Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD "plug-in" for x-plane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD "plug-in" for x-plane
    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:17pm
Reality XP provides sim products for plug-in to x-plane for both the GNS and GTN series GPS nav/coms. This really helps to integrate the GPS nav/com into the proficiency practice of the x-plane sim. Has anyone heard if this company or another has any plans to incorporate an IFD sim into x-plane?

The IFD Trainer is very useful and much appreciated for learning unit operation and testing what-if scenarios at home. But having the unit in a full-blown sim such as x-plane for keeping up IR proficiency on a cold winter day would allow practice of IFD use in realistic simulated IFR environment.

Perhaps Reality XP might perceive a market for the product if they were to be bombarded with requests from the IFD user community (hint, hint). The GTN product costs about $50 and an IFD plug for x-plane would certainly be worth as much.

I would hope that Avidyne would be ready to support such a 3rd party effort to the extent of making information available for development of such a plug-in....  IFDs were popping up in x-plane simulators all over the place could give considerable free advertising in the form of exposure to a lot of pilots.
Vince
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
See this thread:  http://forums.avidyne.com/ifd540-integration-into-training-simulators_topic479.html?KW=x%2Dplane

Doesn't look like it will happen any time soon (no software hooks in the simulator), although I agree it would be nice.  
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm
@ AZ Flyer: Vince contributed to the thread linked above, back in 2016 and 2017.

However, I'm not going to let this topic die. There is still demand. Accept and feed data to/from the instrument sim from/to a flight sim. Preferably over TCP or UDP/IP. That way the IFD sim can be on a different device than the flight sim. I fly X-Plane 11 on a Linux machine, so am not thrilled with the idea of Windows-only or MS FS-only solution.

@togadriver has the expertise to assist.
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
TCP/IP, please.  UDP is a pain.  And, yes, if Avi puts some hooks in the sim to supply GPS location info TO it, and then output the 429 data in some format (preferably not in 429 sentences) I could probably build the plug-in(s) to support it.  

The Plug-In SDK indicates that each platform needs its own compiled plug-in which means 3 implementations and three sets of testing hurdles.  Since I'm mac based, I could code and test the mac one, but do not have x-plane running on the other two platforms.

Short answer:  if the hooks ever get put in the iPad app I'll give it a whirl for the Mac OS and make the code public so others could port it to Windoz and Linux.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 5:50pm
I would be first in line to buy such a plug-in! It would be worth more to me than most of the airplane plug-ins you can currently buy. 

Next, it would be nice if the simulator showed up on the panel of the plane I'm flying or if RealSimGear provided a panel 
todoftempe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote todoftempe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 12:25am
I agree that an IFD plug in for X-Plane would be incredibly useful.  I would gladly pay $100-200 if it worked well.
2006 SR22 IFD550 / IFD440 / DFC90
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by todoftempe todoftempe wrote:

I agree that an IFD plug in for X-Plane would be incredibly useful.  I would gladly pay $100-200 if it worked well.

Me too.
embpic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote embpic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
I think they are getting close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDwHtkBD0Q
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Yes, that's the video posted in the "IFD integration into simulators" thread. But it looks like one needs to remove the actual unit from the aircraft and wire it to the sim, something I think has significant risk if done often. At least there is some progress though.
Vince
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Yes, that's the video posted in the "IFD integration into simulators" thread. But it looks like one needs to remove the actual unit from the aircraft and wire it to the sim, something I think has significant risk if done often. At least there is some progress though.

Agree. Not something I'm willing to do. We need to be able to connect to the instrument simulator application. That should be easier than connecting all of the wiring to a harness and thence to a USB->RS-232 adapter.
todoftempe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todoftempe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 11:48pm
How hard would it be to slide an IFD550 out?  I do not know how the wiring works in the back.  Does it slide into a "back plane" type connector or are there many different cable that have to be removed from the back of the unit?
2006 SR22 IFD550 / IFD440 / DFC90
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 12:19am
Some turns of a hex key, and it slides out very easily, like most other avionics.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Feb 2020 at 12:20am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:22am
Yes, it slides out easily same as the GNS boxes. I did it quite a bit with my GNS430W due to the effort to enter user waypoints and flight plans. However, one needs to be VERY careful sliding it back in as any pin misalignment during reinsertion of the plugs (DB-style) can easily cause one or more bent pins. It is sometimes removed for software updates at my avionics shop if the tech is not in the area and can do it in the plane which is always preferable. But the idea of constantly removing and reinserting just to use with a sim seems asking for trouble if you ask me.

I queried RealSimGear about Avidyne support, given their coverage of a wide range of Garmin gear and their response was quick:
"We have had a few requests lately for Avidyne products, however there is no software available to run them at the moment.  We always like to hear from people about the types of products they would find useful, as we regularly discuss what to work on next, so we appreciate you getting in touch.  

We will most likely took to find a software solution and add some Avidyne products in the near future."

Anyone on the forum wanting x-plane support for Avidyne avionics should definitely write to them to express interest. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the more interest that is expressed the likelier they are to put something out for us.

https://realsimgear.com/

Vince
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:10pm
Although short of the highly-desired integration into X-Plane or FS, I recently discovered simulation/training capability that may or may not be widely known:

1) Run the IFD trainer on one iPad (I use a 2d generation Mini),

2) Run the IFD100 app on another iPad connected to the same network as the first iPad (I use an 11" iPad Pro for this),

3) Once those are connected, start Foreflight on the iPad running the IFD100 app.  When this is done, the IFD, and another device called ADS-B, show as devices in the Foreflight tab.  And Foreflight tracks the simulated flight just as it would any normal flight with altitudes, tracking, etc. functioning (although I don't think the simulated traffic shows in Foreflight, which is fine with me).

I knew about 1) and 2) but not about 3).  I find this useful for a variety of reasons, including testing the IFD100 app (which seems to work great), but also using the geo-referenced approach charts and the simultaneous split synvis screen in Foreflight.  As I don't have charts on my IFD, I rely on Foreflight for my charts and so this is essentially how I use the iPad running Foreflight in the real plane (although, of course, it is not necessary to run IFD100 on the iPad in the airplane in order for Foreflight to connect to the IFD).

One of the interesting tests is to see how long it takes when switching between the IFD100 app and Foreflight before the active app syncs with the trainer.  It is never instantaneous, the quickest I've observed is about three seconds, and it can take up to six or seven seconds for the IFD100 app to fully sync with the IFD when switched from Foreflight (and about the same visa versa).

It would be great if there could be faster switching between the two (the IFD100 app and Foreflight), or even better, to permit both to be fully functioning simultaneously so there would be no lag and even displayed in separate windows at the same time.  Of course, the iPad used would have to support multitasking, but that capability has been standard on at least the iPad Pros since their initial release some years ago.  I would assume that both Foreflight and the IFD100 app would also have to be multitasking-enabled for this to work.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 08 Feb 2020 at 5:15pm
Stan
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:24pm
Any movement on this?  Since I'm shelter in place in California have had a lot of time to fly my simulator.  I sure wish I had an IFD to navigate with on x-plane instead of the GTN 750...   I dare say I'm getting more proficient with the Garmin than what I have in my actual airplane...  :(

vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:29pm
I wonder... would Avidyne consider releasing the code for the IFD trainer in a "community" version? Put a shapshot out on Github or somewhere so one or some of us could work on an FSX/X-Plane integration? @avisteve?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

Any movement on this?
Sorry, no further progress on this.  We've just been busy with other priorities.

Originally posted by vancinad vancinad wrote:

I wonder... would Avidyne consider releasing the code for the IFD trainer in a "community" version?
No, because the trainer app is just a wrapper around the actual flight code.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
vancinad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vancinad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:30pm
What about just the wrapper -- the iOS code? It seems that must be where the position information is being generated and injected into the IFD. We just need a way to push positions from the simulated aircraft in, perhaps through the same path as is used by the trainer app's flight controls.

Even if Avidyne is unwilling to allow community participation, does the implementation I'm describing seem plausible? (This is just curiosity now!)
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:26am
It doesn't work quite like you're thinking.  The iOS wrapper wouldn't do you any good.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
spoticus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spoticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:15pm
I’d like to add additional value to investing in x-plane integration.

First, I’m candidate for upgrading one 530W and two 430Ws in my two real airplanes. The units work, but the reality is they need to be replaced someday. Possibly in the next 12 months. The integration of the GTN 650 into x-plane is affecting my decision. I had a 650 in the Mooney 201 I sold last year. I never used many of the 650 features. I didn’t like the way the unit worked, so never invested much into learning the 650 other than directTo and loading an approach. 

I bought the RealityXP integration of the Garmin trainer into x-plane a long time ago when I had the Mooney, but never used it much. Recently, a friend bought a A36 with a GTN 750 and wanted some help figuring out how to use the 750. This past week, I took some time flying x-plane with the RealityXP plugin and figured out how to use the 750. Now that I know how to use it, and have experience flying somewhere using the 750 (albeit in x-plane), I don’t quite dislike it as much. I can’t say I’m a fan of Garmin’s UI/UX, but I get how it works.

I don’t have that fuzzy good feeling about the IFD. It looks good on paper. The iOS trainer works, basically. But its not the same as using the device to conduct a flight.

When I first got the Mooney, and put a 650 in the Mooney, I was surprised and disappointed. Now that I’ve learned how to use the 650/750 (they work the same), I know what it is and could tolerate the unit as an upgrade to my venerable 530W/430W. This makes me pause when I think about upgrading to the IFD. At this point, I feel like I have to fly a couple of missions with an IFD before I could commit to upgrade my 530W/430Ws to IFD units. Tough to do since I don’t know anybody with an IFD in their airplane.

This is where the value of x-plane integration becomes material. Like a lot of potential Avidyne customers, giving them the experience of flying the IFD in a simulator could tip the balance towards Avidyne; assuming that the IFDs are as awesome as Avidyne says they are :)

As a software engineer myself, my gut tells me that the IFD I/O layer is abstracted, else how did you build a iOS “wrapper” rather than horrible scattering of I/O concerns into the core of the app? But what do I know. Only the Avidyne engineers could calculate the complexity of x-plane integration. Whatever that cost, the IFD product owner or sales team should consider making the capital investment for integrating the IFD trainer into x-plane. It would affect my purchasing decision and I suspect many others.

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:42pm
And then there is the upcoming release of the long-awaited update to Microsoft's flight sim.
Stan
Jmfmem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jmfmem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:24pm
I also strongly believe Avidyne should make the sim integration into x-plane and other simulators a part of their marketing strategy and also as a product for pilots by pilots.  I use my home sim with x-plane to practice IFR procedures all the time.  In the last year I upgraded my 430w to ifd 440s. I so wish I had a way to practice the procedures with the Avidyne products. Yes the IPad trainer is awesome but the learning would be so much better if were linked to x-plane like the GTN 750 is with reality xp software.  Without a significant outlay of money I have a touchscreen GTN 750 working with x-plane and it has helped me really learn that box.. If avionics companies would get that realistic integration of their boxes into home simulators would increase adoption of their products and greatly increase safety as we could so easily simulate our different flights and scenarios, etc.  it would also help the environment because we could maintain our systems proficiency without burning so much gas. Please, please Avidyne figure out how to do this be it with another computer or even with the new Microsoft flight sim. It will increase your market share and the proficiency of your users.
I will be first in line to buy this product.
John Freeman
Memphis, TN

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 3:09am
+1

But I don't think this really depends on Avidyne, but rather on RealityXP. They develop for their perceived demand and are really Garmin-centric for rather obvious reasons.

Bottom line, I think the only way we'd ever see a touchscreen IFD540 working with x-plane like above with the GTN/GNS is if RealityXP is bombarded with requests from IFD users. I don't know how many registered users there are of Avidynelive, but thousands of requests to RealityXP might just have some impact. I would hope that everyone here is doing that, but suspect that not to be the case.
Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:31am
Depends on what kind of integration you want.  A 3rd party plug-in will likely create an on screen simulation, Avidyne would likely integrate your iPad into x-plane.

I can see both ways, but for those with dual IFDs, I can see them wanting on screen simulations instead of needing 2 iPads.  Personally, I would like to use my IFD100 the same way I do in my real cockpit so I'd like to use it as an IFD100 in addition to on screen simulations, but would be willing to give that up if the only solution was to use the iPad as the in panel IFD.
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 10:24pm
This is yet another reason I regret going with Avidyne. I lover the IFD's, but there is zero customer support. I have a beautiful panel and the only thing I constant recurring issues with is my IFD 540 and IFD 550. My brand new IFD550 would not load a software update due to due to a bad computer and Avidyne sent me a used one prior to ever being installed in the plane that will not keep the radar button every time time I update charts? My IFD540 computer crashed years ago soon after install when the power went off during a software update years ago, and yes it was replaced with a used one that still has some other dudes registration and tail number on it. At least it works. My latest issue is trying to get the IFD's to get glideslope for RNAV and ILS from my new GFC600. Also, the two GPS's are not talking and no radar button! All I ever get from Avidyne is trouble which is a shame bc their units are really nice to use and the perfect size. They just do not help you out when they don't work. My TWX only clutters my screen with false strikes and is a piece of junk, waste of money. It has never worked and they just shrug their shoulders. I still not comprehend how I got a used IFD550 even before it was installed in the plane, but paid full price for it. Crap service. 

PS The only reason I don't have a flight sim yet is well..... I can't build my panel due to Avidyne. I am seriously thinking of redesigning my panel and getting GTN series. 
Chuck Gell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic