Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppesen is awful

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeppesen is awful
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:05pm
Oh good grief.  My Jeppesen subscription is up, and I tried to renew electronically.  First, I wanted to review the packages they offer via the website.

I start at www.jeppesen.com.  Next, I click the link to the Jeppesen Direct store website.  On that page, near the upper left, is a header for "Avionics Data", with logos for Garmin and Avidyne.  I click that link, and get a, "Sorry, this page is not available" error, with a link to report a broken link.

Really??!?  Aaargh!  If this was a rare occurrence, it'd be okay, but with Jeppesen, IT IS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL.

BTW, if you click on "Report a broken link", you're presented with a form that has FIFTEEN FIELDS to fill out before you even get to the field where you can write your message.

There is no government agency with more bureaucratic confusion or customer disservice than Jeppesen.  It is RIDICULOUS how awful this company is at actually conducting business.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:18pm
I would suggest you never use the website, it needs major fixing.

Generally, the sales reps on the telephone are reasonable, but as is often reported here, some reps' knowledge can be spotty.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Mar 2018 at 5:57pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:36pm
I am currently on the phone with a rep.  She is as confused as I am about why it costs almost as much to get only a Nav+Obs+Terr subscription vs. the bundle that includes the charts that I don't want or use.

If I could get the Nav+Obs+Terr bundle that's available for 440s on my 540, I'd be happy.  But so far I can't.  Even the phone rep thinks this is dumb.

Argh.

Edit:  The Nav + Obs + Terrain selected ala carte were $50 less than the bundle including the charts.  I don't use the charts at all, so saving $50 is better than nothing, but...really??

Edited by MysticCobra - 23 Mar 2018 at 12:53pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

I start at www.jeppesen.com.  Next, I click the link to the Jeppesen Direct store website.  On that page, near the upper left, is a header for "Avionics Data", with logos for Garmin and Avidyne.  I click that link, and get a, "Sorry, this page is not available" error, with a link to report a broken link.

I reported that broken link weeks ago. Never got a reply and clearly it still isn't fixed.
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

I reported that broken link weeks ago. Never got a reply and clearly it still isn't fixed.
Actually, while I was on the phone with the rep in the last few minutes, it started working.  It takes you to some pages that have little information and no pricing, and then tell you to call a rep for help anyway...sigh.

I expressed some of my frustrations to the rep, and she was shocked...shocked!...to hear that people don't enjoy dealing with Jepp.  "People love us," she said.  "Um, not really," I told her.  She said she was taking it as a personal challenge to turn my mind around.  I told her that was a tall order, but we'll see.  Supposedly, she's talking to some of her management to "see what we can do for you".  

She also agreed that their website is atrocious, said that Boeing is "working furiously" to completely overhaul the website, and that's why certain areas aren't working.  Don't know when that project will be finished, but I suspect not anytime soon.

Edited by MysticCobra - 23 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:09pm
"Monopoly and competition, basic factors in the structure of economic markets. In economics monopoly and competition signify certain complex relations among firms in an industry. A monopoly implies an exclusive possession of a market by a supplier of a product or a service for which there is no substitute. In this situation the supplier is able to determine the price of the product without fear of competition from other sources or through substitute products. It is generally assumed that a monopolist will choose a price that maximizes profits"

The monopolist will generally charge prices well in excess of production costs and reap profits well above a normal interest return on investment. His output will be substantially smaller, and his price higher, than if he had to meet established market prices as in perfect competition. The monopolist may or may not produce at minimal average cost, depending on his cost-output relationship; if he does not, there are no market pressures to force him to do so.

If the monopolist is subject to no threat of entry by a competitor, he will presumably set a selling price that maximizes profits for the industry he monopolizes."

This is why we need Seattle Avionics!

I also had to do the annual "spend" an hour with the folks in Colorado. Talked to 3 different reps, all three answers and prices were different. I asked why it is just not published on the web site for easy consumer access, the response was "Well, We are owned by Boeing and they make the rules."

I hate that we don't have a choice on this BS.

Edited by nrproces - 23 Mar 2018 at 4:12pm
Sauce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

I asked why it is just not published on the web site for easy consumer access, the response was "Well, We are owned by Boeing and they make the rules."

Jepp's been part of Boeing now for almost 20 years.  That's long enough to integrate; there should be no "us" and "them" anymore.  Such a comment is just another sign of corporate dysfunction.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:52am
When I activated a Jeppesen account a couple of months ago, the rep was upfront about the website not working properly for bundle purchases. Of course, he couldn't explain why the website didn't make that clear. It also sounded like the ETA for getting that full functionality is quite a ways off.

As for pricing, I had no difficulty getting the complete usa nav and obstacles bundle at the 440 price (about $580) even though I was using it for my 540.   Perhaps the key is that I asked for the 440 bundle upfront as I didn't need the charts. Because the updates are tied to your tail number and not a specific box, it doesn't matter whether they are installed in a 440 or a 540.   As others have mentioned, the single downloads through JDM are used for multiple IFD's in an airplane, so it makes sense they would have to work for 440s, 540s and 550s.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 26 Mar 2018 at 10:54am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

As for pricing, I had no difficulty getting the complete usa nav and obstacles bundle at the 440 price (about $580) even though I was using it for my 540.
This is good to know.  I thought about just ordering the 440 bundle and trying it to see if it would work, but I was a little too chicken to do it.

Quote As others have mentioned, the single downloads through JDM are used for multiple IFD's in an airplane, so it makes sense they would have to work for 440s, 540s and 550s.
I thought this was the case, so was also surprised when the rep asked me--on three different occasions during our discussion--to confirm that I only needed a package for a single IFD box.  I wanted to ask her what different that would make, but didn't want to add any further confusion to the discussion, so I simply held my tongue and repeatedly confirmed that I had only a single IFD.

Edited by MysticCobra - 26 Mar 2018 at 4:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic