed"
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 3:47pm

I agree - 4 hrs seems reasonable.  Moreover, on a certified bird, there is the question of insurance for liability, etc. that doesn't exist for an owner-maintained experimental.   

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

The latest versions of the JDM software are 3.12 for the MAC, released in September of 2016 and 3.4.147 for PC, released on October 2016.  In the release notes for the PC version it mentions that it has been optimized for 10.2 while the MAC version does not mention 10.2 at all.  I talked to Jeppesen yesterday about that and they said that the PC version does indeed support 10.2 but the MAC version does not.  They said they have no release information on 10.2 and that the MAC version may not support it initially.  Fortunately, I can go either way but I'm sure that there may be some that can't.
The MAC version is in Beta, our understanding is that it will be available when 10.2 is out.

OK Simpson.  10.2 is out.  I'm waiting for a shop appointment to get my SkyTrax100 and the 10.2 update.

All I need now is a JDM for the Mac that will deal with 10.2.  Any word there?  I can't even find their beta that you were talking about.

That would really suck to get all of that installed and then can't update the navdata.

I do run Windows 7 in a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion.  My concern is that if I ran the Windows version, I might screw up my download count and be cut out of using the Mac side when it becomes available.

One more thing.  Is there a cheap IR camera that would connect to the iFD540 under 10.2?  What about legal issues since it would be for informational use only, not trying to reduce the minimums of an approach.  That would be awesome but what I've seen so far runs into the $6K numbers.  I'm not quite that enamored with it yet.  Plenty other toys to buy yet.

As they say, spending my kid's inheritance, one upgrade at a time.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 7:50pm
Interesting JDM dilemma.  Just called Jepp Tech support, but they couldn't really confirm that the JDM for Mac was compatible with Avidyne v10.2 Jepp NavData downloads.  

They said usually takes Apple about 2-weeks to write a "patch" covering a new software change...

So, I downloaded current NavData Jepp cycle for IFD540 v10.2 from Mac JDM on one USB drive, and PC JDM download on another USB, and will bring to plane Monday as I pick up from annual.

Will try Mac version first and report back.

Tom W. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

One more thing.  Is there a cheap IR camera that would connect to the iFD540 under 10.2?

There is a reasonable small aircraft solution for under $10k. Easy to install using an under wing access panel approach, two pair of wires to run. Not too long ago, the cheapest was five times that.

The IR view will reveal a runway, even in the dark or through fog/cloud. One issue is that with the increasing use of LEDs for runway lighting, the old IR cameras would not pick them up due to less heat! Most units have solved this now.

I am considering one.

* Orest

safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:49pm
What is the name of the camera for this solution. 
Dave
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:09am
The cheapest one that I've seen is the Max-Viz X1 by Astronics Corp.  That particular one is $6000.  I think it's a very neat piece of equipment and useful too.  The technology has really come a long way in the last few years and the price has really come down but it is still too pricey for me even though I've gone way-way overboard on the panel of my C172.
Woo Hoo!!!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 8:17am
I note that this is flagged on the web site as for homebuilt/experimental only. Perhaps with the new FAA approach to safety equipment, installation on a certified aircraft such as C172 might be less onerous now (i.e. via logbook entry rather than field approval which is always a pain).

$6k is still a bit rich for my budget too. If it were to come down to the $2k-$2.5k range, I might be interested. Installation cost always seems to be as much as the equipment cost.

Edited by chflyer - 12 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
Max-Viz 600. 640x480, 40* image, dual IR/visible, up to 250knts. STC for a number of aircraft, likely installable with a 337 for others.

http://www.max-viz.com/max-viz-600

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 11:50am
That's a nice unit, although per the link brochure the res is 320x240. My recollection is that the price is about $10k + installation, so still quite expensive for something like a C172. Likely less an issue on a Cirrus budget.
Vince
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:06pm
Simpson, I posted on another topic a question about the ForeFlight functionality but have seen no Avi response.  I asked FF support and they said only upload from FF to Avidyne was supported at this time (and they had no timeline for anything else), but that contradicts their pilot guide.

Is the 10.2 functionality download from IFD to FF?  Do you have any update on when (or if) there is a desire to provide additional functionality, like bi-directional flight plans, or is what we have now likely to be all we get, despite what others like G* are enabling?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:27pm
Peter's question got me to looking at the manual, and I noticed this...

"The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode where the IFD acts as a "server" or access point, or, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-ForeFlight network)."

Does this mean I can connect the IFD440 to my Stratus, and then Also at the same time connect the IFD100 app to the IFD440, so that I end up with Weather / Traffic / 3D Synthetic Vision all showing on my iPad together?
(My heart is racing just thinking about it!)

George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:46pm
Do you have WIFI on your 440?  Avidyne's web site shows it as standard on the 540 but an option on the 440.
genelee59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genelee59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

Do you have WIFI on your 440?  Avidyne's web site shows it as standard on the 540 but an option on the 440.

Yes, thankfully I've got the Wifi & Bluetooth option.

But, as i read that statement from the manual I'm less hopeful that it can work as I hoped.
I'm wondering now about the word 'OR'

"...acts as a "server" or access point, OR, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts..."

to connect to the Stratus it's going to have to be in 'Remote' mode, but I'm pretty sure that the IFD100 will need it to be in 'Server' mode.  If that's true, I can't see how all 3 can be talking together at the same time.  ( I hope I'm wrong )
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 5:42pm
AviJake was demonstrating running FF and the IFD100 on the same iPad, and flipping back and forth.

It should work fine. The topology of the network doesn't matter, it is just a network.

* Orest

M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:05pm
I'm hoping that there will be a way to connect the IFD, ipad and stratux together. If I have to switch networks to switch between using Foreflight and the IFD100, then I doubt I'll ever use the IFD100.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by M20J M20J wrote:

I'm hoping that there will be a way to connect the IFD, ipad and stratux together. If I have to switch networks to switch between using Foreflight and the IFD100, then I doubt I'll ever use the IFD100.

It is no different with Stratux, than Stratus. Once you set up the IFD to work as a client on the WiFi network, it should just work.

* Orest

M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 1:53am
I hope you are right Orest. I'll be in your neck of the woods next week to have Brant do the upgrade.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by M20J M20J wrote:

I hope you are right Orest. I'll be in your neck of the woods next week to have Brant do the upgrade.

Call Avidyne Tech support, and grill them. They should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Pat, and Dan & Josh at BA, should be able to help get the answer as well.

Please report back!

I'm updated to 10.2, but plane is down with Mag issues. I may get a chance to hangar fly it, and see if I can configure it that way myself with my android tablet.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Mar 2017 at 7:33am
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:12am
My IFD was updated to 10.2 on Friday.  That evening I setup the wifi as a client to my iLevil SW GPS/AHRS.  When I opened FlyQ on my ipad, it indicated that it connected with the IFD.  But, when I tried sending a flight plan to the IFD, it did not appear to be connected.  The "Avidyne IFD Connected" banner would reappear sporadically.  This seems to me to mean that the connection is not stable.  Has anyone else tried pushing/receiving a flight plan with the IFD connected as a client through a remote GPS/AHRS unit?  I did not have time to reset the IFD as a WAP and see if that worked better.  I have sent an email to Seattle Avionics to get their input as well.

David
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:20am
ps, The nav database updates are super fast now.  I hadn't updated mine yet to the March 2nd update due to lack of time to get to the airport.  I updated it after the 10.2 update.  Wow!!!  Awesome job Avidyne.
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:47am
We are in the process of getting our aircraft back in the air with a rebuilt engine. It has been grounded for well over a year. Just before getting grounded back in 2015 we (drank the Koolaid) had an IFD540, AXP340, AMX240, and we had the MLB100 prewired (but it wasn't yet available for install at that time).

So, before we get the rebuilt engine installed I made an appointment a few weeks ago to get the avionics updated. Good fortune finally shining down on me, 10.2 become in time for my avionics appointment. I just left a well known avionics shop in Lakeland, FL and they informed me 10.2 was NOT a free update. I was under the impression it was, and a post by AviJake states as much. 

I'm wondering if something changed?
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:56am
The update itself is free from Avidyne. The labor to install it is not. Your shop will charge the install fee.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:00pm
The installation SIL (which you can download, no dealer account required) specifies some times for the install.  Unfortunately, the times are inconsistent.  There is a table in section 1.5 which has times ranging from 60 to 75 minutes, depending on your current software rev..   Section 2.5.1 (which implicitly only covers the actual software upgrade steps) specifies 80-120 minutes.

The labor consuming parts would appear to be the front end (recording configurations) and the backend (re-asserting the configurations; and the paperwork).   Unfortunately the SIL is not entirely clear (at least to me) on whether the configs are only the User Configs (in which case - it is MY responsibility, not the shop's), or the the Installation-specific configs (in which case, it is the shop's responsibility unless I take it away from them.)   Most of the hour to two hours of the actual load don't require any labor (go work on something else), but there is a possible intermediate action required to continue the install part-way through.  Perhaps someone who's completed the install can elaborate to help the rest of us negotiate the best value shop effort.

wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:46pm
I spent about 1/2 hour photographing the settings screens.   I never did find one for FMS setup which is listed as one to track.   I'd guess it would take an equal length of time to reset everything.    BH
BH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by wookie wookie wrote:

...  I never did find one for FMS setup which is listed as one to track. 

Push the Setup Map button on the AUX|SETUP page. It will toggle to Setup FMS.

Any of the legends that are two color (white & cyan), when pressed, will cycle between at least two options.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 4:43pm
Can 2 IFDs be updated simultaneously or does one have to be completed before the other can be started?   A shop told me they had to be done separately and to expect about three hours each.   I was also told that 10.2 has many bugs and I may want to hold off for now.   Could anyone who has completed the update on a dual installation comment please.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 4:48pm
I haven't done 10.2 but 10.1.x failed without doing each one at a time with the other (and cross feed) off.

I expect 10.2 to be more sensitive, and I agree with your shop about doing one at a time.  I don't know about 3 hours.

David Gates
Agipilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agipilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:00pm
I updated mine today, but now the password I used to connect it to my iPad doesn't work.
Anybody else have this problem?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Agipilot Agipilot wrote:

I updated mine today, but now the password I used to connect it to my iPad doesn't work.

No issue with mine. Default is: abcdef1234

Check page 13 of the maintenance Config pages. The WiFi password is listed there.

* Orest

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 7:31pm
Has anyone used the Demo mode available in 10.2? The Pilot Guide indicates that the IFD will boot up into Demo mode if it is started with a USB fob inserted containing a dummy file named "DEMO", with no file extension or quotes. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how to create such a dummy file that will safely cause the IFD to boot up in Demo mode?

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:58pm
The instructions clearly state to do them separately. I see no technical reason why this would be and have always updated mine at the same time. However, I did mine separately like the instructions say. And 3hrs shop labor is not unreasonable given that they have to save configurations and restore settings manually.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
Thanks Gring. Have you experienced any bugs as yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic