Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using decimal lat/long?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using decimal lat/long?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:08am
I recently flew from the US to Canada. Because I thought it would be a one-time trip, I didn't buy the Jepp Canada packages. To get north of the border, I created user waypoints for the nav fixes and airports I expected to use. This was a mixed experience: the Nav Canada charts have conventional lat/long coordinates for some fixes, but others (like OAKVL) don't have them, and I could only get decimal lat/longs (e.g. 49.70º) from Foreflight. I didn't see a way to either make Foreflight give me conventional notation or to make the IFD take a decimal input. Is there a way to do this?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:38am
You can convert decimal components to minutes and seconds, e.g., 3.70 would be 3 minutes and 42 seconds.  (decimal fraction x 60 seconds/minute).  

I did this before when a BK app gave me GPS coordinates in decimal but the box required minutes and seconds.

Hope this helps.
David Gates
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 4:40pm
Interesting that you mention OAKVL. The OAKVL intersection was moved (by a few miles)a few years ago and it went from being an enroute intersection that was displayed on enroute charts to being an RNAV SID waypoint that you can find on the SID charts (with the decimal coordinates - dd mm.mm). Oddly, Foreflight still had both locations in their database, so using Foreflight, you risk getting the wrong location. The location of all waypoints in Canada can be found in the planning section of the CFS, which can be downloaded in Foreflight

Edited by M20J - 14 Jul 2016 at 9:10pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:01pm
The only formats the IFDs permit for position are:

1.  ddd-mm-ss
2.  ddd-mm.mm
3.  UTM
4.  MGRS
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 3:35pm

The SID for CYTZ doesn't have the lat/long, at least in FF. Honestly it didn't occur to me to look in the CFS. I just now downloaded it and searched for OAKVL, and all I see are on pp1418 et seq, where it's referenced as part of the standard routes for the Toronto FIR.

If I look at C191, where the list of intersection coordinates is found, OAKVL doesn't appear under the list of "O" intersections. So now I'm more confused than I was before; I still don't know how I should have gotten the lat/long for that intersection.

M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:46pm
I apologize, you are right, in the CFS they just have a list of enroute waypoints so OAKVL is not there as it is a SID waypoint.

I just looked on Foreflight and the coordinates are in fact on the SID plates just as they are on the paper version. However I would not suggest you create user waypoints to"build" SIDs, STARs or approaches for IFR use. All those procedures should be loaded from the database so that the gps handles them correctly (cdi scale etc) and to avoid any accidental data entry errors.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 7:53am
Aha. I was looking at the wrong plate.If I go to the FF Plates tab, select CYTZ, select the OAKVL ONE DP, then the lat/long for OAKVL isn't shown. You have to go to the plate labeled "OAKVL ONE DEP (OAKVL1) DEPARTURE ROUTING" to see it. Thanks for pointing that out. The Nav Canada plates and schemes will take me a bit of getting used to.

Your point about not hand-rolling DPs with user waypoints is well taken. However, it was hard VMC and I was able to get advisory guidance from FF, so I felt it was acceptable. I wouldn't try it in actual, however.  
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:41am
In FF you can move between plate pages by swiping with 3 fingers, that's the easiest way to move through the 3 pages of the OAKVL1.
JBSmitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JBSmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 5:32pm
In Foreflight, you can change the lat/Lon to DD-MM-SS to match the IFD format. Go to More/Settings Units/Time to make the change.
Jim Smith, SR22
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 6:00pm
Or you can set both ForeFlight and the IFDs to DD-MM.mm, which I find much easier to deal with.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:34pm
This is the winning suggestion-- thanks! I didn't know you could do that in FF.
Mirslaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirslaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 1:20am
I thought we were talking about Avidyne in this forum.  Who cares about Foreflight?  I don’t.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Mirslaw Mirslaw wrote:

I thought we were talking about Avidyne in this forum.  Who cares about Foreflight?  I don’t.

Well, there's one vote at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic