Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long time to get GPS signal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long time to get GPS signal
    Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 12:06pm
The last two times I've gone flying it's taken about 3 minutes from startup to acquire a GPS signal on my IFD540. This is a LOT longer than it used to take - does this mean I might have a problem somewhere?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:48pm
Are you running 10.2?
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:52pm
I have seen this as well.  All of my other GPS's (Dual, 496) have a sgnal, but the 540s show yellow.  They usually don't go green until takeoff.     This is fine, VFR, but it worries me on an IFR departure.  With only a GPS approach back in.  

I noticed it after the 10.2 upgrade, also.  No change from 10.1.1.0.

Anyone know what is up with this? 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 01 Apr 2017 at 5:59pm
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
FWIW, I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet.

I searched the web since I posted this and have found several instances of the Garmin antennas going bad, so I wonder if that might be what's happening?
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 5:44pm
I just installed a new IFD540 (S/W ver. 10.2) today, using the existing Garmin antenna.  It seemed to take a bit longer to acquire the GPS system than the Garmin generally did, but I attributed it to the fact that it was acquiring from a new location.  I will time it tomorrow.  Incidentally, the installation went great and the setup was relatively easy.  My only issue seems to be my GDL69 weather interface.  It seems I have an earlier version of the GLD69 software that the IFD does not interface with.

George 
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:02pm
My IFD540 has taken what I perceived as a long time to acquire only three times.  The very first time when we installed it, the very first time we powered it on out of the hangar after returning it for the hardware update service bulletin that was needed for the first units, and the very first time after installing 10.2.   On a normal power up, with a decent sense of the time, an accurate location, and recent ephemerides stored for the GPS constellation, it acquires reasonably quickly.  Change any of those, I would expect it to take longer.   If I haven't flown for a while, it seems to take a little longer, but not as long as those three times.

But I didn't time any of the acquisitions.   Maybe someone who has not yet done the 10.2 update can time their last acquisition before the update, and the first acquisition after the update.

Edited by AzAv8r - 01 Apr 2017 at 6:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:03pm
I have one Garmin antenna from my 530W, and my second is new Avidyne antenna.   So, that doesn't seem like it.  

It doesn't seem to go from GPS to GPS until I take off.  I'll have to watch next time and see EXACTLY when it go green.   Maybe this is working as designed.  I may have to RTFM...

Ken

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:04pm
Just to clarify...did you have an active flight plan in the FMS prior to T/O? Without an active flight plan prior to T/O, I believe this normal IFD behavior.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:19pm
I believe this is normal. When I enter a flight plan, the GPS stays yellow until I takeoff or activate the plan. Once I do either of those, it goes green.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:59pm
Press the Activate line select key as soon as you finish entering the flight plan. Then the GPS indicator will be green from the start. (Unless there's no GPS reception.)

Mike

Edited by mfb - 01 Apr 2017 at 7:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:09pm
Interesting!  

I'll experiment.  I'm flying in the morning. 

Ken
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
And another thing.... If you want to find out what the GPS receiver is really doing, go to the AUX-SYS page and press the Select line select key until it shows Select GPS. That will bring up the GPS status page.

I got fooled on one of my early flights with the IFD540. I didn't activate the flight plan, so the GPS caption stayed yellow. I was convinced that the GPS failed until I took off and it magically fixed itself by activating sutomatically. Now it's on my pre-takeoff checklist.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
The more that I think about this, I am positive that you are correct.  The yellow just means, "I am not guiding you"  Not, "I don't know where we are".   Once the Flight plan is activated.  It goes green.  

Thanks.  

Ken

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by bcool bcool wrote:

FWIW, I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet.

10.1.3 fixed a GPS lock issue for some people depending on location. 10.2 should take care of it for sure
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

The more that I think about this, I am positive that you are correct.  The yellow just means, "I am not guiding you"  Not, "I don't know where we are".   Once the Flight plan is activated.  It goes green.  

Yes, that's correct.  

One way to tell at a glance that the IFD has a good GPS lock is when you start to taxi and the TRK changes from a red X to a number matching your taxi direction.  Since that number is derived from trending GPS location fixes over time, if that number makes sense, then the IFD is getting good GPS solutions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic