Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FlyQ: $40 for 1 year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FlyQ: $40 for 1 year
    Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:04am

I have used FF for years and like it quite well. Last year I tried FlyQ and thought it was OK-- better in some areas than FF, worse in others. Their support was very responsive when I pointed out a couple of issues I was having and the app itself worked well, it was just different from what I was accustomed to so I didn't pop for the $140/year subscription.

However, they're running a sale now: a year's VFR+IFR subscription for $40. For that price, I decided to buy it both to support competition in the market but also to give me another app that works/will work with the IFD540. To get this deal, use coupon code UPGRADE39FFWX on their ordering page.

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Seattle Avionics and am not getting any referral kickbacks etc).

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:30am
Depending on your equipage, SA periodically runs a lifetime data sale; I did this because I have a handheld which can use their data; also dual Aspens in my panel which uses SA charts.  So I also started using FlyQ, because a one time purchase (I think it was $399) gives me lifetime (my expiration date is 2097 - good to know I'm going to live that long!) with no more data or renewal charges.

That for me was incentive enough to drop GP, plus FlyQ is going to have bidirectional interaction with my 540s.  Not a hard decision!

Edited by ddgates - 11 Aug 2016 at 10:32am
David Gates
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:24pm
I popped for the $39 deal only cuz it was really cheap. I've been a WingX user for years and like it a lot. A 3-year sub with WingX is around $200.  FlyQ will provide alternate app and like David points out, there are some parts that are really nice.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 6:30pm
I also think Steve Podradchik is working hard to offer a lot of functionality and inclusion of a lot of ADS-B devices including the cheap Flight Box stratux I also have.
David Gates
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
That's a big part of why I sprang for it-- Steve seems like a hard-working guy and I'd like to see him stay in the market. even though I won't necessarily switch over to FlyQ as my primary app.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 10:05am
I also bought into the lifetime data subscription a couple of years ago.  I was a WingX user before that, but there were few things that frustrated me about it.  I was already looking to switch from WingX when SA came out with their lifetime data offer.  It was an easy switch.  I haven't used FF much because I don't like their exclusive relationship with the Stratus receiver.  The app I purchase shouldn't lock me into which ADSB/GPS receiver I purchase, and visa versa.  Just like which GPS/NAV/COM I buy shouldn't lock me into which other devices I purchase for my panel.  I really applaud both SA and Avidyne for their willingness to play nice with others.  Now, if we can just get them to together to provide some competition for Jeppesen, that would be great!  :)
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

I also bought into the lifetime data subscription a couple of years ago.  I was a WingX user before that, but there were few things that frustrated me about it.  I was already looking to switch from WingX when SA came out with their lifetime data offer.  It was an easy switch.  I haven't used FF much because I don't like their exclusive relationship with the Stratus receiver.  The app I purchase shouldn't lock me into which ADSB/GPS receiver I purchase, and visa versa.  Just like which GPS/NAV/COM I buy shouldn't lock me into which other devices I purchase for my panel.  I really applaud both SA and Avidyne for their willingness to play nice with others.  Now, if we can just get them to together to provide some competition for Jeppesen, that would be great!  :)

+1
David Gates
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

...I haven't used FF much because I don't like their exclusive relationship with the Stratus receiver....

My sentiments until recently.  But FF and L3 Lynx are now compatible, with the Lynx providing ADS-B traffic and weather to FF over wifi - a surprising development IMHO, given FF's partnership with Stratus over the years. No need for a battery operated Stratus anymore if you have a Lynx box.  Opens the door to Avidyne and other ADS-B receiver manufacturers to work over wifi with FF, perhaps?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:11pm
Perhaps.  As I'm sure you all can imagine, you're going to see tons of developments in the whole connected cockpit kind of domain in the coming months/years.

It used to be all about ball bearings.  Now, it's all about connectivity.   Lot's of competition in this area and it will be highly dynamic as more and more vendors provide more and more compatibility and connectivity options.

For some folks, all the options and competition will be confusing and introduce a lot of noise.   It's hard to see a single unifying standard/protocol emerge nor is it easy to think a single dominant player will exist so that state will likely continue, and maybe even get noisier.  But, the bottom line is that you're almost certain to find a solution that gets you what you want at some point, if not already there.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:49am

I fired up FlyQ on a flight this weekend-- I actually forgot I had it until I was nearly home. Although FF would correctly display GPS data from the IFD540, FlyQ didn't seem to recognize its presence and wouldn't admit to connecting to it. I was pretty sure that SA says they support the IFD line but I need to troubleshoot some more and figure out what's what.

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I fired up FlyQ on a flight this weekend-- I actually forgot I had it until I was nearly home. Although FF would correctly display GPS data from the IFD540, FlyQ didn't seem to recognize its presence and wouldn't admit to connecting to it. I was pretty sure that SA says they support the IFD line but I need to troubleshoot some more and figure out what's what.

I'm pretty sure FlyQ doesn't connect to IFD yet.  I've never heard anything from SA that they have issued an update to the app that incorporates this feature.  Hopefully in the next big FlyQ release.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:40pm
You're probably right-- I couldn't find any reference to IFD connectivity on the SA site or in the FlyQ manual, but Avidyne lists it as a supported app (see http://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=334), which is why I thought it was already supported. Oh well. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:45pm
It is, or rather will be.

Per Steve at SA they are doing the IFD connectivity, expecting announcement to more or less coincide with 10.2.
David Gates
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:40am
Any chance Avidyne will offer option to go with SA Navdata so we can ditch the big "J"?
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:18am
I agree - the big J is a major expense to ownership/operation of the wonderful IFD540. A subscription cannot possibly cost this much to administer/provide. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic