Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestions for 10.2.1.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for 10.2.1.0
    Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:56pm
Now that software 10.2 is released, perhaps a thread on suggestions for the next minor software would be in order?

Last summer, I suggested a method for having an alternative flight plan in the IFD FMS (link below).  My suggestion included a new side tab, which was unpopular with at least one of my fellow forum participants.

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1140&title=alternate-flight-plan-in-the-ifd-fms

Today, I had a new thought.  What if the offending side tabs had the ability to "hide" after a time, the same way the bottom tabs do?

Would that make this idea more palatable?

David Bunin

brou0040 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
Hiding tabs would be nice with user controlled settings for how long to remain.  I'd suggest that they shift the whole flight plan to the right, there is a margin on the right side of the waypoint boxes that seems unused.  All I've seen there is the chart icon box, which could probably be moved left to be able to take advantage of that wasted space.  This would then allow you to keep the tabs all the time and the full flight plan visible.
mkellock View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:05pm
In my humble opinion this is one of the exciting aspects of the IFD100. Avidyne can use that app to play UI elements without having to go through the FAA. They can post all different UI ideas there like "Boeing Banana" and get real feedback from product users. The IFD100 being free to IFD customers is a brilliant move.

There is the IFD100 for flight and the IFD100 for research and development.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
ddgates View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:53pm
I'm not sure that's true. IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY, the IFD 100 runs the same R9 code as the box. To add things to the box would require the FAA's approval.

Great thought though.
David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:06am
While there's nothing stopping Avidyne from creating a non-certified software app to run on tablets, I don't think that's the intent of the IFD100.  As ddgates mentioned, I'm pretty sure there's a common codebase between the IFD 440/540/100 with minimal exceptions.

But maybe they could release an "IFD090" for beta testing / rapid UI prototyping!  :-)
rondawes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:43pm
GDL 88 support please.
paulr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:10pm
Or maybe they could release the IFD100 first. Based on my experience as an iOS developer, it seems less and less likely that the app is still awaiting App Store release if it was truly submitted weeks ago. Even first-time approvals don't normally take that long. I hope there are no snags holding up release.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Or maybe they could release the IFD100 first. Based on my experience as an iOS developer, it seems less and less likely that the app is still awaiting App Store release if it was truly submitted weeks ago. Even first-time approvals don't normally take that long. I hope there are no snags holding up release.

The IFD100 has been released and is available in the app store. Here is the direct link to the app: https://appsto.re/us/m4Eqbb.i

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
LANCE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Awesome! I'm leaving on a flight to Tucson in about an hour - I will try it out
paulr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:22am
That's great news, Simpson! I just got the Sun-n-Fun party invitation from Tom Harper that said "we're celebrating the IFD100" and rushed to the store-- the search function doesn't reveal it yet. 
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:55am
I would like to have an option make the 500' callout to say "500 feet, check gear down"    BH
BH
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:55am
As mentioned in a separate post, when in the Frequency list on the IFD540 I would prefer for the big multi-function knob to move between tabs, and the small multi-fuction knob to scroll down the list of options. At present they both do the same thing, scroll down the list.

Also, I'm digging flying an approach in SVS mode. The little flag that marks the waypoints is brilliant. But, it's unfortunate that the DataBlocks on the right side of the screen disappear when in SVS mode, as I have them set up to display time and distance to next waypoint, etc. Would be nice if the DataBlacks remained on the SVS screen.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:20am
Wookie, the 500' callout is per the TAWS specification.  I don't think they can change it.  But isn't the callout itself enough of a reminder to check your gear?

94S View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by dubs dubs wrote:

...But, it's unfortunate that the DataBlocks on the right side of the screen disappear when in SVS mode, as I have them set up to display time and distance to next waypoint, etc. Would be nice if the DataBlacks remained on the SVS screen.

+1
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
I too missed the datablocks in SVS mode, but I suspect the utility of the mode decreases as the view window decreases.  You keep the datablocks across the top, so perhaps some more options for that top block, and an ability to optionally setup the blocks differently for the SVS screen.
chflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:21am
I don't recall seeing this in the wish list to date, so adding it here.

It would really be nice if two IFD's could sync databases, especially navdata. Would save a lot of issues reported here with loading Jepp updates into 2x boxes. Sounds like Garmin GTN nav boxes can now do this, but not sure.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:33am
Another nice feature would be to update panel IFD's navdata from the IFD100 via wifi. That would allow updating the IFD100 at home with fast internet and be an alternative to using USB.
Vince
comancheguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:51pm
Same as always: 
1)  Animate the XM weather radar  (my 496 can do this...)  
2)  Alternative to Jeppeson.  (hint:  Seattle)   $1K / year for updates is Crazy. 

EVERYTHING else is a nice to have, IMHO. 

Ken
ddgates View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

It would really be nice if two IFD's could sync databases, especially navdata. Would save a lot of issues reported here with loading Jepp updates into 2x boxes. Sounds like Garmin GTN nav boxes can now do this, but not sure.

I like this suggestion a lot.
David Gates
nrproces View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 4:53pm

2)  Alternative to Jeppeson.  (hint:  Seattle)   $1K / year for updates is Crazy. 

This is "THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAIL TO CONSIDER", yes I am yelling Seattle Avionics, a great idea, one that's time has come. Make it so, number one!
Sauce
Leonard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 12:02pm
 Alternative to Jeppeson.  (hint:  Seattle)   $1K / year for updates is Crazy. 

This is "THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAIL TO CONSIDER", yes I am yelling Seattle Avionics, a great idea, one that's time has come. Make it so, number one!
</td>

</tr></t></table>[/QUOTE]
++2

Edited by Leonard - 06 Apr 2017 at 12:04pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:29pm
I have my Destination ETA as one of my top datablocks, and I have noticed that in 10.2 the AM or PM value is riding over top of the time value.  Can this be fixed in 10.2.1?

MarkZ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:06pm
Did someone say something about Seattle Avionics?
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:05am
The IFD's are global boxes. How good is Seattle Avionics global coverage?

Thomas
brou0040 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:38pm
- Seattle Avionics
- Datablocks on the SVS (long press on the map rocker could hide/show the datablock just like the MAP page does now)
- Shift the flight plan to the right so that the MAP label doesn't cover up the approach label, it seems like there is some dead space in the darker gray on the right that isn't being utilized
    - If unable to shift the MAP lable, move it to either the far top or far bottom so it is out of the way
- Fix issues when the missed approach hold is the same waypoint as the IAF of the next approach
    - Stop the IAF from being moved into the missed approach of a previous approach.
    - Fix incorrect missed approach hold indicated altitudes
    - Allow waypoints to be added between approaches
- VLOC Radio broken into VLOC Radio #1 and VLOC Radio # (I'd like to have only one VLOC block in addition to the two com blocks displayed simultaneously)

George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:56pm
NOS rather than Jeppesen charts for the "Charts" Map page
roy32jm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:02am
Include DA or minimums on FMS.

be on time, do what you say, finish what you start, say please and thank you
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

NOS rather than Jeppesen charts for the "Charts" Map page
+1
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

I have my Destination ETA as one of my top datablocks, and I have noticed that in 10.2 the AM or PM value is riding over top of the time value.  Can this be fixed in 10.2.1?

Thanks, it's been added to the list.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
teeth6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 7:20am
The "old" to Waypoint data block has ETE to the waypoint.  The "new" direct to waypoint does not have the ETE.  Can this be added?

Edited by teeth6 - 26 Jun 2017 at 5:37pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:26pm
A suggestion for the exocentric SVS page would be to have the distance rings around the aircraft.  Its possible to scroll in and out but without distance rings, it is not possible to know how far the indicated traffic or obstacles are as far as I can tell.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 10:41pm
FWIW - Each surface square on the SVS page is 1 NM x 1NM. That should give you approximate distances to targets, especially if you are referencing your own shadow and the target's shadow on the SVS page.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:38pm
Very helpful. I did not realize that
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 11:38am
At least put 200ft. callout...nice with single pilot....prob will miss at that point if you don't see anything.

Khuffine
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:06pm
Rather than call out arbitrary heights, how about calling out the MAP itself?

I would really like the ability to import an ICAO format flight plan (via an IFD100 if need be) into a format flyable by the IFD. I dare say other EU/IFPS region operators would like this too
e.g. parse in
(FPL-N2125K-IG
-M20T/L
-SYBDGR/ESB1
-HEGN0825
-N0182F200 HGD V608 AST UP751 KATAB B12 DBA M872 PLH/N0169F110 M872 KFN N732 RIPID
-LGKR0617 LGIR LYTV
-CODE/A1C401 DOF/170512  TOW:1528 TOC:D77F200T0032 TOD:D778F200T0423 BOD:D816F110T0435 TOD:D1066F110T0604 BOD:D1069F110T0605 TOD:D1069F110T0605 DAL:D1103ADLGKR TAXI:5 RVR/550 PBN/A1B2C2D2O2S1
-E/0904 P/002 R/VE J/L D/01 004 C YELLOW A/WHITE AND BLACK)
and strip out the irrelevant stuff (CODE/RVR etc) but process the origin, route, climbs, descents and destination.

Another wish would be to use/publish a standard for "User defined" charts, which would be used when either Jepp doesn't provide one but it is loaded and made available from another source (eg Skydemon uses the AIP charts and manages to geo-reference them) or when there is no Jepp sub for the area
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 11:23am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

The "old" to Waypoint data block has ETE to the waypoint.  The "new" direct to waypoint does not have the ETE.  Can this is added?

All Datablocks with BRG information should have ETE to the waypoint, and please: with "min:sec"!

Chimes also for next leg please.

Klaus
brou0040 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 9:34am
- When you hit the FREQ button after being on the MAP page, MAP tab, when you hit the MAP button to go back to the MAP page/tab you left off from, it swipes the tab left or right depending on what side of the rocker you hit, but it won't go back to where you left off.  It would be nice to default to going back to where you left off.

- If you have the FPL tab view set to CURSOR from the last time you were building a flight plan, but are on the MAP page MAP tab, if you hit NRST, it jumps to show you the nearest airports to where your cursor is rather than where you are.  I suggest defaulting the NRST button to your current location and either use the blank LSK to allow you to select cursor centered or use the blank LSK to allow you to toggle through the waypoints if desired.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:30pm
As I recall, there is some logic to the NRST button that it goes to your current position on the first press, but then your destination location on the second press.  Are you sure you didn't press the button twice while accessing the feature?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:08pm
Ah, I see what is going on.  The data for the airports may be as you stated, current position on first press and then destination on second, but the map view is based on the FPL tab view setting.  So although you may get the correct data, if you have the FPL view set to CURSOR, the map jumps to the cursor so unless your cursor is near your current position, you won't see any airports highlighted when you hit the NRST button.  I still suggest having the MAP view default to your current position when you hit the NRST button (and to your destination when you hit it a second time) so that the highlighted airports are visible on the map.
chflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:31am
I would like to request that support for RF legs be added.

Is there any current plan to add this to a follow-on release to 10.2.1? I realize that 10.2.1 has been set in stone for a long time and RF support in it is unlikely.

I understand that this has a separate test template in Appendix 7 of AC 20-138, and was omitted from the original IFD testing to speed up the original certification process. However there is an increasing number of IAP, START, & SID with RF legs but without AR (Authorization Required), and these are very interesting for GA aircraft.

Other than the testing in App 7, the only RF prerequisite that I can find in 20-138 is that the box meet the Ch 8 RNP Approach & Ch 9 RNP 1.0 (terminal) requirements, which it appears the IFD does per the AFM.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 6:48am
As an update to the above request for RF leg support, I've seen a quote from Garmin indicating that RF legs are supported with Software 6.0 (I assume this is for GTN boxes, but that wasn't mentioned).

So my GTN colleagues are ahead of us Avidyne pilots on this.... a shame!
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Since 10.2.1.0 is now out, perhaps time to take the items on this list that didn't make it and start a new one.

Before doing that, perhaps one of the new Avidyne team members can comment on the status of my pet peeve, being RF leg support. See previous posts above for the discussion.

In a first instance, it would be nice to have an explanation from Steve of why this is a big deal. The IFD540 AFM indicates that RNAV 1 is supported, and I seem to recall that the issues getting New Zealand RNAV 1 approaches into the navdata were resolved.

There are a number of approaches and departures in Europe that require RF but are NOT AR. A couple examples are Zurich LSZH VEBIT1K RWY 34 RNAV 1 SID and Strasbourg LFST RNAV(GNSS) RWY 05 neither of which are in the IFD540 navdata. I have more.

And as mentioned, apparently the GTN's do support this.

Edited by chflyer - 13 Mar 2018 at 11:04am
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Since 10.2.1.0 is now out, perhaps time to take the items on this list that didn't make it and start a new one.

Before doing that, perhaps one of the new Avidyne team members can comment on the status of my pet peeve, being RF leg support. See previous posts above for the discussion.

In a first instance, it would be nice to have an explanation from Steve of why this is a big deal. The IFD540 AFM indicates that RNAV 1 is supported, and I seem to recall that the issues getting New Zealand RNAV 1 approaches into the navdata were resolved.

There are a number of approaches and departures in Europe that require RF but are NOT AR. A couple examples are Zurich LSZH VEBIT1K RWY 34 RNAV 1 SID and Strasbourg LFST RNAV(GNSS) RWY 05 neither of which are in the IFD540 navdata. I have more.

And as mentioned, apparently the GTN's do support this.
RF legs are a pet peeve of mine too.  Support for RF legs was designed into the system from the very beginning of its development - all the way back to R9 days.  We had them way before brand G.  The software still supports them and if we were allowed to include them in the database, they would work just fine.  From a software perspective, they are exactly like a DME arc.  So the problem is regulatory, not technical.  We just have some significant flight tests to do and I think we'll end up having to add a datablock in order to meet the newest regs.  It's in the plan for the next release, but it's behind the leg combination fixes that are the pet peeve of brou0040.  If everything else for 10.3 is ready before we've had time to complete RF leg work, though, support for RF legs will slip to the release after that.

I started a "Suggestions for 10.3" thread, so have at it...  http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1481&PID=18203&#18203
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm
BTW, since 10.2.1 is now released and I created a similar 10.3 thread, I'm locking this topic so you won't be able to make other posts to it.  See you on the other thread!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic