Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Avidyne IFD Series Training Book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Avidyne IFD Series Training Book
    Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:04pm
I am happy to announce that my new Avidyne IFD training book, Flying With the Avidyne IFD, is now available on Amazon. To find it, just go to www.amazon.com and search for IFD540 or IFD440. There are both hard-copy and Kindle versions. 

The book is intended to be a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the Avidyne IFD navigators in real life. It would be a good read for anyone who has an IFD, as well as anyone who is considering purchasing one. It covers flight planning, holding, instrument approaches, IFD setup and customization, and other useful topics.

Please check it out and give me your feedback!

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:17pm
Mike:

My question would be "Do you plan a revision for Release 10.2?"

Congrats.
David Gates
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:59pm
David:

Yes, I do plan a 10.2 revision.

There's 10.2 stuff in the book already, as much as I could get from the draft Pilot's Guide and other information that Avidyne has made available. 

All the scenarios are based on the Avidyne Windows and iPad simulators. Those are still at the 10.1 software level, so the screen shots and examples are based on 10.1. I'll re-do them, if necessary, when Avidyne releases a new simulator.

This book is intended to be a basic tutorial. Most of the information in it is the same in both 10.1 and 10.2.

Mike

Edited by mfb - 19 Aug 2016 at 9:01am
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:46am
Another question, Mike.

Do you address the specific differences with the IFD440? That is all I have and it's sometimes difficult to learn the specifics.  Many similarities, but nice to know what's going on with differences as well.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:30am
Yes, I do address IFD440 differences.

All the examples and scenarios in the book are worked out using the IFD540. However, at the end of each chapter there's a "differences" section where I discuss the differences between the IFD540 and the IFD550, IFD545, IFD510, IFD440, and IFD410.

Mike
Bjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:14pm
I Had a chance to review it briefly and talk with the author. I just ordered my copy. Added bonus is that Mike is a highly experienced pilot and all round good guy!!
Brian J.
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:03am
Helllo Mike. Just finished your book. Very Well Done!   In view that the new draft of the 440 is proving difficult to roduce; your book was very informative! Thank You!

Perhaps, you could incorporate MX -10 usage as well. Thanks again for your hard work.

Best,
David
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:56am
David:

Thanks for your support and your kind words.

The book was intended to be a guide to the basic operation of the IFDxxx line. However, I'd like to expand it once 10.2 comes out and things have a chance to stabilize a bit. That may take a while, especially with other vendors starting to introduce products that work with the IFDs.

What do you think would be useful? Some of the topics I can think of are:

Terrain avoidance and TAWS
ADS-B weather and traffic datalink
Operation with iPads and other external devices
Use of approach charts

I found that the Avidyne Pilot Guide was very good and very comprehensive, but it was a difficult learning tool. I'm trying to give new users enough knowledge so that they can use and understand the Pilot Guide.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 3:19pm
Hi Mike, as mentioned, possible addition of MX-10 keyboard incorporration. All subjects you listed would be great.

The main thing I love about your book, was the slow buildup in complexity you utilized. I too have read the manual, was disappointed that they didn't lay it out with more examples such as utilized in your book.

Another issue that surprised me was no info on Autopilot usage with the IFD. My Garmin 430 W had a flight manual supplement; on using the gps unit with my Autopilt KFC200 w/ GPSS. However Avidyne just has a normal and Emergency chapter.

Talking to Avidyne, they said it was not included in the flight manual supplement, as there are too many Autopilot sytems. You just need to train in your plane, to learn the system. Would like to understand some procedures, before burning gas flying, and learning that way.

Example being, on the ILS, I know the IFD autotunes the freq. Based on the pilots guide, and your manual; if I understand correctly, should switch from GPS-VLOC, and I use my HSI for course guidance. On yhe Garmin, I had to select the CDI mode for an ILS. I am still unsure on the IFD, if I have to rotate the upper right knob.

I didn't realize there were that many GA aircraft autopilots. I have the KFC 200 with GPSS. I know there is the Century IV , the Avidyne Entegra series, and the Garmin stuff.

Obviously, Avidyne felt there were too many, but Garmin did not. Hence, the flight supplement for the Garmin, and none for the Avidyne....said scratching head.

If you or anyone else has my A/P setup, any help on the question appreciated.

Looking forward to your updated book after 10.2 release, whenever that may be. Again, your scenario techniques, really makes your book standout to me. Nice Job!

Apologies, for my verbosity. I was typing as I was thinking. :-)

Best,
David
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:10pm
David:

In theory the autopilot should work just like it always did. I upgraded from a VOR/ILS to an Avidyne and my Century 2000 tracks the IFD540 just like it used to track the VOR/ILS. The only difference is that I now have roll steering (GPSS), which essentially lets the IFD540 control the autopilot heading directly so that it can track better. But that's not used for ILS or LPV approaches.

When you're shooting an approach the IFD just provides the up/down, right/left signal for the autopilot to follow. You have to make sure that the IFD and the autopilot are both in the right mode, but after that everything should work like it always did. For example, for an ILS approach the IFD should be in VLOC mode with the correct frequency tuned and the autopilot should be in APPR mode. LPV approaches are the same, except the IFD should show that it's in LPV mode. 

For an ILS the IFD should make the switch to VLOC by itself; if it doesn't that probably means that it hasn't fully identified the ILS. You then have to switch manually and ensure that the ILS is tuned properly.  

The autopilot shouldn't have anything to do with the switch to VLOC. It's "downstream" of the IFD and just needs to have the up/down/left/right signals; it doesn't know what kind of a device they're coming from. (Unless you have a fully integrated digital autopilot like the Avidyne DFC90. But that's not what we're talking about.)

I sympathize with Avidyne that there are a lot of autopilots; it would be hard to develop instructions for all of them. And there are other factors too - whether you have an Aspen, an HSI, or a simple nav indicator. Exact procedures would be different for all of them. You could write generic instructions but someone (or their lawyer) would claim that they were not completely accurate. Generic stuff can't be in a flight manual supplement. The FAA wouldn't approve it anyway.

It certainly  is an interesting topic!

Mike

dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:51pm
Thanks Mike. Good Info. A while back, had some issues transitioning to an ILS appch I had loaded.

It was VFR, no biggie. Followed my old Garmin procedures, A/P didn't capture ILS and fly it. Just trying to establish some good flow procedures with the IFD440. Hence my confusion on automatic capture.

Thanks again. Will be eagerly awaiting your follow up.

Best,
David
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:35am
Quote The main thing I love about your book, was the slow buildup in complexity you utilized.

A big "+1" from me.  This is one of my favorite things about this book.  This could be the textbook for an IFD class at a flight school.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:21pm
Mike,

I'm reading the book and I'm on Lesson 9 for the instrument approaches, and I have a question about the VOR approach.  (It's a general question about the approach, not really an IFD question, but since you're a CFII and I have your attention...)

For the VOR RWY 27 approach at KOSH, if I were to fly it old-school with my regular nav/com radio or if my IFD screen were to fail after I had the VOR tuned and I was left with just the CDI indication ... I could fly to the VOR and turn outbound at 085°.

At that point, how do I know how far or how long I should fly East before I start the procedure turn to get aligned with the final course?  Since the VOR itself is the MAP, the approach plate does not contain any timing blocks.

I see that I should "remain within 10NM" in the vertical profile, but how far out should I go, and how would I know that?

I suppose in normal conditions, the IFD screen will depict the procedure turn and I could defer to that guidance ... but how did Avidyne (Jeppensen?) know how far out to put it?

David
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:39pm
Good Evening David, 

Please do not confuse me with anyone who knows anything about the IFD units, but for any VOR approach, there is a distance published within which the procedure turn must completed. Whatever the distance, (usually ten miles) the outer most portion of the procedure turn must not go beyond it. It is up to we aviators to see that we comply with the rules that have been written. The IFD is just another tool to help us do what we are licensed to do!

Still OUR responsibility! The IFD is just another tool for us to use.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob 
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:44pm
Okay, fine.  I would need to stay within ten miles.  But this approach's only equipment requirement is a VOR receiver.  How is the distance measured?

David
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:35pm
Distance is determined by Speed and Time equals Distance. Same way we did it with a low frequency range approach! <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:42pm
If you're just using a VOR, the only way to measure distance is with a clock. Five minutes at 90 knots is 7.5 miles. Keep the procedure turn within that and you should be OK, with margin for error. But don't forget to factor in the wind.

That's why a clock with a second hand is still required equipment for IFR.

Mike
Ham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:26pm
I have had my IFD's since April and have read the Pilot's Guides, watched the YouTube videos and played with the simulator.   I have flown VFR day local and cross-country and VFR night local and some IFR cross-country.   Some things I find very intuitive and others I think were easier in the GNS430s.

I just got my book and started reading it from the beginning.   I am on page 107 now and have learned something in every chapter so far.   Great book, highly recommended!

We need an update to the Cirrus FOM to include the Avidyne "Dream Panel" of IFD540/440, DFC90 autopilot, AXP322 remote transponder, with EXP5000 PFD and EX5000C MFD.  Hint, hint
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Ham Ham wrote:

We need an update to the Cirrus FOM to include the Avidyne "Dream Panel" of IFD540/440, DFC90 autopilot, AXP322 remote transponder, with EXP5000 PFD and EX5000C MFD.  Hint, hint

All I need is someone to lend me an airplane like that so I can write about it! Hini, hint!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

All I need is someone to lend me an airplane like that so I can write about it! Hini, hint!!

Mike

Mike: 

Maybe from the proceeds from the book, which I just bought as well <g>?

David

Edited by ddgates - 29 Aug 2016 at 1:13pm
David Gates
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Mike: 

Maybe from the proceeds from the book, which I just bought as well <g>?

David

You guys are going to have to buy an awful lot of books!  Go for it!!!!  I'll start looking in Trade-A-Plane for my new Cirrus!

Mike
buz914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buz914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 11:03am

Bought and love the book.  A great way to learn how to operate the IFD.

Jamie

Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 12:18pm
Can this book be purchased through my IPAD using IBooks?
Frank
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 6:49pm
You can read it on your iPad using the Kindle app. I haven't made it available on iBooks yet but I've been thinking about it.

Do you prefer it on iBooks instead of Kindle? Why? I'm not very familiar with iBooks.

Thanks

Mike
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 9:17pm
Only reason I like IBooks is that I get ITunes gift certificates and currently have a nice credit. I just ordered the book from Amazon..
Frank
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:39pm
Mike's book is fantastic.  As mentioned above, the content builds in complexity and utilizes consistent methodology (but also describes alternatives).
The ability to work along via the app is very helpful in absorbing the material!
Well worth the investment.  I use it frequently as a reference book too. 
Bonanza F33a
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm
I like the scenario-based theme. "How do I ...?"

Extremely well written and graphically documented.

If you pick up one or two things you didn't know your box could do (and likely you will), your investment in the book is justified, IMO.

Thanks, Mike.
David Gates
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
I totally agree....its money well spent.
Frank
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 12:13pm

I just had the opportunity to go through this book and recommend it highly!  It is intended to be used in conjunction with either the Windows or iPad simulator, and when used together, it is an excellent training or refresher tool.

Even though I thought I knew the 540/440 pretty well, the careful text of this book and its detailed examples provided excellent refresher training, along with tips I had not come across before.

It is set up as a series of scenarios, which add to its effectiveness and ease of reading.  I recommend it to anyone who uses, or intends to use, the 54/440, etc. series of GPS navigators.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 1:07pm
I just finished the book.  Very well done and very helpful.  Highly recommend to anyone using or thinking of using the IFD.
colect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 7:29am
Mike's book works seamlessly with Avidyne's simulator, which works best on the iPad.  The combination makes a great learning process.  Avidyne's owner's guide is good, but this combo is far more effective for learning.  The illustrations are full-color screen shots of the IFD540 simulator, and the lessons are made from informatively structured scenarios.  The book will quickly pay for itself in making in-aircraft training time much more effective.

Suggestions for future?  Yeah, the multiplicity of autopilots is an issue, but a lot of planes with these boxes also have autopilots, and using them together is essential.  And troubleshooting-- whew!  Like what do you do when you're (supposedly) on ILS final but the VLOC symbol stayed yellow instead of green, your number 2 nav head says you're off course, and the tower asks you why you're so far off course?  Go around of course, but how do you find the link in the chain that produced that situation?  It's not something that the simulator replicates.  A training guide should include procedures for troubleshooting.
Chris
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 1:40pm
I bought the book (kindle) and have learned a few things too!  I agree it needs better integration with some sim like x-plane.  Which is why I posted a possible path to that integration on a different thread.  If you want the iPad sim able to drive x-plane through its autopilot then let them know on this thread:

Edited by TogaDriver - 01 Nov 2016 at 1:41pm
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:20pm
Just finished going through the book.
I'd read the owners manual cover to cover 3 times,
but found this to be great for transferring the didactic
to the practical.   Very useful and I highly recommend it.
Money well spent!
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:57pm
Does this training book address the new 10.2 software?  If not, will a revised copy become available?
Frank
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:07pm
No, it does not, it couldn't really.

I have read here (third post) that there was a plan to update the book once 10.2 shipped, to include that and a bunch of refreshes.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Mar 2017 at 3:08pm
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
Mike, looking forward in the future for your updated guide. Still one of the best guides I hage ever used.

Just wanted to say again, Thanks for all your hard work.

Best,
David
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 7:50am
Thanks for your support.

I tried to write the book with 10.2 in mind, using the description that Avidyne published last April. The basic stuff should still work and there shouldn't be any huge differences. But I do plan on putting out a revised version.

I got the final 10.2 information and the new simulators at the same time you guys did. My airplane hasn't been upgraded yet. So I'm just starting the process of revising the book. It will take a while.

The first task will be to run through all the scenarios and see if they work with the new simulators. I hope to start that next week.

Any suggestions that you have are welcome. We can all make this a better product if we do a little crowdsourcing.

Mike

Edited by mfb - 09 Mar 2017 at 9:26am
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 8:08am
Mike, I enjoyed the book, Thanks
Sauce
whiskykilo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:57am
Hello Mike,

my English is not so good, only schoolenglish and that is very long ago.

However, your book was so simple and clear that I understood everything very well and it was a lot of fun to read it and try out with the simulator.

Thank you from the good old Germany

Wolfgang
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:09am
Wolfgang:

I think that yours is the best compliment I have received. Thank you. I'm very glad that you liked the book. 

I'm sure that your English is far better than my German.

Mike

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 1:55pm
NOTE:  Almost every exercise in the book begins with telling you to press the End key on the PC-based version of the IFD simulator. This is intended to pause the simulation and keep the simulated airplane from running away while you read the book and set up the scenario.

This procedure no longer works for the 10.2 version of the PC simulator. Pressing the End key causes the simulator to freeze and the IFD buttons are no longer functional.

The best work-around I can find is to press the Delete key several times to reduce the simulated airplane's airspeed. Then you can press Insert to speed it up again when you're ready to go. This is pretty crude because it's too easy to press Insert too many times and you'll wind up going 500 knots if you're not careful.

I hope that Avidyne fixes this.

Mike
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:26pm
Mike, as I have been going thru the book for the 2nd time I have been taking notes on possible corrections, do you want the notes when I am finished?
Chris
Sauce
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:05pm
Yes, that would be great.

I've been doing the exercises with the new 10.2 simulator so I can find out if there any any critical differences. So far most things still work. I'm planning to put out a brief update sheet soon.

Any suggestions on what should be added or changed when I put out a full 10.2 revision would be welcome. That will be a longer-term project.

Thanks

Mike

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:29am

Notes on Avidyne Version 10.2

The following is a summary of the changes in Flying with the Avidyne IFD's lessons and exercises caused by the release of version 10.2 of the IFD’s software.

For more information refer to the appropriate Avidyne IFD Pilot’s Guide.

If any of you find any other significant changes, please let me know about them.

Lesson 2 Changes

Databases

The installation process for the iPad version of the IFD simulator has changed significantly. You are now asked if you want to download a current set of databases from Jeppesen. Proceed as follows:

• If you DO want to install current databases, enter your Jeppesen user ID and password when you are prompted to do so.
  • If you DO NOT want to install current databases, you can use a set of “generic” databases that do not change. When prompted, leave the Jeppesen user ID and password fields blank and press Login in the lower right corner of the screen, then Exit on the next screen.

NOTE:  All the exercises in the book are performed with the generic version of the Jeppesen navigation database. This database does not change with time.  The waypoints and procedures in a different database may not match those shown in the exercises.

Startup Screens

Both the Windows and iPad versions of the IFD simulator now include several startup screens that are displayed when the simulation begins. They are the same as the screens that are presented when a real IFD starts up. In each case, press ENTR, Proceed, or Confirm, as prompted. When the Wifi/Bluetooth screen appears you can press either ALLOW or IGNORE. It makes no difference to the simulation.

HOME Key in PC Simulator

Most of the exercises start with the instruction to press the HOME key when you are using the Windows version of the IFD Simulator. This stops the simulation and was intended to prevent the simulated aircraft from moving while you are reading the lesson and setting up the scenario.

The HOME key now causes the Windows version of the simulator to freeze up entirely. None of the front buttons will work. This makes it impossible to continue the lesson.

The only known work-around is to press the DELETE key several times to slow down the simulated aircraft. Its airspeed is reduced by about 10 knots for each press of the key.

When you are ready to resume the simulation, press the INSERT key to increase the airspeed. Each press of the key increases the airspeed by about 10 knots.

Lesson 6 Changes

ZIMBRO6 Departure

The iPad simulator now includes the ZIMBRO6 departure. The previous version only had the ZIMBRO4. The note in the text that says to use ZIMBRO4 can be disregarded.

Runways and Standard Departures and Arrivals

If you select a standard departure or arrival that has different transition routes for different runways you will now be prompted for the runway.

If you change the departure or arrival runway, the runway-specific transition part of the departure or arrival procedure will change automatically to reflect the new runway.

Lesson 8 Changes

Waypoint Orbit

In addition to holding at a waypoint, the IFD now offers you the option of orbiting a waypoint at a fixed radius.  Both the radius distance and the direction of the turn can be programmed into the IFD.

After you program the orbit the IFD will navigate directly to the specified waypoint and will intercept the orbit circle the first time it crosses it. If you specify a radius that is larger than the aircraft’s current distance from the waypoint, the IFD will navigate to the opposite side of the circle and intercept it there.  (Since you have already crossed the near side of the circle, the opposite side is the first point of intercept.)

When you delete the orbit, the IFD will navigate directly to the waypoint and proceed on course from there.  You may also leave the orbit by going direct to any other waypoint in your flight plan.

Published Holds

If a hold is published at a waypoint, the IFD will automatically use the published radial, turn direction, and leg distance. Sometimes there can be several published holds at the same waypoint.  For example, there could be one hold published on an en-route chart and another published on an approach plate. In this case, the IFD will present a menu which allows you to select which of the published holds you would like to use.

Once the hold has been added to the flight plan a new line select option will be presented if you change any of the holding pattern’s parameters. This option allows you to select between a standard hold and any holds that are published for that waypoint.

Lesson 10 Changes

Departure Time Replaced by Event Times

The Departure Time caption is no longer displayed on the AUX-UTIL-TIMERS page. It has been replaced by Event Times, which displays the same information.

User Names

User names can now include spaces and periods as well as letters.  But only the first letter is capitalized.

Edited by mfb - 31 Mar 2017 at 10:30am
NotarPilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotarPilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:43am
Before I buy this from Amazon, is the latest paperback revision for sale on Amazon based on 10.1 or 10.2? Or does it even matter?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:36am
It was released last year, so based on 10.1. You can see the update notes above. It is being rewritten for 10.2 I understand, but it might be a while before you see it. If you are looking for something now, would just go ahead and buy the current version, it will still serve its purpose.

* Orest

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It was released last year, so based on 10.1. You can see the update notes above. It is being rewritten for 10.2 I understand, but it might be a while before you see it. If you are looking for something now, would just go ahead and buy the current version, it will still serve its purpose.

* Orest

That's exactly right.

The 10.2 differences don't really affect the existing exercises. Adding chapters on SVS, TAWS, etc. will take a while.

Mike
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:44pm
Just placed my order on Amazon.  Hope its as good as everyone says :)
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:34am
I was going to wait till I finished but can't stand the wait.

Outstanding!  I'm about 3/4 through it and have found it to be extremely helpful.  Loaded with excellent pictures and step by step instructions.  Worth every penny! 
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:33am
Awesome!  Glad you like it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic