Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Just a thought especially today....how about an automatic local time offset option? Additionally, local time ETAs would show correct local time ETAs even if ETA fix time offset is different than current position time offset.

That's why we have UTC (Universal Coordinated Time)

Our IFDs (and maybe the IFD100 soon) have the ability to offset UTC by a fixed amount on a per user basis. I was trying to gauge interest in an automatic option for this offset. Currently, if one would like that offset to reflect local time, they would have to manually change that offset value every time they cross a time zone or when going in or out of DST (for each affected user). 

Thanks for pointing out that UTC would be required data for this calculation.
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:55am
Excellent thread started by Steve!  Lots of great suggestions.

Bummer about Avidyne's interpretation of the regs on installation of firmware updates vs data updates.  Seems the wording from FAR 43 (as quoted by AzFlyer and HenryM in the "Update-on-10-2-3-1-software" thread) would allow, though maybe the local FAA rep implied otherwise.  

Maybe, to get this one to us, he (we?) needs to start another thread for the NEXT update...  

As one who chose Wing X over Foreflight a long time ago (and relieved that Boeing spared Wing X), sure glad for Garmin's foray into data:  Competition reduced the Jepp subscription price for us.  Still would prefer an alternative to Jepp.

AVIdly anticipating this release!
Thanks, Steve, et al!
Be happy! Your choice.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:33pm
To underline the disappointment about no RF leg capability, in
Europe SESAR is funding a project to demonstrate that GA aircraft can successfully fly non-standard approach profiles including RF legs.  The selection of participants was limited to those with GTN boxes at software v6.21 or above. The flying is due to start in April or May. 

What a shame Avidyne is not at the party

Edited by ColinW - 12 Mar 2019 at 6:34pm
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:37am
Got an IFD being installed this week but got to fly a neighbors plane equipped with a 440 this morning and work an IFD for the first time. I was very impressed with it as I was able to do all functions by myself with no help and no manual. Really user friendly and intuitive. One suggestion, on simple direct to flights it would be nice if the IFD remembered last leg entered upon startup this way you could put your next destination prior to shutdown. May not seem like a big deal but helpful when you have multiple devices to set up making for an extended run up. Yes, I do know you can save as a prior flight plan but it's still easier if you don't have to touch it at all (except for allow/ignore).
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

Got an IFD being installed this week but got to fly a neighbors plane equipped with a 440 this morning and work an IFD for the first time. I was very impressed with it as I was able to do all functions by myself with no help and no manual. Really user friendly and intuitive. One suggestion, on simple direct to flights it would be nice if the IFD remembered last leg entered upon startup this way you could put your next destination prior to shutdown. May not seem like a big deal but helpful when you have multiple devices to set up making for an extended run up. Yes, I do know you can save as a prior flight plan but it's still easier if you don't have to touch it at all (except for allow/ignore).
Congrats on the new install!  It certainly is a great box!

In regard to remembering the last leg upon startup, I prefer to start with a clean slate.  Things can change between shutdown and startup on how I’m going to fly.  A clean slate has me be very deliberate about my route right before takeoff.  The primary function of the IFD is to support IFR flight plans, this is a VFR point to point request, which I think will actually hinder IFR operations.  Some things to consider:

·         Most of the time, I’m not sure what my next route or waypoint will be upon shutdown, so this feature will rarely come into play.  Also, after shutdown or before the next flight, I can always put waypoints into the IFD100 for auto loading when connected to the panel IFD.

·         When flying IFR, upon shutdown, the IFD will retain the last route flown.  Then on startup, I no longer have the option of just entering a route on the FPL page.  I will either need to delete the old waypoints while entering the new, or I will be relegated to entering everything new in the ROUTE page.  It limits my options and will cause extra work.

·         Upon startup now, I can do a database update in less time than it takes to warm up, taxi, and run-up.  Loading a single VFR waypoint would be simpler and faster than that.  I think you will find no extended run-up is necessary.

I am left to conclude that for most IFR operations, this feature request would be a hindrance.  Also, it will only come into play when the next VFR flight and waypoint are known, which is probably not very often (at least for me).  Even then, the IFD 100 will certainly suffice.

Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:09pm
I know it's well over a year away, but it would be nice to have confirmation from Avidyne that support for RF legs won't have any more implementation restrictions than those for the Garmin GTN. Specifically, per the AFMS the GTN is approved to fly uncoupled RF legs ... i.e. does not require an A/P or FD.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I know it's well over a year away, but it would be nice to have confirmation from Avidyne that support for RF legs won't have any more implementation restrictions than those for the Garmin GTN. Specifically, per the AFMS the GTN is approved to fly uncoupled RF legs ... i.e. does not require an A/P or FD.
That's correct.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mklepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:13pm
Suggestion for 10.3

I fly a small experimental.  While on autopilot, tracking the GPS, I often get a popup message saying to adjust heading to xxx.   (Turn to xxx)   My autopilot is flying that xxx heading + or - a degree.  (I know the bigger stuff like the Pilatus I fly, is dead on and this isn't an issue.)   What would be nice would be a setting to loosen up the trigger for that popup alert by an extra degree or two.

Thanks

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:42am
It may be telling you to set the OBS course to that value.  Mine does that for my CDI if I don't twist it.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by mklepper mklepper wrote:

While on autopilot, tracking the GPS, I often get a popup message saying to adjust heading to xxx.   (Turn to xxx)   My autopilot is flying that xxx heading + or - a degree.  (I know the bigger stuff like the Pilatus I fly, is dead on and this isn't an issue.)   What would be nice would be a setting to loosen up the trigger for that popup alert by an extra degree or two.
As David mentioned, I don't think this has anything to do with how well the autopilot is tracking; the IFD is simply detecting where your CDI is dialed in and reminding you to update it if it's not dialed in to your desired course.  

In my plane, as long as I'm "close" (maybe +/- 3deg) on the CDI, the IFD is satisfied and will clear the alert.

Regardless of where the CDI is set, my GPSS-driven autopilot is dead on the magenta line when the IFD is in GPS mode.

Edited by MysticCobra - 23 Mar 2019 at 9:02pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:27am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

It may be telling you to set the OBS course to that value.  Mine does that for my CDI if I don't twist it.
That is what was happening in my Aspen/IFD540 panel.  I didn't realize that the IFD was prompting me to set the heading on the Aspen until now.  Thanks for that insight!  I flew yesterday and that is exactly what it was prompting me to do. Another IFD mystery solved.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 24 Mar 2019 at 6:30am
mklepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:19am
OK thanks,   Yes, once I set the heading on the CDI, the message went away.   I rarely bother adjusting the CDI heading on my experimental, as I set the heading on my EFIS.  The heading on the Pilatus EFIS apparently is connected back to the 440. 

Learn something new everyday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:29am
Lots of misuse of the word "heading" here.  To be clear, it is the CDI "course" that is being set.  The 'other' thing with the knob.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:22pm
Progress in Europe on implementing RF legs

... well, for certain G* installations so far.   Work is ongoing to expand the field
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:42pm
Don't know if this has been suggested already. Apologies if done so.

On flying a procedure, it's terrific to have the altitude necessary to cross the fix.  Add a field that would show the distance to the next fix.
I think that would be very helpful for situational awareness and enable us to stay on the same screen.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Stevei Stevei wrote:

Don't know if this has been suggested already. Apologies if done so.

On flying a procedure, it's terrific to have the altitude necessary to cross the fix.  Add a field that would show the distance to the next fix.
I think that would be very helpful for situational awareness and enable us to stay on the same screen.
Those two data quantities are shown simultaneously on the FPL page already, per leg.  If you're trying to stay on the Map page, then I would suggest configuring one of the datablocks to show distance to the active waypoint.  Then you could see distance to the waypoint in the datablock and the crossing altitude would be displayed on the map (but both visible at the same time; subject to map decluttering).

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Is it possible to make it optional for the IDF440 to NOT power up when the master is turned on. Make it optional. I would like to beable to power up my avionicas after engine start.

Claude
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:12pm
I could be wrong but I thought if you power down the 440 by pushing the button it will not power up with the avionics master but by pushing the button on the IFD again when ready.

Edited by teeth6 - 16 May 2019 at 1:12pm
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:57pm
An avionics master switch is a good thing for all your electronics.

Jim Patton
RGLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:43pm
AviSteve,I see that the IFD will network with a portable stratus. Will it also network with a Garmin GDL50? It would be great if the ADSB data from the portables would be able to display weather and traffic on the IDF100 app. Is this possible?
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:41am
Not exactly true. Using an Avionics master continually will make the individual switch's and knobs on your various avionics become sticky unless exercised now and then.
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:54am
Not really. Not good for the indivual radio, and sets up a very nasty single point of failure. if The master switch fails (and switch's do often fail) You could be truly in a world of hurt as you just lost all your avionics in one swoop. This is why you dont see avionics masters in combat aircraft.
Claude
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:00pm
My Mooney had a "fail on" avionics solinoid master which pretty much solved that problem.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:06pm
+1 on the avionics switch, saves wear & tear & time. Some of my electronics do not have an ON/OFF switch, and would come on for engine start, not a good idea.

My avionics switch (when OFF) energizes a relay, which opens a circuit, and will cut the power feed to the avionics bus. If the switch fails, then in fail-safe fashion the avionics bus goes live.

I also have a guarded, backup avionics breaker/switch under the panel that will supply power to the avionics bus from a separate circuit, just in case.

Both were factory, and that is a fairly standard setup.

That all would be a pain to install. If you don't have an avionics switch, then just installing two switch/breakers in parallel to feed the avionics bus should work well, and be relatively fail-safe.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 May 2019 at 12:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I could be wrong but I thought if you power down the 440 by pushing the button it will not power up with the avionics master but by pushing the button on the IFD again when ready.

Not true.  It wakes up every time power is applied, regardless of the shut down method.

As discussed here, I was motivated to install an avionics master switch after the IFD installation for this very reason.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:49am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Have a suggested improvement or bug fix for release 10.3?  Use this thread to put it out there. No promises on which suggestions will make it, but we're glad to have the feedback.  Have at it!

If feasible, design the units so they won't brick themselves during updates and upgrades because of power interruptions:

Buffer the upload of databases so that the box does not enter "update mode" status (and potentially brick itself if power is interrupted), and remains status quo until the entire file is uploaded to the unit.  

Make navdata updates robust by having the unit abort and return to its known prior good state after a power interruption, so as not to brick the unit.  Do not allow the unit to "forget" its prior valid state until a new update has been installed and verified.

Do the same for software upgrades, if possible.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:38am
+1

May not be possible with Avi architecture but presumably there will be more cycles of updates, and the current pathway leaves much to be desired.

Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Have a suggested improvement or bug fix for release 10.3?  Use this thread to put it out there. No promises on which suggestions will make it, but we're glad to have the feedback.  Have at it!

If feasible, design the units so they won't brick themselves during updates and upgrades because of power interruptions:

Buffer the upload of databases so that the box does not enter "update mode" status (and potentially brick itself if power is interrupted), and remains status quo until the entire file is uploaded to the unit.  

Make navdata updates robust by having the unit abort and return to its known prior good state after a power interruption, so as not to brick the unit.  Do not allow the unit to "forget" its prior valid state until a new update has been installed and verified.

David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:45pm
Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches - I think these would be EXTREMELY VALUABLE. Especially on approaches with multiple step down fixes.

If it’s easier to program, a simple tone (a ding, a bell, whatever) would be fine as well to let me know I’m crossing the fix. 

Having said that I just got my IFD 540 upgraded (it has been unchanged since it was installed in 2015). I’m going to try using the IFD 100 on my ipad during an instrument approach to see if that makes fix identification easier. It may.

My preference on instrument approaches is the have the approach plate on my iPad in front of me although I don’t trust the iPad fix locations (it’s not a certified WAAS navigator for instrument flight).

I’d rather watch the plate on the iPad but have the box “ding” or tell me when I’m crossing each step down fix.

Any chance we can get something like this?

Or do I have it already and just don’t realize that yet?

Jim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches 
It's in our list of enhancements, but hasn't been scheduled yet.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:30am

Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches 
It's in our list of enhancements, but hasn't been scheduled yet.

I agree with Jim that it would be a nice feature.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:33am
+1
Klaus
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:57am
I’d like to see the aircraft stay centered on airport taxiway charts as it proceeds along. This was a nice feature on the EX500  airport charts but on the IFDs, it’s necessary to keep moving the chart on the touch screen to follow the aircrafts progress and keep it in view. 
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
I would like the IFD540 to pass TAS traffic, not just ADS-B traffic, to Foreflight over wifi.
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:15am
A suggestion:
A single aural callout of “Altitude” as you approach an ‘altitude constraint’ in the FMS. It could occur as the ‘Boeing Banana’ disappears, ie approx 150 ft from the target altitude. 

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 05 Jul 2019 at 9:35am
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:59am
1. would like to see kind of custom sort ability of the flight plans and/or also favorites beside the stored ones.
2. when activating VTF, i should have an extended magenta center line to the runway. often, the vector leads you between the FAF and runway and mostly you do it on VFR App also. default looks like the leg to FAF turns magenta.

thanks

thomas
“Respect others and their views. And demand they respect yours”
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by 2thomas 2thomas wrote:

2. when activating VTF, i should have an extended magenta center line to the runway. often, the vector leads you between the FAF and runway and mostly you do it on VFR App also. default looks like the leg to FAF turns magenta.

I would not want to see the G style of removing all the other waypoints when activating VTF. ATC can always change their mind, and in any case, I prefer not to lose the additional SA.

If the leg you want active, isn't, you can easily sequence it, or it should sequence on its own as you approach it.

* Orest
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

+lots and lots
Having been recently bitten by this and the associated impossibility to get this problem resolved before a big trip, this really needs attention. Coming from a GNS480 where I could load the next cycle in advance of needing it this really hurts
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I’d like to see the aircraft stay centered on airport taxiway charts as it proceeds along. This was a nice feature on the EX500  airport charts but on the IFDs, it’s necessary to keep moving the chart on the touch screen to follow the aircrafts progress and keep it in view. 

+1
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

I would like the IFD540 to pass TAS traffic, not just ADS-B traffic, to Foreflight over wifi.

+1
Somewhere the consolidation of TAS and ADSB traffic needs to occur,. and weather too. I don't care where this happens so much, but connected devices need to be able to display it!
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

A suggestion:
A single aural callout of “Altitude” as you approach an ‘altitude constraint’ in the FMS. It could occur as the ‘Boeing Banana’ disappears, ie approx 150 ft from the target altitude. 

Thomas

+1

1. would like to see kind of custom sort ability of the flight plans and/or also favorites beside the stored ones...

+1
Eg I have my home 'drome arrivals via VRPs and a couple of other waypoints defined for activation when I get close - personally I'd like them always at the bottom of the list, but I'd like to have genuine x-country routes in eg last modified or by "title" sequence (and then I'll define the title to suit the sort)
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
i totally disagree. we should minimize workload, especially in this phase of flight. in +30.000 ifr hours i never was reverted to a fix or waypoint, just rh. and if, you still can request rh or punch in this fix. sequencing means an other task to do in most, not to say on all approaches. and maybe with a new rh you have to sequence it back to the old one. same with the default hold by activating app. i never flew this hold and with avidyne you need to clear it everytime. even the systems at airbus, boeing etc don't create a hold by default and they are painting an extended center line to reduce workload for the most critical phase of flight.
but maybe avidyne is able to put this item in for customizing? then everybody can set it up how he likes it. :)
“Respect others and their views. And demand they respect yours”
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm

i totally disagree....maybe avidyne is able to put this item in for customizing? then everybody can set it up how he likes it. :)

Well, that is why we have 29 flavors of ice cream.

* Orest
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
This is more for 10.4 as it certainly wouldn't make it into 10.3.

There is a lot of traffic on the forum about IFD hardware interconnection to ADS-B In and Weather devices. There are also a lot of reasonably priced portable devices that provide the same information over wifi, but the IFD doesn't support them probably due to certification issues.

However, ForeFlight does support most of them and the IFD also currently exchanges flight plans (send/receive) with ForeFlight.

If would mean some collaboration between Avidyne and FF, but it would be very useful if this information could also be passed on by ForeFlight to the IFD via the wifi connection. In particular, the traffic information on the IFD could be presented exactly as with the hard-wired interconnections today without the high purchase & installation costs of an ADS-B In system.
Vince
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:11pm
A request about user waypoints.  Currently the only use for user waypoints seems to be for creating Routes/Flight plans.

I request a checkbox/switch on the user waypoint creation page that in effect means "show waypoint when in MAP mode".  (If practical, the same feature could/should apply to any waypoint.)

This would give a user the ability to define waypoints that show up in the airspace in either of the MAP modes for better situational awareness.  The default display should be minimal size, just discernible.

(I'm not suggesting the ability to show all or nothing.  That would be WAY too cluttered.

Other's thoughts??

Jim Patton
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:06pm
Some ideas for 10.3:

Would be nice to be able to change sensitivity of FLTA.  IFD FLTA is much more sensitive than KGP560 in same airplane.  

On IFD440, make a long hold of the Direct button bring up Nearest Airports. 

When using the left knobs to change the frequency, it's annoying that you have to clear the frequency list.  This should automatically clear when you hit the swap button.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Aerochip Aerochip wrote:

Er, why not just use the NRST button that already exists?
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by Aerochip Aerochip wrote:

Er, why not just use the NRST button that already exists?

NRST isn’t on the IFD440. Only the bigger IFD5xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by skybum02 skybum02 wrote:

NRST isn’t on the IFD440. Only the bigger IFD5xx
Ah, gotcha. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:30am
New request:
Add the capability to create a hold along the currently active leg x miles before the active waypoint. As I understand, such a request from ATC currently requires creation of a usr waypoint using rad/dist from a fix (active wpt in this case) that then needs to be added to the route before defining the hold at it. A lot of typing especially if no a/p & bumpy.

For extra points:
- also allow adding hold x miles after active waypoint on next leg.

Much more elegant today with the GTN:

Edited by chflyer - 29 Apr 2020 at 3:40am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
I asked for the addition of a feature to allow for flexible addition of waypoints, relative to waypoints in the flightplan as well as direct entry of rad/dist type waypoints, years ago. Don't know if it is in the database still. Maybe we will see it some time.

But, from one of the comments below that youtube video, a nice tip ...

..... think I found a slightly easier method. As you demonstrated, we can easily set a crossing altitude at 15nm prior to our fix. That point is not in the waypoint list so we can not set a hold there but the point is depicted on our map screen along the route. Where that point is on the route, press and hold for a moment to activate the "rubber band" function and then release your finger while still on the altitude crossing point. You will then be prompted to name the new point or accept a default name of "RB001" where the number is how many rubber band waypoints you have created during your flight. Once the waypoint is created, you can now easily program your holding pattern. A nice feature of this method is that if you keep the generic name of "RBxxx" it will not save that as a user waypoint and clutter up your IFD.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:03pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm
Here is a copy of that post (2015):

Topic: Feature request: special waypoints

Quote Yes, you can use the "create user waypoint" dialog to first create all of the below format waypoints, before using them, but when entering a flightplan it would be much faster if you didn't have to sidetrack to that function. Why not just allow them to be entered directly in a special format.

Fairly typical in an FMS is the below approach:

Crossing radials:
JFK190/CYN100

rad/dist:
JFK190/25

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

lat/long, N 47.0, W 080.0
N470W0800

Lat/long in flightplans is becoming more common, especially out west. Being able to enter them directly on the fly, would be much more efficient. Really, the same with all the above.

Using the above construct, you also wouldn't litter the user waypoint list with obscure waypoints.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 1:00pm
Here is another old request (2012), you will find a FIX page on the Smith & Honeywell FMS to add such FIX/circle defiinitions. Very handy.

Topic: Feature Request: What about a FIX page?

Quote This is a "big boy" feature that allows you to draw on screen radials and circumferences from a waypoint. They are persistent, and not specifically related to your flight plan. (there were several on the MFD page, in my post asking about the BB)

Superb for spatial orientation, especially in busy airspace, or on final approach. At a glance you know you should be close to the OM, or when to drop your speed, or gear or whatever.

Also excellent when performing complicated SIDs by hand. You can draw in a DME x.x nm circle where you might need to start a turn as you ascend, and then draw in a VOR radial (like an OBS display, but not linked to the flightplan) that you need to intercept.

I routinely draw in a 10nm and 20nm circle around my destination aiport, and then I think 6000 AGL at 20, and 3 at 10, makes sure you are on track. Just add 3000 ft AGL for an approach to an airport in the opposite direction from the active runway.

"Fix" circles have been drawn in at 10nm & 20nm, centered on KSEA (737 MFD)

Very simple user interface, you just specify a radial (optionally), a distance, and the reference waypoint.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
Great idea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic