Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"AviCurve" screen brightness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "AviCurve" screen brightness
    Posted: 04 May 2017 at 8:45am
Last night I changed the lighting configuration, on something of a whim, to the "AviCurve" and found that it ... well... doesn't work.   The display dims, but then comes on 100% bright again.   This was easily repeatable by simply putting a finger over the light sensor or by turning down the dimming bus depending on what the unit was set to track.

Using the "proportional" dimming curve works as expected, so I put it back to that and all is well, but thought I'd drop a note in the forum here in case anyone else ran across this puzzler.

10.2, BTW.
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:13am
Avidyne decided to mirror the G setup for screen/panel dimming, but then added the AviCurve to try to fix it up a bit. I never could get it to work sensibly, so just left it at proportional as well.

It might have been better if they had created a clean slate scheme from scratch.

* Orest

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:53am
Maybe it's dependent upon aircraft lighting controls.  I have tried various settings, and in my plane, I found AviCurve works better than the alternatives.  Fiddling with that setting though is well worth it, until you find what settings works for you.
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Maybe it's dependent upon aircraft lighting controls.  I have tried various settings, and in my plane, I found AviCurve works better than the alternatives.  Fiddling with that setting though is well worth it, until you find what settings works for you.

It wasn't so much that it didn't dim the display - it did...then after a second or so it went to full bright.   I don't think it's dependant upon aircraft lighting controls as it happened using the built-in photo sensor as well.

I think it's another bug in the IFD software.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Catani,

Can you post the values (or even better just a pic) of your IFD lighting page?

Always interested in fiddling.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 May 2017 at 12:15pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by bradthepilot bradthepilot wrote:

It wasn't so much that it didn't dim the display - it did...then after a second or so it went to full bright.

Set the DimBus Transition to 0%, or very low. That usually addresses that.

* Orest

bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by bradthepilot bradthepilot wrote:

It wasn't so much that it didn't dim the display - it did...then after a second or so it went to full bright.

Set the DimBus Transition to 0%, or very low. That usually addresses that.

* Orest

Yes, I thought I tried that (it is specifically called out in the installation manual) but might double check.   In any event, it works and I'm inclined to leave it that way.   More pressing is the module to carry fuel computer information from the Dynon Skyview to the IFD.

Edited by bradthepilot - 04 May 2017 at 12:52pm
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:39pm

Catani,

Can you post the values (or even better just a pic) of your IFD lighting page?

Always interested in fiddling.

* Orest

Here ya go, I think this is what you wanted.  I've done quite a bit of night flying with this setup with no issues, but I have not flown at night since I upgraded to 10.2 from 10.1  Hopefully, that didn't change anything.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 6:12pm
Thanks, will check it out.

What operational advantage did you see with the Avicurve mode?

* Orest
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 6:25pm

Thanks, will check it out.

What operational advantage did you see with the Avicurve mode?

* Orest
I did it so long ago I don't remember exactly.  I do recall changing the Lighting Setup in Maintenance Mode from the default after reading the manual, and then testing it one night and finding things totally unsat.  I fiddled with user settings and with my aircraft lighting rheostats, but was not satisfied.  Back on the ground, I fiddled with the Lighting setup in maintenance mode that evening until finding AviCurve, which is where it may have been to start with for all I know.  After that, everything has worked as I expect it to, and it responds to my aircraft instrument lighting rheostat.  Haven't had to fiddle with it since.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:46pm
Another glitch with v10.2 - 

Maybe this has been reported, but I noticed the "Local: time on my 540's doesn't coincide with the UTC-Offset.  Instead of 11 AM, it was displaying 04:00... and changing the Offset had no effect.

Any cure for this?

Tom W.

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Maybe this has been reported, but I noticed the "Local: time on my 540's doesn't coincide with the UTC-Offset.  Instead of 11 AM, it was displaying 04:00... and changing the Offset had no effect.

Any cure for this?

Tom W.

The time should have automatically updated when you received GPS lock. Are you not receiving GPS information?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:47am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Any cure for this?

Tom W.

Thanks for reply.

The time should have automatically updated when you received GPS lock. Are you not receiving GPS information?
Simultaneous UTC was correct and I had no loss of GPS lock in other functions... did not think to re-boot, but will observe again next flight.

Tom W..
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:37am
I know folks have reported issues with time offset not having an effect (or not being able to change it?) on IFD100s, but this is the first I've seen someone report a problem on a 540.
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:52am
Trying to tweak the auto brightness settings on my 540... it's not quite bright enough at night. I can't find the screen shown in Orest's post above. Has that been changed in 10.2? All I can find is the screen shown in Setup, User Options LSK, which shows "Bezel Mode... Auto", "Display Mode... Auto", etc. Has the screen showing AviCurve and other options been removed, or... how do I get to it??
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by frankbell frankbell wrote:

... I can't find the screen shown in Orest's post above. Has that been changed in 10.2? All I can find is the screen shown in Setup, User Options LSK, which shows "Bezel Mode..

You need to go into the maintenance pages, the same place where you update your databases. Does that help?

* Orest
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:45pm
Yes, that helped, thanks. But...

Setting my unit in exactly the same way as posted above, it seems to operate backwards!  That is, in the dark, the display is full bright. When I point a flashlight at it, simulating daylight, it goes dim...

what the hey...??!!

Is there a something somewhere that details what each parameter does, so I'd know how to fiddle with it?
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:42pm
pages 104 thru 107 of installation manual 600-00299-000.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
FWIW, though I tried it, I don't use avicurve. I did post my proportional mode settings on the forums here.

* Orest
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:21pm
Thanks, but how would I find a copy of that install manual 600-00299-000? A google search doesn't find it, so far as I can see...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:00pm
Go to the main Avidyne website, and drill down through Support, and then Downloads. All the softcopy manuals are there.

There you can grab the latest PG and install manual for the IFD family.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Nov 2017 at 10:02pm
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:45pm
Thanks... maybe I'm just blind, but I can't find any specific info on the parameters listed on the maintenance Main Lighting page. Any more help is appreciated.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:11am
Maintenance and setup information is found in the Installation Manual for the avionics shop, not the Pilot's Guide.

Like Orest, I ultimately decided that manual brightness control was the answer.  That is easily done from the AUX screens while flying.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

....Like Orest, I ultimately decided that manual brightness control was the answer.  That is easily done from the AUX screens while flying.

I'm too lazy for that. Backed off on the Avi-Curve, but I am using the light sensor driven proportional mode dimming for bezel and screen.  My current lighting settings are (re)posted below.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Nov 2017 at 9:07am
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:38am
I've used the settings above and find it doesn't get bright enough on the display in daylight. Is it because with the bus turned off (like you would in the daytime) it thinks it needs to be dim?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:48pm
It is plenty bright for me.

You can play with the photo minimum and slope if you want to brigthen it further.

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Dec 2017 at 9:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic