Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jepp data download difficulty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jepp data download difficulty
    Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
I've not been able to download Jepp data to the IFD 100 app that I just installed today. It appears that I am successfully logging in to the Jepp servers on the Update Navigation Databases initial page when opening IFD 100. The messages in the bottom status line read "logging in..." then "requesting Jeppesen services..." then either "unknown error" or "Requesting Avidyne services..." then "The request timed out." I'm not able to get to the Database Download Page in the IFD 100 software.

I've tried two different networks for access to the Internet. Since I successfully downloaded the IFD 100 and also updated my IFD 540 files over these connections, I think these networks are not the cause of the problem.

Jepp says it is an Avidyne problem. Called Avidyne but no knowledge of IFD 100 at the southern office. Rolando transferred me to Simpson's phone where I left a message.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:26am
The IFD100 has been so popular that it crashed our hosting site for some of the data. We are working to bring it back online. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the call Todd!
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:23pm
The site is back online and should be functioning as before.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

The IFD100 has been so popular that it crashed our hosting site for some of the data. We are working to bring it back online. I will keep everyone posted.

LOL.  That is why I am very deliberately waiting to download it.  I'll let everyone else sort out the issues and learn the best-practices.

Then I'll give it a whack.

David Bunin
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:20am
I posted issues with charts data in the 540 forum section but I see this is a better place.   My electronic charts do not show up in the Jepp portal, however I do have the full Avidyne subscription with electronic charts.  I called Jepp and was told that I need to spend another $247 to get charts.

Simpson, can you clarify.
Al

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:30am
I wish I could. My understanding from Jeppesen is that if you have the chart subscription for your 540, you have it available on the IFD100.

I will follow up with our Jeppesen contact. 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

... My understanding from Jeppesen is that if you have the chart subscription for your 540, you have it available on the IFD100.

I will follow up with our Jeppesen contact. 

Hi Simpson-

Your follow-up will be much appreciated. The Jeppesen bundle that I have for my 540 includes charts, but does not include JeppFD. I have not been able to get charts on the IFD100. The pricing and options structure for Jeppsen data products is always somewhat inscrutable, but any light you can shed will be welcome.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:03pm
Guys and Gals.. i tried to download the jepp data for the 440 after 10.2 install. i had a problem with data compatability since I had already loaded 1704 before the new 10.2.. They said that they added the change to my account and JDM program before the download.The 440 had an error and I noticed it loaded 1701 on the refresh from jepp. When they gave me the refresh again a new pop up from jepp came up to download a new version of JDM...After new program was added it downloaded into my USB and into the 440 with no errors. Be sure the data bases update is current on the ipad IFD100 app and the Jepp data on the 440 for it to work as advertised. Just a heads up after several trips home and back to the airport...Save gas..do it right the first time... Jepp was very cordial by the way...KH
Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:05pm
Oppps ...Failed to mention this was on a MAC!!!!
Khuffine
Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:40am
I have downloaded the app. I had one key of my 4 Jeppesen license keys made available by Jepessen. I did this because the IFD100 app always said 'no seats available' when i tried to download the Jepessen charts. Well guess what, it STILL says no seats available...
Somebody else with this issue?

Edited by Mooneyfan - 12 Apr 2017 at 9:41am
thtrottermd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thtrottermd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:14am
I'm not sure where to post this, but maybe this is a good place...  I had 2 IFD 440's installed and a complete Avidyne panel in my Cirrus and, like everyone else, I was anxiously awaiting the release of 10.2 and the IFD100 application.  I believed (and was repeatedly told even before I had the IFD440's installed in June 2016 continuing to the present) that the IFD100 would be able to be used to fly approaches with the charts installed.  I even went through a fair amount of gymnastics to get my Jeppessen serial number changed so I could download the charts as a part of the Jeppessen subscription (and paid $250 more for the charts).  So, imagine my frustration when I was still unable to load the charts on my IFD100 application even with a new serial number and the whole new C-Max code machinations and after another round of calls to Jeppessen they told me that I would never be able to see approach charts on the IFD100 with my twin IFD440's.  The only way that charts can be seen on the IFD100 is if you have an IFD540 installed.  Is this really true?  Have others been able to get approach charts on the IFD100 with IFD440's?  Honestly, had I known that I couldn't use IFD100 technology that was planned when I put in my 440's, I might have gone a different route -- it was an expensive upgrade to not be able utilize the neat stuff in the IFD100.  Any ideas?  I guess I'm glad I have a Stratus and ForeFlight...  

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 6:20pm
My recollection all along had been that a 540 or 550 with Jepp subscription would be needed to view IFD100 Jepp charts.
Tom W
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:11pm
Get a G-696, mount it on the yoke, order & load the IAPs for your regions at a fraction of the the cost for panel mount subscriptions, you get full size geo-referenced plates+++ right in front of you, and your $1300-$1500 cost will be paid back in no time with the savings.
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

Get a G-696, mount it on the yoke...

Well, a 796 might be a better bet. Personally I think it is one of the best bargains in aviation today, for what it can provide. Main downside is the cartoonish and multi-level deep G-style user interface.

BTW, if you have the Jepp bundle, adding charts to a 796-like device costs about $50/yr, depending on what areas you have.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Apr 2017 at 8:39pm
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:50pm
796 is a great option too - same size screen plus touch screen with pinch zoom. 

When we installed our 540, we had the shop put a 4-pin connector in the panel for the 696.  Two for power/ground and two for data plus a switch to disconnect the data lines.  The 696 runs on a/c power when the master's on and the 540 automatically loads the current flight plan to the 696 unless the data switch is off - works great.  Don't know enough about the 796's interface options to know if it can also do this.  The great part is full size geo-referenced approach plates right on the yoke with the 540 showing SVS. (:>)
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 11:49pm
The 796 has a second input/output COM port, so that facilitates some other connections. I have it dump information to my SL-30 as well.

I have mine mounted in a gizmo mount, canted 15*, in the copilot stack. Works there for me. The biggest screen in aviation, short of the giant R9s and the like.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2017 at 4:39pm
thtrottermd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thtrottermd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:32am
There are lots of alternatives (actually Stratus2 and ForeFlight are really, really hard to beat and <$1000) -- what I'm wondering is if there is anyone out there with an IFD440 who can see georeferenced approach charts that are "synced" with the IFD440 via the IFD100 application. If you are out there, maybe you'll share that double/triple top secret info so I can make mine work. If you aren't, I fear the info that I got from Jep may be right and instead of 2 IFD440's I should have had an IFD540 put in (would have required a different remote transponder and cost even more, but...). Any help?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:10pm
Simpson, I could sure use an update on the official line on chart download behavior. Jepp is now telling me that, despite having purchased the Avidyne bundle, and despite having had charts and navdata on my IFD540 and IFD100, that I shouldn't have access on the IFD100 without buying the extra package.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic