Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JPI EDM 930 and IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JPI EDM 930 and IFD540
    Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:03am
Does anyone know the hardware connections and software settings required to get the two talking to each other?  It may be as simple as a setting in the 540 because the previous owner of the airplane also had a 540 installed (which he kept and replaced with a 530 non-WAAS when he sold the plane).  
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:48am
To talk to the 830, the 540 needs on an RS232 channel, Shadin-fadc (IN) and Aviation (OUT). 

* Orest

shufflehuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shufflehuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 9:50pm
My JPI930 and IFD540 setup wants Shadin-fuel on an RS-232 input instead of Shadin-fadc. Shadin-fadc gave me no fuel data on the IFD. Shadin-fuel seems to work perfect and populate all the fields. I also had to make a couple settings changes on the JPI, but I don't have those settings handy. 

Edited by shufflehuff - 27 Sep 2018 at 8:29am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:48pm
dup

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Sep 2018 at 11:30pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by shufflehuff shufflehuff wrote:

My JPI930 and IFD540 setup wants Shadin-fuel on an RS-232 input instead of Shadin-fadec. Shadin-fadec gave me no fuel data on the IFD. Shadin-fuel seems to work perfect and populate all the fields. I also had to make a couple settings changes on the JPI, but I don't have those settings handy. 

That is fadc. ;)

Shadin-fadc/Aviation certainly works for me, I get fuel data on the IFD540, and GPS distance on the JPI. Even have the JPI OAT propagating.

If that doesn't work for you, it may have to do with what you have set on the JPI.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Sep 2018 at 11:30pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:24pm
Thanks for both sets of comments.  I'll see what works for mine.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 27 Sep 2018 at 2:24pm
SWooding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWooding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 12:05am
What were the settings on the JPI930 that you changed.
Trying to get mine to play together.
Thanks in advance.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 1:06pm
I used the Shadin-fadc/Aviation settings suggested by orest and am now getting fuel information on the 540.  But I'm not getting fuel to waypoint, etc. on the 930 (those fields are showing but are greyed out) so apparently the two still aren't fully talking to each other.  This is with a flightplan activated on the 540.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:18pm
On the JPI 830 (probably identical on the 9xx) you need to select the GPS/waypoint or GPS/destination (paraphrased) data IN settings. Believe those are options #6 and #7 in that setting.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Oct 2018 at 4:19pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:26pm
Thanks, I'll check that out.
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 10:30pm
does anyone have a CGr 30p hooked to a 440. I have a Baron with new install and I have aviation on output and off on input. That’s what was recommended to installer. Seem to be hit or miss. CGr 30 will read fuel remaining but no times that I have seen to destination and burn. Any ideas? Thanks
Khuffine
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:58pm
I had a CGR30 and an IFD540 in my previous plane, and they worked flawlessly together. (and next month I'm taking my IFD-equipped Baron in to get CGRs installed). I realize that's not specific enough to help, but maybe it's reassuring that the combination has been proven to work.

Can you clarify what you do and don't see? 

- On the CGR you should be able to see the name, distance, and time to the next GPS-selected waypoint.
- On the Avidyne you should see all the fuel data on the fuel page, plus a range ring where the diameter changes as you adjust your fuel flow (and thus burn).

It sounds like you're seeing correct data on the Avidyne but not on the CGR. Is that correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic