Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New FIS-B products from FAA - on SkyTrax100?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New FIS-B products from FAA - on SkyTrax100?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
Hi:

I just got an email from the FAA stating that several new FIS-B products are slated to go live on ADS-B.

Cool.

So, when might I be able to use those products with my cool IFD440s via my SkyTrax 100?

Thanks!

Doug Anson
N208LG
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:59pm
Hi,
I asked them about this a couple days ago and was told that these items should start displaying automatically as soon as they are inserted into the data stream.   Hopefully we should see these new items soon.

Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 5:32pm
A reliable source? 
I heard the equipment mfg. have to modify software to enable the displays
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:31am
AviSteve answered this in another thread-- see the last post at http://forums.avidyne.com/new-adsb-wx-products-coming-soon_topic1500.html?KW=FIS-B.

There are 2 different pieces to this.

The receiver grabs the ADS-B data stream. It isn't supposed to reformat it or do anything with it except demodulate it and pass it on to the display unit.

The display unit reads the data stream and displays it using whatever symbology it's set up for. 

Avidyne, Foreflight, and other people *may* have to update their display software to handle the new data. The data stream spec has included provisions for these new FIS-B data items for a while, it's just that the FAA wasn't transmitting them. Display vendors who are on the ball might have already included and tested code to display them, but I am betting most didn't. 

Avidyne did not, so they will have to update the IFD software to display the new data.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic