Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KT-74

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KT-74
    Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:57am
I have a KT-74 in my aircraft that utilized the 430/530W as a GPS source. is the IDF 440 an approved source? Seems is should be as it is a clone of the Trig T33 just like the Avyadyne Transponder. I cannot find any info on this subject.
Claude
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
The IFDs are approved GPS sources.  That is all I have in my plane
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 1:53pm
Is there any documentation? The STC does not mention the Avyadyne IDF's only the Garmin units, Freeflight, and the King 700 series.
Claude
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:16pm
The FAA does not list the IFDxxx as an approved position source for the KT-74. The odd thing is that the BK AeroNav 800/900 isn't there either. (That's the IFD540/440 rebranded under the BK name.) Which would seem to indicate that the KT-74 can't be driven by BK's "own" equipment. Very curious.

The Trip TT-31 is not approved either. Only the Trig TT-22 has Avidyne on the list.

There was another post here a while ago about using non-approved position sources. The bottom line is that it's not an easy thing to do.

Mike

Edited by mfb - 20 Jul 2019 at 6:36pm
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:17pm
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 2:48pm
OK, I see the AeroNav 800-900-910, which are basically Avidyne rebranded units are being offered by Bendix King. Are these units going to be compatible with the Bendix King KT-74 or are they going to try to sell these navigators as incompatible with their own transponder?

Maybe someone from Avidyne can chime in here and tell me what they plan to do if anything about getting their GPS as an approved source.

When I bought my IDF 440, it was installed and configured by Sarasota Avionics.

They knew my airplane was equipped with a KT-74. It passes all the ADS-B tests.

I did not realize it was not approved until someone on another board mentioned it as a reason they could not go with Avidyne (which they wanted) but went with a Garmin 650.

Now when people I know that are in the market for a new Navigator ask me how I like my Avidyne IDF 440, I have to ask, did you go with a KT-74 for ADS-B out with your 430W or 530W, witch I am sure there are quite a few that did because it was (and is) a cost effective way to get ADS-B out. If you do not wish to change out your probably recently installed KT-74, You probably better look at another brand as the Avidyne IDF series are not currently approved.

Now the 64 dollar question. Is Avidyne planning on fixing this?   
Claude
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:40pm
My guess is that it is BKs problem and not Avidynes.  BK is simply buying and rebranding the IFDs because they don’t have a GPS navigator of their own. I don’t see why that makes Avidyne responsible to make changes to be compatible with Kings transponder unless the companionships have an agreement to that effect. 
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:15pm
I am at Oshkosh all this week. I’ll try to talk to Avidyne and BK and find out.

Mike

allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:16pm
Well, let me startover again. Damn computer just lost what I wrote.

Anyway, If the problem is an internal issue, it will be on Avidyne's dime to fix it because they manufactured it. What I am hoping against hope is that it is a certification issue as the 440-540 is an approved GPS source for their own Transponder, and I believe it is a Trig clone just as the KT-74.

If the weather ever breaks around here (heat, rain, heat) I am going to fly a round robin route and submit an FAA ADS-B function report using the Avidyne transponder. The KT 74 is not listed. I will share how that comes out.

Claude
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:19pm
What happened to that King 770. Did it never go into production?
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:22pm
I would appreciate it. Tell them I am not a really happy camper on this issue, would like to know are they going to fix it or leave us hanging out to dry.

Claude
Claude
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:14pm
I have trouble understanding why every certified box with standard protocol (ARINC-429 or RS-232) requires an STC. The whole point of standards is that boxes become compatible by adhering to them. Back in the day, did every NAV radio require an STC to interface with every Omni Head? I don't think so.
Have your avionics shop hook it up and do a field approval. It shouldn't be any more difficult than that.

I have a G5 AI in my aircraft, it requires an STC since it isn't a certified AI. My aircraft is not on Garmin's approved model list. It was simply an omission on Garmin's part even though my aircraft meets all the criteria ( <= 6 seats & <= 6,000 lbs.). When I called Garmin, they agreed with me, but stated "We don't have any plans to re-issue the AML." Thank you Garmin! So, it was installed with a field approval. The position source for the G5 is my IFD540. The install was done in Feb 2018, which I believe is well before there was any literature reference to G5 and IFD540 being compatible. I believe others on this forum installed G5s even before I did also via field approval.

Oh, and my very ancient Collins DME is hooked to my IFD540.

Edited by Bob H - 21 Jul 2019 at 10:24pm
Bob
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

I am at Oshkosh all this week. I’ll try to talk to Avidyne and BK and find out.

Mike

OK, I talked to both BK and Avidyne folks at Oshkosh. They were standing right next to each other so there was no finger pointing.

They were all aware of the issue with the KT-74. They agreed that they were "working on it." They said that there were no big technical problems but that the paperwork had to be pushed through the FAA. No one was willing to make any predictions on how long that would take. Everyone hoped it would be "soon."

That's all for now.

Mike

allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:02am
Ithank you for the update.
What I did today was select the Avidyne Transponder of the ADS-B FAA test flight. Went up and and flew a round robin flight.

Quarried the FAA board ADS-B flight check. Even though I selected the Avidyne Tx, all tests past except the ground air test. Did it again except kept Tx in standby until I lifted off, and then turned it on. On landing I set it to standby again.

Redid the FAA test and everything came back AOK.

So I know its working. I am just going to leave it like this and wait for Avidyne to come up with a fix......
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:45pm
Ok, here is what I finally found on KT74 and IDFXXX boxes.

1St, The IDFXXX series WAAS Navigators are an approved GPS Source for the KT74 ADS-B Compliant transponder.

Avidyne sent me the relevant pages from their IDFXXX install manual (ver 17) that describes the settings, etc on both the KT74 and the IDF.

Bendix King sent me documentation and approvals. On software version 3.18, the peregrine STC no longer applies. Also, no data or squat switch is required.

Bendix King sent me the relevant pinouts, ie P1001 PIN 56 from the IDF to J2 PIN 3 on the KT74, and P1001 PIN 8 from the IDF to J! PIN 5 on the KT74.

My KT74 is Software Version 3.12 and needs to be updated.

The pinouts on my installation may or may not be correct.

Taking my plane back to Sarasota Avionics to check, and if they do have to remove the trays, have them hook up the Alt audible and my Fuel digitizer.

Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic