Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppesen Data Update While on a Trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeppesen Data Update While on a Trip
    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:00pm
As I contemplate a long vacation circumnavigating the country I’m wondering how I can update the nav data on my 440 mid trip, since my own computer (iMac) will have to stay home.  Looking for info from those who’ve had to deal with the issue.  I know there is a Bad Elf device used for Garmin navigators but Avidyne?
Gary
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:43pm
Are you staying in a hotel while on your trip, they usually have a business center on the premises and most likely a computer that would have a USB port. Voila, a solution.

If you are camping, perhaps you could use the FBO computers at the fuel stops?  JMO
Sauce
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:00am
I was thinking that the computer has to have the Jeppesen JDM App installed.  Hotels aren’t likely to have it.  Is it common that an FBO would?  I just haven’t noticed it.
Gary
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 3:26pm
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:14pm
Are you leaving 10 days prior to the new data update?
You can usually download the NavData a week to ten days before it is effective. Take the USB sticks with you and do the data update on the ramp the day you need it.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:39pm

That is quite a bargain!

* Orest
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 6:51pm
CAUTION!! This unit comes loaded with "Windows 10 in S Mode".  S Mode is VERY restrictive - understand before you buy...
Jim Patton
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:14pm
I may actually have to update over two cycles.  Still, I have a hard time spending $250 plus, for the Bad Elf device and perhaps only use it once.  Anyone out there have experience with it?
Gary
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

CAUTION!! This unit comes loaded with "Windows 10 in S Mode".  S Mode is VERY restrictive - understand before you buy...
Whoops--yes, that is a very good warning.  Thanks for pointing that out.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
Isn't it easy to get out of S mode? The Store app has a setting to switch out of it. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:28am
Yes, it is, unless they've changed it recently ...

How to Leave S Mode

To leave S Mode, open the Store app on your PC and search for “Switch out of S Mode.” The Store will guide you through taking your PC out of S Mode. ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/354057/what-is-windows-10-in-s-mode/

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Apr 2019 at 8:28am
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:11am
Another choice is a used/refurbished laptop.  These are usually units that were used commercially and are now off lease or otherwise swapped for newer ones.  https://www.rtrcomputers.com/ is an example of a place that sells them but there is probably a similar company near you.  Cosmetic condition can vary a lot so if you can go to the store and pick one out that's probably best.

You might also find a decent used computer or someone locally who buys and sells them on Craigslist.

The battery may be shot, in which case a new third-party replacement will probably cost $20 - $30.
Lachgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:39pm
Thanks for the ideas, all!
Gary
Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic