Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Map Orientation View

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map Orientation View
    Posted: 27 May 2016 at 3:48pm
I like to keep my top 540 in Track Up Centered view with the aircraft centered.  I know that you can toggle through the different views by pushing in the bottom knob repeatedly.  Sometimes times when I start up, the 540 is back in North up view and I have to toggle it back to Track Up Centered.  Has anyone else seen this?  It happened again today and now that I think of it, I also did an update of the Nav Data and Obstacles and had to push in the bottom knob to select those options before starting the update.  Is it possible that pushing in the bottom knob to make selections when doing an update, would also change the desired map view (since it is the same knob action)?  If not, what might the cause be?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:58pm
No, I see this too. It may have to do with how quickly a GPS lock is made, don't know. And, if it ends up in North up mode after a power up, for mysterious (to me) reasons, it will have to be manually reset to track up.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 May 2016 at 5:59pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 9:00pm
It happens to me occasionally to me as well.  I've never been able to determine why exactly.
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 10:31pm
Same thing here.  I fly with Track up but periodically the screen resets to North up.  Doesn't seem to be any reason, just the Avidyne gremlins messing with stuff, I suppose.  Hmmm ...
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 10:52pm
Just curious, when flying IFR, what view do people prefer? I've always flown with Foreflight in North-Up orientation. However, on the IFD440, I think I prefer track up, with Land and Nav Data turned all the way down.

What do others prefer?
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:42pm
I have 2 540s so this may not work for you but I keep my top unit in Track Up mode and keep the range anywhere from 20 miles down to 6 miles as I get closer to my destination.  I keep my bottom 540 in North Up and keep it dialed out to about 100 miles for a general overview. On Foreflight, I tend to alternate between the 2 views depending on whether I want to read an item on the chart or just navigating. 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by dubs dubs wrote:

Just curious, when flying IFR, what view do people prefer? I've always flown with Foreflight in North-Up orientation. However, on the IFD440, I think I prefer track up, with Land and Nav Data turned all the way down.

What do others prefer?

I much prefer track up on both the 540 and Foreflight. Actually, I use heading up on the 540. I wish that the 540 had the ability to display the Jeppesen approach charts in a track (or heading) up mode.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:21am

My choice is similar to one above: with both a 540 and 440, I keep the 540 in heading up mode and the 440 in North up.

ForeFlight is usually in track up unless I am planning a flight.  I am eager to be able to transfer a planned flight from the iPad to the 540/440.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:30pm
I use track up on the 540 and north up on the iPad, which typically displays VFR or IFR charts.  I prefer north up on charts because for one thing, you can read the text more easily, and it gives me a better overall situational awareness since I shouldn't get confused which way north is, but it happens.

I have an approach chart subscription but I'm finding I really prefer to have approach charts on the iPad and let the 540 display the step down fixes, etc.  I also find it easier to see and manipulate the approach chart on the iPad.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:16am
Although the issue with the 540 starting up in "North Up" instead of the "Track Up" view it was shut down in, is not a big deal, it has been happening much more frequently.   It seems others have seen this too and it has now happened on my last 3 flights.  It really is no problem to toggle back to the view I want but I'm just curious if Avidyne has any ideas on the cause of this?

Edited by teeth6 - 12 Jun 2016 at 11:02pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Although the issue with the 540 starting up in "North Up" instead of the "Track Up" view, .... but I'm just curious if Avidyne has any ideas on the cause of this?

I might wonder the same thing. See this from time to time, can't really associate it with something.

* Orest

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:04am
One thing to consider:

When the aircraft is being powered up, if you don't move, there isn't a track value.

Have you tried to notice if you are moving before the GPS locks in to a position?

David Bunin
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 10:35am
Yes,   When it changes to North up, it stays that way until I toggle it back to Track up.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 3:54pm
When it DOESN'T change to North Up, what is the Track value before you move?  (Also do you move the airplane into or out of a hangar while the unit is powered down?)  Such that the airplane isn't pointed the same direction it was at power-down.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 4:39pm
I would have to check the Track value when it doesn't revert to North up and I do move the airplane into a hangar after it is powered down but it is basically just pushing it straight back so it is roughly on the same heading it was on when powered down.  Also, this change sometimes happens when I am just parked outside after making a flight and starting up again later the same day in the same spot.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 5:20pm
I just flew mine today and couldn't get anything but North up even after changing it from the AUX page. I'm off in the am and plan on setting it before I head out and see how that goes.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
Mark, to change the map orientation, you need to push the bottom right button.  It will cycle between North Up, Track Up Arc, and Track Up centered.  The Aux user setting only changes between Track and Heading mode for those three views.
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 9:27am
I had the same problem, and it took me a little while until I realized that I had to have the MAP page active, not FMS or Aux, before the orientation could be set.  I found I was trying to set it while on the FMS page and nothing was happening.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 9:25pm
Duh.... I figgered it out today... Push the right lower knob and the view changes. I'm a happy camper!
https://www.flickr.com/gp/125356136@N02/1h7egD
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 5:14pm
Had another map display anomaly last week. Departing New Orleans for Panama City, FL, I had me IFD-440 in FMS mode, map shown in "Track Up" orientation. However, after take-off and after making my initial turn on course, the underlying map did not rotate. It still showed me on runway heading. I was able to correct the display by switching to Map screen, cycling through map views, then back to FMS. This is the second time something like this has happened. Is it a bug in my unit, or have others experienced the same issue?

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 8:17pm
When I was having issues like this, it was because my DG provides heading info to the 540.  (When you turn the DG knob, the 540 map rotates).  

Not saying that this is your problem.    

Ken
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:16am
Is that an actual picture from the time of your observed anomaly?  You have the system in FMS Cursor Centered mode and the cursor on the previous waypoint (the one prior to the active leg).  So, if this is a picture from your anomaly, that would explain the behavior you saw and the system is working per design.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:12pm
So, your saying that if it's in Cursor Centered view, it doesn't automatically index to the next waypoint and the map doesn't rotate if in track up mode. If so, that would explain the behavior. 

It is my routine that after plugging in the flight plan to put the unit in Cursor Centered mode and to step through the flight plan to make sure everything looks right. I guess I need to add to that routing to take the unit out of Cursor mode before departure.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:19pm
I keep mine in track up all the time.  To step through all the waypoints to be sure everything is correct, simply use the knob on the right and just scroll down the list of waypoints.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic