Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

That is what I was talking about.  When you say it'll be fixed in the next release, do you mean 10.3 or 10.4?
10.2.3.1 ... See previous post about numbering.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:35pm
Ah missed that post, thanks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I won't promise a schedule for 10.2.3.1, but I'd say we're "reasonably close".  10.3 is a little fuzzier, but it's not beyond imagination that it occurs in 2019 as well.

Thanks so much for that update! Looking forward to new stuff, that we can enjoy and parade around to the "other" folks.

* Orest
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm
Sad to hear about having to wait up to another year or longer for RF legs. :-(

With the proliferation of RF legs in Europe, that is becoming a real competitive disadvantage vs Garmin, and reduces the options for those of us already flying with IFDs.

I must admit that I can't really fathom why doing a flight test is such a huge time investment, in the overall scheme of things for a software release approval.

For info, just a few examples (not for navigation ... Jepp copyright ;-))

Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:42pm
Sorry Vince, I knew you'd be disappointed.  It's not just flight test, it also gets into the STC documentation, but still.  I don't really think it's a year away, but I suppose that's possible.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 4:11pm
The Garmin STC just says that an EHSI with autoslew is required..... easy to add that to the STC wording and it would get the approval for those who meet the prereq. New avionics installs have that, including my lowly C172.

.... but maybe the govt shutdown plays a role with anything that needs an STC mod ???

Edited by chflyer - 03 Jan 2019 at 4:17pm
Vince
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:05am
Another one (EU based) deeply disappointed that RF legs are postponed :-(
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:37am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

maybe the govt shutdown plays a role with anything that needs an STC mod ???
Much as I'd like to blame the shutdown, it's not affecting 10.2.3.1 at this point.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:50am

Much as I'd like to blame the shutdown, it's not affecting 10.2.3.1 at this point.

Thank Heavens for small mercies!

* Orest
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:27pm
Is it possible to list the changes that Avidyne expects to incorporate into 10.2.3.1 or is that a can of worms you prefer not to open yet?:)

Edited by teeth6 - 06 Jan 2019 at 6:28pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Is it possible to list the changes that Avidyne expects to incorporate into 10.2.3.1 or is that a can of worms you prefer not to open yet?:)
I'd rather not do that yet.  Hang on for just a little while longer.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:39am
No problem.  Thanks.
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 11:35am
+1 for Visual Approaches to uncontrolled fields and special airfields  including vertical guidance (like GTN650/750).
2006 SR22-G2 DFC90 IFD440
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:01pm
+1 for visual approaches
dpcraig
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:10pm

"Adjust" and "Select" are rather generic terms, but it was enough to meet the regulations.  However, the label really shouldn't obscure other information on the screen.  That will be fixed in the upcoming release.

The other place in the UI where there is objectionable overlap is with the side tab that let's you split the screen on the FPL and NRST tabs.  When a procedure bracket is displayed, the label would often be obscured by the tab.  That also will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Here's a sample screenshot of how it looks after the fixes.

Looks nice! Looking forward to this.  Thanks for the good news. 
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Unfortunately, this auto-switch back to track-up never happens after start-up, at least not for me. I always need to manually hit the button on each unit to get back to track-up.

Same here I have to hit the button to go back to track up.  I’ve even set the user option to track up.  So this must be a bug :(

IFD440 with Aspen Pro

Hopefully this makes the list for the next release. 
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 5:13pm
I don’t know if this has been brought up before. I was wondering if the Switch Tank alert, when connected to an engine monitor or fuel totalizer, could alert every x amount of gallons instead of every x amount of minutes. The IFD knows how much fuel has been used or remains as it is receiving the info from the totalizer or engine monitor and the info appears in the calculators and in the datablocks.  I would like to be alerted every 10 or 15 gallons.  Is there any reason this would not be possible?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

I don’t know if this has been brought up before. I was wondering if the Switch Tank alert, when connected to an engine monitor or fuel totalizer, could alert every x amount of gallons instead of every x amount of minutes. The IFD knows how much fuel has been used or remains as it is receiving the info from the totalizer or engine monitor and the info appears in the calculators and in the datablocks.  I would like to be alerted every 10 or 15 gallons.  Is there any reason this would not be possible?
+1  Great idea! 
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:45am
+2  that is a great idea
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm
To reword the previous request, "Is it possible to get a list of the new features and/or fixes that have been publicly discussed/acknowledged?" that are hoped to be in 10.2.3.1?  Thanx
Jim Patton
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:11pm
I believe the reply was that they are not quite ready to release that yet and requested that we hold tight a little longer.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:41am
Clarification: I was asking for a summary of what has already been released/discussed/said publicly.  If it's already been discussed publicly, it's not a secret. 
Jim Patton
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:43am
The only thing I'm aware of having been released/discussed/said publicly about 10.2.3.1 content is that RF leg support "won't" be in it since it requires flight testing that requires a major release. By implication, any other changes/features that require flight testing also won't make the cut. 
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:25pm
I don't think Avidyne has publicly confirmed any content for the next release.
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:54pm
I would like it if the designers of the software could give the owners some options. I like the aural alerts for traffic. I have not done any updates since as I believe it was removed. Why cant a simple traffic aural alert be added to the software if the customer wants one. I love all of the other options coming out on updates but I like this function a little more. If I have my head out the window looking, I don't want to have to be staring at the IFD to see if an alert comes up. If it cant say "traffic" give us a beep or something so we know to look at the unit. Pretty Please!!! I love my Avidyne stuff and tell everyone that will listen about how great it is but this is the one frustrating issue I have. 
NavajoFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NavajoFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

Terrific idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:20am
Hi:

Wondering if anyone has thought about adding a "nearest VFR" option?   

Perhaps you could also one step further and have a sort of "nearest" airports based on progressive weather improvements towards VFR. 

You could also set a "nearest-to-my-alternate-minimums" and have an option to set the options to the bigger of the legal minimums and/or your own personal minimums... 

Doug
N208LG
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by ansond ansond wrote:

Hi:

Wondering if anyone has thought about adding a "nearest VFR" option?   

Perhaps you could also one step further and have a sort of "nearest" airports based on progressive weather improvements towards VFR. 

You could also set a "nearest-to-my-alternate-minimums" and have an option to set the options to the bigger of the legal minimums and/or your own personal minimums... 

Doug
N208LG

The IFD already makes the raw 3rd party information available to the PIC to makes the decisions you suggest. For liability reasons I can't see them ever going as far as what you request.
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
New to the thread and a new 540 owner, so apologies if this has been brought up already, or is a feature I'm not aware of.
The VNAV function in the 530 was very helpful. Would love to see that offered.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:28pm
VNAV is available and you can make it one of your data blocks  
NavajoFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NavajoFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:42pm
That is a function in the 540. Look up Vertical Constraints in the manual. You add the constraints on the FPL page. Highlight the waypoint or airport and at the bottom you'll see 'Cross'. Enter what you want in the blanks. Make sure you add the Vertical Speed Required data block to the data pull-out on the right side of the map page.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Stevei Stevei wrote:

...The VNAV function in the 530 was very helpful. Would love to see that offered.

You're in for a treat. 

The IFD handles full VPath down & up, with vertical constraints (automatically loaded for approaches) for every waypoint. Keep the VSR block on your screen for guidance, and don't forget the indomitable Boeing Banana (green arc on screen), for graphical guidance.

Far superior.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Feb 2019 at 8:55pm
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:51pm
All, I just know on a Garmin 530W which I fly today but soon to replace it with an IFD540 I have on order, the GNS530W asks you whether you want to fly the procedure turn or not with a "yes or no" question when you load the approach. I have not found this step to be invasive at all as I load the approach. I like the idea but maybe just because I am use to it. However, it is a good function to use from my perspective.

Don
Don
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
"You're in for a treat. "

You're right. It was. Used it the last 2 trips and was very helpful. 

allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:57am
Is there anyway to make the auto on feature selectable? I do not have an avionics master in my plane, so when the master comes on, the 440 automatically powers up. I dont want to start my plane with the 440 on, so have to manually turn the 440 off by holding down on/off switch, start the plane then manually turn the radio back on.

and second:

Give us the ability to use a user waypoint airport as an origanial waypoint when creating a flight plan.
Claude
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
I’d like to see the newer weather products from ADS-B ( especially cloud tops) in 10.3.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 10:22pm
Got another 10.3 thought... perhaps there is already a quick way to do this... but how about an "orbit here" option that would setup a temporary waypoint automatically, then allow you to orbit LH or RH with a specific radius... 

I can do this now with my IFD... but it takes a few steps to create the waypoint, then add the orbit, then edit the orbit to suit.  Wondering if a shortcut  to do that would be possible?...

You could also have a shortcut for "hold here" in pretty much the same light. 

Just a thought! 

Thanks again Avidyne!

Doug
N208LG

Edited by ansond - 02 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 3:26am
A big +1 for simplifying the present position hold / orbit functionality.  It takes way too many steps / button presses currently.
Giuan123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giuan123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 3:16am
Is it possible to have the functionality of the GTN 650? Selectable VNAV on waypoints processable by the DFC90? This will be helpful for those airfield in Europe without GPS approach subscribed but that are in conditions to be used as described.
Also they have a nice feature: once you plan to land in an airfield contained in the database the GTN650 will calculate the approach circuit to the airfield (based on the pubblished altitude datas inside the database) and it calculates an approach procedure and a circuit at a proper altitude.

What do you think? Avidyne is always a step formward, (always), but this feature is clever and helpful and seems to be an Avidyne solution, NOT a Garmin solution.

Best regards

Giovanni

Edited by Giuan123 - 03 Mar 2019 at 3:20am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:34pm
GTN navigators now have EASA approval for flying RF legs in Europe, with same prerequisites as specified by the FAA. This will be a big detractor for the IFDs as the number of IAPs with RF legs is increasing. A shame that we won't see it in the IFD until 10.4 or later which likely means well into 2020.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:47am
Avidyne IFDs are great boxes (I have a 540/440 pair) and I just love flying with them.

But one sure notices that the company doesn't have the resources or market penetration of G*. For keeping currency, x-plane not only has integrated support for the GNS530/430 but also the GTN 750/650 via RealityXP. This now includes support for RF legs too! So European Garmin customers can practice the RF legs on x-plane and then go fly them using their G* units!!!

This is of course just a dream for us IFD users, as RF leg support in the in-panel boxes likely won't come before 2020 at the earliest and there is no sign that Laminar Research or RealityXP has any interest to support the Avidyne units...... a shame.

Vince
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
I am new to the IDF family as I’ll be installing a new IDF540 hopefully later this month to replace my GNS 530W.  As I try to get updated on this fantastic box, I see their is a void in approach charts available on the IFD. I currently use government charts on my Aspen 3 display & Foreflight software and they are considerably less expensive than the Jeppensen charts.  Now after the Boeing acquisition of Jeppensen recently announced, I am sure prices will only go up.  It sure would be nice if Avidyne would offer both government charts & Jeppensen to give us a choice.  I find my government charts work just fine for me.
Don
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

Now after the Boeing acquisition of Jeppensen recently announced, I am sure prices will only go up.
Do you mean Foreflight?  Boeing acquired Jeppesen in 2000.  Not sure why the acquisition would change pricing.
Bob
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:07am
The easy pickins' would be for the new "Boflight" to tack on another $50 to all their IFR products and bundle Jepp charts, like it or not. Easy incremental revenue with no downside to them.

There are lots of other ways they could creatively jack up prices; I am honestly more concerned that their trend of stuffing turbine/121/military-oriented features into the product will continue and the piston/small turboprop GA side will languish.  
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
Adding US govt charts has been on the feature request list since the IFDs were still in gestation.

While I understand the cost element, I would vote against Avidyne making this a high priority for the following reasons:
1 - It only benefits US users. There are other items that would benefit all users.
2 - Having charts (Jepp or govt) on ForeFlight or any other tablet app reduces the need for charts on the in-panel unit. I have Jepp charts, and am still not ready to pay the extra to get them on the IFD. Besides, they are closer and easier to view on a tablet.
3 -  The expensive Avidyne in-panel screen space can be better used than to display charts.

Vince
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 11:51am
I'd like to add my vote for supporting RF legs in both the FAA STC and the EASA validation of that STC
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm
Yes, I meant Boeing purchasing ForeFlight...sorry.
Don
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:09pm
Just a thought especially today....how about an automatic local time offset option? Additionally, local time ETAs would show correct local time ETAs even if ETA fix time offset is different than current position time offset.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Just a thought especially today....how about an automatic local time offset option? Additionally, local time ETAs would show correct local time ETAs even if ETA fix time offset is different than current position time offset.

That's why we have UTC (Universal Coordinated Time)
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

That's why we have UTC (Universal Coordinated Time)
Exactly.  Time zones have no logic and some places don't recognize daylight savings time.  Too cumbersome to program and could easily lead to pilot confusion especially on a long trip when a waypoint is just barely, and unknowingly, in the next timezone. 
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic