Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aspen Integration with IFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aspen Integration with IFD
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
Well, I'm confused.  Now that I have finished my simple Trio autopilot installation, along with an Aspen 1000 PFD and MFD, and a backup Garmin G5 (no more vacuum), I don't understand how OBS works anymore.  It appears that it doesn't, and there is less function with the Aspen attached than with separate VOR indicators.  Am I missing something?  Does anyone in the group have a similar config and can explain what OBS will do now that I have an Aspen?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 11:23pm
Try this, Make sure the primary source is selected using the center button (should show GPS1, in this picture VLOC1 is selected), then  after selecting OBS on the IFD, twist the left knob to select the course you want.

PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 9:08am
Thanks, Ibraham, I'll give that a try.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:57am
Hello Peter,

Were you able to try the OBS?

PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:45pm
Hello Ibrahim,

Yes, I was able to configure it. It does seem to work, although after using it my instructor’s comment was that with all the features in the IFD, it almost seemed unnecessary.  

Thanks for your help. 
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:47pm
There are certain situation that it may be useful

1- If ATC asks you to intercept a radial inbound (or follow one outbound that is not on an airway), you can set it using the OBS and the magenta line will appear both on the IFD and Aspen
2- You can use it to set a specific radial to a destination airport,  that could be a runway heading and it will show you the extended runway course
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic