Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

I'm fairly certain that the monitor volume can be adjusted under Aux/Audio/Standby Com.

It can, but even with monitor volume maxed out, it is barely audible although not loud enough be understood.  The other volumes work just fine.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 10:10am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Pilots need to decide how their aircraft is configured and behaves, not software engineers.  I think this is a bad idea.  
Agreed!  If I want to monitor 
121.5, I’ll configure it myself.  This requested function is not germane to the IFD’s primary function and it just adds to software bloat.
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

I'm fairly certain that the monitor volume can be adjusted under Aux/Audio/Standby Com.
It can, but even with monitor volume maxed out, it is barely audible although not loud enough be understood.  The other volumes work just fine.
Mine is loud and clear.  It is connected to the AUX input of a PMA6000.

Edited by Bob H - 21 Oct 2018 at 10:12am
Bob
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 7:16pm
Interesting, I know others have complained about this in the past as well.  Mine is connected to my PMA450A.
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 4:19pm
I would love to have the ability to keep the IFD550 in Track Up or Track Up centered mode without having to push the lower right button every time at power up. Seems like an easy software fix. Every time its powered up, it goes to North Up mode unless you have a PFD attached.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by forkauto forkauto wrote:

I would love to have the ability to keep the IFD550 in Track Up or Track Up centered mode without having to push the lower right button every time at power up. Seems like an easy software fix. Every time its powered up, it goes to North Up mode unless you have a PFD attached.

+1 on this... super annoying.  Also, +1 on fixing this in the IFD100 app... same thing seems to happen. 

Doug
N208LG
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by forkauto forkauto wrote:

I agree 100%
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 2:02am
x2

I have both IFD540 & 440, and have to do this on both boxes after every startup. Very annoying.

I suspect that this is a bug, though. Per a note in the Map section of the manual ... "The map orientation will auto-switch from track-up orientation to north up orientation when GPS is lost. Pilots who leave the map orientation in track-up during shutdown may notice the map will start up in north-up until a GPS position fix is available, at which time the map will auto-switch back to track-up."

Unfortunately, this auto-switch back to track-up never happens after start-up, at least not for me. I always need to manually hit the button on each unit to get back to track-up.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Unfortunately, this auto-switch back to track-up never happens after start-up, at least not for me. I always need to manually hit the button on each unit to get back to track-up.

Yes, I concur. One click of the right knob while on the MAP page, is a normal step in my pre-takeoff routine.

It may have to do with the IFD booting up before the ASPEN, or something like that, but it is essentially a constant feature.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Oct 2018 at 9:07am
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:43pm
Here’s a feature request for a future IFD release: rs232 output format defined to support ADS-B FIS-B products on the EX5000 MFD. Today, that’s difficult in many multi-vendor situations, such as when using a Garmin GTX 345, which has limited capacity to communicate with non-Garmin MFDs. While traffic is sent via ARINC 429, the other ADS-B products are transmitted only via rs422/232.

Thanks!
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 1:24pm
Please add the ability to finger press the boundary lines of the Airmets displayed on the IFD and have the airmet text information display. The airmet lines as depicted now are not very useful without the text that describes them. Thanks
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 2:30am
 I know this has been requested before butttt.....
Map Auto Zoom, when combined with ‘some intelligence’, can be a very useful feature-in my humble opinion.

So what ‘Intelligence’ does it need...
1) Min and Max range values
2) and the option to only apply to the Destination. 

Thomas
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

I know this has been requested before butttt.....
Map Auto Zoom, when combined with ‘some intelligence’, ...

I very seldom use autozoom, on anything, I prefer to control the visual angle on screen, especially during the approach.

But I could see the value of that, as long as it is optional.

* Orest

DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 2:46pm

With Auto Zoom you still have full manual control, but it’s big advantage is that when your busy or distracted it continues to operate in the background to your pre-defined settings. 

Thomas
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

With Auto Zoom you still have full manual control, but it’s big advantage is that when your busy or distracted it continues to operate in the background to your pre-defined settings. 

Thomas

Yes, you do have manual control, but I prefer not to have to re-exert that control, as it keeps auto-zooms, when I'm busy and distracted.

But, as I say, just my preference. I can see that a semi-intelligent auto-zoom could be useful, as long as it can be turned off.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
NavajoFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavajoFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:03am
New to the forum. I have an IFD 540 in my Navajo and adding a 440.

In 10.3, I'd like to see:

1) I'd like data blocks to be able to go to a page. I want to touch a block and be taken to the fuel page or the XM channel page.

2) Visual approaches

3) Default nav page on the 440 like garmin has on the gtn 650 and gns 430.

4) Data block option showing destination airport, distance from, and cardinal direction from airport. That would make it easy to report 10 miles SE.

5) Ability to activate the already entered approach or VTF from the PROC button.

6) Keep all waypoints on final approach course when activating VTF.

-Gary
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:30pm

Originally posted by NavajoFlyer NavajoFlyer wrote:

In 10.3, I'd like to see: 

Why?  What do you want that you don’t have with the IFD?  I’m not saying this applies to you, but what I’ve noticed on this forum is that some of the frustration with Avidyne is the transition from Garmin Architecture to Avidyne Architecture.  The Garmin “muscle memory” can be so strong that a different architecture is, at times, considered non-intuitive or even just plain wrong.  Some have even stated that, for some functions, Garmin set the standard and that’s the way it should be done.  I’ve never flown with Garmin, so I’ve never had to unlearn the Garmin Architecture or experience the transition frustration.  Perhaps there is improvement that can be done to the IFD nav page, but please be specific.  Asking that it be “like Garmin” is not specific enough about what needs to be improved.  If I had wanted Garmin, I would have bought Garmin.

4) Data block option showing destination airport, distance from, and cardinal direction from airport. That would make it easy to report 10 miles SE.
Already exists.  Try any of these below.  Designated Waypoint will give you the radial.

5) Ability to activate the already entered approach or VTF from the PROC button.
I hesitate to have hard labeled buttons have different functions depending on configuration or previous actions.  From an ergonomics standpoint, I think it best that the button has a single function.  It is also possible that once an approach is loaded that a different approach may need to be loaded rather than just activated.  It is quite simple now to activate an approach, so just don’t see the need for this additional method.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum!  I am fairly new to the IFD and the folks here are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  I hope some will pipe in here as others may have a different take on the topics you've raised.

Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 4:23pm

New to the forum. ...

-Gary

Welcome Gary,   

You can add all those datablocks (actually more kinds than Garmin has), including a CDI, to the current MAP page.

Are you asking for an additional MAP page, that shows no Map, and only six giant sized blocks like the GNS? Personally, I think that would limit the available information.

As to VTF, the IFD does preserve the FAF and inbound, there are no other waypoints that matter if you are VTF. But, if you prefer to leave the entire approach in the FMS flight plan, just select the IF to FAF leg to be the active leg, you will get the same "VTF" type guidance, but the rest of the approach will be visible. If you are concerned that ATC may reroute back to the IAF, you can just select in the FMC page, and hit direct. Done.

But note, that on the IFD, you can very quickly change from full to VTF and back, or even a different approach with just a few keystrokes, and you don't actually leave the FMS page, so you have the navigation profile and map in view at all times. For these reasons, there isn't the same issue on the IFD, that you have on the Garmins, where many counsel not use Garmin's VTF.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Nov 2018 at 4:34pm
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 6:33pm
New thought on 10.3: Can you make the IFD send out a "current flight plan has changed" ping via WiFi.. such that Foreflight can pick up that "ping" and automatically do a new pull of the current flight plan into its view?

No changes to the "push" (I sort of like that manual "check" as it is)... but I cannot think of a reason why you might not want to keep Foreflight in constant sync with the lastest active flightplan...

Just a thought. 

Doug
N208LG
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by ansond ansond wrote:

New thought on 10.3: Can you make the IFD send out a "current flight plan has changed" ping via WiFi.. such that Foreflight can pick up that "ping" and automatically do a new pull of the current flight plan into its view?

No changes to the "push" (I sort of like that manual "check" as it is)... but I cannot think of a reason why you might not want to keep Foreflight in constant sync with the lastest active flightplan...

Just a thought. 

Doug
N208LG
There are already several ways to accomplish what you're describing using the existing data that the IFD has available over WiFi.  It's just a matter of how app developers choose to use the data.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
Is 10.3 likely to be the next release? That is, no more 10.2 point releases planned after 10.2.2.0?

Reason for the question is that I believe it was you, Steve, who mentioned that RF support only needed some flight testing for FAA signoff and that would seem to fall in the point release category.

It would sure be nice to get those approved in the AFMS and into the navdata so that they can be flown. There are a couple used for getting into my home field and they really shorten the approaches as well as reducing the descent angle. I've read reports that they are actually easier to fly than a DME arc.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
Trust me, I'm as frustrated as you are about RF legs not being allowed in the database.  I've been trying to get the capability into the next release, but some of the other changes are just taking longer than we planned and that's adversely affecting the likelihood that RF legs will be in there.  If I can find any way to get them included, I will.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Thank you.
Vince
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 6:10pm
My wish list: 

1)  Animate XM Nexrad images
My 496 has always done this.   I think the 530W could do it too?  
2)  Display Floor|Ceiling altitudes on airspace. 
I am based under / near several class B's and I use my tablet with Foreflight, because I can't see what each ring is on the 540s. 

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavajoFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

Already exists.  Try any of these below.  Designated Waypoint will give you the radial.

I know it will give me the bearing to dest but when I owned a Garmin 750 I liked the data field that included the cardinal direction (N, S, E, W). I fly a lot of VFR and it's nice to read straight from the data field, "10 miles northwest". Comes in handy when out for a fun flight or training and it's time to go home. Sometimes it takes a second to realize I'm not SW of the airport. I'm actually NW or SE. Just nice to have the cardinal direction instead of a bearing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavajoFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

New to the forum. ...

-Gary
Are you asking for an additional MAP page, that shows no Map, and only six giant sized blocks like the GNS? Personally, I think that would limit the available information.
Thanks for welcoming me.

Yes, that's what I want on the 440, a data only page with a lot more than 6 blocks. 4 columns and 2 rows shown at any one time that can be scrolled. The reason for this request is that I replaced my second king radio and king nav with a 440. I use the 540 almost exclusively since it can have multiple standby freqs and the 440 is pretty much like a backup. I'd love to have the option to dedicate the entire 440 screen to data. Seems simple to add a data tab next to chart on the MAP page that would change the screen to all data blocks.

I really want blocks that will take me to the XM radio page and be able to touch a red X to close the page and go back to page I was on.
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:34pm
Ok.  How does this group hold at present position? I have received this a lot in my career. I have tried to do it but no quick way that I have found   

Also would love to have a fix page with two fixes to choose from. Also make a waypoint on the airway plus or minus so many miles from a VOR.
Khuffine
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:36am
You can do all of those things today with the IFDs.

Hold at present position:

1) Press the FMS button and select the WPT tab
2) Press the PPOS LSK to create a user waypoint at the current position
3) Add the user waypoint to the flight plan
4) Create a hold at the user waypoint.

Waypoint on the airway plus or minus so many miles from a VOR

again
1) Press the FMS button and select the WPT tab
2) Create a user waypoint and select the place/bearing/distance option
3) Add the waypoint off the ALB VOR, 299 radial, 19 DME (I can't remember if you use Radial or Bearing for the waypoint)

4) Add the waypoint to the flight plan

5) Create a hold at the user defined waypoint
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

3) Add the waypoint off the ALB VOR, 299 radial, 19 DME (I can't remember if you use Radial or Bearing for the waypoint)

And it usually has an intelligent choice for the radial, that is along the inbound course, or along the inbound course for the flightplan.

* Orest
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 11:53am
Not the change the subject, but has anyone heard when 10.3 might even release? Or even a target quarter?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

Not the change the subject, but has anyone heard when 10.3 might even release? Or even a target quarter?

Anyone that says, doesn't know, and anyone that knows, can't say.

In the past Avidyne did try to keep customers generally in the loop on development, but they got roasted pretty badly by a small minority of folks when dates slipped. So they don't say anything, anymore. Unfortunate, but I can't blame them.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Dec 2018 at 2:29pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 10:52pm

In the past Avidyne did try to keep customers generally in the loop on development, but they got roasted pretty badly by a small minority of folks when dates slipped.

That was a VERY different situation, but I agree the silence on dates is due to that.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 11:20pm
I was referring to the original IFD/firmware release, so think it is a pretty similar situation. 

* Orest 
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:33pm

I was referring to the original IFD/firmware release, so think it is a pretty similar situation. 

* Orest 

How much money has Avidyne taken by promising 10.3 capabilities without delivering?  The previous communication regarding certification dates was not any sort of transparency, it was down right intentionally misleading.  It doesn't matter if they were trying to judge market interest or stave off some from going to Garmin; and it was not simply poor estimates or the FAA.

Even if you don't agree with their communication being misleading, developing and releasing 10.3 as an optional upgrade with no money taken up front is night and day different than the original IFD/firmware release.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:44pm
I am unaware of any details for 10.3, don't believe it is public. As such how could it be collecting money?

Your comment is the only one that I've seen suggesting that 10.3 was going to be a pay upgrade. Do you have a reference for that? 

* Orest 

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Dec 2018 at 10:45pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:44am
Can't find the delete post button after it made a new reply...

Edited by brou0040 - 23 Dec 2018 at 10:51am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 10:50am

an optional upgrade with no money taken up front is night and day different than the original IFD/firmware release.

I haven't seen any details of 10.3 either and I don't believe (at least I'm not aware) that Avidyne has taken any money for 10.3; that is the reason this is completely different than the original HW/FW delivery.  Re-read my post and see if it makes more sense now.

Edited by brou0040 - 23 Dec 2018 at 10:52am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 11:10am
Ah.I don't think you can delete a post, once it has a reply posted, but you can certainly edit it.

* Orest

mtoutain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtoutain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:45pm
Wow #2 would be fantastic. Almost killed myself and my wife in IMC doing a unexpected course reversal, disconnected AP and tried to activate next leg while putting myself into an unusal attitude because I wasnt aviating first. Lessons learned. Know your avionics nuances prior to flying and aviate first, let ATC vector you out of your inexperience. Never disconnect a good AP to play with your avionics!! 700' breakout nose down 45 degree pitch is a wake up call or as a friend once said "a cheating of death". Would not be posting if it was a 300' breakout.
Katamarino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katamarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 1:18pm
I'd like to put in an exuberant vote for having the units remember the North Up/Track Up selection when powered off and back on again! Even my old 430W did that. It's a bit pointless for it to reset every time, and will lead to more wear on that button.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Katamarino Katamarino wrote:

I'd like to put in an exuberant vote for having the units remember the North Up/Track Up selection when powered off and back on again! ...

It is supposed to, but it doesn't. I often need to manually reset it as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Dec 2018 at 8:25pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 2:33pm
+1
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:53pm
For 10.3 I'd like to see a few refinements in the layout of the screen to ensure nothing is hidden.  For example in this picture circled items are blocking other parts of the display.  The bottom right has the "adjust select" over the flight plan waypoint.  I'd like to see the "adjust select" not be there (a user option perhaps) or move the flight plan up that space. 

The bottom left shows an "artifact" of the tab (which I've elected to have hide).  It would be nice if the tabs disappeared altogether.

The map tab also covers part of the flight plan.

Things like this would make it a more refined user interface.  

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:48pm
The top of the hidden tab I think is done on purpose, to show which tab you are on. It doesn't hide anything.

* Orest
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by skybum02 skybum02 wrote:

For 10.3 I'd like to see a few refinements in the layout of the screen to ensure nothing is hidden.  For example in this picture circled items are blocking other parts of the display.  The bottom right has the "adjust select" over the flight plan waypoint.  I'd like to see the "adjust select" not be there (a user option perhaps) or move the flight plan up that space...

I agree... the “adjust select” should be removed, it’s unnecessary. 
An idea would be to link it with the “hide tabs” option. In other words, it would only be visible when the tabs are visible. Although removing it completely would also be a good idea. 

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 01 Jan 2019 at 11:30pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:17am
Sadly, we cannot eliminate the knob legend in the lower right corner.  There is regulatory guidance saying that controls must have a label showing their function.  For multi-function knobs, there's no choice but to show that on the screen.  "Adjust" and "Select" are rather generic terms, but it was enough to meet the regulations.  However, the label really shouldn't obscure other information on the screen.  That will be fixed in the upcoming release.

As Orest said, the small "tab remnant" that exists when tabs are hidden was done on purpose and doesn't interfere with anything else on the screen.

The other place in the UI where there is objectionable overlap is with the side tab that let's you split the screen on the FPL and NRST tabs.  When a procedure bracket is displayed, the label would often be obscured by the tab.  That also will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Here's a sample screenshot of how it looks after the fixes.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

The other place in the UI where there is objectionable overlap is with the side tab that let's you split the screen on the FPL and NRST tabs.  When a procedure bracket is displayed, the label would often be obscured by the tab.  That also will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Nice, I was hoping for this one.  Do you still think you'll address the coincident hold issue in 10.3?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm

Do you still think you'll address the coincident hold issue in 10.3?
Are you talking about the problem at KPTV you described in http://www.avidynelive.com/kptv-approach-confusion_topic693.html?  That issue will be fixed in the next release.

Edited by AviSteve - 02 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:34pm
Looking forward to 10.3. Is that the next planned release, or can you say yet?

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:19pm
While we had planned to call the next release 10.3, we're now planning to call it 10.2.3.1.  We're doing that primarily because rolling the second digit means a "major" release and, for a multitude of reasons, we don't want to do that.  By rolling the third digit, it qualifies as a minor release and that has some advantages for us.

Just because it qualifies as a minor release doesn't imply that we've reduced the number of new software features that will be introduced.  But, none of those features met the criteria that would have required us to call it a major.

The one disappointment is that the inclusion of RF leg certification requires some flight test that we now won't have to do because this will be a minor.  However, because the next major release will include that flight testing, RF legs will be included at that time.

I won't promise a schedule for 10.2.3.1, but I'd say we're "reasonably close".  10.3 is a little fuzzier, but it's not beyond imagination that it occurs in 2019 as well.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Do you still think you'll address the coincident hold issue in 10.3?
Are you talking about the problem at KPTV you described in http://www.avidynelive.com/kptv-approach-confusion_topic693.html?  That issue will be fixed in the next release.

That is what I was talking about.  When you say it'll be fixed in the next release, do you mean 10.3 or 10.4?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic