Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seattle Avionics Alternative to Jeppesen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEisert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:28pm
I would love an alternative to jeppesen. Used Seattle Avionics EFB for years and love their service.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:44pm
I've seen several claims that SA does not/cannot provide certified chart or nav data that is legal for IFR flight. Their press release on the new BendixKing xVue Touch sure makes it look like they think they can provide that data. What am I missing here?
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:34pm
they are providing charts which are images. That is all.

NavData is entirely different. The files break down the IAPs waypoint by waypoint among other things and must be formatted to the Avidyne processing structure.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:28pm
Thank you-- that's the distinction I was missing.
timfwalsh01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timfwalsh01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:59pm
WOW!!

I was just in the process of selling my 430W for the IFD440.  I currently pay $299 for the NAVDATA for my 430W from Garmin.  I previously used Jepp, and Garmin is now an option and cheaper.

I fly with a Dynon Skyview in my Velocity and I have a lifetime subscription with Seattle Avionics.  I also fly with Foreflight.

The cost of the Jepp NAVDATA, and plates on the IFD100 (Geo Synch Approach Plates) are too much.  I will not upgrade.

I have three other Velocity owners who were also looking to upgrade.  BUMMER  Tim
Tim Walsh
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:34pm
 A 430W, versus a 440 + IFD100 are not in any sense, equivalent.

But, whatever works for you.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Apr 2018 at 2:21am
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:29am
Originally posted by timfwalsh01 timfwalsh01 wrote:

WOW!!

I was just in the process of selling my 430W for the IFD440.  I currently pay $299 for the NAVDATA for my 430W from Garmin.  I previously used Jepp, and Garmin is now an option and cheaper.

I fly with a Dynon Skyview in my Velocity and I have a lifetime subscription with Seattle Avionics.  I also fly with Foreflight.

The cost of the Jepp NAVDATA, and plates on the IFD100 (Geo Synch Approach Plates) are too much.  I will not upgrade.

I have three other Velocity owners who were also looking to upgrade.  BUMMER  Tim

Just buy the nav data for the 440 and use the geo referenced plates on your Foreflight.
Having all of the ease-of-use features of the 440 over the 430W plus terrain, wi-fi, bluetooth makes it well worth it. If it's $200-$300 per year more, it's worth the safety of just the terrain feature alone. I can't imagine giving up all of that for $20 per month.

Edited by LANCE - 15 Apr 2018 at 12:35am
MBerridge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBerridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm
Been reading this thread and others like it for over a year.  An Avidyne person, at their booth at SunNFun 2019, said they were going to "announce this summer" a deal with Jeppesen for reasonable pricing.  When others (Foreflight, Avare, FltPlnGo....) offer continuous updates for less than a couple hundred a year, or absolutely at no cost, to a customer base much smaller than Jep, it seems clear that Jep is abusing us.  Add to that the fact that it is nearly impossible to determine what you can and can't get and what it will cost.  As others said, the answers change even when you call Jeppesen.  This is a user-hostile company.  How about a wireless database import from Foreflight or one of the others?  Or Seattle's?   We NEED an alternative to Jeppesen abuse.  Sure, $1500 annually is not a LOT of money against total cost of ownership, but it's significant and a good factor of 10 higher than others can provide.  Avidyne... where's that deal that was coming last summer?? 
Lovin' my 540.. hating Jeppesen.  
Avid User
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by MBerridge MBerridge wrote:

.... Avidyne... where's that deal that was coming last summer?? 
Lovin' my 540.. hating Jeppesen.  

It arrived a month or two ago, with more on the way before the end of the year.

Among many others, one example, Nav only for the US at US$299.

The details with product numbers ...

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Nov 2019 at 2:58pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It arrived a month or two ago, with more on the way before the end of the year.

Among many others, one example, Nav only for the US at US$299.

The details with product numbers ...

* Orest

Now, if we could just get those Avidyne + Aspen data bundles...

Edited by skitheo - 11 Nov 2019 at 4:15pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 9:01am
We have been dealing with this for years, I notice that members, that are from nort a da border are vocal about not wanting SA, which makes sense since they are not Canada useful, but Jepp is a pain in the A** and can continue to be when you are the "phone" company.  I agree about the Aspen/IFD integration, because I too have to do both...Wishing and Hoping...

Edited by nrproces - 12 Nov 2019 at 9:02am
Sauce
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 5:22pm
Avidyne,

Please build a relationship with someone competing with Jepp. The recent experiences that I've had have been disrespectful and poor. (wasting an hour of my time while "checking on it", invoicing, then delaying availability of data, etc...) 

Please!

Regards,

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic