Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hours and Minutes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hours and Minutes
    Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 4:40pm
On the flight home from Sun N Fun in my 172, I had plenty of time to ponder my datablocks.

In every time block, why is there a notation "H:M" if the darn thing never changes to any other format?

Or more specifically, in a future software could it switch to M:S (Minutes & Seconds) whenever the time remaining to the waypoint is less than an hour?  I really enjoy that behavior in some of my other equipment.  Maybe the guys flying faster airplanes don't care as much, but my flights can get pretty slow and it's nice to see the format change in the last hour and watch the countdown.

David Bunin

KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

On the flight home from Sun N Fun in my 172, I had plenty of time to ponder my datablocks.

In every time block, why is there a notation "H:M" if the darn thing never changes to any other format?

Or more specifically, in a future software could it switch to M:S (Minutes & Seconds) whenever the time remaining to the waypoint is less than an hour?  I really enjoy that behavior in some of my other equipment.  Maybe the guys flying faster airplanes don't care as much, but my flights can get pretty slow and it's nice to see the format change in the last hour and watch the countdown.

David Bunin

+++1 

Klaus
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:28pm
I'd be happy if it changed as it passed through 10 minutes (i.e. 9:59  M:S) but all the timers should do this!!!  There's too big a difference between 0:1 (H:M) and 1:59 (M:S).  If someone thinks the display needs to switch colors when it switches, fine but IMHO this needs to change.
Jim Patton
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:14pm
This is a good idea, it has been brought up before and I believe is already in the feature database.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:46am
+1

It really would be nice to know how much of that last minute is left.
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:55pm
How about the ability of adding an audio file:
Audible alarm:  What I would like is to be able to add a beep, or tone, at the end of a count down timer.  Or what I would really like is, what I have in my model airplane transmitter - the ability to download my own audio file;  and have it activated at the end of a count down timer. 
Like:
  "Put down the gear stupid".
   Or:   "It's time to change tanks - or do you want to log glider time"?
JWJ
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:46pm
All of these are in the future feature candidate database.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
I just noticed that on the full FPL page it actually does switch to M:S when the time to the next waypoint is less than 10 minutes, but to be clear; my request is in regard to the datablocks on the MAP page, which never switch from the H:M format in my current software.

Also, I'm not sure why 10 minutes is the switch-over point.  In my mind, as soon as the time is less than one hour I can dispense with the H:M format and go to M:S.  The zero indication in the 'hours' position isn't valuable to me.

David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic