Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AMX240 Audio Panel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

COM2 to speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COM2 to speaker
    Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 12:35pm
I have an IFD540 in NavCom1, and an old Narco Mk12D in NavCom2.

I like to fly with the Narco guarding 121.5, and routing that to the overhead speaker.  Many radios disable squelch on 121.5, so selecting "Com2" on the AXP240 pollutes the audio from the 540.

With the old Cessna audio panel this was a simple matter of flipping a switch, but I can't figure out how to do this with the AXP240. 

Thanks in advance for any help.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 1:23pm

Another possibility you might consider:  the IFD540 provides another audio output from the "standby" comm position, if it is wired to the audio panel. As I understand it the Avidyne audio panel provides a Monitor button to access this frequency selection.

I use this feature (with a different audio panel) to monitor 121.5, since the IFD540 does not disable the squelch on this frequency.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by AUXAIR AUXAIR wrote:

... the IFD540 provides another audio output from the "standby" comm position, if it is wired to the audio panel.

I do precisely that, as well, for monitoring guard.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
cardinal driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:29am
I could dedicate the standby comm from the IFD540 to guard, but that interferes with the flip-flop use and the ability of the IFD540 to suggest frequencies and fill in the standby.

It seems strange that a 1970s panel can do with a single switch what a 21st-century panel can't seem to do at all. I feel like I'm missing something.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:53pm
Assuming you have 2 radios and ? AMX240 Audio Panel, why not "monitor" guard with Mon-2 and then use Com-2 to listen to active #2 when you want... while using Com #1 active and use Mon-1 to monitor stby freq. #1.

Basically, with the AMX240, you can listen to up to 4-frequencies at once if you want.

Tom Wolf
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by cardinal driver cardinal driver wrote:

I could dedicate the standby comm from the IFD540 to guard, but that interferes with the flip-flop use and the ability of the IFD540 to suggest frequencies and fill in the standby.

It seems strange that a 1970s panel can do with a single switch what a 21st-century panel can't seem to do at all. I feel like I'm missing something.

You know that you can have up to three standby frequencies, right? I have configured for one primary and two standby, so I always have a free standby slot to work with.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You know that you can have up to three standby frequencies, right? I have configured for one primary and two standby, so I always have a free standby slot to work with.

* Orest

To do as you suggest, use the MON feature of the AXP240 to guard 121.5, I would have to keep it in the #1 standby slot.  From the manual (10.2 draft edition)

"If connected to an audio panel (e.g. Avidyne AMX240) that can support this function, the IFD will
send the first standby com frequency audio to the audio panel for audio monitoring."

So I could put 121.5 in Standby 1, but then I could no longer make use of the IFD540 FREQ function key functions.  Again from the manual:

"When a desired frequency has been located in the list, it can be placed into the #1 Standby slot by either double tapping it via touch or pushing the bottom right dual concentric push knob."

The #2, 3, and 4 standby slots have their uses, but guarding 121.5 isn't one of them.

I'm amazed that this audio panel can't send one source to the headphones and another to the speaker.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

...I have configured for one primary and two standby, so I always have a free standby slot to work with.

* Orest

So I could put 121.5 in Standby 1, but then I could no longer make use of the IFD540 FREQ function key functions.  Again from the manual:

"When a desired frequency has been located in the list, it can be placed into the #1 Standby slot by either double tapping it via touch or pushing the bottom right dual concentric push knob."

Actually, you do not have that quite correctly. There is actually a subtle difference between the references to the first "physical" standby frequency (for the monitor function) always just below the primary frequency, and the "#1 Standby" frequency (for nomination to the primary position, loading freq from the FREQ page, etc.) as set by a screen touch, and as shown by the cyan outline.

You can do exactly as I suggest above, to achieve what you'd like to do. I do this on most every flight.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Jul 2016 at 7:10pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 8:04am
I'm amazed that in 2016, anybody's using the overhead speaker in flight.  We all have different expectations, I guess.
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 9:05am

I also do exactly as Orest suggests in order to monitor guard.  I have my 540 set up to have two standby comm frequencies. 

While the physical standby 1 slot is the one delivered as standby audio to the audio panel (in your case the monitor 1 button), the standby 2 position can be used as the flip-flop by a touch command, which then outlines it in cyan and uses it as the place to load new frequencies. Those can be loaded from the selector knobs or from the frequency lists or airport information.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:09am
Interesting comments considering speakers verses Head Sets. How many of us use headsets in our automobiles?

When I started as an airline pilot in 1951, we used headsets while flying the DC-3 and DC-4. After the fleet became DC-6, DC-7, and Convair 340s, we graduated to speakers. Worked great for me in allt he rest of the airliners I flew. Even the 747.  

However, the young hot shots who trained in the military all seemed to prefer headsets, so that became the norm. 

One of the real selling features of the Bonanza was the quiet cabin which allowed the use of a speaker. 

Seems that, in the sixties, those same military pilots were getting able to afford Bonanzas and all wanted headsets..

Such is life!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:28am
I've never flown in a Bonanza, but it'd have to be a lot quieter than the Cessnas and Cherokees I'm familiar with for me to not want to wear a headset.  My dad was a pilot from WWII up to the 80s, and the one thing I learned from his hearing troubles late in life is that I should always wear a headset for hearing protection...nothing to do with being "cool".

Edited by MysticCobra - 08 Jul 2016 at 11:29am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 11:31am
Absolutely true, yet -

I fear that there could be warning sounds I am not hearing because of noise cancelling headphones.

David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardinal driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:19pm
In the Cardinal RG, the overhead speaker is used for stall warning and landing gear warning tones.  The speaker has two voice coils, one driven by the warnings, the other by radio audio.

Monitoring 121.5 on the overhead speaker is consistent with that use - any time I hear noise from the speaker, I pay attention!  I've heard several ATC calls to airliners that way.

I'm amazed that the AMX240 can process 9 audio inputs (Com 1, Com 2, Mon 1, Mon 2, Nav 1, Nav 2, Mkr, Aux, Tel) + 2 Music inputs + 5 unswitched inputs but can't route Com2 to the speaker alone.  It seems like an oversight.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 1:07pm
The 240 is an OEM'd PSEngineering 8000. Don't know that there is any newer "electronic" audio panel that can separately switch only Com2 to the speaker. That capability seems to have disappeared with the older King type audio panels.

* Orest

BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 7:53pm
Good Evenng Mystic Cobra, 

Well, I am currently 87 years old. I suppose as I get older my hearing will suffer, but I have been flying well over seventy of those years. I do not thnk flying has hurt my ears any more than just old age has made my ears less efficient.

I DO use noise cancelling headsets because they really are marvelous gadgets, but the Bonanza is/was a LOT quieter than the Cessnas and Pipers of the fifties. Beech used an almost eight foot prop turning at a maximum of 2050 RPM cruise power to keep things quiet.  Really worked great!

Modern headsets and modern electronics ARE marvelous. <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic