Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.3.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

Since doing the 10.2.3.1 update, every time I power on my IFD540, (others say their IFD440 does the same), it displays the bottom end of my data blocks and I have to scroll back to the top. Has any one else had this issue and is there a way to correct it so that it displays the top end of the data blocks?  Avidyne any fix here?
The engineer investigating this has identified a workaround.
  1. Go to the Datablock Setup page
  2. Touch scroll the datablocks on the right side to the top
  3. Touch the top right side datablock to select it
  4. Using either touch or inner knob, change the selected datablock to anything else
  5. Using either touch or inner knob, change the selected datablock back to what you want
  6. Wait a second or two and then cycle power

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:40pm
Interesting, will give that a try this afternoon!

* Orest
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

The engineer investigating this has identified a workaround. ...

It worked!

Thanks.

* Orest
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:20pm
Awesome tech support!
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:51pm
I just finished doing it as well on an IFD550 here and that did work.   Excellent!
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:35am
Originally posted by scott_757 scott_757 wrote:

Did the update on my IFD 440 this morning along with my SC and everything completed with no errors but now getting an "ADS-B GPS Position Invalid: ADS-B Traffic Sensor lacks GPS position" error on my IFD.  It's connected to a FreeFlight RANGR and everything worked before the IFD upgrade.  The input/output configs on the IFD match what they were before the upgrade.  Any thoughts on what to check?

Mark me down as a third.  I'm suprised nobody responded to this.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:29am
Originally posted by wb8wka wb8wka wrote:

Originally posted by scott_757 scott_757 wrote:

Did the update on my IFD 440 this morning along with my SC and everything completed with no errors but now getting an "ADS-B GPS Position Invalid: ADS-B Traffic Sensor lacks GPS position" error on my IFD.  It's connected to a FreeFlight RANGR and everything worked before the IFD upgrade.  The input/output configs on the IFD match what they were before the upgrade.  Any thoughts on what to check?

Mark me down as a third.  I'm suprised nobody responded to this.
The new software requires a change to the configuration (I think on both the FreeFlight box and the IFD).  To change it requires a maintenance action/signoff, so have your installer call tech support.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
N8906M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N8906M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:01pm
Me too - just finished Annual and did the latest release, and flew back home, with GPS inactive...big Red X. Going to the menu at home airport, no satellites.  Is this a "settings" issue ??  Would appreciate any assistance at troubleshooting.
Peter Smith-Johannsen
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:19am
did the antenna wire get disconnected during annual?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:56pm
If the unit was pulled from the stack to do the update,  be sure that it is properly reseated.

* Orest
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:55pm
Was there improvement to the way the IFD540 displays traffic from a TAS6xx unit?  Previously, My combination if IFD540 and TAS620A had reliable traffic to 10NM. After the update, on my recent few flights, I seem to have more reliability in the traffic, and the range seems to now be out to 15NM.  I have not activated the /A in my TAS unit yet.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Was there improvement to the way the IFD540 displays traffic from a TAS6xx unit?  Previously, My combination if IFD540 and TAS620A had reliable traffic to 10NM. After the update, on my recent few flights, I seem to have more reliability in the traffic, and the range seems to now be out to 15NM.  I have not activated the /A in my TAS unit yet.
No, nothing changed.  We'll have a look for something unintentional.  If we find anything, we can dial it back down :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
fdombroski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdombroski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:36am
I have been having a similar issue as N8906M with my IFD440, I have intermittent GPS failure, where the unit is not acquiring any satellites. 

Edited by fdombroski - 28 Jul 2019 at 1:00pm
2003 Columbia 350
Vans RV-8
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm

The new software requires a change to the configuration (I think on both the FreeFlight box and the IFD).  To change it requires a maintenance action/signoff, so have your installer call tech support.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a fishing pole, and he will fix his IFD

Once tech support told me what 10.2.3.1 broke, in that now you can't have split baud rates on a single serial port on the IFD, I figured it out pretty quickly.  The real clue, at least for me, was that WX and traffic FROM the FDL-978 was still working (at 115.200 baud as before).  The FDL-978 has some nice tools for debugging, the "GPS" command showed no fix from the IFD, and then changing the baud rate to 115,200 IN  from 9600bps on the FDL-978 immediately got me a GPS fix.

Yes, I'm aware Avidyne will restore split baud rates in the next release, so will have to change the FDL978 back. 

And no worries, my AP was working along with me all along.  It's important to note most AP's and many avionics shops are struggling to keep up, so I want to thank Avidyne for working with us owners who are computer savvy and "in the business".  More information is better for us as well, I'd like to start to see errata sheets and change logs with your new releases, it would have saved me and my AP alot of time and less calls to your tech support.

Here is a short video of the FDL-978 at 115,200 in with the GPS command running. This was taken about 30 seconds after I changed the serial in from 9600bps to 115,200 and my error message ont he IFD550 went away.

Edited by wb8wka - 26 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 5:26pm
Nice detective work. 

If they restore the split baud rate, why would you want to go back as opposed to just leaving the system that works in place? I m just curious, not saying what is right.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Nice detective work. 

If they restore the split baud rate, why would you want to go back as opposed to just leaving the system that works in place? I m just curious, not saying what is right.

I wouldn't but I'm not sure that will be an option.  GPS position reports at once a second at 9600bps are not very verbose compared to ADS-B in data.  So I'm not sure we will lose anything and of course Avidyne wants to be compatible.  The FDL-978 is really easy to configure as long as your maintenance serial port was brought out. Terra term and three hits of enter key gets it's attention.  They also are very helpful on their tech support.  If you are at Oshkosh still, they are in the same building as Avidyne, Brad was the one that helped me here and I think he is at the booth

P.S. I added a video to the message above showing the GPS command on the FDL-978. 

Edited by wb8wka - 26 Jul 2019 at 5:36pm
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm

Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

Since doing the 10.2.3.1 update, every time I power on my IFD540, (others say their IFD440 does the same), it displays the bottom end of my data blocks and I have to scroll back to the top. Has any one else had this issue and is there a way to correct it so that it displays the top end of the data blocks?  Avidyne any fix here?
The engineer investigating this has identified a workaround.
  1. Go to the Datablock Setup page
  2. Touch scroll the datablocks on the right side to the top
  3. Touch the top right side datablock to select it
  4. Using either touch or inner knob, change the selected datablock to anything else
  5. Using either touch or inner knob, change the selected datablock back to what you want
  6. Wait a second or two and then cycle power

Just completed the 10.2.3.1 update yesterday to my IFD540 and IFD100. This same general workaround also appears to work on the IFD100 datablocks only instead of cycling power in the last step, fully close / reopen the IFD100 app.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 6:37pm
Anybody else having issues with setting a designated waypoint in the IFD100 with the latest sw 10.2.3.1 compatible IFD100 update?

While in MAP mode, I have tried selecting the designated waypoint datablock in about every way possible and cannot get it to open the virtual keyboard to enter a designated waypoint. BTW - I have not specifically tested the designated waypoint datablock on my IFD540 with sw 10.2.3.1 yet so I cannot say at this point if exhibits the same non-responsive behavior or not.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 8:11pm
Known problem that will be fixed in the next IFD100 release.  See http://avidynelive.com/ifd100-v-10-2-3-1-update_topic1764_post21807.html?KW=Designated#21807
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 8:18pm
Thanks Steve!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:10pm
I know one of the fixes with 10.2.3.1 was to eliminate nuisance "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" alerts.   It does seem like it fixed it as I was only getting an intermittent warning like that after the install but on my last several flights, I've been getting that alert about 5-10 minutes into the flight as before the update.  Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:29pm
Yes, I’ve received those alerts as well, but less frequently.  I’ve assumed it’s because now the data loss is real to some extent, but I’ve not been able to confirm that. 
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 8:31pm
I still get it often out here in Nevada.   There must be something in the data that is seen as corrupt or missing that is tripping it.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 2:58am
What happened before 10.2.3.1 was the you could not clear the the error and the AUX button would stay lit all the time whenever there were not airmets or segments. After 10.2.3.1, you can clear the message. The datalink message is saying that no airmets or sigmets have been received for a while, which is true when there are no airmets or sigmets to report. 
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 3:02am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

What happened before 10.2.3.1 was the you could not clear the the error and the AUX button would stay lit all the time whenever there were not airmets or segments. After 10.2.3.1, you can clear the message. The datalink message is saying that no airmets or sigmets have been received for a while, which is true when there are no airmets or sigmets to report. 

If so, perhaps an idea for the next software revision might be to have the datalink error message say: "No SIGMETS or AIRMETS Reported" instead of indicating some kind of "error" has occurred.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:07am
My AUX button does stay lit still.  I can clear the CAS message that pops up but the AUX button stays lit the rest of the flight.  This has been happening consistently on my last several flights.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 10:34pm
Does anyone know if the IFD’s export GPS AGL information through the MapMx protocol? I was curious if this GPS info is passed when an IFD is connected to a Garmin G5...and thus allow a GFC500 to enable underspeed protection through its ESP feature. I could not find much in the way of details on this through many internet searches.

Edited by dmtidler - 22 Oct 2019 at 8:46am
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 10:40pm
I took another trip recently, and the Aux button does stay lit, however, you can clear the message on the screen now. It used to stay on. 

Edited by HenryM - 22 Oct 2019 at 3:46pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 2:02am
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Does anyone know if the IFD’s export GPS AGL information through the MapMx protocol?
GPS AGL is not in the MapMx interface.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:44am
Thanks Steve!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 12:52pm
Would it be a big deal to add it, or is the MapMx interface contents outside Avidyne‘s control?
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 1:13am
MapMx is out of our control.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:28am
My understanding is that an IFD can display traffic received via RS232 and also transmit it out to mobile devices via wifi, but cannot display any traffic available(received) via wifi from a mobile device.

Is that correct? If yes, is it ever likely to change?
Vince
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:50am
That is my understanding also.  I do not think it will change - it has to do with a certificated device using data from a portable device.  The FAA doesn't generally like that.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:01am
I think you may likely see a change in that in the future.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:05am
Deleted by author.

Edited by compasst - 09 Mar 2022 at 10:36am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

My understanding is that an IFD can display traffic received via RS232 and also transmit it out to mobile devices via wifi, but cannot display any traffic available(received) via wifi from a mobile device.

Is that correct? If yes, is it ever likely to change?
Yes, that is correct for now.  10.3 will allow the IFD to receive ADS-B from portable wireless devices (e.g. Stratus)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 10:41am
Thanks Steve. That's good news. One more reason to look forward to 10.3 in Q3 as indicated last June

;-) sorry, couldn't resist.
Vince
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 1:11pm
That is great news.  So, if the IFD receives traffic and weather from a stratus via wifi will it be able to send that to an Aspen?

Thanks,
Yoram
AviLance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviLance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 2:56pm
No, weather and traffic received over WiFi from a portable device will stay local to that IFD and will not be forwarded over any wired interface.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 10:45pm
Welcome AviLance!

* Orest
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 11:34am
I would love to see the approach plate altitudes listed on the waypoint flags when flying synthetic vision. It would from making another flip back to flight plan view to verify. Just a thought for single pilot IFD. It’s also a big flag!!

Khuffine
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 5:27pm
This is one time when I'm happy to be wrong.  We use our IFD540 with a Stratus 2.  Will it work with all models?
AviLance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviLance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 8:59am
Unfortunately any model of Stratus prior to the Stratus 3 will not work. Prior models use an encrypted in-house protocol as opposed to the now more standard Capstone (GDL-90) protocol that many EFBs are expecting and we support. The Stratus 3 was the first model to support both methods of communication.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 9:14am
That's not a big deal.  We use the Stratus 2 and a couple iPads with ForeFlight.  This has been a wonderful combination and I don't think we would bother with traffic or weather on the IFD if it were available.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by AviLance AviLance wrote:

Unfortunately any model of Stratus prior to the Stratus 3 will not work. Prior models use an encrypted in-house protocol as opposed to the now more standard Capstone (GDL-90) protocol that many EFBs are expecting and we support. The Stratus 3 was the first model to support both methods of communication.

So the Stratus 3 will work.

What about the new Foreflight sold Sentry units? Is their data encrypted?

* Orest
AviLance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviLance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 9:39am
Yes, the Sentry units use that same encrypted protocol - which is the reason they currently only work with Foreflight. I have talked with some of the engineers at Foreflight/uAvionix to see if they will add the Capstone support with moderate success. Hopefully we will see it supported in the future.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by AviLance AviLance wrote:

Yes, the Sentry units use that same encrypted protocol - which is the reason they currently only work with Foreflight. I have talked with some of the engineers at Foreflight/uAvionix to see if they will add the Capstone support with moderate success. Hopefully we will see it supported in the future.

Ok, well, for the moment it is academic, until the next IFD firmware release.

* Orest
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 4:23pm
What, if any, non-Stratus devices will work?  Should I build a Stratux?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic