Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.1 Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Release 10.2.1 Available
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 5:12pm
Release 10.2.1 has been approved!  Look for a formal press release regarding availability in the very near future.  But, for you insiders, here is a list of changes included in the release.

Map
Added VFR waypoints
Eliminated duplicate airport labels at low map range
Modified map pop-up to consider including Info and air-gnd frequencies
Allow fuel range ring time to be configurable
Apply traffic distance filter to SVS EGO view

FMS
Added support for heliports and helicopter SID/STAR/Approaches (paid option)
Enabled range to altitude arc (i.e. the "banana")
Fixed error storing holding pattern course in stored route
Fixed user waypoint cross-synching
Fixed various stored route errors
Added AWIS frequencies to the frequency list
Fixed nearest FSS list "flickering" facilities
Prevented apps from uploading certain invalid identifiers
Fixed a scenario that caused the nearest list to become unresponsive
Fixed an error that would show computed leg courses slightly different than published

Equipment Interfaces
Fixed G500 attitude failure indication
Modify MapMx interface to support flight plans with more than 31 waypoints
Allow IFD100 to receive data from remote IFD
Improve support for GTX345 
FreeFlight RANGR support

Weather
Improved METAR decoding
Improved AIRMET/SIGMENT decoding
Set TFR timeouts to 120 minutes instead of 90
Fixed error interpreting the valid times for ADS-B winds/temps
Removed "Traffic" aural for ADS-B traffic

Radio
Mute nav audio volume during IFD power up
Fixed manual squelch adjustment from the volume knob

Miscellaneous
Added additional GPS logging to aid in troubleshooting
New startup logo
Made WiFi and BT icons reflect the connection status
Changed datablock title to "Tailwind" instead of a negative headwind
Fixed air data calculator heading entry
Enabled WiFi when networking confirmation is dismissed with the ENTR key
Fixed formatting for DST ETA datablock

Pilot's Guides have been updated for 10.2.1.  They are not up on the website yet, but we'll update them shortly at http://www.avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=pilot%27s+guides&list=doc

Also, look for a corresponding update to the IFD100 app in the next day or two!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:21pm
Steve,
1.  Any word on v10.2.1 ability to allow IFD540 to receive higher speed baud rate input (115,100 baud) from GTX345 or Lynx9000 to display ADSB Wx on both IFD 540 and Aspen MFD? 

2.  What is latest update on TAS"A" software upgrade availability for IFD540?
Thanks.

Tom W.
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:28pm
Cool stuff. thanks!  Are there potential other fixes that might not be listed?  My main issue with 10.2.0 is that the "no TIS-B" indicator displays erratically and the wx radar data often doesn't load completely from my NGT-9000.  Everything displays fine on the NGT-9000 itself during the issues.  Also, the weather data displays with significant delays after it first shows up on the NGT.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:40pm
Very nice!

Do we need to contact customer support for A&P upgrades as before?  Any idea on when the new sim will be posted?

Edited by brou0040 - 21 Feb 2018 at 6:40pm
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 6:51pm
Excellent, Steve.  Kudos to the team.

Any update on approved linkages to the G* G5?

Thanks,
David
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:09pm
Great news, thanks!

ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:21pm
Congrats to the Avidyne Team... awesome!!!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:33pm

I have answers to several of the questions above.  Stand by for responses to the rest…

Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

1.  Any word on v10.2.1 ability to allow IFD540 to receive higher speed baud rate input (115,100 baud) from GTX345 or Lynx9000 to display ADSB Wx on both IFD 540 and Aspen MFD? 

The high speed capstone interface to the GTX-345 is supported in 10.2.1.  Sorry for omitting that one from the list.  However, related changes to the install manual are still pending.

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Do we need to contact customer support for A&P upgrades as before?

The dealers will be notified in the next few days, you can coordinate with your shop for the upgrade.  If you're an A&P and have done upgrades yourself in the past, then call customer support as you have done before.  TJ may weigh in on this one as well.

Originally posted by AUXAIR AUXAIR wrote:

Any update on approved linkages to the G* G5?

While there is still no formal support for G5 in 10.2.1 (i.e. we have done no formal testing of that configuration), there have been several installations where an IFD is integrated with the G5. Current plan is to get it into the STC with release 10.3.  If you have further questions regarding the G5, I would suggest posting to the thread http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1267&title=garmin-g5-and-ifd-540 or calling tech support.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:11am
The IFD100 update is now available in the App Store. Is this update still compatible with IFD’s running software version 10.2.0?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:14am
I will also ask along with Tom. Looks like maybe there is some movement again.

TAS-A software.?
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:15am
Also, is 10.2.1 installable by an A&P or is a dealer required?
David Gates
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:53am

Steve,

2.  What is latest update on TAS"A" software upgrade availability for IFD540?
Thanks.

Tom W.

Tom,
10.2.1 does allow for a high speed baud rate on the IFD.  The TAS-A software release is still being buttoned up.
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Also, is 10.2.1 installable by an A&P or is a dealer required?

Dave,
10.2.1 can be installed by your A&P (as we have done in the past), but we always caution that if anything goes wrong during the load we have no means to warranty their labor hours unless they're a dealer.  
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:00am

What is latest update on TAS"A" software upgrade availability for IFD540?

The latest estimate for TAS-A upgrade is TSO by mid-year 2018.

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

The IFD100 update is now available in the App Store. Is this update still compatible with IFD’s running software version 10.2.0?

The 10.2.1 version of IFD100 is compatible with 10.2 IFD software, but there could be some situations where user waypoints don't sync correctly.  We don't think there's any advantage to updating your IFD100 until the IFD has the new software.

Any idea on when the new sim will be posted?

The trainer app has been updated on the App Store.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:01am
FYI, the Pilot's Guides are now available on the website.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:28am
Where is Orest?  He finally got his banana.....
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 11:53am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
I'm in Switzerland, skiing!

But I did take notice, and delighted to see it released, for sure!

I'm out spreading the word.

* Orest
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

How about the PC version on the web.
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:00pm
Can you advise if the KFC225/G500 glideslope arming for LPV approaches has been fixed?
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by ptlevine ptlevine wrote:

Can you advise if the KFC225/G500 glideslope arming for LPV approaches has been fixed?

Yep!  Fixed in 10.2.1.  This is included in the fix to the MapMx protocol.
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
Awesome! Thanks
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:20pm

How about the PC version on the web.

There is currently no plan for a new version of the PC sim for this minor release.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:44pm
Steve,

For the 10.2.1 release features, under Weather, found the following statement

"Removed "Traffic" aural for ADS-B traffic"

Does that mean that there are no longer aural warning for conflicting traffic with the Skytrax 100? 

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
Where can one download the 10.2.1 software for the non dealer A&P to install?
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I'm in Switzerland, skiing!

But I did take notice, and delighted to see it released, for sure!

I'm out spreading the word.

* Orest

(opening envelope) . . . . The award for the Boeing Banana goes to  . . . .  Orest!!

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:11pm
Avi-Steve:

So regarding the High Speed Input compatibility with the GTX345:

Will the new v10.2.1 IFD540 high speed baud input display the GTX345 composite/Merged traffic plus ADSB Wx Output?

i.e. - GTX Merged Active TAS605 (input to GTX) + Dual Link GTX345 ADSB Traffic IN (980/1090)

This would be an awesome solution, (also providing the 1090 OUT)... and I suspect also display compatible to Aspen (Garmin Unlock) MFD Display.

Tom W.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:27pm
I just finished installing 10.2.1.0 in one of my IFDs tonight and it went successful exactly like the instructions say. I only touched the IFD once to confirm I backed up my settings. In my case, only the Setup FMS settings were changed on the user part of the IFD. There are some new fields and pages in the maintenance section and some of the existing values were zeroed out and had to be manually restored from my photos. I don’t have any stored routes or user waypoints, so I can’t speak to that. Unfortunately I don’t have time to do the second one tonight and I can’t test fly it because of the weather.

The actual update took about 70 minutes going from 10.2.0.0. As I’ve done in the past I took digital photos of all the settings and backed up all the data on a USB stick.

As I’ve said with the 10.2.0.0 update, I could see a shop billing up to 3 hours for an upgrade once you include all the prep work, moving the airplane into the shop, running the update, completing the post install checkout, and supplying the proper logbook entry.  I know my view is unpopular and some on the form have heartburn over this, but if I owned a shop, I’d for sure charge in the 2.5 - 3.0hr range for the first IFD and 1.5 - 2.0hr range for the second one.

Looking forward to doing the second one tomorrow and it looks like weather will prevent a flight until next week.

Edited by Gring - 22 Feb 2018 at 9:04pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:03pm
FYI - I was already at my avionics shop for a scheduled IFR check on my plane this morning. I inquired about the 10.2.1 upgrade (from 10.2.0) announced on this forum yesterday. After a little initial reluctance based on their previous experience with early 10.2.0 upgrades, they agreed to try.

I agree with Gring that the actual update took an estimated 70ish minutes. Add in prep and post upgrade checks as well as logbook entry and it was 2+ hours from start to finish which I was charged for accordingly.

The avionics shop had to re-create my custom WiFi SSID as the upgrade reset this to the default. They also had to redo the antenna height as it had apparently zeroed. The Nav Data reverted back to show an out of date (Jan 4th 2018) data which caused a no FPL transfer with my IFD100 which had the current navigation database. Some of my data blocks had disappeared and needed to be selected again.

Most appears well with the one short test flight home from the avionics shop. The only thing I noted to investigate further was that I didn't get any "Set course to XXX" CAS message when I had an active GPS course and my OBS was not set near the GPS desired track...the flight was fairly short and I was tested numerous items including OBS mode, so this may have been a result of me not being patient enough to wait for the CAS message.
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 10:35pm
Awesome!  Thanks a bunch to the whole team for the hard work on this release.  It looks like a few of my main complaints have been fixed.  I'm really hoping the "computed course" fix is the issue I saw when flying VOR DME approaches, and having the database legs not matching the charted radials.  This was the only potentially deadly bug I had run into, and I'm glad to see it hopefully fixed.

When can we expect dealers to be ready to go on these installs?  I need to visit Sparkchasers in NC for some ELT work, and would love to have them upgrade my IFDs on the same visit in the coming week or two.

Now if only I could get my MLB100 traffic on my EX5000 I'd be happy as a clam. :P
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:22am
Where are the 10.2. Install instructions? Are they devoid of the red "$1200 bricking penalty" that freaked my shop with 10.2?

Edited by ddgates - 23 Feb 2018 at 9:22am
David Gates
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Where are the 10.2. Install instructions? Are they devoid of the red "$1200 bricking penalty" that freaked my shop with 10.2?

David,
The SB with instructions are on the dealer site.  The exact verbiage of the "bricking penalty" is as follows: "Failure to follow this procedure may require that the IFD be returned to Avidyne for repair and will incur a repair charge of $1200.00."

To my knowledge, no one has been charged the fee, assuming they simply followed the instructions.  We completely understand that things can go wrong with a software load, and sometimes do.  However, we don't think it's unreasonable to expect the folks doing the upgrade to follow the written instructions provided.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Steve,

Does that mean that there are no longer aural warning for conflicting traffic with the Skytrax 100? 

Yes, that is true for the MLB100 because it does not fully meet the TSO requirements allowing it to generate those aurals.  Aurals produced by other ADS-B units are unaffected by the change.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:03am

Avi-Steve:

So regarding the High Speed Input compatibility with the GTX345:

Will the new v10.2.1 IFD540 high speed baud input display the GTX345 composite/Merged traffic plus ADSB Wx Output?

i.e. - GTX Merged Active TAS605 (input to GTX) + Dual Link GTX345 ADSB Traffic IN (980/1090)

This would be an awesome solution, (also providing the 1090 OUT)... and I suspect also display compatible to Aspen (Garmin Unlock) MFD Display.

Tom W.

If you look at the GTX345 website, you would certainly think so, but sadly the answer is no.  There is a specific limitation in the brand-G documentation saying that the RS-422 interfaces do not allow integration with active TAS/TCAS systems.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:04am
Avi-Steve:

Just wanted confirmation and clarification with V10.2.1 capability to display all the GTX high speed output as ADSB traffic & Wx source with its composite-Merged ADSB Dual Link IN + TA605 IN plus Wx on our IFD540's... 

Needless to say, this would be a great solution to allow full GTX output capability to display on both IFD's and Aspen (with their "unlock").

Thanks for your attention to this point.

Tom W.

p.s. Sorry to point out, with this capability, AXP340 X'ponder, Skytrax 100 or TAS "A" no longer needed. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:08am
Steve,
Sorry our messages crossed.... but the G- description of the GTX345 specifically says it takes the TAS605 as "input" and merges with its dual 980/1090 IN... 

Question is display capability of our IFD's.

Thanks

Tom W.

AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:53am
I thought I would chime in on this with a little further information.  
With the IFD interface to the GTX345, we are using the RS422 data stream for FIS-B Wx only, and ARINC-429 for traffic.  The limitation Steve references above applies to "serial" traffic, and not ARINC-429 traffic.  

So, what this means is that you can interface a TAS6xx to a GTX-345, and display a composite version of that traffic information on the IFD (via 429).  But this ability has been there since 10.2, and has nothing to due with the increase in baud rate released in 10.2.1.  The increase in baud rate in 10.2.1 facilitates the ability to parallel that RS422 FIS-B Wx output from the GTX-345 to both the IFD and to the Aspen (same situation with the NGT-9000).  Of course, this all assumes 2 different data paths between the 345 and the IFD/Aspen.  ARINC-429 for traffic, and RS422 for FIS-B Wx.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:10pm
Wow TJ! That's a clarification worth its weight in gold. :-)
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by AviTJ AviTJ wrote:

...what this means is that you can interface a TAS6xx to a GTX-345, and display a composite version of that traffic information on the IFD (via 429).  But this ability has been there since 10.2, and has nothing to due with the increase in baud rate released in 10.2.1.  The increase in baud rate in 10.2.1 facilitates the ability to parallel that RS422 FIS-B Wx output from the GTX-345 to both the IFD and to the Aspen (same situation with the NGT-9000).  Of course, this all assumes 2 different data paths between the 345 and the IFD/Aspen.  ARINC-429 for traffic, and RS422 for FIS-B Wx.

Thanks TJ - very good useful information.  So, if I have this right:

GTX-345 Wx can display its ADSB FIS-B Wx on both units (IFD540 + Aspen - separate pathways and likely "unlock") using the higher baud rate (v10.2.1) using RS422.

Merged GTX traffic Output (TAS + Dual ADSB IN) can display on IFD & Aspen units using traditional ARNC 429 to both.

Will IFD then display UAT Icons with Speed Vectors, etc on ADSB and TAS targets as traditional circles and diamonds?

Thanks again.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 23 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:33pm

Originally posted by AviTJ AviTJ wrote:

...what this means is that you can interface a TAS6xx to a GTX-345, and display a composite version of that traffic information on the IFD (via 429).  But this ability has been there since 10.2, and has nothing to due with the increase in baud rate released in 10.2.1.  The increase in baud rate in 10.2.1 facilitates the ability to parallel that RS422 FIS-B Wx output from the GTX-345 to both the IFD and to the Aspen (same situation with the NGT-9000).  Of course, this all assumes 2 different data paths between the 345 and the IFD/Aspen.  ARINC-429 for traffic, and RS422 for FIS-B Wx.

Thanks TJ - very good useful information.  So, if I have this right:

GTX-345 Wx can display its ADSB FIS-B Wx on both units (IFD540 + Aspen - separate pathways and likely "unlock") using the higher baud rate (v10.2.1) using RS422.

Merged GTX traffic Output (TAS + Dual ADSB IN) can display on IFD & Aspen units using traditional ARNC 429 to both.

Will IFD then display UAT Icons with Speed Vectors, etc on ADSB and TAS targets as traditional circles and diamonds?

Thanks again.

Tom W.

Tom,
That's the rub, and that's where the limitation kicks in.  The 429 data stream is not going to give you the full ADS-B traffic symbology.  For what it's worth this limitation exists, even if interfacing a 345 to a G1000 system...
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:48pm
Where can I get the software in instructions for my mechanic to install?
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:01pm
Tom,
That's the rub, and that's where the limitation kicks in.  The 429 data stream is not going to give you the full ADS-B traffic symbology.  For what it's worth this limitation exists, even if interfacing a 345 to a G1000 system...

Again, TJ - Very helpful info.
Presently I display full UAT Traffic from SkyTrak 100 to my dual IFD's on RS232 with full speed vectors, etc, and display TAS605 active traffic on Aspens via ARNC429 (I believe).

If not able to merge full display icons with GTX345, then is the Lynx9000 capable of output to display full ADSB & Active traffic icons on the IFD540's, using any of the available channels to the 540's?

Tom W.

Edited by AviSteve - 23 Feb 2018 at 4:03pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 4:34pm

...If not able to merge full display icons with GTX345, then is the Lynx9000 capable of output to display full ADSB & Active traffic icons on the IFD540's, using any of the available channels to the 540's?
I have an NGT9000+.  It displays ADS-B Weather and full ADS-B and TAS traffic symbology on its own display, as well as all that via wifi to Foreflight on my iPad.  The Lynx also displays ADS-B and TAS traffic on my IFD, but without the full ADS-B traffic symbology.  The IFD cannot display ADS-B weather from the NGT9000.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

[QUOTE=n7ifr]The Lynx also displays ADS-B and TAS traffic on my IFD, but without the full ADS-B traffic symbology.  The IFD cannot display ADS-B weather from the NGT9000.

So, sounds like it may be possible for:

. Lynx9000 or GTX345 to display FIS-B Wx on IFD540 with new V10.2.1 via 422 input.
. Lynx9000 or GTX345 to use RS232 to IFD540 for full Icon Traffic Display?

Just putting it together...

Tom W.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:25pm

Steve,

Yes, that is true for the MLB100 because it does not fully meet the TSO requirements allowing it to generate those aurals.  Aurals produced by other ADS-B units are unaffected by the change.

Steve,

Are you saying your own Avidyne Skytrax 100 does not meet the TSO requirements, what other ADS-B units do?  

The whole reason we purchased Avidyne units almost 2 years ago was to get the traffic on the EX5000 which is hopefully coming soon. Now another setback if we can't get aural warning on the unit anymore which we really valued with 10.2. What a shame.

Very disappointing!

Ibrahim
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
Hi Steve,

Looks like the formatting is all over the place in the updated pilots guide, Ive only looked at the IFD440 guide, all the images with captions / frames are out of alignment which subsequently forces the page layout format to be off.

Best,
Terry
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:07pm
IFD540 guide looks fine.
Vince
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 12:19pm
Yeah, the 540 does look fine.  It looks like the 550, 510 and 410 guides all have the same issue as the 440.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:34am

For the 10.2.1 release features:
Are you saying your own Avidyne Skytrax 100 does not meet the TSO requirements, what other ADS-B units do?  
Now another setback if we can't get aural warning on the unit anymore which we really valued with 10.2. What a shame.

Very disappointing!

I agree, this is surprising, confusing and disappointing.  What is it about the SkyTrax that falls short of the TSO?  Is this related to the stupid pissing match between NavWorx and the FAA?  Is there a software upgrade pending for the SkyTrax unit to bring back the traffic alerts?

Without the audio, will we still get the yellow TRAFFIC visual message from the CAS?

This feature deletion is making me reconsider the 10.2.1 upgrade, and this upgrade includes at least two improvements that I personally requested.

Very conflicted now.

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:37am
Is the issue with the Skytrax that it was the Navworx box, which the FAA declared inadequate, and now Navworx is no more?   I wasn't tracking that issue.   I did think that use of an external certified GPS (like the IFD) addressed the FAA concerns, but perhaps there were additional issues with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic