Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_deb@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:52pm
This NAV/HSI screen from the GNS480/CNX80 was useful as a backup to Primary HSI.  Would be nice to see this as an addition to future software update.

NAV/HSI Screen
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Here is a PDF Linked on my DropBox with some UI improvement requests. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqxadgo7bb3bina/IFD440%20UI%20Improvements%20.pdf?dl=0

Edited by skybum02 - 30 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:33pm
would be great to get support for Aviation HS as an RS232 protocol so European customers can hook up an ADL device and send both the flightplan and bring weather into the IFD with the same baud rate. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:45am
+1
Vince
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Hi Steve,

2) On approaches where a procedure turn (hold) is included, I'd like a prompt for yes / no to fly the procedure turn rather than having to delete it from the flight plan.

I was a controller is a busy radar facility for 27 years and if I was vectoring an aircraft for an approach, I based my separation on the fact that the aircraft was not going to do a procedure turn and vectored them to a point where they were within the no PT area.

I would really like to see this feature also, thanks.
Woo Hoo!!!
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

* Audible callouts for "approaching FAF" and "approaching MAP" when flying an active approach. (I'm not asking for vertical callouts for altitudes, as I understand that's a complex and liability-prone issue)
* Audible callouts for "approaching waypoint"-- any time the airplane is about to change course or a new altitude restriction is in the FMS, give me a noise, much like TOD works now
* audible tone any time a CAS caution/warning message appears (thanks to dmtidler for the suggestion)
* hit Foreflight with a stick until they support streaming from the IFD

If this is possible, that would be awesome.  With my Aspen 2000 MAX you get approaching minimums and a minimums call-out.  Having an approaching FAF, and/or other fixes call-outs would be another step forward.
Woo Hoo!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:53am
Here's a big one - request, that is.

The IFD sends Capstone traffic to the IFD100  It does not send active traffic (or hybrid TAS/ADS-B as provided by the TAS-6XXA).  

I believe the best traffic solution is just that, the TAS output <which does display on the panel mount IFD).

The ability to port that to the IFD100 by WiFi would be providing the best traffic solution on the IFD100 display.

So that is my ask.
David Gates
Jmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:57pm
Please make the soft key on the left side show what the key will select, not what the screen is showing.

For example: 
1) On the FPL screen the View soft key shows Expanded when the display is expanded.  If it said Compact, I would know that selecting it would give me a compacted display.
2)  On the SYS screen the Status soft key shows Software and the page displays the S/W Ver.  I have no indication that the next time I press it will show me the database currency.  If it said Databases, I would know that pressing it will show me the database currency.

After years of flying with an IFD 540 it finally came to me watching tonight's webinar that this is the reason I have had trouble finding things on the SYS page in particular!

Thanks.
John
John
A36
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:25pm
+1.  I’ve always felt that but never said it.  Don’t need a soft key to tell you where you already know you are. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The IFD sends Capstone traffic to the IFD100  It does not send active traffic (or hybrid TAS/ADS-B as provided by the TAS-6XXA). 
One of my colleagues reports that active traffic (Ryan TCAD) is already being sent to the IFD100.  It is not forwarded to third party apps, though.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:13pm
AviSteve, looking for a comment on Jmack's request and Teeth5's comment.  I 3rd the observation that you don't need a hotkey to tell you what you already have done.

Edited by FlyingCOham - 22 May 2020 at 7:14pm
Jim Patton
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

One of my colleagues reports that active traffic (Ryan TCAD) is already being sent to the IFD100.  It is not forwarded to third party apps, though.

Can you develop this a little further, perhaps with your colleague?  I have a TAS605A and a Skytrax 100.  I haven't seen the TAS traffic on the IFD100.   It stands to reason it should be there.  Does it require turning off the Skytrax 100 feed?  And in the case of dual IFDs, I suppose the TAS traffic then has to be displaying on the box which is also the WiFi output unit?

Edited by ddgates - 22 May 2020 at 9:12pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:13pm
Two different colors are used on the cycle keys, the light cyan shows that you are looking at current page/function.

The straight swappers are all one color, darker cyan.

Works for me, and changing that now would make it very confusing. I would vote to leave it as is.

* Orest
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:37pm
Feature request for the IFD100 app:  Make it work in Split Screen on iPad.  
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:22pm
Orest,
I am normally on the same page as you so would you explain what you mean, please.  When I am on the chart tab, for instance and I have an approach showing, the "view" button tells me the page I am already on (which I knew) but not what page will come up next. When I am on the plan view, it says "plan."  When I do hit the button the page changes to header view and it says "header" below the cyan view button.  Likewise, on the FMS page,  when I am on the expanded view in FMS, the button tells me where I already am..."view expanded." 
What do you mean by the darker cyan in straight swappers?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Ok, poor choice of words. Read "straight swapper" as a command button.

The brighter cyan shows where you are, the state; the darker cyan tells you what the button does, the command. That is consistent throughout the UI. It is discussed in the PG.

So, above, the VIEW tells you it will change the view, the INSERT tells you you will insert a waypoint, but the Expanded tells you where you are.

Same with the Land & Nav buttons. There is a command in darker cyan, and the state in lighter cyan.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 May 2020 at 6:36pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:56pm
Good discussion.  I see your point and I'm very used to it like this also but I never understood why the button which says Expanded tells me where I already knew that I was (Expanded).  I might prefer to know in advance where I will be if I push the button if I am looking for a compact view, for instance.   Certainly not a big deal.  I just push the button until I get to where I want to be. :)

Jmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:29pm
Thank you teeth 6 for the follow-up.  Orest's explanation totally blew over my head until you asked for clarification.  I suppose the root of the problem is the IFD 540 is so intuitive that I never read the PG cover to cover but only referred to it when I had questions.  But I still would rather the button told me where I am going rather than where I already know I am!
John
A36
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Jmack Jmack wrote:

But I still would rather the button told me where I am going rather than where I already know I am!

+1 !!!!
Jim Patton
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

AviSteve, looking for a comment on Jmack's request and Teeth5's comment.  I 3rd the observation that you don't need a hotkey to tell you what you already have done.
Orest pretty much covered it - state buttons vs command buttons.  We don't plan on changing that.

This is not a new debate and it's usually about 50/50 on which way people see it.  The history of this goes back to R9, though.  On that system, each of the LSKs were rockers similar to the ones on the bottom of the IFD.  So, you could go backward through the cycle or forward through the cycle.  Clearly, the button cannot say what's next because you don't know which side of the button the user is going to press.

Anecdotally, I have a Samsung TV.  The little red light is on when the TV is off.  The light goes off when the TV is on.  Drives me bananas.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:46pm
Steve,
That’s a good analogy.  I hear Samsung is going to reverse that in 16.7.9. 😂😂
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:26am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Steve,
That’s a good analogy.  I hear Samsung is going to reverse that in 16.7.9. 😂😂
I'm sure that's because I posted the suggestion on their forum :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:13pm

Can you develop this a little further, perhaps with your colleague?  I have a TAS605A and a Skytrax 100.  I haven't seen the TAS traffic on the IFD100.   It stands to reason it should be there.  Does it require turning off the Skytrax 100 feed?  And in the case of dual IFDs, I suppose the TAS traffic then has to be displaying on the box which is also the WiFi output unit?
I'm assuming you have two IFDs, one configured for Ryan TCAD and one configured for Skytrax100.  You will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected.  Say IFD #1 is configured for TCAD and IFD #2 is configured for Skytrax100.  If the IFD100 is connected to IFD #1, it will display TCAD traffic.  If the IFD100 is connected to IFD #2, it will display Skytrax100 traffic.

If the assumption above is incorrect and you have a single IFD, then the Skytrax 100 traffic will take priority on the IFD and IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:15pm
Assumption correct.

IFD#1 displays Skytrax Trfc + Wx.
IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

So if I use IFD#2 as the WiFi box, and it ports out TAS traffic - will the IFD 100 get weather?

Thanks.

David Gates
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:13pm
Could you make one IFD the local WiFi hotspot, and the second remote, and have all traffic (TCAD and TIS-B) and weather sent out to Foreflight?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:19pm
I have a Lynx 9000+, which internally combines TAS and ADS-B targets and outputs to its display and any other connected display representations of both types of targets.  The resulting combo of TAS and ADS-B targets appear on my IFD and ForeFlight.

I think the key is that the box generating the targets for display must internally combine the TAS and ADS-B targets in a way that is fool-proof enough to convince the FAA that the display will not misrepresent target locations and characteristics to the pilot looking at a display.  Most boxes do not have this capability.   And the FAA will not allow a display to show traffic inputs from two different boxes at the same time, since the two would not be able to synchronize or calibrate the data with sufficient accuracy.  A box that internalizes both traffic functions can do that.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:43pm
Henry -
My solution is my Dual Aspens receive ARNC from Ryan TCAD and display TAS-A from both IFD540's display 978 ADSB from Skytrax100 (aka MLB) with UAT format + Wx.

I set my Transponder as 1090=NO and 978=YES so all ADS-R from ground stations is all in 978 UAT format.

iPad displays WiFi out from either 540 WiFi (they are cross-synched) source with UAT icon targets and Wx. 

End result is:
.  Aspens display only 1090 TAS and ADSB
.  IFD540's and iPad displays 978 UAT format ADSB and Wx.

Works great.

Tom W.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:17am
New Request:
Add support for the (GTN-only, not GNS) VNAV data stream so the IFD can provide this function to a/p that support it (e.g. G5/GFC500).

There are a couple of threads discussing this, but I don't see that it has ever been specifically requested to Avidyne hence the new request entry here.

Edited by chflyer - 28 May 2020 at 11:18am
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:36am

IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

So if I use IFD#2 as the WiFi box, and it ports out TAS traffic - will the IFD 100 get weather?
Yes, weather will still be received on the IFD100 even if you are connected to the IFD that is not directly wired to the Skytrax100 (as long as the two IFDs use crosssync)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Could you make one IFD the local WiFi hotspot, and the second remote, and have all traffic (TCAD and TIS-B) and weather sent out to Foreflight?
No, the TAS6XXA uses the Ryan TCAD protocol, which Foreflight doesn't understand.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:59am

IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

Yes, weather will still be received on the IFD100 even if you are connected to the IFD that is not directly wired to the Skytrax100 (as long as the two IFDs use crosssync)

Steve -
With my dual 540's, the IFD100 displays SOME cross-synched data, but also displays certain data from only the 540 whose WiFi is Active :
   . For example, with my WiFi #1 On: IFD100 displays Fuel & Frequency Data from #1 (since the Fuel Data is hard wired to #1-540), but if I use WiFi from #2 IFD instead, the IFD100 no longer displays Fuel, and shows #2 Frequencies. 

So Question:  If my #1-540 was hard wired to receive my TAS-A, and my #2-540 hard wired to Skytrax100 and If I display TAS-A on #1-540 and Skytrax100 on #2-540, Which traffic will my IFD100 display? Dependent on which WiFi is Active? 

Tom W.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:43pm
I don't quite get the scenario you're trying to set up, but as I stated before, you will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:41pm
Steve -
"you will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected."

Thanks you.  That is exactly what I was wanting to know. 

. So if I configure my #1-540 & Aspens to display TAS-A 1090 traffic, I will use my WiFi #1 and IFD100 will display this as well, and for UAT 980 ADSB traffic on the IFD100, I will use WiFi#2.
. Wx should cross synch from either 540-WiFi.

Very helpful info Steve - Thank you for answering.

Tom W.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:09am
OK here's another thought, applicable to those who have dual IFDs, as Tom and I both do.

Would there not be an advantage to using WiFi output from both IFDs?  The SSID and password are configurable, and I believe even the WiFi channel can somehow be specified...

Would this not increase the number of connected devices to four?  And would it not allow an IFD100 to each IFD for frequency setting etc?

Is there a gotcha or downside that I am missing?

Thanks for the info, Steve.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:34am

Would there not be an advantage to using WiFi output from both IFDs?  The SSID and password are configurable, and I believe even the WiFi channel can somehow be specified...

Would this not increase the number of connected devices to four?  And would it not allow an IFD100 to each IFD for frequency setting etc?

Is there a gotcha or downside that I am missing?

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Great question, David.
Agree, each 540-WiFi can have a separate Password & SSID and associated iPad, but I'm not sure I have room for another iPad in my Visual Scan - LOL.

Tom
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:31pm
David - Still a great question, unanswered so far.

So, maybe use IFD#1-WiFi set to "Remote" and IFD#2 WiFi might stream BOTH IFD's WiFi-Streams.  This might allow the IFD100 to receive some combo of both of the dual IFD's, allowing for example:

. Data-blocks from either IFD540, like Fuel (hard wired to say #2) + Veritas TAS Traffic (hard wired to #1 IFD) and ?? UAT ADSB traffic from #2 IFD540. 

Maybe Steve will chime in on this one.

Tom W. 

Edited by n7ifr - 04 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:36am
We are thinking the same way, Tom.  I don't see any real downside if we use discrete SSIDs.  May want to use different WiFI channels, and understand there is a way to specify that.

When we started this, there were some communications opportunities.  We were told in the past that the only TRFC which would be ported out was ADS-B/Capstone, but the doctrine now is that TAS traffic also ports out.  It is interesting to think about that - recall that the TAS unit is sending all the info to do ATAS symbology - but the IFD can't "decrypt" it...can it be set up some way such that FF or FQ can get the TAS data and do full display?  

I would set up on box on LIO_WiFI and another as a STRATUX AP, seems like opportunities to maximize usefulness....

David Gates
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:12am
On the IFD-440 would like to see another tab under the map button beside map and svs called default nav.  The page would be like the default nav page on the 430/Gtn 650. For me this would be great because I have the IFD100 app running on a second ipad on the map page most of the time, and having the screen of the 440 display course information in large easy to read numbers along with a CDI would be quite handy.  This also seems like pilots transitioning from 430's would appreciate this feature as a vast majority that I know seem to use this page quite a bit.

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:16am
Everything on that Garmin screen is available through customized datablocks on the IFD.  There is no need to create a dedicated screen for info that is already available elsewhere.  If you are new to the IFD, then give it more time before wanting to revert to what you were familiar with on another navigator.  Avidyne's IFD did not become the best GA navigator on the market by copying G or porting over their screens.  What's important is that the info is there and it's customizable no less.  There have been plenty of suggestions here about doing things the way Garmin did, not because it is better, but because that is what folks were familiar with and their "muscle memory" got in the way.  That is not how innovative products get created.  If I wanted Garmin, I would have bought Garmin.  

Bob
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:36am
I agree with Bob.

My suggestion to you R0bst3r, is to take the "default nav" information that you want to see and set up your datablocks to show that information where you want it, on a permanent basis.
Vince
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:44am
Additionally, the Zoom Mode user option can be used to increase the font size of the datablocks, LSKs, and page tabs. With Zoom Mode, you will not be able to have as many datablocks chosen for display as without Zoom Mode.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:33pm
+1 on BobH's suggestion.

Zoom mode? Did I miss a new feature?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Jun 2020 at 1:34pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:40pm
I believe Zoom Mode was introduced with IFD software version 10.2.3.1. It is second in the list of options at AUX - SETUP - User Options and described in the latest version of the IFD PG. Zoom Mode is also available on the IFD100.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:21pm

We are thinking the same way, Tom.  I don't see any real downside if we use discrete SSIDs.  May want to use different WiFI channels, and understand there is a way to specify that.

When we started this, there were some communications opportunities.  We were told in the past that the only TRFC which would be ported out was ADS-B/Capstone, but the doctrine now is that TAS traffic also ports out.  It is interesting to think about that - recall that the TAS unit is sending all the info to do ATAS symbology - but the IFD can't "decrypt" it...can it be set up some way such that FF or FQ can get the TAS data and do full display?  
I would set up on box on LIO_WiFI and another as a STRATUX AP, seems like opportunities to maximize usefulness....

David - Yes, very interesting ways to maximize traffic display... Recall, the last time you flew with me I could not figure out why my IFD100 was displaying ONLY TAS Trfc-icons.  Turns out I had my IFD#1 set to display the Ryan TCAD TAS Trfc.  Since then I have both my IFD540's displaying UAT ADSB 980 traffic.

Now I understand much better some of the subtleties. When my plane is out of annual in a couple of weeks, I will reconfigure my #1 IFD540:

. IFD540-#1 (and Aspens) to display TAS-A
. IFD540-#2 to display 980 UAT from Skytrax100
. Transponder set 980 = Yes, 1090 = No so all ADS-R is received by Skytrax100
. iPad (IFD100, FF, & FlyQ) set to display from IFD#2 - all Trfc in UAT format.

That way, I can fairly easily switch the iPad between IFD#1 <--> IFD#2 to see how the Apps display Trfc.

Ideas?

Tom W.
R0bst3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R0bst3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:18pm
I’m aware of the data blocks and zoom mode, but with zoom turned on you can’t get much data on the screen of the 440 and it’s jammed up against a map I really don’t need. So I’m proposing on this screen you could dump the map entirely and have just datablocks. 
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by R0bst3r R0bst3r wrote:

I’m aware of the data blocks and zoom mode, but with zoom turned on you can’t get much data on the screen of the 440 and it’s jammed up against a map I really don’t need. So I’m proposing on this screen you could dump the map entirely and have just datablocks.
I understand.  There’s another request at the top of this page to replicate a screen from the GNS480.  I also don’t think the IFD suffers from not having that.  If I had to pick a “Default NAV Page” it would be different from your “Default NAV Page”.  The programmable data blocks mean I don’t have to settle for yours and you don’t have to settle for mine.  We can each have our own.  In addition, each user of the same unit can have their own preferences.  Also, with the IFD 100, I get to have that on a big screen right in front of me regardless of where the IFD is on my panel.  I think that all makes for a pretty well-designed navigator.  Everyone has an old friend they left behind when they moved to the new neighborhood.  All I can suggest is that you try to make new friends before deciding that you prefer the friends you grew up with in the old neighborhood.  Just give it a chance.

Bob
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

David - Still a great question, unanswered so far.

So, maybe use IFD#1-WiFi set to "Remote" and IFD#2 WiFi might stream BOTH IFD's WiFi-Streams.  This might allow the IFD100 to receive some combo of both of the dual IFD's, allowing for example:

. Data-blocks from either IFD540, like Fuel (hard wired to say #2) + Veritas TAS Traffic (hard wired to #1 IFD) and ?? UAT ADSB traffic from #2 IFD540. 

Maybe Steve will chime in on this one.

Tom W. 
I've never tried such a complicated scheme, but here's my postulation...

Remote mode just means that the IFD is a node on a different network.  You're proposing to have #2 IFD in local mode, thus establishing the network, and having #1 IFD and the IFD100 both connected to that network.  Normal cross-syncing should work between both IFDs and IFD100.  But, ADS-B in data is not transferred between real IFDs using WiFi.  The IFD100 will still just get the ADS-B data from the sensor wired to the IFD to which the IFD100 is connected. 

Of course, you can just try it.  If you do that, report back what you find.  I suggest you start a new thread for it, though.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:46am
Then a new feature for the IFD100 would be to allow changing the chassis ID from the app itself, rather than having to go into the settings of the iPad to it. 

I understand the IFD100 to really be an additional screen/remote terminal for whatever IFD is is connected to, so it can only work with one device at a time. The chassis ID tells it what device it is connected to. It would be nice to have an easy way to switch between devices from within the app. I guess you'd have to tell it both chassis ID and device type.

Edited by HenryM - 07 Jun 2020 at 8:56am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:17am
[/QUOTE]
I've never tried such a complicated scheme, but here's my postulation...

Remote mode just means that the IFD is a node on a different network.  You're proposing to have #2 IFD in local mode, thus establishing the network, and having #1 IFD and the IFD100 both connected to that network.  Normal cross-syncing should work between both IFDs and IFD100.  But, ADS-B in data is not transferred between real IFDs using WiFi.  The IFD100 will still just get the ADS-B data from the sensor wired to the IFD to which the IFD100 is connected. 

Of course, you can just try it.  If you do that, report back what you find.  I suggest you start a new thread for it, though.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve (& Henry on followup ) - 
Yes a bit overly complicated way to allow the IFD100 to switch between panel IFD's.

Not sure of the value, except to experiment to see if by chance:
. the two ADSB-types (1090 & 980) might be combined on the IFD100 display
. the panel IFD's hard wired data-blocks like Fuel & Frequency info could be accessed...

Can't wait for my annual to be done to experiment.

Tom W.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:25am
Feature Request: Between altitude constraint

Is there a reason the FPL can show "at or above", "at", and "at or below", but not "between"?  I was just looking at a procedure where the IAF was between 6000 and 3900, but the IFD shows at or above 3900.  

It looks like there is enough real estate on the line when not in "edit" mode, but it's full when selecting the field to edit.  I get needing the "before" text since you want the clarity if someone enters a distance other than 0 in the cross field, but it is preventing you from displaying published data even when crossing over and not before the fix.

How about not displaying "before" in the edit screen unless someone enters something other than 0.  Then, if you need the space in the off chance that someone is doing "before" and "between", let that line scroll off the screen when editing so you have to swipe left/right to get to the fields if you need them.  I think there is enough room for it all show up properly once not editing the fields and if you need a little more room, move that entire line left a little to take up all the real estate.

Edited by brou0040 - 05 Jul 2020 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic