Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Number of devices allowed for wifi?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number of devices allowed for wifi?
    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:28pm
IFD 440.  Wifi and bluetooth set up, and working.
Bluetooth for the keyboard.  Works good.
Wifi for  the IFD 100 works good.
WIFI for the FltplanGo app seems to be intermittant.  
In Track Up mode, the map shifts left and right about 30 or 40 times a minute, and the speed and altitude blocks on the HUD are intermittant correct, and then "way off".
I am curious if the WIFI can only accept one (1) device  at any one time.
FltplanGo says it is a weak WIFI connection.  
I did not check the connection data when I was flying, so have no way of knowing until next weekend.
Anyone have insight into this?

IFD 440 10.2.1
fltplan go app version 4.7.14 Build number 1027
Ipad version 11.4 (15f79)
model mr7j2ll/a
128 gb capacity, with 113.73 gb available.

Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:31am
Are you runing the IFD100 and Fltplan Go on two different tablets? If so, could one of the tablets be having a hardware issue?

I know that Avidyne has demonstrated multiple instances of IFD100, on simultaneous multiple tablets. I have not read of any number of devices limitation.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Sep 2018 at 7:31am
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Are you runing the IFD100 and Fltplan Go on two different tablets?
Yes. Two IPAD tablets, one with IFD 100, and one with FltplanGo, and JeppFD.  The FltplanGo and Jeppfd IPAD tablet is new, less than 30 hours run time on it.  The issue is only with the IFD 440 connected to  THAT IPAD.  I have used the DUAL Xgps150A, with no issues. (Albeit, as a stand alone connection with FltplanGo, and it is Bluetooth. So, if it is a WIFI issue, that would not tell me much.)

If so, could one of the tablets be having a hardware issue?
If they are having hardware issues, it happened on THAT flight, with THAT FltplanGo app, with THAT exact time that I looked at it, and THAT IPAD, (which, since it is new, having a hardware issue is NOT that far fetched.)  
After taking the "TRACK UP" mode off of the FltplanGo app, and putting it into "NORTH UP", the map shifting issue went away.  
The JeppFD app on the same device as FltplanGo, has no issues, in any mode.

I know that Avidyne has demonstrated multiple instances of IFD100, on simultaneous multiple tablets.

I was not aware of this.

I have not read of any number of devices limitation.
Nor I, but I thought I would ask, in case I missed it.
I guess the next step is to go fly, and check all of the connection data on FltplanGo.
I am not one to pass up an opportunity to fly, to "check on" something, or other.

Thank you for your reply.
Regards,
Randy

Regards,
Randy
cvela90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvela90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
Hmm. How responsive is the iPad when that happens? Did you have many apps opened at the time?  Sounds like that app is running out of resources or using too much processing.  Something similar is what made me stay away of the FlyQ efb app. It was causing my iPad to eat battery and was not smooth. 
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:36pm
This is the only reference I am aware of regarding maximum number of iPads WiFi connected to a single IFD: "(a maximum of 2 iPads can be connected to a single panel IFD)."

This quote came from the IFD100 QRG downloadable from the Avidyne website. My only question is whether the 2 iPad limit quoted is a limit for those iPads specifically running the IFD100 app or does the two iPads limit apply regardless of app used? 
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by cvela90 cvela90 wrote:

Hmm. How responsive is the iPad when that happens?
I do not know.  I didn't have a need to push any buttons or anything.

Did you have many apps opened at the time? 
I had the FltplanGo app open, and running. All the other apps were off, even the system page.  Oddly enough, when I placed FltplanGo into NORTH up mode, and the map stopped shifting, I went and opened JeppFD, and when it was operating normal, I was flipping between the FltplanGo and JeppFD app, but never went back to the TRACK up mode in FltplanGo. All operated normally.  

Sounds like that app is running out of resources or using too much processing.  Something similar is what made me stay away of the FlyQ efb app. It was causing my iPad to eat battery and was not smooth. 
I thought of that.  So I emailed FltplanGo tech, and they said it was the "weak GPS".
I will know more, either tomorrow, or this weekend.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

This is the only reference I am aware of regarding maximum number of iPads WiFi connected to a single IFD: "(a maximum of 2 iPads can be connected to a single panel IFD)."
It makes sense if one thinks about it.  The WIFI signal is only so strong.

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

This quote came from the IFD100 QRG downloadable from the Avidyne website. My only question is whether the 2 iPad limit quoted is a limit for those iPads specifically running the IFD100 app or does the two iPads limit apply regardless of app used? 
I do not know.  I would assume 2 physical units.
Thank you for your reply.
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 1:23pm
I believe the 2 iPad limit for connection to the Avidyne IFD's WiFi is for devices running the IFD-100 app.  The IFD-100 app has a setting where you have to identify the IFD-100 on your iPad as either device #1 or #2.  Those are the only two options.

If you are using the Avidyne IFD's WiFi as the access point for other devices or apps beyond the IFD -100, then I believe you can have more than 2 devices.  So theoretically you could have 2 simultaneous instances of the IFD-100 app running on 2 iPads and a 3rd, or more, device(s) running Foreflight, or other connections, to connect to the IFD's WiFi, etc.

Caveat, I have not tested this setup and am only discerning from the literature and knowledge of WiFi setups.  YMMV
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic