Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flightplan with several Departures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flightplan with several Departures
    Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:59am
For my Instrument Rating/Training I would like to make a Go-Around following by a SID.

Is it possible to make a Flightplan with Approach to the Destination Airport making a Go-Around with a Standard Instrument Departure and diverting to an other Airport?

If I tried it out I can't select a departure, only as normal, the Missed Approach.

Any Idea?

Thanks.
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 2:49pm
I tried this out in the simulator and have not been able to find an easy way to do it.

You can put multiple destination airports into a flight plan and shoot multiple approaches and missed approaches. The issue here is how to perform a standard departure after the miss.

It appears that the IFD can only associate a standard departure with the origin waypoint. The origin is the first airport waypoint in the flight plan. Other airports can be added to a flight plan, but they are treated as destinations, not origins.

The only way I could figure out to go into a SID after a missed approach would be to go to the ROUTE page and delete the entire current flight plan, then go back to the FPL page and enter the missed approach airport as the new origin. Then you could add the SID. But this seems like a lot of button pushing in a low-altitude, high-workload phase of flight. Not a good thing.

I hope that someone else can find a better answer.

Mike
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

The only way I could figure out to go into a SID after a missed approach would be to go to the ROUTE page and delete the entire current flight plan, then go back to the FPL page and enter the missed approach airport as the new origin. Then you could add the SID. But this seems like a lot of button pushing in a low-altitude, high-workload phase of flight. Not a good thing.

Since this is for training, and we know ahead of time that there is going to be a missed approach and a SID to climb back to the enroute environment (which seems very odd for training)...

My solution would be to have another route saved, and ready to go.  One where the missed-approach airport is the origin.  Then "all" you have to do is activate the other flight plan once you are stable in the missed approach.

David Bunin

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

My solution would be to have another route saved, and ready to go.  One where the missed-approach airport is the origin.  Then "all" you have to do is activate the other flight plan once you are stable in the missed approach.

Good idea. That would work well for a training environment.

It's unlikely that you would be so well prepared in an actual IFR environment after an actual missed approach. However, in the US anyway, I've never known ATC to issue a SID after a miss. I have no clue what European controllers would do.

If the weather were really marginal and the chances of a miss were high, and you knew about it in advance, you could get prepared by setting up the new saved flight plan while you were en-route, long before you shot the approach. Then your suggested plan would work pretty well.

In the case of an unexpected miss you could fly the miss procedure to make sure that you're clear of terrain and traffic. Then, workload permitting, you could enter the new flight plan.

Interesting scenario.

Mike

Edited by mfb - 06 Mar 2017 at 2:48pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:01am
I raised another thread for almost the identical reqt ... Dep vfr to apt 2 with sid fm apt 2 ...

Basic answer is that a sid can only be config on the origin wpt/apt, and origin can only be first entry in a flt pln.

Search on that thread to see other suggestions for work-around.

Vince
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:03am
That thread was "SID programming for non-origin airfields"
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic