Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ADS-B (Stratux) + IFD simultaneous FF connections
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B (Stratux) + IFD simultaneous FF connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B (Stratux) + IFD simultaneous FF connections
    Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:53am
Although this configuration was not officially supported, it sporadically worked for me previously.

With the FF 9.4.1 update, it seems to work now, perhaps every time. (only tried a handful of times as yet)

I have the IFD connect to the Stratux wifi hotspot, and same with my iPad. Starting up FF, it finds both the IFD and Stratux. I get FIS-B and TIS-B information, and can access the IFD for flightplan transfers. FF uses the IFD, in preference, for GPS location.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Oct 2017 at 11:55am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:02am

I had a Stratus 2 (not a Stratux).  When I tried the setup as Orest defined it,  did not work for me.  I called ForeFlight for a little help and I was told this setup would not work.  I called Avidyne for some help and they told me the setup would not work as well.   Shortly after that, I had to send my Stratus 2 back for repair.  They couldn't fix it and Aparreo sent me a refurbished Straus 2s as a replacement. 

When I got that back, I tried the same set up again.  This time I was able to upload and download flight plans.  I can send a flight plan from ForeFlight to the IFD with custom weights points and send flight plans from the IFD to ForeFlight.  I'm running 10.2 on the IFD and Foreflight 9.4.1

So the bottom, the unsupported configuration worked for me with a new Stratus.  Traffic and weather are only able to be displayed on my iPad.  I hope this helps someone. 

Edited by tony - 19 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:18pm
9.4.1 may be the key to this working reliably. In any case, the setup is continuing to work for me, every time now.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm
Still working, but with one new issue. FF 9.4.2 appears to have broken Stratux. Every few minutes I get an ADS-B disconnected message, then it reconnects a minute or so later. The iPad still remains connected to the Stratux hot spot, and accessing the IFD (and IFD100 on the tablet) is not affected. More of an irritant than anything else. A new update of Stratux may fix this.

I expect that isn't an issue for Stratus users.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:35pm
Now that I'm occasionally uploading a flightplan to the IFD from FF, I am noticing the bug that the initial airport is not designated the ORIGIN, but instead an enroute waypoint, an issue if you will be flying a departure.

It only takes a moment to add the airport as the origin, but it would be nice if this wasn't an issue. I'll put in a request to FF.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
Here is a blog post about the Stratux disconnects. I think this occurs regardless of how you connect to the Stratux.

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Oct 2017 at 1:08pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:17pm
One thing I do notice is that when I am transferring a flight plan from foreflight to the IFD, the first attempt of the day will almost always fail.  The second attempt is successful. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

One thing I do notice is that when I am transferring a flight plan from foreflight to the IFD, the first attempt of the day will almost always fail.  The second attempt is successful. 

Same here. And that is consistent enough, that I expect it. There is an error message annunciated (something like "communications failure") on the iPad in FF, and no transfer takes place the very first time.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 7:44am
+1 for this. I don't usually use the flight plan transfer from FF to the iPad because I tend to get cleared direct most places. But this weekend, when I filed KNEW-KDCU I immediately got a routing update in FF. It took 2 tries to get it transferred into the panel.

Has anyone filed an issue on this with FF support? Or with Avidyne?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Here is a blog post about the Stratux disconnects. I think this occurs regardless of how you connect to the Stratux.

Reportedly FF 9.4.3 fixes this, update available now.

* Orest

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:44pm
does anyone have trouble getting IFD 100 to work after these connections?  I used to have trouble getting IFD to connect with the Stratus and my IFD 440.  Then it started working but I couldn't get any connection like Oskry did back on 10/14.  Then it started working (probably with an update). Now I never get IDD 100 to connect even if I kill FF.  Not a big deal as FF is more important. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:52am
Actually, I'm finding that the ifd100 works better now, although not tested with the very latest FF release.

* Orest
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 5:24pm
OK, tested with the FF 9.4.3 release.

IFD & tablet hook up solidly to my Stratux. 

Unlike before, there are NO disconnects of the ADS-B data pull in FF, any more.

The IFD100 app seems to be running even better, very solid.

TWO THUMBS up.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Oct 2017 at 10:41am
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:43am
Mine connects to IFD100 now as well. I don't know why it started working.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:12am
I plan to contact FltPlanGo tech support to see if they might try to work on getting simultaneous connections to both the IFD and Stratux or other ADS-B devices, now that I see it works with Foreflight.

When I raised this issue with them in the past, they were clear that they could talk with two devices simultaneously ONLY IF they were on different interfaces (i.e. - IFD on WIFI, and ADS-B on Bluetooth).

I would really like to have them both the IFD and Stratux connected at the same time via WIFI.  Now that I know Foreflight can do it, maybe they will take it on as a challenge.  They have been incredibly responsive for a company that puts out a FREE app.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic