Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sirius XM music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sirius XM music
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:31pm
I want to get their service. 

What device do you use to get their signal? 
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 7:48am
I have a Garmin 696 panel mounted which has a XM weather and Radio antenna. It it wired to my Avidyne 550 and audio panel as well for cross fill of flight plans and alerts.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
I have a Garmin GDL 69/A connected to my IFD540 and AMX240 audio panel. Integration works great with a page on the AUX tab to switch channels, control volume, and mute.  I also wired external toggle switches to change the channel, volume, and mute.  Works very seamlessly.
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:39am
I use a SXAR1 xm wx  portable receiver

Audio input is done through a small bluetooth receiver plugged into my Aux input on PMA450.

Tuning is done through foreflight.

Bonus is that I can take this xm radio anywhere there is a device ( Car / boombox etc ) that has an Aux input
Ed
210 Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:12pm
Did you ever have the WX working on your GDL69A? I’d like to try the WX to see if I like it on the IFD540, otherwise may as well get rid of it. I can see and click WX products on the IFD but they don’t show up on the screen...
I had music show up but never could get it to play, but I think I only paid for the WX to test it.

Rob
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 2:32pm
I have music and weather from a GDL 69/A on my IFD540 and it works fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:02am
Did you have it running when you pulled the G530? I hadn’t bothered to activate mine prior to the new 540, so we think it needs a firmware update. My buddy has offered up his 530 to do the update, hopefully this week!
How do you find the WX options on the GDL69A and their display on the 540 vs WX on other displays? Trying to decide if I should drop the XM WX on my AERA, to have it on the 540.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:23am
On my installation, I originally had the MLB700 for weather until SiruisXM turned off the feed. I then purchased a used GDL69/A. So, I've never had it connected to a G product.

I think the MLB700 weather was slightly better than the GDL69/A, but that is a function of the feed, not the display. I've had weather on an Aera before, and have seen it in a number of different airplanes I've flown.

Weather depiction on the IFDs is very clear, sharp, and the refresh rate seems to be better in the recent year with the upgrade to the back end processing from SiruisXM.

I much prefer the GDL69/A audio because I can change channels and manage it from the IFD rather than the silly remote I could never remember how to use.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:27am
Definitely agree about the remote. The GDL 69 is way better. On the few times I remembered how to use the remote, I couldn’t see what was on the screen. :(
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 2:27pm
An update. I reconnected an "old" 496 and just have XM music that comes through the panel.

No XM weather. I get that through the Garmin 345.
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 8:22am
Here in Australia we tune into AM radio broadcast music on the ADF / NDB Old school style. XM MUSIC?.... what's that?
My god you guys in the US Have it good.
Cheers
Ax

VH-UAR YMMB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:18pm
I do that to but hard to listen in the mountains!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:19pm
You get XM WX through the 345, or the free ADS-B WX?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic