Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreflight 9.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreflight 9.2
    Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
Earlier this week when my Garmin Pilot subscription ran out, I took the plunge and subscribed to Foreflight, I thought I would have to get a Stratus 2 or better for AHRS and flight plan transfer, but it turns out that my Garmin GDL39 3D works well for AHRS and ADS-B in (plus I have the Skytrax) and the Avidyne WIFI works well for the flight plan transfer. So far I really like the logic and simplicity of Foreflight.

I got an e-mail this morning that FF 9.2 was out and that the Jeppesen integration was complete. Just to see what it would cost I updated the FF and signed on to Jepp through FF. It turns out I still had one license remaining so I get Jepp charts at no additional cost. Can't beat that!!

Edited by LANCE - 13 Jul 2017 at 6:38pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 5:43pm
Out of curiosity, what plan do you have with Jepp?   When Avidyne came out with the IFD 100 I was disappointed to see that charts did not appear on the IFD 100 IPad app.  I was told it was because I needed to upgrade my Jepp subscription to a higher suite even though I had charts for the full U.S. 
Now that the new FF came out, I am again being told that my subscription will not allow charts on FF unless I pay another 270 to upgrade my Jepp subscription.  It seems that even though I have full U.S. coverage, it does not allow use on other devices besides the 540s.  Strange!!

Edited by teeth6 - 12 Jul 2017 at 8:36pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:23pm
I have Nav and charts on my IFD550

Edited by LANCE - 12 Jul 2017 at 6:27pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:01pm
I'm confused by this too. I have charts on the IFD100 but when I sign in to my Jepp account in Foreflight it says I have no additional devices. I emailed the FF+Jepp support address to ask what's what.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:06pm
Are you using local or remote mode?  I got remote to work for a few minutes last month using the Stratus as the hotspot.and IFD 100 worked. Never got FF to handshake.  Now the only way IFD100 or FF will work is to be in local mode.  I have Fing on my Ipad and saw both of my 440's but now there's no sign of them unless I'm local and they are the hotspot.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:34pm
Since I am not using a Stratus I use wi-fi local to Foreflight.

(Simultaneously, I use the Garmin GDL39 3D on Bluetooth for ADS-B Traffic and Weather on Foreflight. I use the Skytrax 100 to put weatehr and traffic on the IFD550.)

Edited by LANCE - 12 Jul 2017 at 8:36pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I'm confused by this too. I have charts on the IFD100 but when I sign in to my Jepp account in Foreflight it says I have no additional devices. I emailed the FF+Jepp support address to ask what's what.

They may show you using Jepp View, which you can cancel and go with Foreflight.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:20am
When I log into jeppdirect, it shows me with no subscriptions and no order history, despite the fact that I have an invoice from two months ago showing a large purchase (and that I can log into JDM and download the next cycle). So time to email them and ask what's going on.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:48am

When I log into jeppdirect, it shows me with no subscriptions and no order history, despite the fact that I have an invoice from two months ago showing a large purchase (and that I can log into JDM and download the next cycle). So time to email them and ask what's going on.

Same here - my screen shot above is from an invoice, not their website, which leaves a lot to be desired. But they are actually really good on the phone. If you call you can see how many "seats" you have and many replace one that is being used by Foreflight.

Edited by LANCE - 13 Jul 2017 at 8:49am
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:49am
I was told yesterday that the subscription info couldn't be seen because they were doing maintenance on the system.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:40pm
I got email back from Jepp. Their explanation is that the Avidyne bundle supports 4 devices. You can use the IFD100 or FF for any 1 of these device slots. Since I share my airplane with 2 other co-owners, between the 4 of us we get to have 1 panel and 4 total devices. I guess each of us will have to decide whether we want navdata + charts on the IFD100 or FF.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:00pm
I would have loved to try out the Jepp charts on the IFD100 / IFD550 but can't justify spending the extra Several hundred dollars.  I just use my FF charts that I've been used to anyway.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:07pm
My "Avidyne Bundle" doesn't support even that.  For almost $1000 I get two 540s.  No ifd100.  :(

Ken

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 3:35pm

I got email back from Jepp. Their explanation is that the Avidyne bundle supports 4 devices. You can use the IFD100 or FF for any 1 of these device slots. Since I share my airplane with 2 other co-owners, between the 4 of us we get to have 1 panel and 4 total devices. I guess each of us will have to decide whether we want navdata + charts on the IFD100 or FF.

Or buy one iPad dedicated to the airplane with both with an unlimited data plan.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:03pm
... after all those Avidyne promises that the IFD100 got the charts that were on the IFD540 at no extra charge .... I remember a lot of exchanges on this a year ago when we thought it was too good to be true and Avidyne just said to have faith and believe them .... well, our scepticism was more realistic than Avidyne's promises and it really was too good to be true....

Vince
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

... after all those Avidyne promises that the IFD100 got the charts that were on the IFD540 at no extra charge .... I remember a lot of exchanges on this a year ago when we thought it was too good to be true and Avidyne just said to have faith and believe them .... well, our scepticism was more realistic than Avidyne's promises and it really was too good to be true....

I have charts on the 550 and got charts on the IFD100 at no extra charge, just as promised.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:38pm
+1
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:58pm
+2
David Gates
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:03pm
I have charts on the IFD540. I do not have them on the IFD100.

Actually, I do have them on the 100 but they're marked as "NOT FOR NAVIGATION" so I assume they're an artifact of downloading the initial sample data set. I don't see charts as a data item when I log in to the Jepp download screen of the IFD100 app.

In another thread, I asked AviSimpson to point to something official that I could take to Jepp to check what I'm supposed to have. If any of you have such a reference, I'd like to see it.

What I've learned from this is that Jepp is like your local car dealer or airline: two identical Chevys or coach seats may be sold for wildly different pricing, and the seller can't or won't explain why or help you understand it.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
I was having difficulties to begin with, but I went back and following the instructions again and it worked. 

Edited by LANCE - 13 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 4:45pm

I have charts on the IFD540. I do not have them on the IFD100.

Actually, I do have them on the 100 but they're marked as "NOT FOR NAVIGATION" so I assume they're an artifact of downloading the initial sample data set. I don't see charts as a data item when I log in to the Jepp download screen of the IFD100 app.

In another thread, I asked AviSimpson to point to something official that I could take to Jepp to check what I'm supposed to have. If any of you have such a reference, I'd like to see it.

What I've learned from this is that Jepp is like your local car dealer or airline: two identical Chevys or coach seats may be sold for wildly different pricing, and the seller can't or won't explain why or help you understand it.
After I saw your email, I called the representative you were working with at Jepp to make sure we are all on the same page. 

The IFD100 (as well the new ForeFlight update) need a subscription from Jepp that includes mobile licenses. The most common one we hear customers subscribe to is the IFR Services Suite Plus, which includes 4 mobile licenses and covers everything Avidyne in the aircraft.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 5:23pm
They have version 9.2.1 just out that apparently fixes a problem with the charts

https://twitter.com/ForeFlight/status/885970316832452610
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 6:24am
I'm happy for you guys that have a reasonably priced Jepp package including IFD540/IFD100 charts.

I've just ordered the Europe IFR/VFR Jeppesen charts in ForeFlight, which also include a set of NA (USA or Canada) FF charts. I don't get charts on the IFD's with that, as mentioned by Simpson, but the additional cost to get those via a Jepp mobile subscription would be well over $600. Having charts on the Avidyne IFD's just isn't worth that much extra to me. It's a good deal for Jeppesen but not for me nor is it a selling point for Avidyne at that price point.

In any case, Jeppesen won't quote both IFR and VFR charts on the IFD's and I get that on FF for much less than would be with a pure Jeppesen subscription anyway.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
Yes, whenever I'm about to cry in my beer about aviation data prices for Cdn pilots, I think of how much our Euro friends get hosed on this.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic