Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Version 10.2.2 on warranty returned IFD-540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Version 10.2.2 on warranty returned IFD-540
    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:43pm
I just received my IFD-540 back from a warranty covered trip to the factory.  It went to Avidyne with version 10.2.1 software on it.  It came back with version 10.2.2 software on it.

I can't find any documentation regarding the 10.2.2 software and what, if anything was changed, fixed, or updated.  A search here on Avidyne Live only shows 2 posts that mention 10.2.2. 

One post references a support engineer telling a customer that a 10.2.2 fix would an unreliable connection between devices issue, in post titled "IFD440 Remote Mode".  The other post was about a feature request that might be in a 10.2.2 release before a 10.3.  The search page results are here: http://avidynelive.com/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20180612143750&KW=10%2E2%2E2

If anyone can shed some light on the details of the 10.2.2 version changes from 10.2.1, please let me know or better yet point to a web reference for this information.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 8:18am
I'd also like some information as to version 10.2.2 as I was planning to have version 10.2.1 installed next week.  If 10.2.2 is just around the corner I'll wait 
Frank
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:14am
10.2.2 is primarily a factory support release to support alternative memory chips.  There are no changes to the FMS, radio, etc.  There was one minor change to the WiFi processor that was intended to help the reliability when connecting to remote access points (like a Stratus or SkyRadar), but it won't affect anything that's already out there and connected.

The factory is only allowed to have one version of software to load on an IFD, and it's always the latest version.  As a result, boxes that come back for warranty repair will go back out with 10.2.2 installed.

Bottom line is that nobody needs to update to 10.2.2.  For all practical purposes, it's the same as 10.2.1.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:38am
Steve,

It is so nice to have you here.

Are you going to Osh?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jun 2018 at 10:39am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Steve,

It is so nice to have you here.

Are you going to Osh?

* Orest

Yes, I'm planning to be there Friday through Sunday.  I might end up there Thursday afternoon, but the schedule is still firming up.  Hope you can stop by!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
The minor change to help with reliability of remote WiFi will be helpful for me.  My IFD-540 remotely connects to my Lynx NGT-9000+ WiFi.  I was seeing my WiFi connection from IFD100 or Foreflight disappear after 5 or so minutes, before sending unit back to the factory.  My IFD's trip to the factory was for a "Unit Overtemp".  Funny thing was that the IFD-540 still showed the "green" WiFi icon on the top right of the screen, even though it was not visible to other devices on the same Lynx WiFi that the IFD was supposedly on.

I have only had a short flight from my repair shop to my home airport and all worked well.  I am hoping that the factory trip for my IFD and the 10.2.2 have taken care of this WiFi issue.

Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:23pm
thanks for the information.....I appreciate it.
Frank
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

10.2.2 is primarily a factory support release to support alternative memory chips.  There are no changes to the FMS, radio, etc.  There was one minor change to the WiFi processor that was intended to help the reliability when connecting to remote access points (like a Stratus or SkyRadar), but it won't affect anything that's already out there and connected.

The factory is only allowed to have one version of software to load on an IFD, and it's always the latest version.  As a result, boxes that come back for warranty repair will go back out with 10.2.2 installed.

Bottom line is that nobody needs to update to 10.2.2.  For all practical purposes, it's the same as 10.2.1.

Hi Steve

I am the guy who submitted the Wifi traces to Tech support showing the problem with the REMOTE mode and SkyRadar.  

I sure need the 10.2.2 version.  How do I get it?

Gene Allevato
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Gene, I'll have someone contact you next week to see what we can arrange.

Edited by AviSteve - 23 Jun 2018 at 10:01pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:15pm
For what it's worth, the avionics shop updated my IFD540 today (from v10.2) and automatically was given v10.2.2.  From this I infer that 10.2.2 must be the official "current" release.
Phil_anthropist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_anthropist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:49am
I finally got my IFD540 installed and went as directed to myavidyne.com to register where it showed my unit as warranty expired.

The warranty must have expired while the unit was sitting on the shelf at the avionics shop.  Is this possible?  I thought it would start when I took possession of the unit.

If this question has been answered I apologize, I only found one post from Feb 2015 that seemed close to relevant.

Regards
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Phil_anthropist Phil_anthropist wrote:

I finally got my IFD540 installed and went as directed to myavidyne.com to register where it showed my unit as warranty expired.

The warranty must have expired while the unit was sitting on the shelf at the avionics shop.  Is this possible?  I thought it would start when I took possession of the unit.
The warranty period starts when the unit is purchased by the consumer.  

If you bought the unit directly from Avidyne, then it sat on the shelf somewhere before it was installed in your plane, then this is analogous to buying a TV and bringing it home, but leaving it in the box for a year before pulling it out and hanging it on the wall.  The warranty starts when the device was purchased, not when it was first used.

If your unit was sold to you by an avionics shop, but they had purchased the box from Avidyne months before, then the warranty should start when the unit was sold on to you.  That's analogous to Best Buy having a TV in the warehouse for months before it makes it to the store.  The warranty starts when you walk out the door with the TV, not when it reaches the warehouse.  If this is your case, then you should be able to work with your shop and/or Avidyne to address that.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:22am

If this question has been answered I apologize, I only found one post from Feb 2015 that seemed close to relevant.

Regards
Get in touch with Paul Nelson (pnelson at avidyne dot com).  He'll get it straightened out.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Phil_anthropist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil_anthropist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 7:09am
Thanks for the info.
AviBryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviBryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm

Regards

Feel free to email pnelson@avidyne.com or me at bkahl@avidyne.com and we will get you all set up! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic