Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 Remote mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvela90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 Remote mode
    Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 10:50pm

Anyone using Skyradar with an IFDx40 in remote mode with WingX and the IFD100 app? I am now doubting that I actually saw that configuration work but now it sure does not.  WingX gets traffic from Skyradar but the IFD100 can't connect to the IFDx40. I even upgraded to the latest IFD100 version and still does not work. Switching to local works as intended.

And I did power off the navigator between WiFi configuration changes. I noticed a reboot would not switch between local/remote without a complete power off. 

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 1:35am
I tried using the the "remote" mode with my Lynx NGT-9000 and FltPlanGo Android with no luck. Switched back to "Local" mode and FltPlanGo Android picked up the IFD540 no problem, once the LIO Wifi was selected.
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
Today I tried with mine without success. I did learn the skyradar is old 802.11b variety so maybe that has something to do with it as well.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 11:50pm
Hi 

I am having the same problem (IFD540 - SkyRadar Dx).

I "listened" to the Wifi, using  a Wifi sniffer (Wireshark, running on a Mac) and found out that actually the IFD540 does negotiate and gets associated and authenticated by SkyRadar.  

However, right after the SkyRadar DHCP server issues an IP address to the IFD540, e.g. 192.168.1.13, the IFD540 sends a "DEAUTHENTICATE" frame and drops off line.  This cycle repeats every 15 seconds or so.

I have emailed the captured traces showing the issue to tech support who has forwarded them to Engineering.

BTW, I also tried connecting the IFD540 to my phone's hot spot, but the captured trace shows the same behavior, i.e. right after the DCHP server issues the IP, in this case 192.168.43.225, the IFD540 says "good night".

I believe that they should be able to easily duplicate this in the lab.  Just use an Android phone's hot spot, mine is an LG.   

If nothing else, someone should look at the WiFi software and figure out from the traces, what is it that the IFD does not like from the SkyRadar or the Hot Spot, that it causes it to send a "DEAUTHENTICATE" frame.

Anxiously waiting for Engineering to respond

Gene Allevato
Gene
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 12:52am
That is some pretty good sleuthing.

* Orest
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 4:29am
Thank you.  I just tried another setup. This time a home TP-Link WiFi router and the same thing happens.  The IFD 540 drops out after association.

I hope that they did not design the Remote -WiFi to only work with Stratus boxes.

Gene
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by eallevato eallevato wrote:

...I hope that they did not design the Remote -WiFi to only work with Stratus boxes.

Gene
Don't think the IFD's remote wifi is limited only to Stratus.  My Lynx 9000's wifi network sends traffic and weather info to my iPad running ForeFlight.  My IFD440 can log in to the Lynx's network as a client, like my iPad, just fine.  While both are on the Lynx network, the IFD and FF can "see" each other, and I am able to send and receive flight plans in both directions to or from the IFD and ForeFlight, using the Lynx's wifi network.  Fortunately, I am not experiencing the "deauthentication" issue that you are.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 2:38pm

Thank you.  I just tried another setup. ...

You may have a hardware issue.

* Orest

eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:42am
Some more debugging.

Pulled the 540 out of the plane and took it to my lab.  I built a cable with a connector going to P1002 pins 2,3,8,9 (Ethernet TX+/-, RX +/-) and the other end has a RJ-45 connector.

Powered up the 540 and tried REMOTE WIFI to a TPLink Wifi Access point(WAP).  No luck. 540 gets IP address and drops out.

Second try was REMOTE WIRED DHCP, where we connected the cable to the LAN port on the TPLink WAP, same deal right after it gets DHCP, 540 drops out.

Third try was REMOTE WIRED STATIC, with the cable still connected between the  540 and the WAP, where we manually entered an IP address that is the the range that the TPLink is on.  Lo and behold I got a Green WiFi icon!!!  I was able to connect FlyQ thru the TPLink to the 540.

I am 100% sure that this is a software problem.  Of course, us hardware types always say, "Once the hardware is out the door, all problems are software".

Gene Allevato

BTW, I tried inserting images of the setup (less than 1 MB), without success, kept getting internal server error.

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 10:36am
I think you need a good GPS signal for all of this to work. I tried mine in the hangar and couldn't get it to work. After pulling it outside it worked well.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

I think you need a good GPS signal for all of this to work. I tried mine in the hangar and couldn't get it to work. After pulling it outside it worked well.

I don't think that is the case, otherwise test # 3 (REMOTE WIRED STATIC) would not have worked.  

I was inside my lab for all 3 tests and there was no GPS fix and when I configured the 540 for REMOTE WIRED STATIC and manually assigned the IP address, the 540 connected to the TPLink WAP successfully.

Gene

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm

Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

I don't think that is the case, otherwise test # 3 (REMOTE WIRED STATIC) would not have worked.  

I was inside my lab for all 3 tests and there was no GPS fix and when I configured the 540 for REMOTE WIRED STATIC and manually assigned the IP address, the 540 connected to the TPLink WAP successfully.

Gene

I suspect that the seeming correlation between lack of GPS signal and nonworking WIFI is purely coincidental. There could be any number of other factors at play in the hanger environment, including for instance spurious RF bouncing around and causing inteference with the WIFI signal, the impact of the metal structure on the WIFI signal itself (i.e. self-interference), RF interference from the external power source being used to power the plane while testing the WIFI, random objects within the hanger environment, etc.

WIFI is often not all that robust to begin with, and reviewing posts in this forum suggests that Avidyne has had its share of challenges getting the WIFI to operate reliably in the IFD 400/500 series. So anything that causes even a little interference to the WIFI signal may explain why you aren't getting acceptable results until the airlane is pulled out of the hanger, which of course you would also have to do to get a GPS signal.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 23 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 11:31pm
I concur with AZFlyer.  

The fact that the REMOTE WIRED DHCP did not work, but REMOTE WIRED STATIC did work, speaks volumes that the issue is not with the WiFi module itself, but a more fundamental issue.

Still cannot upload pictures, so here is a link to my Dropbox account:

Gene

eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:36pm
Heard back from Tech support and here is what Engineering said:

"I had a SkyRadar delivered here and tested it with 10.2.1 and it worked. 
However, we found an issue that could prevent the connection from being 
established in some cases. Usually a power cycle will fix the problem. We have a 
fix and will be releasing a 10.2.2 update shortly."

Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic