Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aspen/IFD540 Final Approach Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aspen/IFD540 Final Approach Issue
    Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 6:36pm
I’m posting here & Facebook forum...I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction with an instrument approach issue I am experiencing with my Aspen 2500 platform & IFD540.  I have had my IFD540 a couple months now & I’m still learning.  My issue is & has been that on any final approach, I am lined up to the runway about 10 degrees to the right.  It’s like an offset to the right of the runway about 75-100 feet which is annoying!  The Aspen 1000 Pro shows the same thing but IFD540 CDI shows right on.  Basically, the Aspen is showing the correct position in relation to the runway.  Does anyone, Avidyne or otherwise, know what I can do about it?  Thanks.

Edited by donemory - 14 Jul 2019 at 6:44pm
Don
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:08pm
Did you contact the installer? They should be responsible to correct that, could be a configuration issue
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:49am
You could have them check the configuration on the IFD: 

ARINC 429 Input Selection should be set to Honeywell EFIS
Selected course, heading, and joystick waypoint information from the following EFIS systems: Aspen EFD1000 (If connected to an ACU1, set the ARINC 429 speed to low speed. If connected to an ACU2 and using ADF, RADALT or Remote OAT data set the ARINC 429 speed to high speed, otherwise low speed.)

ARINC 429 Output Selection should be GAMA 429 Graphics w/ INT for the Aspen EFD1000 

Note:  When integrating an Aspen EFD1000 with a dual IFD5XX/4XX installation, ensure the “CRS SDI” field in the Aspen setup pages (page 18) is set to Nav 1/2 and not Common.

donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:51am
Thanks for the comments.  I have not contacted the installer yet but guess that’s what I need to do which I’m dreading.  They are all backed up with installations!  So no telling how long it will take. I was hoping it was a user setting I could adjust.  :-(
Don
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:29pm
Is this an ILS or RNAV approach? The Aspen and the IFD should always be indicating the same nav source automatically but I'd verify it.

Also, the IFD does have a "lateral offset"function but I think that's only available while it's in "enroute" mode. It would be annunciated on a LSK key on the FMS page so something else to check.
Ron L
matthewsjl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewsjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:46am
Assuming you have the setting correct fr the 429 lines as pointed out above, all the Aspen is doing is displaying the IFD information about course/track etc.

It goes without saying that you should be using the Aspen as the primary display for the approach and not the IFD little CDI display. Is it the right hand data block CDI that you are looking at?

You said that the Aspen seemed correct. If you fly with the Aspen correct, does the IFD CDI show an offset?

I have a theory: the Aspen CDI scales as you move into approach mode. That is that only 0.3nm is full scale deflection. I wonder if the scaling isn't matching on the datablock CDI. That may make the difference for the IFD CDI showing centered but the Aspen being correct?

John.
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:07am
Thank you for your comment John. You are correct, I am using the Aspen PFD as the main source for the approach but comparing it to the CDI on the IFD540 right data block as you mentioned.  I have not did the reverse as you suggest but will.  In addition, I am going to work with my installer but first I have an upgrade coming up next month on the Aspen to the MAX upgrade and we will see if that makes any difference as that is suppose to increase the Aspen communication speed which I have heard has been a problem in the IFD540 install with an Aspen...IFD540 high speed vs current Aspen low speed. However with all that being said, I am inclined to believe I have an IFD540 configuration problem as the GPS position is sent from the IFD540 to the Aspen...stay tuned!
Don
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

I was hoping it was a user setting I could adjust.  :-(

The parameters mentioned are set in maintenance mode on one of the config tab pages. So even if you don't feel comfortable changing the settings yourself, you could check the current values vs the suggested ones above.... I assume you know how to get into maintenance mode?

Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewsjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:56am
There is no CDI offset function in the settings AFAIK - if you think about it, this would be very dangerous as GPS/NAV signals are meant to be spot on and not tampered with.

We really need to know if you're flying and the Aspen is centered (and you are centered on the approach path), what does the IFD CDI display.

John.
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 12:07pm
I think I may be able to help! Avidyne has a known problem that causes you to be right of the approach course as you are describing. I noticed it after installing stec 3100 because it flies right of centerline and they blamed the problem on Avidyne. Avidyne is supposedly working on a fix. Hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewsjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:17am
Can you share details of the known problem? It seems pretty fundamental to me that nav needs to be accurate. Nothing like popping out at minimums to not find the runway where you thought it was if there is an issue.......

John
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 310pilot 310pilot wrote:

I think I may be able to help! Avidyne has a known problem that causes you to be right of the approach course as you are describing. I noticed it after installing stec 3100 because it flies right of centerline and they blamed the problem on Avidyne. Avidyne is supposedly working on a fix. Hope this helps.
I've heard of this before, but it's my understanding that it's a 3100 issue.  I'll speak with the STEC guys next week to get further clarification and then I'll post back.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 5:12pm
I don’t use the CDI on my IFD 540 (didn’t know it had one!!), so I was first introduced to this problem after the install of the 3100. 
My Aspen shows the gps course to be to the left but the stec does not make the appropriate course correction. So the coupled GPS approach always leaves me right of course. This problem only pertains to stec 3100 with Avidyne GPS. This is probably not the original intent of this thread but wanted to throw this out in case it’s related.
Stec points at Avidyne and Avidyne blames Stec...either way it translates into a problem. Both companies supposedly have fixes In the que.

Edited by 310pilot - 18 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic